Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

130L? what are you putting in there, the corpses of your victims?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
Any Texas goons have recommendations for a 3 Season (Fall/Winter/Spring) sleeping bag? I've been looking at the following:

http://www.rei.com/product/829873/rei-sub-kilo-20-sleeping-bag-special-buy

^^^ REI Sub Kilo +20 Sleeping Bag: Concerned it may be a bit small, but it's a great deal, it's super light and compact, and it looks to be about right for TX (I think?)

http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-p...c0NhdDcxMTEwMDk

^^^ Marmot Pinnacle Sleeping Bag: 15 Degree Down: A bit heavier, but roomier

http://www.rei.com/product/828494/rei-magma-sleeping-bag

^^^ REI Magma Sleeping Bag: Great deal, but too heavy?

http://www.rei.com/product/828489/rei-igneo-sleeping-bag

^^^ REI Igneo Sleeping Bag: On the way high end of my price range.

Am I on the right track? Are these bags too warm for TX? I want something that I can take to CO, WA, CA, etc. Is this an unrealistic expectation? Should I have a really warm bag and a lighter bag instead of trying to find one sleeping bag for everything?

My wife and I are looking to start backpacking more, and we're planning a trip around Thanksgiving to Pedernales State Park outside of Austin. Since we're not seasoned hikers/backpackers at this point, I don't really want to blow $500 on a sleeping bag.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Yeah those are all pretty nice bags, with what I consider to be an ideal temp rating for 3 season sleeping (15-20) if you're only going with one bag. Its easy to open it up or sleep on top of it if its too warm, but its hard to make a sleeping bag warmer when it gets really cold, so I prefer a bag with a warmer rating than what i plan for just in case.

Just make sure you get something to keep those bags dry since they are all down. I keep my sleeping bag in a waterproof compression dry bag so that even if my pack falls into a river or something, my sleeping bag will still be dry. THey are making down much more tolerant to wet weather but my instinct is still to always keep it dry no matter what.

Also, if after a trip or two whatever bag you buy is too warm for some warmer weather trips, you can make the decision to either buy a warm weather bag, bring a fleece blanket, or look at a quilt. My bag is a 15º and it keeps me warm but Ive never really had too much of a problem overheating in it. I can always just open it up the whole way and use it as a blanket if I need, or its warm enough that I don't really need a sleeping bag. If you have the money to spend, maybe investing in a separate bag wouldn't be a bad idea.

Verman fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 31, 2013

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
My dad has the Sub Kilo and I think it'll probably perform well down to freezing temperatures, and it's pretty light. So, might work for Texas winters(?) and summers in the mountains (he took it on the JMT last year). Below freezing and it probably will start getting a little lightweight for comfort.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
Okay, thanks for the advice.

Levitate posted:

My dad has the Sub Kilo and I think it'll probably perform well down to freezing temperatures, and it's pretty light. So, might work for Texas winters(?) and summers in the mountains (he took it on the JMT last year). Below freezing and it probably will start getting a little lightweight for comfort.

I'm 5'11" / 175 lbs. I think I may just pick up the Sub Kilo and see if it's roomy enough. If not, I'll return it for another.

I'm having trouble pulling the trigger! :downs:

i_heart_ponies
Oct 16, 2005

because I love feces
My work schedule has been crazy, so I haven't had a chance to get out for a few weeks. Yesterday I planned on doing the Sawtooth between Bierstadt & Evans, based on a trip report and photos from the 27th indicating next to no snow on the route.

Welp, with Colorado being as crazy as it is, this was not the case when I went up yesterday. Substantially more snow had fallen and the winds had done an excellent job of loading it up to waist-high in areas. I picked a more direct, scramble-y route up from the standard summer trail so I could stay on dry rock as much as possible and avoid a repeat of the postholing nightmare from last year. I decided I wasn't up for risking the exposure on the Sawtooth solo with the recent snow and Bierstadt would have to be enough. It was the right call though, as just making it to the summit took me 4 hours - I usually do the entire round trip in 2.5-3 hours in summer conditions.

The summit was cold and windy - my thermometer showed 5°F and the wind was easily a steady 15MPH dropping it well below 0°F with wind chill. Still, I had the summit to myself (which is super rare on what is probably CO's busiest 14,000+ foot peak) so I hung out, had a shot of Yukon Jack and enjoyed my solitude until my fingers and toes had enough of the cold.

When I was packing my bag I found the FlipCam I forgot I owned. I brought it to play with yesterday and edited this thing together in about 20 minutes.
https://vimeo.com/78230931

i_heart_ponies fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 31, 2013

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

i_heart_ponies posted:

When I was packing my bag I found the FlipCam I forgot I owned. I brought it to play with yesterday and edited this thing together in about 20 minutes.
https://vimeo.com/78230931

That was a great watch. What's the name of the band?

edit: Thanks evil_bunnY!

