Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Just blow up slumberings with your torch hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Go play DoomRL if you want to win a roguelike, it's really easy to win on the easiest mode. It has a really smooth difficulty curve and is pretty forgiving.

And then you spend a couple of years to try and win the game on the hardest setting. :smith:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Castle of the Winds is still great to play if you want to win as well.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

keyvin posted:

Same stupid poo poo here. I don't know how to stop being bad at risk vs. reward. Its why I have never taken up gambling.

Roguelikes 101:

if you sense there is danger and are unsure what to do, consider every option you have EXCEPT taking a turn (be it by moving, actions that consume a "turn" of some kind, etc). Stop and think, and possibly plan.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Install Windows posted:

Castle of the Winds is still great to play if you want to win as well.

You know, I have an XP VM just for playing castle of the winds because it doesn't run under 8. MS needs to set dos 5 and windows 3.1 free.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Roguelikes 101:

if you sense there is danger and are unsure what to do, consider every option you have EXCEPT taking a turn (be it by moving, actions that consume a "turn" of some kind, etc). Stop and think, and possibly plan.

Stop and think is critically good advice. You don't have a time limit. If you're in a tough spot just stop pressing keys for a while while you consider your game plan. Get up and get a drink, even. Those dragons will wait patiently.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

What do I do about my right hand that I now have in my inventory? Is there any way to fix this other than the first aid skill?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
If you're talking about Qud: I doubt you can reattach a limb with first aid. As far as I know, there are only two ways to do it: the regeneration mutation, or an Ubernostrom injector. There's one guaranteed Ubernostrom as an early quest quest reward, but if you've already used it you're poo poo outta luck.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Samopsa posted:

Go play DoomRL if you want to win a roguelike, it's really easy to win on the easiest mode. It has a really smooth difficulty curve and is pretty forgiving.

And then you spend a couple of years to try and win the game on the hardest setting. :smith:

DoomRL is seriously the most elegantly designed roguelike out there, and it's perfect for learning the genre thanks to the combination of difficulty levels and having very few "gotchas" that you can't learn by doing. It's also got great tiles and some the most clear and readable ASCII, so you can go with whichever you prefer.

Mr. Peepers posted:

Stop and think is critically good advice. You don't have a time limit. If you're in a tough spot just stop pressing keys for a while while you consider your game plan. Get up and get a drink, even. Those dragons will wait patiently.

As a corollary: the biggest factor in my first Crawl ascension was religiously following one rule: "No roguelikes after midnight." (Substitute whatever time you normally go to bed.)

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Bob NewSCART posted:

What do I do about my right hand that I now have in my inventory? Is there any way to fix this other than the first aid skill?

If you mean in Qud, you get to eat that hand, buddy! :haw:

For real though, the severed hand is done, the only options are regeneration via mutation, or regeneration via Ubernostrum. If you got neither, that sucks, no two-handed weapons of any kind for you, nor any gloves.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

hand of luke posted:

That's very cool. Does your character really have that khopesh?

ya!

I lured him up the stairs then walked between phase webs staying (near)permanently phased while I whittled him down with light manipulation.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
So is there a beginner's guide to Qud? I grabbed it but literally have never played it before. I don't know what I'm doing.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

_jink posted:

ya!

I lured him up the stairs then walked between phase webs staying (near)permanently phased while I whittled him down with light manipulation.

what is that thing?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

S.T.C.A. posted:

If you mean in Qud, you get to eat that hand, buddy! :haw:

For real though, the severed hand is done, the only options are regeneration via mutation, or regeneration via Ubernostrum. If you got neither, that sucks, no two-handed weapons of any kind for you, nor any gloves.

It seems I'm still able to duel wield one handed weapons even after getting dismembered. What's the deal with this?

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
Are you sure it's your hand? It'll say [Character Name's] left/right hand if it is. If you've got regeneration, then it already grew back, or you may have used an ubernostrum and not noticed. The other possibility is that it's just a bug.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

keyvin posted:

This was followed up by a guy I introduced it to beating it in a week...

That's quite an extreme exception to the norm but such things happen.

