Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
What's the difference between these two Winegard antennas?

http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-Company-FL-5000-FlatWave-Digital/dp/B0063705PE

http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-FL5500A-FlatWave-Amplified-Antenna/dp/B00BN5Z2WM

One is $75 and the other is $39.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

One is amplified.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
We basically only have cable tv services (FiOS) in our house so my wife can watch mindless HGTV, TLC, Bravo, or ID Discovery. We have a roku 2 HD and an LG Smart TV as well as other small devices (android stick, raspberry pi, old OC) laying around.

Would I have a convincing argument with her on cutting cable if I can show her she can still tune into these channels?

If so, how?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

raej posted:

We basically only have cable tv services (FiOS) in our house so my wife can watch mindless HGTV, TLC, Bravo, or ID Discovery. We have a roku 2 HD and an LG Smart TV as well as other small devices (android stick, raspberry pi, old OC) laying around.

Would I have a convincing argument with her on cutting cable if I can show her she can still tune into these channels?

If so, how?

Legally? Depends on the show, but you can purchase shows from Amazon, iTunes, etc. Bravo, TLC and ID have seemingly random full episodes available online for free, but HGTV requires a TV provider login.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 24, 2013

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Alot of hgtv is on Hulu.

However USA, TNT, AMC etc. which used to allow you to watch free online now require a cable TV subscription.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Lowness 72 posted:

Alot of hgtv is on Hulu.

However USA, TNT, AMC etc. which used to allow you to watch free online now require a cable TV subscription.

You can also use a friends cable login though.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is Amazon Prime/Instant Video worth it? I was browsing through the library this weekend at my friend's place and it seems like most of the stuff isn't actually free to stream, but costs a few bucks to "rent." I always thought it would be exactly like Netflix where it's either free to stream or not available period.

(Amazon Prime is worth it I know but I'm trying to decide if I should buy it and find 4 others to split it with in SA Mart, or if I should just give my friend a couple bucks and hop onto his existing account (which means I don't have the free streaming video).)

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is Amazon Prime/Instant Video worth it? I was browsing through the library this weekend at my friend's place and it seems like most of the stuff isn't actually free to stream, but costs a few bucks to "rent." I always thought it would be exactly like Netflix where it's either free to stream or not available period.

(Amazon Prime is worth it I know but I'm trying to decide if I should buy it and find 4 others to split it with in SA Mart, or if I should just give my friend a couple bucks and hop onto his existing account (which means I don't have the free streaming video).)

I have Prime but still watch probably ten times as much stuff on Netflix. It seems like everything on Amazon is something I'm not interested in or it's on Netflix already. It might just be harder to find stuff on there, though. Netflix is pretty good about recommending stuff but I always just end up browsing the most popular on Amazon, which never changes.

You can filter by prime elligible stuff here, if you haven't figured that out: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sv_mov_aiv_3?ie=UTF8&node=2858778011&field-is_prime_benefit=1
There are apparently 15,000 movies and 2,100 TV shows (though TV is split up by season and HD/non).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
There's a handful of exclusives on Amazon. Off the top of my head is Justified, which is a really good show and probably worth the price of admission.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
I cut cable a couple years ago, and had my TV do a scan for digital and analog signals (built in HD tuner), and got something like 16 channels. Ignoring the shopping, religious, and SD versions of the HD channels, I had 6 watchable channels (four local news in HD, PBS in HD and WGN). Turned the TV on this morning to find that four of my HD channels were not receiving a signal, so I ran the scan again…

I think someone dun goofed. I have around 61 watchable channels now. Disney, MTV, SciFi, Discovery, all those good channels.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think the vast majority of stuff that is free with Prime is also on Netflix. There are a few things that are exclusive to one or the other, and Amazon has stuff that you can buy/rent that isn't streaming on Netflix at all.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

DominusDeus posted:

I cut cable a couple years ago, and had my TV do a scan for digital and analog signals (built in HD tuner), and got something like 16 channels. Ignoring the shopping, religious, and SD versions of the HD channels, I had 6 watchable channels (four local news in HD, PBS in HD and WGN). Turned the TV on this morning to find that four of my HD channels were not receiving a signal, so I ran the scan again…

I think someone dun goofed. I have around 61 watchable channels now. Disney, MTV, SciFi, Discovery, all those good channels.