Kaal fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 31, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

José González

Kaal posted:

That was a great watch. What's the name of the band?

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
I went ahead and bought the Marmot Pinnacle 15-degree bag. It's over $100 off, no taxes, and free two-day shipping on backcountry.com.

However, I'm realizing just how woefully unprepared I really am for a proper backpacking trip, even if it's just a weekend. I need a waterproof shell, hiking boots and a fleece at the very least. I'm still trying to find my pocket knife that seems to have gone missing. I also seem to have lost my sunglasses recently. So... I'm looking at about $500 of stuff right there. That's in addition to the tent and sleeping pads my wife and I already purchased. Ugh. :(

Hopefully my knife and sunglasses turn up. I'm gonna go root around right now.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
I returned my Osprey Stratos 36 to REI yesterday. Got a Kelty Redwing instead. It's not quite as nice or comfortable as the Osprey, but I'm very happy with it. I really dislike bags with a bunch of mesh and such on the outside. It always seems to get snagged on something. So the Redwing gets a plus in that dept. oddly enough, when I bought the Osprey the Redwing was my second choice at the time. Anyways, will post a trip report when I can.

Edit: not gonna lie, really want that Frost River pack made of waxed canvas.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

M.C. McMic posted:

However, I'm realizing just how woefully unprepared I really am for a proper backpacking trip, even if it's just a weekend. I need a waterproof shell, hiking boots and a fleece at the very least.
You can make do with any waterproof (not water resistant) coat and pullovers. Hiking boots you need, but what did you expect? :)

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

evil_bunnY posted:

You can make do with any waterproof (not water resistant) coat and pullovers. Hiking boots you need, but what did you expect? :)

Yeah, the boots are the most important thing. Buy them ASAP and start breaking them in if you're going backpacking with new ones. Everything else is kind of catch as catch can. I've been camping and backpacking in the Northwest for a decade and I only bought a true rainshell a couple months ago. Don't let the gear get you down - people have been enjoying the woods for a long time without lightweight space-age equipment.

Speaking of boots, I bought a pair of the trendy new low-top hiking boots that basically mix trail runners with a firm sole. They were great for trail-work but I missed the protection of my old army high-tops when I was going down scree and through brush. If I were to do it all again, I'd pick up a pair of sensible mid-tops.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Kaal posted:

Yeah, the boots are the most important thing. Buy them ASAP and start breaking them in if you're going backpacking with new ones.

One other point: make sure the "last" works for your foot shape, including on downward inclines.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
I'm gonna go out this weekend against the better wishes of my bank account and check out some Red Wings and maybe some LL Bean hiking boots. There's a Red Wing store right down the street from where I live. So, I'll probably just hit that up first and may end up buying there.

edit: after some further research, I'm exploring additional boot options.

M.C. McMic fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 1, 2013

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

I updated my bag from a tiny, poorly fitting REI bag from few years ago to an Osprey Manta 36 before leaving Salt Lake to visit Canyonlands and Arches last week.

I'd been using the little REI bag so long that I'd just gotten used to it being too short, not having enough space and generally just an all around poor bag for me. Getting to use the Osprey for 4 days was amazing. More than enough room for everything, fitting properly and having all the correct adjustment straps made wearing it a dream. Add on all the other little extras like having a couple of easily accessible loops to carry your walking poles, small pockets on the hip belt, and I guess what you could describe as a bag on bag design really put it over the top for me.

After visiting the southern section of Canyonlands known as the Needles area I think CL may have beaten out Zion as my favorite National Park. Probably the most amazing thing that struck me was just how diverse the plant life was. Driving out to Needles with the leaves changing and falling made me think of driving through an area like Vermont. Then you go around a corner and you have these beautiful red cliffs towering hundreds of feet above you reminding you that you are still in a desert.

I think the next time we go down we're either going to take or rent a 4-wheel drive vehicle so we can actually get off the pavement and do some serious exploring. Even if you can't go off road I would recommend Canyonlands to anyone.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
I should really be on Extreme Couponing.

I got a $210 Marmot rain jacket for $85 (65% off, I believe) on Sierra Trading Post. I also just purchased a pair of Asolo TPS 520 GV's for $180 on Amazon by signing up for an Amazon Visa, which I intended to do anyway.

By the way, if anyone is interested, you can get an additional 35% off of items over $100 on Sierra Trading Post right now. They have a coupon code they're advertising all over the site that's good until midnight tonight.

I was going to buy the jacket last night, and then I thought, "well, I'll sleep on it." I wake up and they're advertising this coupon code... 65% off instead of 30% off. Glad I waited. :)

M.C. McMic fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 2, 2013

mystes
May 31, 2006

STP has 35% off coupons like every three days if you subscribe to their list.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Anyone know of any front/panel loading internal frame packs between 38-50L? I've been looking for a smaller pack for shorter trips as well as traveling because I hate bringing real luggage and I don't check bags unless I have to.

