Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I did not but I am not intrigued tell me of these crispy brown cheesy croutons.

The Blender is the Cuisinart SmartPower Duet Blender and Food Processor, so however powerful it is.

The cheese did taste good in the soup I will add as an aside.

You can top a thick slice of crusty bread with some cheese and broil it. Or what I oft do is put some cheese in a Teflon pan then put the slice of bread on top. Eventually the cheese will crisp and the fat will render out but will stick to the bread so I'll flip it and fry the other side in the rendered cheese fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Question time:

Rice pudding. I personally hate rice pudding; it's a texture thing. Same reason I cannot stand tapioca. I know, I know, Mr. Cookie thinks I'm a loon too. My family loves rice pudding--the mister, mom, aunt, uncle, etc. I'm having the family over for dinner this weekend, and thought a rice pudding would go over well. (My mom is in from out of town and I know it will make her happy. I have no issues making something I will not eat myself; I want them all to be happy.)

So, since I cannot stand it, I've never made it. A good recipe? What kind of rice? Tips? Do you serve it stand alone, or with something?

The rest of the dinner, just in case it helps, is smoked spare ribs, sauteed spinach, fried green tomatoes (pulled the garden out finally), and cornbread.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

I made broccoli soup according to the recipe Gordon Ramsay did in like that DVD special, it turned out with broccoli bits in it when it was supposed to be velvety smooth. I made it out of one whole head instead of the three - four he used. I think though that I used too much water, but thats not the question I have. (I didn't use the walnuts or goat cheese either)

I tried being clever and put the cheddar cheese I used on the bottom of the bowl, and tried to mix it in that way, but it didn't seem to combine that well, should I have blended it in with the soup? If not, besides making a cheese sauce, how would I combine it in?
(this is the recipe: Gordon Ramsay Makes Broccoli Soup)

My first instinct is to say that if your soup ends up with bits in it and it's supposed to be velvety smooth, you need to blend it longer. If you think you used too much water and still didn't come out with a smooth soup, you definitely didn't blend long enough--water helps smooth things out super fast. Blend for minutes. Editing makes it look like it takes WAY less time than it takes.

Also, cheddar cheese is fairly firm and is not going to melt in the same way that goat cheese is going to. Goat cheese is a super-soft cheese and will do the dissolve / thicken / enrich thing in a hot soup that he's talking about. Cheddar is too firm for that. Even if you added it into the blender, it'd come out a grainy mess. It's just too firm without making a roux or some other emulsification to encourage it to marry with the water.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 6, 2013

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Nicol Bolas posted:

My first instinct is to say that if your soup ends up with bits in it and it's supposed to be velvety smooth, you need to blend it longer. If you think you used too much water and still didn't come out with a smooth soup, you definitely didn't blend long enough--water helps smooth things out super fast. Blend for minutes. Editing makes it look like it takes WAY less time than it takes.

Also, cheddar cheese is fairly firm and is not going to melt in the same way that goat cheese is going to. Goat cheese is a super-soft cheese and will do the dissolve / thicken / enrich thing in a hot soup that he's talking about. Cheddar is too firm for that. Even if you added it into the blender, it'd come out a grainy mess. It's just too firm without making a roux or some other emulsification to encourage it to marry with the water.

Well thanks, goat cheese around here is exorbitantly expensive and this area and I can't raise goats myself, is there a good cow alternative (besides the obvious cream cheese)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Well thanks, goat cheese around here is exorbitantly expensive and this area and I can't raise goats myself, is there a good cow alternative (besides the obvious cream cheese)

I know it's been kind of my ongoing thing today it seems but: Make it! Chevre is actually one of the easiest cheeses to make and is super awesome. You can make it with cow milk if you want, too (bovre). Find unhomogenized if you can, raw if at all possible, but there are ways to doctor pasteurized and homogenized milk to curd better. You can make ricotta/salata with the whey, too. yay cheesemaking!

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

I know it's been kind of my ongoing thing today it seems but: Make it! Chevre is actually one of the easiest cheeses to make and is super awesome. You can make it with cow milk if you want, too (bovre). Find unhomogenized if you can, raw if at all possible, but there are ways to doctor pasteurized and homogenized milk to curd better. You can make ricotta/salata with the whey, too. yay cheesemaking!