It's possible you're just bad at Nethack but would be considerably better at another roguelike. I never really got anywhere in Nethack but it took me less than a week of playing ADOM before I could consistently make it to Dwarftown, and many seem to consider that the hardest stretch of the game.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
In like, three years of Nethack I ascended all of once. To more or less a fluke.

I found a wand of wishing on floor one, in the gnomish mines shop (which I had my pet shoplift) and then the guaranteed one in the castle. I basically had an entire endgame equipment set by like, half way through the mines.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I've never actually won any roguelike, but who gives a poo poo even, so long as you're having fun playing.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Nobody has mentioned brogue in a while, but is there some kind of established plan you're supposed to follow w/r/t equipment? Should I get a plate armor and endgame weapon right away and keep them around until I have enough strength to use them, or not worry about that until the endgame? Should scrolls of enchanting be used primarily for armor, or should I use them on staves and rings and such?

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

Edwhirl posted:

So is there a beginner's guide to Qud? I grabbed it but literally have never played it before. I don't know what I'm doing.

Not that I've seen. If you want to hit the ground running:

[build suggestion]
Pick Mutated Human, 16 str/dex/int 18 toughness/will 19 ego. Grab carapace from physical mutations & ravenous from physical defects, then disintegration, light manipulation and sunder mind from mental mutations.

Carapace - Extremely powerful weightless armor. Use its active Tighten to turtle up during combat (mental attacks don't cancel it).

Disintegration - Erases everything around you. The exhaustion rounds are negated by a) sitting in tightened carapace and b) everything is dead.

Light Manipulation - Serves as ambient light and peashooter early on, but with levels becomes a clip of accurate high damage lasers.

Sunder Mind - Hits extremely hard, but is more to augment your other skills as its limitations (single use, decently long cooldown, only affects creatures with minds) are pretty severe

Ravenous - Gets you sunder mind at the cost of a tiny bit of early game tedium.

And choose Water Merchant as your class. This gives you more ego, a lot of water (which is also currency) and a short lived grenade.

[actual game]
e - your equipment. Unequip your grenade.

Head over to the red f, and press space. The space bar is a 'choose the best action' button and will in this case talk to Mehmet. Get the quest he offers, then trade with him (tab) and buy all da vinewafers.

There are a few unoccupied houses around with chests in them to rob(you monster). Make sure to close the door (o) before stealing or you'll get smeared by the guard.

Next head to the building in the bottom left. Inside is Argyve who sells tinkering stuff & has quests. His two starting quests require any sort of artifact, and the two grenades you begin with are fine. You'll hit level two, wow!

x - your character sheet. You'll get attribute points to spend here later on, but for now its just a mutation point for level 2.

p - your skills. You got some skillpoints as well, but probably not enough to get anything yet unless you're true human or have high int.

The bottom rightmost house has a merchant who might be selling some decent stuff.

That about wraps up Joppa, so hit < to exit to the worldmap. The red triangle two squares north is Red Rock (l to look around) which is where you'll head for your first quest. Go there and hit > to return from map view. Somewhere on this screen is a downward staircase which takes you to the dungeon proper.

a - brings up your abilities. Enter on one lets you assign it a hotkey.

You might want to throw a torch in your offhand till you find something better, as using lase will lower your ambient light from Light Manipulation.

~ - rests until healed

if things are looking dire use sprint (every character has this ability) to get out of there

1 waits 100 turns, which lets disintegration and sprint cool down

q - your quest log, you'll find the critters several floors down

shift < or > - autorun to stairs (if you've found them)

Skill choice doesn't matter too much. You'll want a couple levels of butchery, but beyond that just grab whatever. You'll probably never have the required attributes for any of the high cost skills, but spoiler alert none of them are half as useful as your mutations.

[random poo poo]
Be somewhat cautious moving around on the world map with the ravenous defect. You can stock up on glowfish corpses from the swamps east of Joppa if you need to travel a long distance.

The actual entrance to Grit Gate is a corridor at the north of the bottom floor. Buy a recoiler from the merchant there so you don't have to run back every time.