I'm currently looking at a gregory savant and they have 38, 45, and 50ish liter sizes but was curious about any other options. I have a mountainsmith which is front loading and I love it but I need something smaller which they don't really carry.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Verman posted:

Anyone know of any front/panel loading internal frame packs between 38-50L? I've been looking for a smaller pack for shorter trips as well as traveling because I hate bringing real luggage and I don't check bags unless I have to.

I'm currently looking at a gregory savant and they have 38, 45, and 50ish liter sizes but was curious about any other options. I have a mountainsmith which is front loading and I love it but I need something smaller which they don't really carry.

There are literally a shitload of options. I use a Marmot Drakon 35* as carry-on luggage all the time - climbing packs are often pretty simple front loaders. The Osprey Atmos seems like it would fit as well.

You could step up in price and open up a bunch more options. Not sure what your limit is.

*Edit: I think the Drakon 45 is a better pack, but I'm not sure how it would do on airplanes. Also, it's definitely not as comfortable as a backpacking pack.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 3, 2013

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I went with a Gregory savant 58 which I was worried was going to be way to large. I went to rei today and loaded it up with pillows and weight and it was pretty much perfect for what I was looking for. It feels really nice, has excellent compression straps and can get fairly large or very small if needed. Its foing to be my go to overnight/weekend hiking and travel bag.

The best part was that I used $150 of rei gift cards from our credit card rewards so that was fun.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't really post in here but I hope this thread doesn't die throughout the winter. I just picked up some of these to remedy that:

I got this Atlas 930 Starter Kit on sale for about $175. I don't know the first thing about snowshoes so I just got the starter kit to begin with. I'm in SE Wisconsin so I'm still waiting for the snow.

Does anyone else in here use snowshoes so they can continue hiking in the northern states?

I haven't hiked since the summer so I might go out today at the local Bong Recreation Area :420: even though it's 40F and raining.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I don't really post in here but I hope this thread doesn't die throughout the winter. I just picked up some of these to remedy that:

I got this Atlas 930 Starter Kit on sale for about $175. I don't know the first thing about snowshoes so I just got the starter kit to begin with. I'm in SE Wisconsin so I'm still waiting for the snow.

Does anyone else in here use snowshoes so they can continue hiking in the northern states?

I haven't hiked since the summer so I might go out today at the local Bong Recreation Area :420: even though it's 40F and raining.

I wish I could be out in 40F and rain more than being stuck at work in a corporate office in sears tower. That sounds way more enjoyable ... seriously not being sarcastic. Its probably very empty right now.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Verman posted:

I wish I could be out in 40F and rain more than being stuck at work in a corporate office in sears tower. That sounds way more enjoyable ... seriously not being sarcastic. Its probably very empty right now.

One of the few perks of being 100% disabled by the VA. But then there's the whole disability thing which keeps me from getting out most of the time. I just picked up a nice Columbia jacket with the omni-shield thing and some leggings with it as well so I should be OK in the cold. I just need to gather the motivation to get out. Maybe a few more cups of coffee should do the trick.

Have fun in your office! :smith:

Edit - Actually another perk is I get in the park for free. :haw:

alwaysinnasomething
Jun 18, 2007
Looks like I'm headed down the grand canyon from bright angel point and back over two days, early January. I'm trying to get as much info and recommendations as possible prior to stepping off. I hate hiking boots and usually roll with trail runners, but things have changed with the knowledge that it may snow and there could possibly be snowpack while we are there. Any general suggestions on the trip/packing list/route, and a recommendation for boots that aren't so boot-y?

i_heart_ponies
Oct 16, 2005

because I love feces

It's rapidly coming up on snowshoe season for me here in Colorado, too. Winter is honestly my favorite time for hiking, climbing and backpacking and since I don't ski, I need another way to not spend my days miserably post-holing through the forest. I'm running some 25" MSR Lightning Axis snowshoes and have snow baskets for my trekking poles (Leki Super Makalu Corklite Aergons with custom marmot-chewed handle & strap mod).

Last season's weird avalanche timebomb snowpack kept me inside for too much of the time, especially since I was the only person in my group without avvy gear (beacon, shovel and probe) so I made the plunge this year and picked that crap up last month. If the little taste of winter I got up in the high country last week was any indication, it's going to be a biiiiiiiiig year. The new toys I am most excited about playing with this season are this bad boys:

Old style Black Diamond Cobra carbon fiber ice tools. Bought used at the end of last season with new picks. I'm extra pumped after the AAC posted this picture of "All Mixed Up" on Thatchtop in RMNP this morning:

i_heart_ponies fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 6, 2013

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

You should be psyched. This year is already shaping up to be legendary for Colorado ice climbing. EVERYTHING is coming in strong.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ice climbing looks so badass, just for the gear alone. I like gear.

