Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Who wouldn't want to strangle Peri if she was the first thing your brand new eyes and ears were exposed to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Who wouldn't want to strangle Peri if she was the first thing your brand new eyes and ears were exposed to?

Dads. She was something for them.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Four new promo pics for Day:

Loving Ten's tie. Also, according to the BBC, a trailer for The Day of the Doctor is to be shown on BBC One at 8 PM on Saturday. About time!

EDIT: Also hashtags seem to be a big thing in 2013.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 7, 2013

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
She's... SHE'S WEARING A T.BAKES SCARF!
:aaaaa:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Tennant prepping his pointing finger for a western adaptation of Ace Attorney.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Forktoss posted:

Four new promo pics for Day:

1) In good, clear light, it really shows how cheap Tennant's suit looks. Seriously they couldn't have run him off a new one? It looks like they bought it from some Chinese cosplay tailor on eBay.

2) Close-ups of your main actor which show nothing else are the dullest promo pics.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

Dads. She was something for them.

John Nathan-Turner posted:

Straight people, I gave you tits! Lots of tits! Why aren't you watching the goddamn show?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

1) In good, clear light, it really shows how cheap Tennant's suit looks. Seriously they couldn't have run him off a new one? It looks like they bought it from some Chinese cosplay tailor on eBay.

It's possible it's the original suit, which was literally made of pants.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Maera Sior posted:

It's possible it's the original suit, which was literally made of pants.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Tennant held onto the suit for when he inevitably came back to the role. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was the original.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Oh good, I'm glad they're managing to take time from the 50th to make sure we haven't forgotten that compelling "I hosed Queen Elizabeth" joke.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'm betting they explain it away as "he got joke married to her for some contrived reason and found out she was having an affair with someone else and they never actually did anything more than kiss." Then he bails on her, never comes back, and she wants him dead when she sees him later in her life (earlier in his).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
She wants to be like her daddy and chop off his head. Or one of her advisers tricked him into giving her a death warrant with his name on it, and refusing it would destroy the entire British system.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Very brief clip from DotD released. Catch it here.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
That's pretty clearly Kate Stewart doing the offscreen talking, yeah?

Interesting to get another confirmation that the woman in the scarf really is in the episode...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

zamiel posted:

Huh, interesting. Gallifrey burning.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Tennant, after Water of Mars flies into the Time War and tries to undo what he did, terrified of becoming the Timelord Victorious. He succeeds, but things go horribly wrong and after hundreds of years as the Hurt Doctor, fighting the the New Time War he travels back into his own past to fix things, realizing that in an effort to remain the Doctor he's lost what that name means. He recruits his young and older self in this scheme, knowing he will regenerate in to Smith if his meddling in the timelines makes it a fixed point that he does so.

He accomplishes this on Trenzalore, where the resurrected Time Lords are trying to stop him and he must kill himself to enter his own timeline, like Clara did, and fix things.

Everything we've seen from Eleven onwards has been the Doctor knowing that he's destined to meet he's alternative self and die to allow the timelines to be fixed and end the Timewar once and for all. Tennant knew this too and feared his death/regeneration because of it.

The Christmas special ties this all together with Smith dying and creating the timeline matrix we saw in Name of the Doctor with Hurt fading from existence. Then, shockingly, Capaldi steps out of the timeline and the next mystery is how and who, etc.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Astroman posted:

I'm betting they explain it away as "he got joke married to her for some contrived reason and found out she was having an affair with someone else and they never actually did anything more than kiss." Then he bails on her, never comes back, and she wants him dead when she sees him later in her life (earlier in his).

'fraid not.

The BBC posted:

Q: There’s a little bit of romance between Queen Elizabeth and the Tenth Doctor. What was is it like filming those scenes?

JP: Filming the romantic scenes were quite difficult because my first day was on top of a mountain in Neath. It was absolutely freezing, it was blowing a gale and David, the Tenth Doctor and I, are having a picnic. So I’m lying across him and he probably couldn’t breathe, because I’ve just got this massive costume on, and he’s feeding me grapes as I’m just desperately shivering. You’ve got to try and play it romantic and relaxed, when actually you’re freezing cold. I think our lips were turning blue and I stopped feeling my hands. The next day, because it had been so cold with the wind my hands were bright red and all blistered because they were so chapped. So everyone is probably jealous, thinking she gets to kiss the Tenth Doctor and it’s all romantic, but it’s not; my lips were numb and my hands were chapped.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

moths posted:

It's a Wonderful Life was about saving a single life. And for all the poo poo people give RTD, he frequently recognized and exulted the inherent value in a single human's existence.

While reading this, I remembered Voyage of the Damned which has so many unsympathetic, but decently moral, characters falling in a goddamn pit of fire for no reason.

Hence: hahaha, no.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

We're also getting the comicon trailer on sunday.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

I'd assumed that because Rose was coming back, we would be getting Series 2 Tenth Doctor, but if they're including all the Queen Elizabeth stuff then it must be post-Waters of Mars Tenth Doctor. So where does Rose come into it?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tomtrek posted:

I'd assumed that because Rose was coming back, we would be getting Series 2 Tenth Doctor, but if they're including all the Queen Elizabeth stuff then it must be post-Waters of Mars Tenth Doctor. So where does Rose come into it?