I want to get into cheese making so I might do that.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

How does the flavor/texture/essence of a bovre (hooray learning new things!) compare to your garden-variety chevre?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Everyone else has said making it is a good option, and I agree, but if you want the lower-effort version that doesn't require goat milk, you could always just make a cheese sauce? It won't contribute any texture to the soup, which is a downside and might mean you want to add more of those walnuts, but it's super easy and you can probably make it with what you've got on hand right now. Just make a tiny bit of your standard butter-and-flour roux, let it toast slightly, add scalded milk and allow to thicken, then add your cheese and heat until thickened and the cheese is melted. Put a dollop of that on your soup before serving and swirl it throughout as you eat.

Another potentially cheaper option could be just throwing a slice or some crumbled blue cheese on there, or a nice runny brie, or any other soft and flavorful cheese. But if goat cheese is expensive where you live, I fear those others might be super expensive as well.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Nicol Bolas posted:

Everyone else has said making it is a good option, and I agree, but if you want the lower-effort version that doesn't require goat milk, you could always just make a cheese sauce? It won't contribute any texture to the soup, which is a downside and might mean you want to add more of those walnuts, but it's super easy and you can probably make it with what you've got on hand right now. Just make a tiny bit of your standard butter-and-flour roux, let it toast slightly, add scalded milk and allow to thicken, then add your cheese and heat until thickened and the cheese is melted. Put a dollop of that on your soup before serving and swirl it throughout as you eat.

Another potentially cheaper option could be just throwing a slice or some crumbled blue cheese on there, or a nice runny brie, or any other soft and flavorful cheese. But if goat cheese is expensive where you live, I fear those others might be super expensive as well.

Surprisingly I just found some brie that was cheaper than the goat cheese, still a bit more expensive than my normal cheese purchases but it definitely wasn't that bad. (Mostly because where I live, most people aren't really foodies and think of cheese only as cows milk, or if they are vegan, soy.)

Edit: I will add that even though it didn't totally combine in it, I love broccoli and cheddar and this tasted just as good.

Senior Scarybagels fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 6, 2013

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I got some cod and I've a hankering to cook it in some coconut milk. Anyone with a good recipe?

Edit: or any particularly great cod recipes while you're at it.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Make a light coconut based curry with turmeric, garlic, curry powder, tamarind water, spring onion, ginger and maybe some shrimp paste and poach the cod in that. Just take it from there, really, and season it as you like.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I've got a recipe for ribs that asks for tamarind paste and pomegranate molasses, both of which I'm entirely unfamiliar with. Does anybody have any tips for what to buy and where to buy it.
e: and also I've got some sumac what should I do with it?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I've got a recipe for ribs that asks for tamarind paste and pomegranate molasses, both of which I'm entirely unfamiliar with. Does anybody have any tips for what to buy and where to buy it.
e: and also I've got some sumac what should I do with it?
Tamarind paste you can get at Indian stores. Pomegranate molasses you can get at Middle Eastern places.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What's a good and pleasant looking website/iPhone app that tells me which veggies are in season?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's a good and pleasant looking website/iPhone app that tells me which veggies are in season?

In general hard squash, root vegetables, lettuces, and leafy greens will be grown in the winter (depending on area of course, winter in Los Angeles is very different from winter in Milwaukee), citrus will be at peak maturity. Peas, radishes, lettuces, asparagus, leafy greens, young onions will last into the spring. New potatoes, beets, collards, mustard greens, tender herbs, tomatoes, peppers, summer squashes, anything fruiting really, artichokes, corn, and eggplants in the summer. Apples, brussels sprouts, middling squash like delicata, sunchokes, garlic, onions in the fall

Here's a good list for my region, it will probably be different for yours:
http://www.inlandempirecsa.com/what-we-grow/

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 7, 2013

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Sjurygg posted:

Make a light coconut based curry with turmeric, garlic, curry powder, tamarind water, spring onion, ginger and maybe some shrimp paste and poach the cod in that. Just take it from there, really, and season it as you like.