Don't fight the giant slug boss at the bottom of Golgatha. Its poison gives you an utterly obnoxious disease, and non humanoid monsters have no drops anyway. Grab a waydroid, maybe the gold chest and recoiler outta there

Be mad frugal with salve injectors, they are often a necessity in surviving bad situations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

Nobody has mentioned brogue in a while, but is there some kind of established plan you're supposed to follow w/r/t equipment? Should I get a plate armor and endgame weapon right away and keep them around until I have enough strength to use them, or not worry about that until the endgame? Should scrolls of enchanting be used primarily for armor, or should I use them on staves and rings and such?

I'm surprised Brogue doesn't get more attention, somehow Cataclysm keeps getting threads despite being held together with duct tape but Brogue gets no love.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

andrew smash posted:

what is that thing?

not huge spoilers, but discovering the set pieces is one of the cooler aspects of coq
its the ceremonial vibrokopesh, one of the better swords in the game. There's a huge chamber filled with cryogenic tanks containing several demigod-like creatures at the bottom of Bethesda Susa, and one of them is a human who wields this sword (among other things)

Maelephant
Aug 12, 2006

"Yer know, a herd of maelephants might be jus' wot we needs."

Edwhirl posted:

These are a bit old, but most of the advice is still valid:

http://forums.freeholdentertainment.com/showthread.php?70-Character-Creation-Guide
http://forums.freeholdentertainment.com/showthread.php?7-Caves-of-Qud-Reference-Guide

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

My thanks to both of you! I appreciate it.

Edit: Well, that was going well until I ran into a slumberling. Now I know to avoid them until I can kill one!

Edit 2: How do you butcher something? I can toggle it on or off but it seems to do nothing...

Edwhirl fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 7, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I like to take 1 less ego so I can pick up tinkering early. It's probably not vital but you can throw together quite a few nice backup plans with a little luck in Argyve's shop.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I picked up caves of Qud again, and I was doing well until I wandered into a lair. It was perfectly fine until I met the fire ants.

The lair was full of water. It turns out that steam is super deadly!

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Mr. Peepers posted:

In addition to this you can try playing shorter sessions. When you start to feel like doing something silly, save and quit the game and go do something else for a while. My survivability in Cataclysm has skyrocketed now that I save and quit when I start to get bored rather than see if I can run over every zombie in town with the first running car I find.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Slime posted:

I picked up caves of Qud again, and I was doing well until I wandered into a lair. It was perfectly fine until I met the fire ants.

The lair was full of water. It turns out that steam is super deadly!

Fire ants are one of the reasons why every mutant should take sunder mind. They aren't much tougher than sandhoppers but you really have to pick them off early.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

I always check the merchant before doing Argyve's artifact quests because sometimes you can find a box of crayons or folding chair for $2 and save yourself a grenade.

Also, it's probably easier to do Argyve's "weirdwire conduit" quest before Red Rock, because, nine times out of ten, you can find all the wire you need on the surface outside the rust wells.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Also, it's probably easier to do Argyve's "weirdwire conduit" quest before Red Rock, because, nine times out of ten, you can find all the wire you need on the surface outside the rust wells.

Didn't find that, but I did find a desert rifle and 50 lead slugs. Is it worth trading for? Like, if I find something valuable in the red rock. Or should I just rely on my laser mutation?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The desert rifle is basically babby's first ok gun. The 100bux it'll cost you is basically nothing so go hog wild.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Edwhirl posted:

Didn't find that, but I did find a desert rifle and 50 lead slugs. Is it worth trading for? Like, if I find something valuable in the red rock. Or should I just rely on my laser mutation?

It's always good to have a gun as a fallback if you run into an enemy while you're out of lasers, and the desert rifle is a pretty good one (better than a musket at least), so I would say to go for it. I would buy the bullets whether or not you buy the desert rifle, because they're dirt cheap and 0 weight, and you'll want them if you find a gun later.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

_jink posted:

not huge spoilers, but discovering the set pieces is one of the cooler aspects of coq
its the ceremonial vibrokopesh, one of the better swords in the game. There's a huge chamber filled with cryogenic tanks containing several demigod-like creatures at the bottom of Bethesda Susa, and one of them is a human who wields this sword (among other things)

Oh, okay. I remember that area, just not that specific item. thanks.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

_jink posted:

drat, what level were you? And I assume you did Golgotha first to get there (in terms of it being required to unlock something, I know it shows up on the map by default)?

