Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

Limerick posted:

Also we need 1.6.x BigReactors.

(Pretty please? :shobon:)

I just got BR functional on 1.6.4 last night, actually. AlgorithmX2 (who is a super cool dude, truth) pointed out something stupefying simple, which meant I didn't have to rewrite a bunch of stuff. There's still kinks to work out, like all the blocks not having textures because resource loading moved around or something, but there's progress.

It'll happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Erogenous Beef posted:

I just got BR functional on 1.6.4 last night, actually. AlgorithmX2 (who is a super cool dude, truth) pointed out something stupefying simple, which meant I didn't have to rewrite a bunch of stuff. There's still kinks to work out, like all the blocks not having textures because resource loading moved around or something, but there's progress.

It'll happen.

Algo's the guy responsible for AE, isn't he? One of my favorite mods (and yet, oddly, one I'm not using in my single-player world that I'm doing Dimensional Doors testing in...)

It's good to know you've been saved a lot of work!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Serifina posted:

Algo's the guy responsible for AE, isn't he? One of my favorite mods (and yet, oddly, one I'm not using in my single-player world that I'm doing Dimensional Doors testing in...)

It's good to know you've been saved a lot of work!

Yup, that's the one. I'm not modder but I've talked to the guy a few times and he seems like an all around rad dude.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
It's good that he's a good guy - I can't imagine going without AE at this point in minecraft, it's just so loving useful.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Taffer posted:

Yup, that's the one. I'm not modder but I've talked to the guy a few times and he seems like an all around rad dude.

:) We need more rad dudes in game modding. Not just Minecraft, but any games that get modded. Less :byodood: MY VISION like Arthmoor and CJ, more :science: like Erogenous Beef, power crystals, Seorin, and...oh wait, most of the super-rad modders I know by name are goons.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Okay, I'm feeling stupid. I'm using the Luddite pack, and I'm trying to craft some things that I need vis for. Is there any way to get a specific kind of vis, like Ignis, without spending days hunting for a node with it?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

TwystNeko posted:

Okay, I'm feeling stupid. I'm using the Luddite pack, and I'm trying to craft some things that I need vis for. Is there any way to get a specific kind of vis, like Ignis, without spending days hunting for a node with it?

If you need it in your wand, nope. Once you get to a certain point, you can bottle up nodes and bring them back to your base, which makes recharging your wand a lot more convenient.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
ugh. That's just obnoxious. I want to make things like the goggles, but nope! gotta get some ignis in there! Even worse - if I want a better wand, it needs stuff I don't have.

... this is why I cheat. :(

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Ariong posted:

I tried this method, and when I tried to boot up Hexxit through the Tekkit launcher this window appeared.

This happened every time I tried to boot up Hexxit. I then uninstalled all versions of Java on my computer and reinstalled them, and am still getting the same problem. Attempting to boot up other mods with the Technic Launcher gets me the same result. Vanilla Minecraft launched through the vanilla launcher works fine.

It's generally good form to post a fresh log to prove you successfully updated. Go into your .technic/hexxit/saves folder and delete anything that says NEI and try again. If it doesn't work, post a fresh log.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

For any Technic maintainer Goons here, is there a reason why the "Increase Max Permgen" is gone? From what I've read on the forums for Big Dig, people were previously able to run it fine with the option enabled but have since been getting terrible lag and sporadic slowdowns now that its been removed.

I know that its supposed to automatically activate when you set the memory usage to >2GB but, while I haven't been able to try it myself, other Big Dig users have reported that this doesn't work and I myself haven't been able to get it to stop lagging out even when I set my memory usage to > 4GB which is generally not really a good idea anyway.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

PiCroft posted:

I know that its supposed to automatically activate when you set the memory usage to >2GB but, while I haven't been able to try it myself, other Big Dig users have reported that this doesn't work and I myself haven't been able to get it to stop lagging out even when I set my memory usage to > 4GB which is generally not really a good idea anyway.

If you check the Snooper Settings in Options after starting Minecraft, you can see the JVM args there. I just started Taffer's pack with memory usage set to 2GB and there's a line there for permgen: -XX:MaxPermSize=256m

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009
This is probably a stupid question, but: supposing one wanted to port a map from Tekkit to Toast, would Block IDs get horribly confused and randomly turn pipes to sand and computers to TNT and such? I know new ores and biomes would only occur in newly generated chunks unless MCEdit was used to preserve certain areas and regen others. A server I play on wants to keep its work, but also have Artifice, Redstone in Motion, Big Reactors, Effector Fields, etc., and on the surface it seems easier to switch modpacks than to manually include them into Tekkit. But maybe it isn't; we're not terribly versed in the whole thing.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Dux Supremus posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but: supposing one wanted to port a map from Tekkit to Toast, would Block IDs get horribly confused and randomly turn pipes to sand and computers to TNT and such? I know new ores and biomes would only occur in newly generated chunks unless MCEdit was used to preserve certain areas and regen others. A server I play on wants to keep its work, but also have Artifice, Redstone in Motion, Big Reactors, Effector Fields, etc., and on the surface it seems easier to switch modpacks than to manually include them into Tekkit. But maybe it isn't; we're not terribly versed in the whole thing.

