Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

computer parts posted:

I don't know what better cover story there could be over "hey you tried to do a ritual that's literally designed to kill you, maybe that's why you're feeling so faint lately".

Except Sam feels fine. He's repeatedly mentioned that he feels great.

"You're just having a lovely streak of getting knocked out" is starting to wear thin though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Writer Cath posted:

Except Sam feels fine. He's repeatedly mentioned that he feels great.

"You're just having a lovely streak of getting knocked out" is starting to wear thin though.

People feel fine all the time after traumatic experiences and then they just drop dead one day, like Liam Neeson's wife.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

computer parts posted:

I don't know what better cover story there could be over "hey you tried to do a ritual that's literally designed to kill you, maybe that's why you're feeling so faint lately".

1. Find an excuse as to why strange things happen when Sam gets knocked out. 2. Stop making stupid comments like "Are you sure that you are ok?" and then not having an answer when Sam asks what he is talking about. I know Sam is the book guy of the two, but Dean is usually not this completely clueless.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Sam is going to get Charlie's angel computer running very soon and Dean is going to have some serious 'splaining.

Edit: You'll note there's no comment on this past episode because aside from the fetch bit it fell completely on it's face. Although, it was funny seeing evil Figurative Chef Monster from Leverage as Evil Literal Chef Monster on Supernatural.

cool kids inc. fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 7, 2013

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I watched the last 2 back to back last night.

I'm pretty shocked so many people disliked the Oz episode; I thought it was pretty good. But the dog episode was dire. It was like a bridge too far, even for a Supernatural comedy episode. Somehow I loved Changing Channels and French Mistake but this one was just off.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I just started watching the most recent episode on Hulu and in the intro there was a clip where Sam opens a locker and Dean lets out a girly scream as a cat jumps out and then says 'boy that was scary'. What episode was that from, I don't remember it and must watch it!

edit:

Was Taters posted:

No bailing out?!

You should tweet that to Misha :3:

Danith fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 7, 2013

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Danith posted:

I just started watching the most recent episode on Hulu and in the intro there was a clip where Sam opens a locker and Dean lets out a girly scream as a cat jumps out and then says 'boy that was scary'. What episode was that from, I don't remember it and must watch it!
Pretty sure that was from season 4 ep. 6, "Yellow Fever".

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

It's also where the "we're insane" speech in the Then montage comes from. That episode is actually funny. And also the source of leg guitar.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

cool kids inc. posted:

It's also where the "we're insane" speech in the Then montage comes from. That episode is actually funny. And also the source of leg guitar.

Let's be honest, the full leg guitar clip is the best thing this show ever produced (and I love this show).

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

misguided rage posted:

Pretty sure that was from season 4 ep. 6, "Yellow Fever".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE9mR470fFI

Normie Chomsky
Apr 10, 2008

Astroman posted:

I watched the last 2 back to back last night.

I'm pretty shocked so many people disliked the Oz episode; I thought it was pretty good. But the dog episode was dire. It was like a bridge too far, even for a Supernatural comedy episode. Somehow I loved Changing Channels and French Mistake but this one was just off.

I was hoping it'd lead back to the overarching plot, like Gabriel loving with them or something. The Oz episode was good enough for me so having two episodes like it back to back felt strange.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

OptimusWang posted:

Let's be honest, the full leg guitar clip is the best thing this show ever produced (and I love this show).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh2CionwCTM :smug: one of my favorite episodes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Man crush confirmed, stupid sexy Jensen

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

The best part of this is the sound of Jared pissing himself laughing in the background.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

I could have had the worst day, but watching this always makes it immediately better. :3: As for this past episode, yeah it wasn't as en pointe as their other comedy episodes, but it still had its moments!

Anyway, they need another leg guitar clip. Or Ghostfacers. Or both combined somehow!

Coulrophobia
Oct 11, 2012

Mixoux posted:

having two episodes like it back to back felt strange.

Seasons 4 and 5 were kind of like that too...dead-serious mytharc episodes padded between completely goofball episodes.

Dean's come back from the dead, threatened by angels, and Sam has gone off the demon blood deep-end? Time for ghost sickness and Dracula on a moped!