Based on the hairstyle and the suit and Rose's outfit, it's definitely Series 2 Tenth Doctor. I'm guessing Queen Elizabeth is just Moffat handwaving.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

zamiel posted:

I want to believe that this means that the Queen has secretly been a Time Lord this whole time, because that would be the sweetest thing the show could possibly do for its oldest fan :3:.

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Huh, interesting. Gallifrey burning.

The reverse view, posted on the Facebook feed today (as no one has posted it yet).

Note the Tom Baker scarf girl again.

Mr. Snazz
Nov 15, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Tennant, after Water of Mars flies into the Time War and tries to undo what he did, terrified of becoming the Timelord Victorious. He succeeds, but things go horribly wrong and after hundreds of years as the Hurt Doctor, fighting the the New Time War he travels back into his own past to fix things, realizing that in an effort to remain the Doctor he's lost what that name means. He recruits his young and older self in this scheme, knowing he will regenerate in to Smith if his meddling in the timelines makes it a fixed point that he does so.

He accomplishes this on Trenzalore, where the resurrected Time Lords are trying to stop him and he must kill himself to enter his own timeline, like Clara did, and fix things.

Everything we've seen from Eleven onwards has been the Doctor knowing that he's destined to meet he's alternative self and die to allow the timelines to be fixed and end the Timewar once and for all. Tennant knew this too and feared his death/regeneration because of it.

The Christmas special ties this all together with Smith dying and creating the timeline matrix we saw in Name of the Doctor with Hurt fading from existence. Then, shockingly, Capaldi steps out of the timeline and the next mystery is how and who, etc.

Is this a theory, or is this supposed to be an actual spoiler?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm guessing theory, Moffat doesn't reach back into previous seasons for plot that much (in fact he ignores previous seasons as much as possible, including the ones he himself wrote, which is annoying). It'll probably turn out to be better than the actual plot though.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

That is some great fanwank. Even fits in with what was behind The Doctor's door in The God Complex.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
The 50th trailer is supposed to air tomorrow but leaked early:

http://io9.com/first-real-trailer-for-the-doctor-who-anniversary-dale-1461175336

This is going to be awesome.

The whole Piper is an "apocalyptic" Rose thing looks like she isn't exactly Rose after all. The "Bad Wolf" thing in the poster and her look there makes it seem like she's some form of alternate take on her.

Teek fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 9, 2013

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Yeah, that trailer really got me pumped. With the mention of The Moment, it seems like we might be getting our first really good look at the Time War?

I have no idea if that's a good thing or a bad thing...

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Yeah I don't think that's really Rose. Maybe just a physical manifestation of Bad Wolf/Heart of the Tardis/Whatever trying to correct what the Hurt Doctor did maybe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Anyone notice Hurt's using a different control console? Looks like a newer version of 9's...

Here's a screencap!

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 9, 2013

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Zaggitz posted:

do you not see the BAD WOLF in the poster? Clear indication that it's Super Rose from the end of s1 making a cameo.

I hope so, I hate Rose and I need her to have as little screentime as possible.

On loving POINT, you naysaysers can suck it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Man, that trailer just made me realise how much I've missed david Tennant. I mean Matt Smith is great too. They're both great and I'm looking forward to seeing them together.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

A hundred and eighty minutes of this wouldn't be enough.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Anyone notice Hurt's using a different control console? Looks like a newer version of 9's...

Here's a screencap!

Desktop settings. :smug:

But those supports do look like 9/10's. And it seems confirmed that this is the Time War Doctor. Hell, looks like we get to see The Moment. Now imagine all those Dalek battle scenes and Doctor Hurt walking around going on at the same time as the scenes with Rassilon we saw a couple seasons back.

moths posted:

Agreed. Whatever they give us won't be enough. I hope they do many more things together...anniversaries, audios, whatever.

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003
REDTEXTING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS YOU GUYS.

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.
All this talk of Hurt Doctor made me think back to his line of dialogue in Name. "What I did, I did without choice, in the name of peace, and sanity." (paraphrased from memory).

What sticks out to me: 'in the name...[of] sanity.' If he is the Time War Doctor, and it looks like he is, that tells me that the later days of the Time War made no sense - they were filled with senseless and endless death, bloodshed and war happening over and over in endless temporal feints and loops back and forth across all of space and time. The kind of conflict that would drive even the most hardened warrior insane, which also brings to mind the Master, who was brought back by the Time Lords specifically because they saw a ruthless warrior such as himself being the prime candidate to fight such a war, turning and running scared out of his damned mind in his first instance of actual combat in it. It makes me really look forward to what we'll be seeing in the 50th where the Time War is concerned.

Renzian fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 9, 2013

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif
My local cinema is airing the special live in 3d do you think it's worth going?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

These Zygons look dry. Zygons should be moist and squicky. Episode ruined, let me tell you.

Two pairs of Kate Stewarts and Tom-scarf girls? Time shenanigans, or what?

moths posted:

And yes, I just want like five hours of Matt and David pointing at each other and smiling. I do like that it seems like we're getting a more jovial Doctor/Doctor-relationship than the classic Troghton-Pertwee bickerfest, which I love, of course, but it feels much more fitting for Ten and Eleven to just get super excited with how cool it is to meet yourself from the past/future.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

God though, I hope there's at least a brief "just because you're not musical!"-style bickering session.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

2house2fly posted:

God though, I hope there's at least a brief "just because you're not musical!"-style bickering session.

I can see Ten complaining about Eleven's dress sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Where's my Eccleston :qq:

• Locked thread