Ooh yeah that sounds real good.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Boris Galerkin posted:

Google image search

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I run a produce department, and an app called 'specialty produce' has saved my rear end more than a few times. It has just about every fruit and vegetable and includes when they're in season, what they taste like and has a few basic recipes and preparations.

I don't think you can sort by what is in season at any given time, but it is super helpful when the warehouse pushes out something esoteric like kohlrabi or cherimoya. Maybe it'll help you?

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
I'm about to roll out some pie crust and make hand pies, and I just realized that, since I'm making this up as I go along, I'm not sure how long I should bake these for. Based on size and various other recipes on the Internet, I'm thinking poke a few holes in the top, no egg wash necessary (?), like 20 minutes at 375F? I'm making discs about 7in in diameter, and the filling has enough potato in it that it shouldn't be super watery. Nothing but the crust actually needs to be cooked. I really want them to stick together enough that you can pick them up with your hands to eat them, especially since I'm driving them for 45 minutes to get to where they'll be served.

Ingredients are:
diced pork tenderloin
slightly-dried diced onion
mashed potatoes with jalapeno and buttermilk
shredded bacon (previously fried/drained)
grated cheese

Edit to add: I'm doing this on parchment, since that stuff is some kind of oven miracle. I don't understand how stuff that sticks to aluminum can fail to stick to paper, but there it is.

Edit part II: the editing: I ended up doing 400F for 28 minutes and getting pretty good results. They're definitely strong enough to pick up, although in my zeal to make them strong I may have overworked the dough a bit and made them TOO strong. Ah, well. Experience and all that.

ejstheman fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 8, 2013

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I have a question regarding sanitation (I only cook for myself, by the way).

When you use tongs to place raw meat on a cooking surface and then use it to flip the meat, are you contaminating the seared side with the tongs? Even if you used something else to put the raw meat on the cooking surface and then flipped with tongs, wouldn't you be getting one tong contaminated by the uncooked side of the meat?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Technically yes, but unless it's chicken it's unlikely your meat has any contamination anyway. And even chicken is probably fine. Also if it's still cooking for a while any reintroduced bacteria will get killed off again. If you're concerned just wash your tongs after you've put on the raw meat or use two sets.

Here at Korean barbecue joints people stack raw meat on top of cooked and use the same tongs for everything all the time and nobody seems to die from it. Ideas like cross-contamination don't exist. Not to encourage you to stop using good sanitation practices but I wouldn't waste a lot of energy worrying about little things.

I personally don't wash my tongs during cooking and have never gotten sick from anything I cooked.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Grand Fromage posted:

Technically yes, but unless it's chicken it's unlikely your meat has any contamination anyway. And even chicken is probably fine. Also if it's still cooking for a while any reintroduced bacteria will get killed off again. If you're concerned just wash your tongs after you've put on the raw meat or use two sets.

Here at Korean barbecue joints people stack raw meat on top of cooked and use the same tongs for everything all the time and nobody seems to die from it. Ideas like cross-contamination don't exist. Not to encourage you to stop using good sanitation practices but I wouldn't waste a lot of energy worrying about little things.

I personally don't wash my tongs during cooking and have never gotten sick from anything I cooked.

I always just stuck the tongs into the fire or the hottest part of the grill for a few seconds.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

dalstrs posted:

I always just stuck the tongs into the fire or the hottest part of the grill for a few seconds.

Sounds like a good plan if you're grilling.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Grand Fromage posted:

Sounds like a good plan if you're grilling.

If they're metal you could do it on the stove as well (unless you have induction I guess)

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

So I go to the store for a pound of ground beef and I come out with 3 lbs of beef; pierogies, sour cream, and a 12 lb center cut pork loin.

The me at home now holding this 12lb phallic monster meat now is saying: what the hell do I make with this now?
(No smoker)

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Duxwig posted:

So I go to the store for a pound of ground beef and I come out with 3 lbs of beef; pierogies, sour cream, and a 12 lb center cut pork loin.

The me at home now holding this 12lb phallic monster meat now is saying: what the hell do I make with this now?
(No smoker)

Make a cheap smoker, you could probably make fine porkchops from those, slice the meat up and make stir fry?