Yes, lots of things will break very badly. It'd be possible to fix it probably, but it would be a lot of MCedit work.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

TwystNeko posted:

You want to get a distiller. A distiller will take objects and break them down into one of the basic essences. For example you need Ignis? Put near your research table a crystal cluster of that. As long as you're in the area you'll get a free ignis research point every minute or so. Throw some stuff into your distiller and if you're lucky you'll get some ignis, too.

I see this a fail point for the mod, really. Games that use randomosity as a key game mechanic seem like a failure to me.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
But that's for research. I need it in my wand, so I can upgrade my wand/goggles/whatever the hell.

I'm in a forest full of silver/greatwood trees, and have found maybe... 3 nodes? None of them have anything I need anymore. Is there a better way to search for the stupid things other than roam around randomly with the thaumometer?

Forums Influencer
Jul 4, 2010
The easiest way is probably getting a boat on an ocean at night, the nodes cast a small amount of light so they're easy to see even without a thaumometer. The same works on land too but you have to deal with less mobs on water.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

30.5 Days posted:

It's generally good form to post a fresh log to prove you successfully updated. Go into your .technic/hexxit/saves folder and delete anything that says NEI and try again. If it doesn't work, post a fresh log.

What do you mean by a "fresh log"? If you mean a crash report, well, would there even be one if the game never boots in the first place?

EDIT: I removed anything to do with NEI and it's still giving me the virtual machine error. Would my next step be to save my world and reinstall the Technic launcher altogether?

Ariong fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 8, 2013

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

TwystNeko posted:

But that's for research. I need it in my wand, so I can upgrade my wand/goggles/whatever the hell.

I'm in a forest full of silver/greatwood trees, and have found maybe... 3 nodes? None of them have anything I need anymore. Is there a better way to search for the stupid things other than roam around randomly with the thaumometer?

You can kill creepers and zombie pigmen for ignis, I believe.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Klanty posted:

The easiest way is probably getting a boat on an ocean at night, the nodes cast a small amount of light so they're easy to see even without a thaumometer. The same works on land too but you have to deal with less mobs on water.

Also, if you're using Rei's Minimap, set the rendering to Night instead of Dynamic, and you'll be able to spot a lot of nodes on the map.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but this mod is almost exactly the direction I think the ingame rails need to take. I just wish the trains were a little smaller and the modder wasn't obsessed with replicating Russian rolling stock.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You wish a mod explicitly about wide gauge had smaller trains?

What?

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

Is there a guide anywhere about uploading a modpack to a server for complete idiots? I'm renting a server from tree puncher and would like to run the toast crunchy pack. I have the SMP server downloaded. Can I just upload that as-is to the server and expect it to work?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

FlashFearless posted:

Is there a guide anywhere about uploading a modpack to a server for complete idiots? I'm renting a server from tree puncher and would like to run the toast crunchy pack. I have the SMP server downloaded. Can I just upload that as-is to the server and expect it to work?

Forge's guide is kind of sparce.

Ideally you download the version of forge supported by the modpack and the vanilla minecraft server. Place both in the root directory of where your server will be running. Make a little script file (.bat or .sh, depending upon host) to launch the server then start it up once. It should create all of the basic necessary directories (config, mods,..). Then take the zip of the modpack and put all of the mods in the mods directory and config files in the config directory.

Now, the modpack is set for single-player so you'll need to go through the mods and remove any client-side-only mods. Once done you can start the server again and should be good to go.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

You wish a mod explicitly about wide gauge had smaller trains?

What?

I wish the mod wasn't explicitly about wide gauge.

It better fits the minecraft environment better anyway: any railroads you build are going to be for personal use or a small number of people, typically connecting mines to castles or whatever. Plus, these railways are being built by individuals using prefabricated pieces of track. Historically these sorts of railways were narrow or minimum gauge.

So yes, I want the same approach (rewriting rail mechanics from the bottom up) with smaller trains.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Triskelli posted:

I wish the mod wasn't explicitly about wide gauge.

It better fits the minecraft environment better anyway: any railroads you build are going to be for personal use or a small number of people, typically connecting mines to castles or whatever. Plus, these railways are being built by individuals using prefabricated pieces of track. Historically these sorts of railways were narrow or minimum gauge.

So yes, I want the same approach (rewriting rail mechanics from the bottom up) with smaller trains.

So wouldn't that be traincraft with it's called down trains and such?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

So wouldn't that be traincraft with it's called down trains and such?

I know I'm :spergin: at this point, but railcraft and traincraft don't have the bigger curves Rails of War have, keeping the 90 degree turns of vanilla. I'm usually better at articulating my points than this.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 8, 2013

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

:parrot:
I'm putting together a (potentially public?) modpack centered around Thaumcraft, RotaryCraft, and the upcoming Thermal Expansion 3 for a (potentially public?) server, and want to know what you guys think of the list so far. The intended feel is supposed to be somewhat of a high-risk high-reward dealie, wherein there's little grind but still plenty of challenge in other forms.

