Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

BonoMan posted:

They are not. They confirmed via facebook they are switching to "Cricket."

http://www.aiowireless.com/content/aio/en/why-aio/news/2013/10/31/customers_love_the_a.html

Bah. Well hopefully it's seemless and I don't have to re-enter anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
If I'm looking for AT&T Prepaid, and use less than 2.5GB of data a month, is Straight Talk the pre-paid carrier I'd want to move to?

Or would AIO be a better choice right now, even if it's a sinking ship?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

BoyBlunder posted:

If I'm looking for AT&T Prepaid, and use less than 2.5GB of data a month, is Straight Talk the pre-paid carrier I'd want to move to?

AIO would be a better idea just because they don't seem to actively antagonize their customer base on the same level that straight talk does.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

BoyBlunder posted:

I'd say give ST a try. They even have LTE if you get the AT&T sim card (though I think it's throttled, but so is AIO). AIO isn't a sinking ship, it's just going to become Cricket branded, nothing will change (so they say). But hey, ST is $45/mo vs. AIO at $55/mo

edit: you'll hear opinions vary, but as an anecdote, I've never had any trouble with ST, but their poor service reputation precedes them.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 4, 2013

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If you're under ~2GB and are looking for a GSM MVNO your best options are probably going to be Aio or T-Mobile.

Apparently T-Mobile has a website where they seem to gauge new market interest. It also probably signs you up for their Marketing/PR/Lobbying mailing list: http://www.t-mobile-takeaction.com/

Their twitter people apparently send people there when they ask about when T-Mo is coming to their city.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

You're going to want AIO.

As long as you're not tethering, AT&T doesn't give a poo poo what you use the data for.

I've streamed Google Music every single day for the past two weeks, they don't even care.

Straight Talk is ONLY for web browsing and MMS (when MMS even works). You can sometimes update apps. They are incredibly strict on this.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...

Photex posted:

they're selling HTC Ones on tings site though ?

Yep. They want you to use Sprint HTC ones with sprint and sprint ting HTC ones with ting.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

atomicvocabulary posted:

Yep. They want you to use Sprint HTC ones with sprint and sprint ting HTC ones with ting.

Ah that sucks, another lovely downfall of CDMA and ESN tracking

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008
Trip Report: so I bought a used Droid X2 and I was able to port my number over from Virgin Mobile to Page Plus and activate my phone pretty painlessly, but now I'm having reception issues in my office at work. When I was with Virgin I was able to send and receive calls from my LG Optimus Elite while sitting in my office, but now I can't make a call when I'm in the building at all. Whenever I try to make a call service drops out. I had one of my Coworkers sit in my area with his Verizon on-contract phone and it worked fine.

I thought I had to get on the Verizon network because they had the best coverage hands down in my area (West LA) now I'm totally confused. Could it be my phone that's causing this?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I've got an HTC Evo 3D on Virgin Mobile and this thing apparently has some sort of connectivity issues, in that it loses all connectivity and I have to reboot the thing constantly to get it back. What'd be the best bang for my buck out of VM's current crop of Android phones? Reliability is key here.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

ThermoPhysical posted:

Straight Talk is ONLY for web browsing and MMS (when MMS even works). You can sometimes update apps. They are incredibly strict on this.

Huh? I've had straight talk for a year and been able to update apps, watch youtubes, etc etc just fine.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Propaganda Hour posted:

Huh? I've had straight talk for a year and been able to update apps, watch youtubes, etc etc just fine.

Same, but it probably depends on where you live/how congested the towers you are using are (just speculation on my part but that's the only reasonable explanation of why people have different throttling/warnings)

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Went into T-Mobile today to do a SIM swap, from normal to micro for the N5. Booya, turns out the prepaid $30 dork plan is LTE-friendly. I don't think they're capping it, but if they are it's pretty generous. Ran two speed tests out of curiosity and it's reliably >9Mbps down and >5Mbps up at 3/4 bars.

Just confirming, since I haven't seen it posted that their prepaid allows LTE.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

sweart gliwere posted:

I just put the same SIM from the Nexus 4 into the 5 today and had no problems getting LTE. This is also on the $30 plan.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Thanks for the advice on AIO, goons. I've ordered a SIM kit for $62 and once this month ends with T-Mobile, I'll give AIO a spin.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Ordered a ST at&t SIM so I could get some LTE (and decent service) action on my new N5. Just wish I hadn't refilled like 10 days ago on my Tmo SIM.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I've been using StraightTalk a few days on my N5 and am pretty impressed with AT&T's network compared to my old phone with Ting/Sprint.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

sweart gliwere posted:

Went into T-Mobile today to do a SIM swap, from normal to micro for the N5. Booya, turns out the prepaid $30 dork plan is LTE-friendly. I don't think they're capping it, but if they are it's pretty generous. Ran two speed tests out of curiosity and it's reliably >9Mbps down and >5Mbps up at 3/4 bars.