The anti-christ is making silly childhood urban legends become reality, Dean turns into an old dude, Sam and Dean get trapped in tv land, then they go hang out with a bunch of people cosplaying as them? Better end that off with Ellen and Jo's heart-rending deaths, Satan slaughtering an entire town, and a feeling of utter hopelessness!

I completely love it :3:

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
I wonder if they ever look back and regret giving the Seven Deadly Sins such short shrift in season 3, especially when making such a big deal of the Horsemen.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

User-Friendly posted:

I wonder if they ever look back and regret giving the Seven Deadly Sins such short shrift in season 3, especially when making such a big deal of the Horsemen.

I think they regret having Season 3 in general being so short.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I missed series 8, so over the last couple of weeks sped through it and caught up on S9. Following along with the thread, one thing I noticed was interesting.

I don't think any show's thread has as much "Yep, that episode was really good" or "the episode was a bit of a let down" as this show. It's nice to see everyone's point of view, but it is more interesting to try and understand why this show in particular gets review type posts more than others (as a percentage of overall posts). Perhaps it's the fairly small and cozy group of repeat posters, or that it seems to be mostly women posting, I've no idea. But it really stands out when reading a whole season's thread over a short period as a characteristic for Supernatural.

Awful shows get lots of review type replies, but that's to be expected. Flash Forward and the Event were good examples. But this one gets a real mix of positive and negative.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

computer parts posted:

I think they regret having Season 3 in general being so short.

Wasn't that around the time of the writer's strike? I seem to remember seeing here or some random place that they had a lot more plans for that season, but it was cut way short.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

EC posted:

Wasn't that around the time of the writer's strike? I seem to remember seeing here or some random place that they had a lot more plans for that season, but it was cut way short.

It was, and it's really interesting seeing the effects the writer's strike had on all sorts of media (e.g., Breaking Bad Season 1, Transformers 2, Quantum of Solace, etc).

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
The thing is, despite the writer's strike, almost every episode in Season 3 owns so hard, except for Bad Day at Black Rock, and that awful seven deadly sins episode.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

User-Friendly posted:

The thing is, despite the writer's strike, almost every episode in Season 3 owns so hard, except for Bad Day at Black Rock, and that awful seven deadly sins episode.

:ssj: You take that back. Bad Day at Black Rock is the only decent fanservice episode in the whole loving series. You cram that stupid 'we're in tv shows' or 'I'm a goddamn dog' episode in your ear and give me more like BDABR and Mystery Spot.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Which one was Bad Day at black rock again? I want to pick a side to this argument.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

EC posted:

Which one was Bad Day at black rock again? I want to pick a side to this argument.

The one where Sam gets jinxed by their dad's cursed rabbit's foot.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Was Taters posted:

Great episode! Who doesn't like that one? I'll fight them!

Season three had Ghost Ship, didn't it? Red Sky at Morning - I consider that the weakest link of the season and even that had some worthy moments, like Sam getting hit on by the dame.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Bad Day at Black Rock had Dean's "I'm Batman" scene. How can you call it awful?

If anything, the ghost ship episode was the worst of that season.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

Bad Day at Black Rock had Dean's "I'm Batman" scene. How can you call it awful?

It also had the best background gag. "I lost my shoe. :smith:" Amazing episode, even though it introduced Bella.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Was Taters posted:

You mean the best loving episode of Supernatural ever?

:colbert:

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
My bad, guys. I got Bad Day at Black Rock confused with the ghost ship one.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

User-Friendly posted:

My bad, guys. I got Bad Day at Black Rock confused with the ghost ship one.

The Black Rock was the ship in another show. That's probably where the confusion came in.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The ghost ship one had a pretty nifty ghost explosiony drowning water effect though, and the old lady grabbing a handful of Sam booty while the gettin was good.

Season 3 was during the writer's strike, so we got shorted something like 5 episodes from a normal season.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Was BDaBR the first episode to introduce Sam's problem with old ladies molesting him? I can't really remember.
I liked Bela, dammit. I think her sad backstory came too late in the show, though, by the time we knew why she stole the Colt and was such a bitch, most people already hated her. Sure, she wasn't the best person but whatever, Sam and Dean kill people all the time.