The lack of a big worldgen overhaul mod is intentional. As much as I love BoP, every mod like that (I briefly tested the big names in single player) tends to be way too laggy to justify itself on a public server. Also, Thermal Expansion 3 doesn't exist yet, I know. Not planning to put this up tonight.

http://pastebin.com/tqcBiEJr

Why do you care? I dunno. All I offer you is the chance to call me a shitlord with bad taste in mods. Anything I should add or remove? Infernal Mobs is configured such that all of the stupid poo poo in it is disabled, so no need to toss that.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Limerick posted:

I'm putting together a (potentially public?) modpack centered around Thaumcraft, RotaryCraft, and the upcoming Thermal Expansion 3 for a (potentially public?) server, and want to know what you guys think of the list so far. The intended feel is supposed to be somewhat of a high-risk high-reward dealie, wherein there's little grind but still plenty of challenge in other forms.

The lack of a big worldgen overhaul mod is intentional. As much as I love BoP, every mod like that (I briefly tested the big names in single player) tends to be way too laggy to justify itself on a public server. Also, Thermal Expansion 3 doesn't exist yet, I know. Not planning to put this up tonight.

Why do you care? I dunno. All I offer you is the chance to call me a shitlord with bad taste in mods. Anything I should add or remove? Infernal Mobs is configured such that all of the stupid poo poo in it is disabled, so no need to toss that.

1) Thaumcraft can't be officially a part of a public mod pack (you'd have to have people download it separately). Unless you know Azanor personally and can get permission?

2) You'll want to make sure you edit the AE file directly and remove the MFR API stuff from it. AE still has the old MFR API and can crash your server completely if someone tries to use AE stuff on MFR machines.

3) Don't forget NEIAddons/Plugins.

4) No Extra Bees?

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

Serifina posted:

1) Thaumcraft can't be officially a part of a public mod pack (you'd have to have people download it separately). Unless you know Azanor personally and can get permission?

God loving drat it mod pack cancelled.

I hate intellectual property. :smithicide:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serifina posted:

2) You'll want to make sure you edit the AE file directly and remove the MFR API stuff from it. AE still has the old MFR API and can crash your server completely if someone tries to use AE stuff on MFR machines.

4) No Extra Bees?

Limerick posted:

What? Are you guys serious?

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

What? Are you guys serious?

Oh very much so

A good modder who is a dick posted:

The code of “Thaumcraft for Minecraft” in source or binary form is the intellectual property of Azanor. You may not reproduce, redistribute or modify it.

As a habit I ignore every PM in regards to mod-packs - both private and public. Everything you need to know about them is listed below. I don't ignore them to be an rear end, but I get at least 10 mod-pack requests per day and I honeslty can't be bothered to reply to them all.

Public Mod Packs:
All mod packs I want to include Thaumcraft already have my permission. Only people I am personally acquainted with have any chance of me giving permission for their mod pack.
Currently these include:
- Feed the Beast
- AMCO
- SolitaryCraft
- Technologica

Server Packs:
Private server packs are granted permission to include past and the current client versions of Thaumcraft in a mod pack tailored exclusively for that Minecraft server. The pack must be distributed in a way that ensures that only players currently active on that server can download it. Private server packs are only mod packs intended for use by a closed membership Minecraft server and distributed only to those members.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I think he means who gives a poo poo about being "allowed" to put a mod in a mod pack.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Limerick posted:

I don't think Azanor understands intellectual property or file distribution very well.

Shukaro posted:

I think he means who gives a poo poo about being "allowed" to put a mod in a mod pack.
That's how I interpret it.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Limerick posted:

Stop caring, your a goon and it will be low key modpack anyway, Azanor can go suck a long and hard one.

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

Shadowmorn posted:

Stop caring, your a goon and it will be low key modpack anyway, Azanor can go suck a long and hard one.

Yeah, this is the option that makes sense. I was just too angry about the awful horseshit that is "If you're not my personal friend gently caress off and don't redistribute this, tia :)" to make rational judgements for a minute.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Understandable, Its frustrating in Azanor's case since he seemed chill with it, then started drinking from the same piss filled well the rest of them sip from and went all modders rights on us.

If i didn't know better, id say they twisted his arm, but then i think of Machinemuse & KingLemming and i dont see big "DO NOT PUT IN UNAUTHORIZED MODPACKS, gently caress TEKKIT, KILL KAKER" warnings on their mods. :colbert:

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Probably not for want of trying. I think the whole "Modder's Rights" debacle has been tapped out as an entertainment source so far. Maybe some new level of bull shittery will be reached. Honestly I both hope it wont, and fear it will.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Serifina posted:

4) No Extra Bees?

1) Nobody cares

2) This is not necessary with the beta, which you should be using anyway

4) extra bees is a very bad idea if you're running a server

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

What makes Extra Bees a bad idea when running a server?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Limerick posted:

What is safe I can't find it, also look into mark2, xan's minimap and traincraft.

wargames fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 9, 2013

• Locked thread