Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

MoreMetalBrian posted:

Lastly, there seems to be a big push from above to get them out of mornings and switch up to the afternoon drive.

Why in the hell would they want them to do the afternoon drive? They've already got Ellis for an afternoon drive, and what would they have in the morning; 3 boring days of Stern? Are people supposed to listen to the "Morning Mashup" on Hits 1 on Thursday and Friday morning?

Oh, I forgot. Stern 100 is now having the wrap up show on Thursdays and Fridays now. They are actually having a wrap up show on days when there is nothing to wrap up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

The Human Crouton posted:

Oh, I forgot. Stern 100 is now having the wrap up show on Thursdays and Fridays now. They are actually having a wrap up show on days when there is nothing to wrap up.

Wrap up is better than the show half the time, and would be even better if it wasn't hamstrung.

Where can one listen to O&A?

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

Finndo posted:

Wrap up is better than the show half the time, and would be even better if it wasn't hamstrung.

Where can one listen to O&A?

Channel 206 I believe.
They also do a weekly podcast, but I haven't heard that yet.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

prefect posted:

I was almost late for a job interview because I was listening to people screaming over the definition of a "proper pushup". :allears:

Dr. Faustus posted:

YOU BETTER PAY OFF!!!

(WOAAAHHHH!!!)

haljordan posted:

I like how he was almost going into a loving trance before it started. It was 17 push-ups, not the NYC Marathon.

Everything about that bit was fantastic. I love pretty much any bit that involves Scott The Engineer flying off the handle and/or being made fun of. :D

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Everything about that bit was fantastic. I love pretty much any bit that involves Scott The Engineer flying off the handle and/or being made fun of. :D

Honestly he deserved the money just for the ridiculous amount of poo poo he takes every day in his personal and professional life.

Ducktales Blogger
Nov 2, 2013

by angerbeet
The fact that some intern couldn't even count pushups properly is what made that Scott bit so loving legendary. You knew he wasn't going to do it, but the controversy was the best thing ever.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Ducktales Blogger posted:

The fact that some intern couldn't even count pushups properly is what made that Scott bit so loving legendary. You knew he wasn't going to do it, but the controversy was the best thing ever.

It was also pure bedlam from the very start; I think he was just afraid to stop Scott once he got going. But again, Stern's insistence on hiring the most incompetent motherfuckers ever for staffers leads to radio gold.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp
From what they always say about JD he's a great employee and a hard worker. Unfortunately he is the gooniest fucker ever. I guess that works out for us though.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

haljordan posted:

It was also pure bedlam from the very start; I think he was just afraid to stop Scott once he got going. But again, Stern's insistence on hiring the most incompetent motherfuckers ever for staffers leads to radio gold.

It's not his fault that you get what you pay for. :)

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

haljordan posted:

Speaking of which, Ronnie is another favorite of mine. A lot of people seem annoyed by him, but Fred's impression of him is the best.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Today they replayed an interview with Ed McMahon from 2001. Howard tried to get Ed to admit that he had to ask Johnny Carson for permission before taking on any side projects, because how terrible would that be, and what an rear end in a top hat Johnny would be if he did that.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

Speaking of which, Ronnie is another favorite of mine. A lot of people seem annoyed by him, but Fred's impression of him is the best.

It's funny how Fred and Artie's impression basically turned Ronnie into Andrew Dice Clay.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

haljordan posted:

It's funny how Fred and Artie's impression basically turned Ronnie into Andrew Dice Clay.

Also like how Gilbert's impression of Artie turned into George Jessel.

:allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h5QT5us2vo
(Pretty sure that's the right video; haven't gotten to re-listen to the whole thing yet.)

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

prefect posted:

Also like how Gilbert's impression of Artie turned into George Jessel.

"See what you do is, you take the jokes that go over well, and you put those on the DVD..."

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Oh yeah, one other thing from Arties book that is amazing if true: He found out that he was fired from the Stern Show and would never be coming back when he read Gary's interview in Rolling Stone. I'm hoping that was just poor phrasing in the book, but if so goddamn that's cold.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

YeahTubaMike posted:

Ronnie is okay in small doses. When he was constantly on air to promote those poo poo block party events his on air persona was really grating.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
My favorite was always how Artie's Jeff the Drunk impression was the same as his Blue Iris impression.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

So Artie's book is entertaining, but is really putting me off of him. He's constantly saying the most irritating things about money. On one hand he talks about making $110k one weekend in Vegas playing the Mandalay Bay, and blowing 90% of it on hookers, strippers, drugs, and gambling. This is treated as a fun little aside.

A few chapters later, he's blaming the Janks benefit for throwing him off the wagon, because he spent "a small fortune" on it. He spent $23k, and I was like wow, until he reveals that $14k of that was in damage to his mercedes driving like a jackass and backing into a concrete wall. Another $3,500 was because he needlessly hired a helicopter to fly him there, to save himself the inhuman indignity of a 2 hour chauffeured drive.

Finally, just now he felt the need to let me know that one morning in late 2009 he was hosed up and opened a book royalty check for $381 GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND and just handed it to his mom to deposit.

I get that rich folk is gonna rich and all that, but ugh.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Here's the Benjy v Fred stuff from this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L00U1DD8fj4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1T6TM9qah4

Second clip started with Howard reading creepy craigslist ads and goofing on someone who was looking for big labias. He said he thinks Benjy spends a lot of time studying that area with chicks and asked if that's the case, and Benjy responds with "I have a girlfriend." Howard goes "I know you have a loving girlfriend I mean generally do you study that area" and he goes "no, I study her whole face and body" and then the youtube clip starts shortly after.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

:monocle: Is that what Benjy looks like these days? He's gotten himself into shape. Good for him.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp
They talked about that on the show actually last week. He was losing weight and stuff to get with whatever her name is and then once he got her he just slumped back into fat Benjy. Can't blame him though.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

GenoCanSing posted:

I get that rich folk is gonna rich and all that, but ugh.