Does Omon Porch have any way to unlock the force fields, or is that at all related to Bethesda Susa?

Is there anything in the Deathlands yet? That is, besides crazyass level 48+ swarm-rocket-launcher wielding chrome pyramids lurking underground, so don't enter any tunnels over there holy shiiiiiiet instant death with 140 hp

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 7, 2013

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I've never got to the Castle in NetHack, a rune in Crawl, or the Amulet in Brogue :smith:

icantfindaname posted:

Depends on what you get really, and whether or not it's cursed/blessed/has a runic. If I get an endgame weapon and/or plate early, I go with them. Usually I find it's worth putting three enchants on one or the other and using it asap (less so with armour now the stealth rules have changed.) If I get a good runic, I go with that instead (quietus, speed, paralysis, force, respiration). If I get a ton of wands, I enchant them and a ring of wisdom if possible. Rings support builds but you can't really have a ring-based build. I think the rule of thumb is to see what you've got and what goes together well, and don't blow enchant scrolls until you've got something worth enchanting - use-ID scrolls only when you've got something you want to keep for the rest of the game.

Two tips I thought up recently: first, you can negate negative armour/weapons to make them +0/uncursed, which might be an improvement, and secondly, potions of caustic gas/paralysis/confusion are especially not worth storing cos that's what traps are there for...

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The tipping point for me with roguelikes was understanding that any action that risked death was not worth attempting. Even if the risk is only 1%, repeated enough that will lead to games ending early.

Beyond that, understanding the game's systems like the identification subgame really makes a difference. A lot of these systems are mostly solvable. I find that a lot of general advice is going to hold regardless of the roguelike, so figuring out the systems is what I usually focus on when starting with a new RL.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Wow, using consumables generously really helps. I just survived a situation where running wasn't possible. I pulled out a wand of fire first, then expended all MP, and then meleed what was left to death. I tried using a teleport potion, but it just moved me five squares away.

I think one of the things I was doing wrong was being too tight with consumables/MP. I was just worried that when I really needed it, I wouldn't have it.

Also, food clocks loving suck.

Jordan7hm posted:

The tipping point for me with roguelikes was understanding that any action that risked death was not worth attempting. Even if the risk is only 1%, repeated enough that will lead to games ending early.

Most combat risks death, by lowering your HP. It seems like there is a balance between fighting to raise your level and running away at all times.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Most combat doesn't risk death. Most combat drains resources, but death is only a direct risk at certain moments. Identifying those moments and avoiding them is key.

You can tab your way through DCSS without any real issues as long as you can identify the actual dangers and adjust your actions at those moments.

tjume
Feb 8, 2009
Desktop Dungeons is now out on Steam!
If you have bought the beta you can get your key here: http://www.desktopdungeons.net/retrieve-steam-key/

e: ...and crashes when starting the game :(
a patch seems to be in the works though according to dislekcias twitter.

tjume fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Jordan7hm posted:

This here is the reason why I am not and will never be good at roguelikes. Most of the time, I just can't help myself and press "J" one more time to roll the dice and see if I can't kill the guy just under my @.

If it's ok to still roll out the "i'm bad at roguelikes" dong, I'm simply terrible at all of them, but always have fun. I think I'm a casual player of a pretty hardcore series of games.

• only beat Spelunky freeware twice out of about 800 deaths
  • 400 bodies deep in the current Spelunky and am still trying to get the key to the tunnel man
  • curated two Crawl threads in this very forum while not being able to regularly get past the Temple, partly because I just like playing random characters to see what they can do
  • semi-regularly got to Sokoban in Nethack, but refused to spoil myself or play anything other than a chaotic monk, and never got further
  • haven't broke 10000 gold on Brogue
I love roguelikes, I have fun with them, I'm just no darn good at them. I think I just have no discipline.