Grue Bouncer
Nov 19, 2002

don't fuck you me, you

Duxwig posted:

(No smoker)

Ah yes... tempted by the glorious monstrous primal cut, but then not knowing what to do with it. A common quandary for many a man (and, I'm sure, a number of women, but men are more easily tempted by ridiculously large pieces of meat, in general, I find.)

Center cut pork loin is a good quick-cooking cut. You can cut it up into disks for chops, cut it into larger pieces for roasts, pound out chops into thin pieces to bread or pan fry as something like saltimboca. You could use pieces of this pork to replace any non-slow cooked dish with beef or chicken, for something a little different. I'd love to do a pork, ziti, broccoli alfredo, or maybe pork tips and mashed.

For something simple, cut a big hunk of it, rub it down with salt and pepper, and throw it, along with some root veg, potatoes, or whatever other kind of hearty veg you like, tossed in oil, salt and pepper, and roast it at 450 for about half an hour, then reduce to 350 and cook until you reach an internal temperature of 145. If the veg finish first, take them out.

For a classic italian dish, saltimboca, cut a chop off, pound it out, and with a toothpick, stick a piece of prosciutto and a leave of sage on it (look it up online to see how it should go together) and give it a quick pan-fry.

Whatever you do, do not try to slow cook this cut. There's not enough collagen in the muscle fiber, and it will turn into a dried out piece of poo poo.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Grue Bouncer posted:

but men are more easily tempted by ridiculously large pieces of meat, in general, I find.

My experience with your mother suggests otherwise.

Grue Bouncer
Nov 19, 2002

don't fuck you me, you

fatherdog posted:

Sick burn.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

fatherdog posted:

:ramsay:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Sub for file powder in gumbo?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Sub for file powder in gumbo?

more roux or okra

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
I just bought a new cast-iron dutch oven and am planning on making a beef stew in it this weekend. It's non-enamelized so are there any ingredients I should be avoiding. I'm fairly certain I've read to avoid high acid foods like tomatoes with cast iron, is this true? Does it apply to all tomatoes or is it just fresh, canned, etc. What about adding a dollop of tomato paste to my stew, will that damage it?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

spregalia posted:

I just bought a new cast-iron dutch oven and am planning on making a beef stew in it this weekend. It's non-enamelized so are there any ingredients I should be avoiding. I'm fairly certain I've read to avoid high acid foods like tomatoes with cast iron, is this true? Does it apply to all tomatoes or is it just fresh, canned, etc. What about adding a dollop of tomato paste to my stew, will that damage it?
Assuming its well seasoned don't worry about it. I deglaze with wine, cook with tomatoes, and all that kind of thing in cast iron all the time. If the seasoning is already jacked up you're not going to be doing it any favours, but you're not going to strip it to bare metal by throwing a couple tbps of tomato paste into a stew.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I have a tiny coq.

Well really it's a game hen, which were super cheap at the shop so I bought one. I don't eat a whole lot of meat in general so I'm looking for ideas on preparation. I have lots of tools. Right now I'm thinking about trying to braise it because I've never done that to a meat, white wine and thyme and garlic. I don't drink a lot of wine so a tip here would also be much appreciated! Cheers.

Chard fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 9, 2013

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
I want to decorate some cookies with icing - I want it to set, but I also want it to hold the texture of the piping tips I'm using. If I make a thicker than usual royal icing will that work?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Chard posted:

I have a tiny coq.

Well really it's a game hen, which were super cheap at the shop so I bought one. I don't eat a whole lot of meat in general so I'm looking for ideas on preparation. I have lots of tools. Right now I'm thinking about trying to braise it because I've never done that to a meat, white wine and thyme and garlic. I don't drink a lot of wine so a tip here would also be much appreciated! Cheers.

I would spatchcock it then brine/marinate it in something (maybe a cuban mojo, maybe just a basic brine and then finish with chimichurri), then grill it or broil it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I just made an extra batch of eggnog and have a dozen egg whites laying around. I already made an egg white frittata with the last batch, anyone have any other suggestions?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Drink cocktails? Make a white lady or a white spider

http://www.saveur.com/article/Wine-and-Drink/White-Spider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Stringent posted:

I just made an extra batch of eggnog and have a dozen egg whites laying around. I already made an egg white frittata with the last batch, anyone have any other suggestions?

Macarons with buttercream filling