Howard used to get, this too.
I mean, he has been faking it for a long time, but it was easy enough to suspend your disbelief up until around the time that he moved into the Penthouse in Manhattan.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Finished the book. Artie is officially a giant piece of poo poo who was and continues to be given an infinite number of second chances and lucky breaks by the universe. It is absolutely astonishing how much he got away with and how much he put others through. The guy is really funny and good at what he does, but goddamn. His poor, poor mother.

He called in a fake sleeping pills Rx to get high, and there was a huge blizzard outside, so he let his 69 year old mother go outside alone to shovel enough snow to drive out to get it while he lied in bed upstairs. A literal millionaire did this to his mother.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

It was hilarious when they were talking about ETM following Olive Garden and he couldn't explain why.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I totally forgot they had Shirley Phelps and 2 of her kids on the Vegas Hollyweird Squares. Wonder if those 2 grew up to leave the church, I know some have(they were elementary school aged here).

Also, of all the greetings on the show, the only one whose origins I never got were "Mega/Schmega Dildos". Where did that one originate?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Crotch Bat posted:

Also, of all the greetings on the show, the only one whose origins I never got were "Mega/Schmega Dildos". Where did that one originate?

Rush Limbaugh's callers would say "mega dittos" at the start of a call as a shorthand way of saying "I agree with everything you said". During a rant about this kind of radio-caller behavior (also criticized: "long-time listener, first-time caller"), they worked out that the proper way to greet Howard when he picks up the phone is by saying "first-time, long-time, schmega dildos".

There might also be a strain of Gyna Man in there, because he would say things like "mega cheese" and "dildo breath". (Also, "Tom Froose!" One of my favorite things is when Howard would say a Gyna Man keyword and Jackie and Fred would immediately say the magic words. "Minidress!")

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

It was hilarious when they were talking about ETM following Olive Garden and he couldn't explain why.

Were they on the air this morning? If not which show was this, I missed it.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Holy Calamity! posted:

Were they on the air this morning? If not which show was this, I missed it.

Yes they were, lots of ETM twitter chat starting about 20 minutes into the show.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

As someone who doesn't use twitter and forgot its incarnation of the word "follow", trying to decipher this post was so confusing.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

GenoCanSing posted:

As someone who doesn't use twitter and forgot its incarnation of the word "follow", trying to decipher this post was so confusing.

Thanks for this post. I knew I was missing something. :tipshat:

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Crotch Bat posted:

I totally forgot they had Shirley Phelps and 2 of her kids on the Vegas Hollyweird Squares. Wonder if those 2 grew up to leave the church, I know some have(they were elementary school aged here).

They did. They were the two women that left this year. Sad that they had to endure 10 more years of brainwashing before they left but at least they left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUodXla-ZFg Aforementioned 2003 Hollyweird Squares video

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/30/westboro-megan-phelps-roper_n_4177166.html
https://medium.com/turning-points/83d2ef8ba4f5

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Super Ninja Fish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUodXla-ZFg Aforementioned 2003 Hollyweird Squares video

This is incredible. Can't believe I've never seen it before. Gilbert and Artie are killing me.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Does anyone know what item Howard was talking about this morning in that conversation with Gary? I only hear part but it was sort of like a money clip but not quite, and whatever Gary had was similar but "wrong".

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

Sand Monster posted:

Does anyone know what item Howard was talking about this morning in that conversation with Gary? I only hear part but it was sort of like a money clip but not quite, and whatever Gary had was similar but "wrong".

It was a small credit-card holder with a money clip on the back. Got the idea from Jerry Seinfeld.

He purchased one on the fly, but didn't like how cheap it looked. And since he's a man of taste, he spent about 30mins ordering a fancier one online (Bloomingdales, I think).

geera
May 20, 2003

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

I thought it was hArrible. They were trying way too hard to make something funny out of nothing. I never thought I'd side with EtM on anything, and usually I enjoy when they bust on him, but how is following Cinnabon and Olive Garden on Twitter a thing worth spending more than 2 seconds on? Maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

MoreMetalBrian posted:

It was a small credit-card holder with a money clip on the back. Got the idea from Jerry Seinfeld.

He purchased one on the fly, but didn't like how cheap it looked. And since he's a man of taste, he spent about 30mins ordering a fancier one online (Bloomingdales, I think).

Then the next three weeks complaining about how it would be better if Steve Jobs designed it

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

geera posted:

I thought it was hArrible. They were trying way too hard to make something funny out of nothing. I never thought I'd side with EtM on anything, and usually I enjoy when they bust on him, but how is following Cinnabon and Olive Garden on Twitter a thing worth spending more than 2 seconds on? Maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

The way Eric couldn't explain why he followed those restaurants made me laugh. It was such a simple question and he just couldn't do it.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Holy Calamity! posted:

This is incredible. Can't believe I've never seen it before. Gilbert and Artie are killing me.

Gilbert: Can I get a round of applause for killing Christ?

I laughed my rear end off when Phelps and Daniel Carver started to debate over bible quotes. Why don't they do crazy stuff like this anymore?

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

MoreMetalBrian posted:

What marvels will they think of next!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Huffington Post had Artie on today, he talks about why he hasn't come back to the Stern Show.

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/archive/segment/artie-lange-reveals-why-he-hasnt-returned-to-howard-sterns-show/5281249e78c90a2e82000275