Watching the first season and Meg's possession really startled me. The boys used to give a poo poo about the host. Sam used saving the demon's host as a justification for his demon blood addiction...and now? Well, if a demon possesses you and is stupid enough to run across the Winchesters, son, you're hosed. Starting to wonder if Henrikson was some kind of prophet after all. How many people have Sam and Dean killed vs. saved at this point? Sure, they saved the world but they're the ones endangering it in the first place.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

computer parts posted:

It was, and it's really interesting seeing the effects the writer's strike had on all sorts of media (e.g., Breaking Bad Season 1, Transformers 2, Quantum of Solace, etc).

The writers' strike helped kill Pushing Daisies which still makes me so sad! :argh:

I really need to rewatch the earlier episodes, I just would like to do it with someone who is watching it for the first time because it's always fun to watch their reactions to episodes like Bad Day at Black Rock

empty sea posted:

Watching the first season and Meg's possession really startled me. The boys used to give a poo poo about the host. Sam used saving the demon's host as a justification for his demon blood addiction...and now? Well, if a demon possesses you and is stupid enough to run across the Winchesters, son, you're hosed. Starting to wonder if Henrikson was some kind of prophet after all. How many people have Sam and Dean killed vs. saved at this point? Sure, they saved the world but they're the ones endangering it in the first place.

I think the evolution of the boys' characters and of the show itself since the first episode is fascinating. They started out really wanting to save individuals no matter what, but then they had to be willing to let a few slip through the cracks if it meant saving the entire world as they basically started to dig themselves deeper and deeper. Also, like I said before, they used to be really adamant about 'whatever is dead should stay dead' The irony being that none of the whole apocalypse thing and the aftermath would have happened if Dean had let Sam stay dead at the end of season 2.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I liked this episode but then again I shamelessly love anything Supernatural.

So apparently there's a spinoff in the works and an episode this season will serve as a potential backdoor pilot? Please be awesome and give us plenty more seasons of awesomeness. :pray:

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I liked this episode but then again I shamelessly love anything Supernatural.

So apparently there's a spinoff in the works and an episode this season will serve as a potential backdoor pilot? Please be awesome and give us plenty more seasons of awesomeness. :pray:

Probably "Hosed by An Angel", the dramatic story of a bunch of petulant seraphim.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

empty sea posted:

The boys used to give a poo poo about the host.

yeah, that still vaguely bothers me. Uh, guys, remember how exorcism is a thing? Used to be a thing? Remember how startling it used to be to have Ruby's knife and just straight up kill demon-possessed dudes? Whatever happened to tying someone to a chair and throwing holy water at them for a while?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Vorgen posted:

yeah, that still vaguely bothers me. Uh, guys, remember how exorcism is a thing? Used to be a thing? Remember how startling it used to be to have Ruby's knife and just straight up kill demon-possessed dudes? Whatever happened to tying someone to a chair and throwing holy water at them for a while?

It's tricky, because these days when they fight demons they tend to fight them in groups, so there isn't time to perform any kind of exorcism. It's another symptom of the "leveling-up" effect in the show, where demons used to be incredibly powerful, fearsome, and rare enemies but have become essentially foot soldiers.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Vorgen posted:

I think this is something that shows a bit of the wasted potential this show has. You could tell interesting and powerful stories about how Sam & Dean aren't really too different from the monsters they fight anymore, but instead whenever the show wants to do drama it's some bullshit where they keep secrets from eachother and blah blah I can't be with Amelia how sad blah blah. There are still fun episodes of Supernatural, but great, or even good ones? Nah. It's always been a formulaic, monster-of-the-week type of show, but I feel somewhere along the line the writers just gave up and got lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Rubys knife is bad rear end but I wish they had lost it. Around the time of the horsemen episodes they just started stabbing the gently caress out of every one and everything. It was around the "war" episode that I started to notice it.

So now they have the angel blade that can kill, demons, angels, reapers, probbaly shifters, vamps and everything else too. Everything is going to die.

What I really want to see is more non-American supernatural stuff. Get some monsters really steeped in voodoo. maybe some things from out in Japan, New Zealand, hell Mexico is right there, get some of those.

• Locked thread