They didn't actually turn your cable off when you cancelled.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

withak posted:

They didn't actually turn your cable off when you cancelled.

I'm aware. They installed a filter on the pole by the road. The scan found 16-ish channels when that was done. I've not seen any cable trucks recently, so I've no reason to believe that the filter has been removed, other than whatever reason my TV is now receiving over 60 channels now.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The filter may have failed. Sometimes they let stuff through when their internals get funky.

Also if you were hooked to cable this whole time you've probably been receiving unencrypted channels that aren't cut out by the filter. That or you have a very leaky cable or connector that is allowing OTA channels on to the cable. :v:

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

If you buy things off of Amazon regularly, it's worth the price for free shipping alone (especially so if you're a student) and free streaming is a nice bonus. If you already have Netflix and don't buy much off of Amazon, it's probably not worth it.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
So I finally got a Winegard Flatwave per recommendation of this thread and...

It seems like it DETECTS more channels during the scan, but I can only still watch a few of them. Also now I'm not getting several channels which I did get with my other RCA flat antenna thing. I only have one window (sliding glass door actually) in the living room, nestled among some of the other buildings of my apartment complex. Am I screwed?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Casyl posted:

If you buy things off of Amazon regularly, it's worth the price for free shipping alone (especially so if you're a student) and free streaming is a nice bonus. If you already have Netflix and don't buy much off of Amazon, it's probably not worth it.

Yeah, like I said I was going to get Prime regardless. I don't think I buy enough to warrant the full $79 price for it, but I see goons are selling "family" spots in SA-Mart for $16 or less which looks like they get all the same features minus the Instant Video streaming cause that's just for the primary account. Was just debating if I should buy in on an existing account and skip the Instant Video, or if I should buy Prime for $79 and split it with others.

So far the Amazon app on PS3 completely sucks and is really slow, and most of the things I search for are only available to rent. I have Netflix for streaming and I've never looked into it, but I think iTunes has more or less the same movie/show library if I want to rent a movie right? So it looks like I'll just buy in on an existing account unless someone else can convince me otherwise.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah, like I said I was going to get Prime regardless. I don't think I buy enough to warrant the full $79 price for it, but I see goons are selling "family" spots in SA-Mart for $16 or less which looks like they get all the same features minus the Instant Video streaming cause that's just for the primary account. Was just debating if I should buy in on an existing account and skip the Instant Video, or if I should buy Prime for $79 and split it with others.

Pay the full and split it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Gozinbulx posted:

It seems like it DETECTS more channels during the scan, but I can only still watch a few of them. Also now I'm not getting several channels which I did get with my other RCA flat antenna thing. I only have one window (sliding glass door actually) in the living room, nestled among some of the other buildings of my apartment complex. Am I screwed?

Is the Flatwave in exactly the same spot as the RCA was? If so you may be better off with the RCA. Other than that you may need to fool with positioning some. http://tvfool.com/ can help you with placement and orientation for your area.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

Everyone's house is different. Did you get the amplified version?

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Took forever, but I finally got my TV and antenna. 68 channels. :eek: Was not expecting that, even if a majority are in Spanish.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

We have a "Roku HD" (model 2500X on the back, this one I think) and I saw the Netflix app doesn't have Profiles. Does anyone know if this is something that Roku has to/can update?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

We have a "Roku HD" (model 2500X on the back, this one I think) and I saw the Netflix app doesn't have Profiles. Does anyone know if this is something that Roku has to/can update?

http://blog.roku.com/blog/2013/11/12/new-netflix-on-roku/

It twill make it to the Roku 3 at some point, other models are up in the air.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Roku takes forever to update stuff. Add at least a month or two to whatever release dates they publish.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Well, poo poo! It finally happened. Comcast started encrypting local basic channels in my area.

According to TVfool and/or Antennaweb, I should be able to receive all my local OTA channels at -35dBm at 19 miles line of sight. Any cheap, set-top indoor antenna should work for me, right? Mohu Leaf, Winegard Flatwave, or something even cheaper?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

goku chewbacca posted:

Well, poo poo! It finally happened. Comcast started encrypting local basic channels in my area.

According to TVfool and/or Antennaweb, I should be able to receive all my local OTA channels at -35dBm at 19 miles line of sight. Any cheap, set-top indoor antenna should work for me, right? Mohu Leaf, Winegard Flatwave, or something even cheaper?