Speaking of gear... does anyone have any recommendations for a decent beginner handheld GPS? I was thinking the Garmin eTrex 20. I'll just be using it for local hiking and possibly to get into geocaching with my nephew.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Ice climbing looks so badass, just for the gear alone. I like gear.

Speaking of gear... does anyone have any recommendations for a decent beginner handheld GPS? I was thinking the Garmin eTrex 20. I'll just be using it for local hiking and possibly to get into geocaching with my nephew.

That's the one I have and I love it. Take it hunting hiking cycling and anything else related. Battery life is excellent and it has micro sd slot for added storage. It's super accurate and gets a signal very quickly. It takes 2 AA batteries of rechargeable or alkaline. It starts up quickly until you add a ton of maps then it takes a little longer.

I also like the directional joystick versus arrows or touch screen to keep it pretty water resistant. I would definitely recommend.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

That looks fun. I have never gone snow shoeing but I would love to try some time. Maybe I will take a trip to the snow and try it out.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Do you learn ice climbing by just showing up in Ouray for three weeks in winter and hiring someone to teach you? It's on the top of the list of things to do this winter or next.

Important caveat: I live in a very flat place

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Looking for a little advise on pants. I have 2 pairs of convertible hiking pants but I'm looking for something a bit less technical that works as everyday wear or hiking.

I've got 2 pants on my radar, Kuhl's Slackr pants and Prana's Brion, but am interested in any recommendations or thoughts.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Honestly: yes. But try to have a friend teach you for free.

You can't learn ice on your own like you can with sport or trad. You need to learn from someone. If you're lucky, your local gym will have ice-nights where you can dry-tool on the old lovely holds.

Edit: Slackr pants don't have as much stretch and will be more noticeable as outdoors-pants. The Brions are probably more versatile & stealthy. If you're willing to buy jeans, I've gotten a lot of mileage out of my Marmot Pipeline jeans. Pretty good stretch.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 7, 2013

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Looking for a little advise on pants. I have 2 pairs of convertible hiking pants but I'm looking for something a bit less technical that works as everyday wear or hiking.

I've got 2 pants on my radar, Kuhl's Slackr pants and Prana's Brion, but am interested in any recommendations or thoughts.
I have some Prana pants that are made of that four way stretch material in the Brions. It's like wearing pajamas it's so comfortable.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Speleothing posted:

Slackr pants don't have as much stretch and will be more noticeable as outdoors-pants. The Brions are probably more versatile & stealthy. If you're willing to buy jeans, I've gotten a lot of mileage out of my Marmot Pipeline jeans. Pretty good stretch.

I'm trying to get away from jeans. I'm OK with something that looks outdoorsie but convertible pants just look silly off trail.

Do you work at a major retailer by chance and if so do you mind sharing which one? I can't seem to find either the Brion or the Slackr in store near me.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I have some Prana pants that are made of that four way stretch material in the Brions. It's like wearing pajamas it's so comfortable.

Thanks for the additional info. It sounds like the material is fairly light weight. Does it hold up well to everyday wear and tear?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I work at Bentgate in Golden, we have Zions but not Brions - same material but in a the less-casual style. I wear my zions caving, so I'd say they're pretty loving tough.

Any climbing store that doesn't have Zions is shooting themselves in the foot. Kuhl is a little harder to come by.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 7, 2013

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Thanks for the additional info. It sounds like the material is fairly light weight. Does it hold up well to everyday wear and tear?

Yes they hold up very well. A lot of the guys at the shop I work at have them. I have (and love) the Halle, which is the girl version of the Stretch Zion.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Speleothing posted:

You should be psyched. This year is already shaping up to be legendary for Colorado ice climbing. EVERYTHING is coming in strong.

No fooling. I was just complaining to some friends that I need a freakin' vacation (nothing more than 4 day weekend since 2008). So I'm planning to head to the ice park in Ouray this season, hopefully for the fest in January, depending on my stupid court schedule. People are already ice climbing on Longs.

Also hoping for an awesome ascent of the north face of Pikes Peak (y couloir) this spring because I'm too cool to go up Barr :c00l:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME, come out and play.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

I'll have to check out the Zions. I see that they're available at REI and I'm headed that way this weekend anyhow.

Just to compare I think I'll order a pair of the Slackrs from Zappos.

My impression is that the Slackr is a heavier, more rugged pant and the Zion/Brion is lighter, more flexible pant.

Is that about right?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Yeah I wear them in a woodshop all the time. All sorts of things all over them, poo poo everywhere. Very happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have Prana Zion's and I use them for hiking, yoga, climbing, running, backpacking, and everyday wear. They are the best pants. Even dry quickly.