Definitely not capped. I've seen 40+mbit in the Bay area.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

sweart gliwere posted:

Is that $30 "dork plan" this one?

That's a pretty sweet deal since I mostly text but I already have a phone. If I buy their cheapest phone can I just swap that SIM card into my iPhone? (Or wait, if I buy a 5s does that count?)

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Boris Galerkin posted:

That's a pretty sweet deal since I mostly text but I already have a phone. If I buy their cheapest phone can I just swap that SIM card into my iPhone? (Or wait, if I buy a 5s does that count?)

I don't think you even need to buy a phone, you can just order a sim when you get the plan.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Order one of their SIM cards. They're often on sale for like $0.99 but bad timing, as it looks like they're full price right now.Then activate the $30 nerd plan online. Good to go. If you've got an iPhone, then use unlockit.co.nz to install the correct APN settings.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 7, 2013

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Can I port my ST number over if I do that?

And what happens if I go over 100 minutes, does it just start charging me by the minute?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Boris Galerkin posted:

And what happens if I go over 100 minutes, does it just start charging me by the minute?

Yes, $.10/minute which is very reasonable.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yes, you can port your number from ST. Google will help you there.

Yeah, it's $0.10/min. People around here tend to put like $40 on their account the first couple months to help with the overages until they figure out their average monthly usage.

That $10 = 100 extra minutes.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

That seems like a pretty sweet deal then. I already prepaid for next month of my ST service but I'll definitely keep an eye out for that SIM card to drop to $0 again (a few posts up suggests it was $0) and :getin:.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

TraderStav posted:

Yes, $.10/minute which is very reasonable.

To add to that, it starts taking $0.10/minute out of your remaining balance. If you have no balance, you cannot make calls. You should also be careful around your renewal date to make sure you don't dip into the money you will need to pay for your next month.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just ported from strait talk to this plan. A word of advise, they'll tell you it takes 24 hours to complete, but just call customer service and give them your SIM card number from ST. Would have saved me a day or two to convert over.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I replaced my Straight Talk 4G AT&T SIM with an LTE AT&T SIM. It came in just a few days and transferring to the new SIM took like 1 minute online. Speeds are fast. Highly recommended.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

ShaneB posted:

I replaced my Straight Talk 4G AT&T SIM with an LTE AT&T SIM. It came in just a few days and transferring to the new SIM took like 1 minute online. Speeds are fast. Highly recommended.

Oh, can you just switch SIM cards online, while keeping the same number in that short amount of time? I use Gvoice so it really doesn't matter, but I'm curious. If that's possible, can I switch SIMs now instead of waiting until my month runs out on the current SIM?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

SB35 posted:

Oh, can you just switch SIM cards online, while keeping the same number in that short amount of time? I use Gvoice so it really doesn't matter, but I'm curious. If that's possible, can I switch SIMs now instead of waiting until my month runs out on the current SIM?

I use gvoice as well but I use my secondary (real) number for MMS texting with a particular subset of contacts.

Yeah, it just switches the SIM attached to your account, as far as I know.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

ShaneB posted:

I use gvoice as well but I use my secondary (real) number for MMS texting with a particular subset of contacts.

Yeah, it just switches the SIM attached to your account, as far as I know.

Cool. I'll have to look into this. I'd love to switch to my at&t LTE sim now and get off my Tmo SIM instead of waiting 3 weeks.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

SB35 posted:

Cool. I'll have to look into this. I'd love to switch to my at&t LTE sim now and get off my Tmo SIM instead of waiting 3 weeks.

Just login, click on activate, and select the option for transfering existing service.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Just login, click on activate, and select the option for transfering existing service.

You rock, thanks. I'll give it a go right now.

edit: waiting to port over to the new SIM now
edit edit: still waiting for the port to finish, didn't expect it to take 12+ hours...come on straight talk
edit x3: ok, up and running finally. Might have just been waiting for "business hours"

SB35 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 8, 2013

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Boris Galerkin posted:

Quite possibly a dumb question, but does anyone know if I will get HSPA+ with this prepaid plan?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Saint Fu posted:

Quite possibly a dumb question, but does anyone know if I will get HSPA+ with this prepaid plan?

You will as long as it's available in your area.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
I get HSPA+ and LTE with the prepaid plan. Using voip.ms and csipsimple to get around the 100 minute restriction, working well.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Great, thanks. I'm going to go ahead and assume there's HSPA+ coverage in Chicago despite the completely ambiguous coverage maps provided by Tmo.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Saint Fu posted:

Great, thanks. I'm going to go ahead and assume there's HSPA+ coverage in Chicago despite the completely ambiguous coverage maps provided by Tmo.

You can check but yes it looks like you do

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

gariig posted:

You can check but yes it looks like you do
I apparently have excellent 4G LTE, does that mean I'll have excellent HSPA+ too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypersober
Mar 27, 2006
Anyone else having trouble connecting to the 3G network with Straight Talk? Never had problems before with my iPhone 4.

• Locked thread