I'm a similar distance away and one of the Leaf knockoffs worked fine for me.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Are rokus the best bet for getting a richer experience / interface with plex? My xbox and blu ray player do the generic DNLA server navigation of plex, but it would be nice to have something that looks more like the PC web interface. I don't really want a HTPC.

Ideally chromecast would finally whitelist plex and I could just use my phone or tablet for speedier navigation, but a cheap roku box would be sufficient, too.

I'd like to start ripping our DVDs to my PC so I don't have to swap discs anymore for my son to watch movies and I'm not thrilled so far with the DNLA interface with plex, though it does seem to work for the most part.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

dreesemonkey posted:

Are rokus the best bet for getting a richer experience / interface with plex? My xbox and blu ray player do the generic DNLA server navigation of plex, but it would be nice to have something that looks more like the PC web interface. I don't really want a HTPC.

"Best" is pretty subjective. I really hope they port the Plex Home Theater to Roku sooner or later, as it's UI is much nicer than the current Roku client. FYI, there are Android apps to navigate the Roku and the Plex Roku App - I use them on a Nexus 7. What file format are you going to encode your DVDs in?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

WorkingStiff posted:

"Best" is pretty subjective. I really hope they port the Plex Home Theater to Roku sooner or later, as it's UI is much nicer than the current Roku client. FYI, there are Android apps to navigate the Roku and the Plex Roku App - I use them on a Nexus 7. What file format are you going to encode your DVDs in?

Haven't completely decided yet, I was thinking mkv or mp4 for portability. Honestly not terribly worried about quality, so long as it looks decent.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

dreesemonkey posted:

Haven't completely decided yet, I was thinking mkv or mp4 for portability. Honestly not terribly worried about quality, so long as it looks decent.

Either mkv or mp4 would be fine as they're not encoding types, they're just containers for your video (probably h.264), audio (maybe ac3 or whatever you like), and possibly subs. The only difference between the two extensions is the way the streams are stored, but they don't do any additional compression on top of the audio/video codecs. I think more portable devices support mp4, if it helps.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Richard M Nixon posted:

Either mkv or mp4 would be fine as they're not encoding types, they're just containers for your video (probably h.264), audio (maybe ac3 or whatever you like), and possibly subs. The only difference between the two extensions is the way the streams are stored, but they don't do any additional compression on top of the audio/video codecs. I think more portable devices support mp4, if it helps.

Thanks I don't know a ton about this stuff, h.264 seems to be the way to go these days. I probably won't do anything until the Google SDK launch for Chromecast so I can do some testing and see how I like it.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Re-posting this from the XBox thread in Games since I just discovered this lovely thread:

Since the XBox One is going to be used for virtually all TV watching for me and the fiancee and becoming interested in Hulu Plus for $7.99 a month to maybe replace our Dish subscription (Our 3rd receiver just died after switching to them from DirecTV a couple years ago and we both realize we barely watch TV at all save for a few shows), I had a few questions for others who have Hulu:

1) Is it possible to record shows from Hulu onto our computer so we at least have an archive of poo poo to watch in case our internet goes down? This would effectly replace Dish's DVR recording feature.

2) Which device would be best for streaming hulu.com specific shows from our computer to the TV in HD wirelessly? Anyone have user feedback for the Roku or Chromecast as far as price and quality?

3) What exactly would one be missing from switching to Hulu from Dish (or any cable subscription, really) other than dealing with lovely, cheap DVRs that gently caress up if you so much as look at them the wrong way?

Sorry for the noob questions, but I'm intrigued with leaving the cable model behind indefinitely.

adreaminsound
Jun 22, 2004

Am I not the ravager, the devourer of worlds? Am I not Galactus!?!

Charles Martel posted:

Re-posting this from the XBox thread in Games since I just discovered this lovely thread:

Since the XBox One is going to be used for virtually all TV watching for me and the fiancee and becoming interested in Hulu Plus for $7.99 a month to maybe replace our Dish subscription (Our 3rd receiver just died after switching to them from DirecTV a couple years ago and we both realize we barely watch TV at all save for a few shows), I had a few questions for others who have Hulu:

1) Is it possible to record shows from Hulu onto our computer so we at least have an archive of poo poo to watch in case our internet goes down? This would effectly replace Dish's DVR recording feature.

2) Which device would be best for streaming hulu.com specific shows from our computer to the TV in HD wirelessly? Anyone have user feedback for the Roku or Chromecast as far as price and quality?

3) What exactly would one be missing from switching to Hulu from Dish (or any cable subscription, really) other than dealing with lovely, cheap DVRs that gently caress up if you so much as look at them the wrong way?

Sorry for the noob questions, but I'm intrigued with leaving the cable model behind indefinitely.

1) There is a program called StreamTransport that I have used to download hulu videos in the past. I haven't tried it for a year or so but the site seems to have been updated and it's free so no harm in trying.

2) I don't think my method will work well here but I have a Macbook Air and an Apple TV to handle streaming web specific shows. It works great for CBS.com and the hulu stuff. A cheaper method would be making or buying a small HTPC. I'm sure there are other workarounds too but I found mine and stopped looking.

3) Hulu doesn't have a lot of cable channels. I can't watch a Ghosthunters marathon, I can't catch Honey Boo Boo, or watch the 25 days of christmas on ABC Family. If you have Netflix/Amazon Prime streaming you can get back seasons of a lot of shows but there's still something to adjust to not being able to just power on the TV and veg out. I also assume if you're cutting dish you are also using an Antenna for local news and live TV. Hulu has most of that stuff but we watch Today, NBC Nightly, etc and that isn't on Hulu really.

I've been cable free for 2.5 years and it was a small adjustment but having an extra 85 dollars per month in the budget makes it all worth it.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I personally haven't really used cable in about 4 years now, I've just gone with using my PC as a media server with the occasional Netflix or whatever to supplement. I used to use PS3MS to stream to TVs (which requires transcoding everything on the fly and tons of bandwidth, otherwise you're looking at lots of hiccups and troubleshooting unless all your files are exactly the same), then either didn't have a TV or lived in a place small enough that I could just connect my PC directly to whatever I was using as a TV. So I guess what I'm asking is, has anything much changed in the past couple years as far as local stuff goes; is there a good cheap and simple option for playing stuff from DLNA/Windows shares locally yet, or should I just stick with my PS3s for now if I don't feel like building an HTPC?

Straker fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 8, 2013

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Straker posted:

I personally haven't really used cable in about 4 years now, I've just gone with using my PC as a media server with the occasional Netflix or whatever to supplement. I used to use PS3MS to stream to TVs (which requires transcoding everything on the fly and tons of bandwidth, otherwise you're looking at lots of hiccups and troubleshooting unless all your files are exactly the same), then either didn't have a TV or lived in a place small enough that I could just connect my PC directly to whatever I was using as a TV. So I guess what I'm asking is, has anything much changed in the past couple years as far as local stuff goes; is there a good cheap and simple option for playing stuff from DLNA/Windows shares locally yet, or should I just stick with my PS3s for now if I don't feel like building an HTPC?

You can install Plex Media Server on your computer that has the local content and then get Roku's to play back the files on your TV's. Roku's aren't much of an investment starting at around $50 and Plex is free.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Has PlayOn done any promos for its lifetime lately like that mentioned in the beginning of the thread? It's currently going for $70 (supposedly slashed from $130) and I'm not sure if that's actually a sale or not...

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
The Roku LT is on sale at Amazon right now, so how is it for SD video? My sister is just getting her own place and doesn't have an HDTV, will the Roku do fine for Netflix and possibly Hulu?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

bbcisdabomb posted:

The Roku LT is on sale at Amazon right now, so how is it for SD video? My sister is just getting her own place and doesn't have an HDTV, will the Roku do fine for Netflix and possibly Hulu?

It will be fine. Netflix and Hulu are literally what the device as designed for.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Channel Master just announced their new DVR+ today for $250.

http://www.channelmasterstore.com/DVR_p/cm-7500gb16.htm?Click=62517

A quick preview:

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-12/channel-master-dvrplus-cm7500/

I'm really intrigued by this. I'm this close to buying a TIVO in February when my DirecTV runs out. It only has Vudu now, but if this can pick up Netflix and Youtube (Amazon Instant Prime would be nice too), this would be my one stop shopping device for the TV needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

bbcisdabomb posted:

The vast majority of Roku apps fully work on SDTV. The only one I use that has some 720p+ stuff is the NBA gametime app.