Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

ChibiSoma posted:

So I was fighting Bane, he checked me into the wall... annnd Bats promptly slipped through it, fell through the world, fell through the ocean, down down into the nothingness.

"Direction+AA to dodge!" And if double-tapping A registered more than 'when it feels like,' maybe this fight wouldn't be such a pain in the rear end. It happens constantly during grappling, too. Sometimes it'll reel you in fast, sometimes it'll just decide not to. Doesn't matter how far you are. If it doesn't want to register the double-tap, it won't. So many deaths down to the loving dodge either not registering or dodging in the direction opposite the way I'm holding.

Fights in this game just aren't balanced at all. They're either a frustrating slog (Deathstroke, Bane) or pitifully easy (Copperhead). There's no middle ground.

E: Maybe if there weren't minions Gumby-sliding halfway across the map to make sure my B->X beatdown wasn't interrupted, I could get something done here!

E: Oh god this is worse than loving Deathstroke. You cannot dodge every single charge. It is literally impossible. He recovers faster than you, you can't do the dodge-flip over him, so it's not a matter of waiting for the right moment. And even if you did that, the game likes to send you sailing in directions you weren't loving holding during fights, so it probably wouldn't work anyway! Yes, game, I was to sail across a giant arena to punch the guy getting up instead of Bane, who is a foot in front of me. Thanks!

Jesus dude are you just mashing your fat greasy hands against the controller and hoping for the best or what??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Whereabouts should the save be in my directory if I want to back it up?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ChibiSoma posted:

E: Oh god this is worse than loving Deathstroke. You cannot dodge every single charge. It is literally impossible.

Don't jump as soon as he starts charging, you're giving him too much time to spot where you've gone and change direction. Wait till he's almost on you and THEN dodge, and be mindful of avoiding letting him hem you into a corner. Once the thugs join in, you can take advantage of the dodge-flip's invincibility frames (jump over the thugs) to clear his charge earlier than you would when it's just the two of you.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I finally got AA and it's a lot of fun, even if I'm horrible at the free flow combat. I end almost every fight with a tiny bit of health and rarely get over a 7 hit combo. Guess I should be doing the challenge maps for some practice.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
welp, finished it without any bugs whatsoever (outside of animations).

That end half hour was a total loving slog though, and completely unfun.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Jesus dude are you just mashing your fat greasy hands against the controller and hoping for the best or what??

I've been baffled at the Deathstroke complaints. I did it on hard and finished it on my first try. It's a cool-looking fight but it's just a bunch of countering.

While I agree that the combat timing has changed slightly between AC and AO, it's not a huge adjustment to just play the AO way. Just don't keep trying to maintain your AC timings and play AO the way it wants to be played.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

bonds0097 posted:

I've been baffled at the Deathstroke complaints. I did it on hard and finished it on my first try. It's a cool-looking fight but it's just a bunch of countering.

While I agree that the combat timing has changed slightly between AC and AO, it's not a huge adjustment to just play the AO way. Just don't keep trying to maintain your AC timings and play AO the way it wants to be played.
I wonder if the people complaining about Deathstroke have hints turned off, as that also turns off the counter indicator, which would make the Deathstroke fight much more difficult.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Orgophlax posted:

I wonder if the people complaining about Deathstroke have hints turned off, as that also turns off the counter indicator, which would make the Deathstroke fight much more difficult.
Oh really? I thought it was like AC and they were supposed to have counter indicators on because of QTEs and all that and NG+ moving forward removed them because you were expected to know when to QTE (occasionally with a hint I guess). Did not know you could turn it off from the menu right away.

Speaking of Deathstroke, I'm surprised the playable version of him is unique. Wasn't there a lot of hubbub about him being a reskinned AC Robin? I played Deathstroke for a while and he is muuuuuuuuuuuuch faster than AC Robin (who I thought was the slowest of all the fighters) and doesn't actually seem to have the same move set other than having the staff. Except Robin was slow as gently caress.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

My copy of AO, on PC, has several of the problems RadicalSoma has encountered. Delaying a dodge on Bane's charge until he's almost on you doesn't seem to help, because he'll turn on a dime to make the charge connect, as if the game had predetermined that you are going to be hit. Deathstroke also has an animation that intermittently triggers for me with no available counter, meaning it's a guaranteed hit. As mentioned earlier, it looks like there's a bug on some folks' PC copies that either is screwing up priorities in the combat calculation, or somehow a DRM flag that's supposed to make combat unplayable is activated.

eliotlucas
Aug 6, 2006

I hope some modding genius out there (Gibbed?) can mod the multiplayer skins for Batman over to single player. I want to play as Dark Knight Returns or First Appearance Batman!

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

My copy of AO, on PC, has several of the problems RadicalSoma has encountered. Delaying a dodge on Bane's charge until he's almost on you doesn't seem to help, because he'll turn on a dime to make the charge connect, as if the game had predetermined that you are going to be hit. Deathstroke also has an animation that intermittently triggers for me with no available counter, meaning it's a guaranteed hit. As mentioned earlier, it looks like there's a bug on some folks' PC copies that either is screwing up priorities in the combat calculation, or somehow a DRM flag that's supposed to make combat unplayable is activated.
I have a feeling a lot of the issue is people trying to use normal combat timing, which shows the counter icon from the very beginning of someone's attack. But you have to wait for the actual counter icon to appear with Deathstroke. A number of Deathstroke's counters appear pretty late, especially for the zoomed in close encounter bits. Like his first little jump he does in that cycle doesn't show a counter animation until he starts coming down. PLUS is slows down, so it fucks with the timing a bit. If you hit counter anytime before the icon appears, the counter is blown, and you'll get hit.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

eliotlucas posted:

I hope some modding genius out there (Gibbed?) can mod the multiplayer skins for Batman over to single player. I want to play as Dark Knight Returns or First Appearance Batman!

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/General-Discussion/Batman-Arkham-Origins-Modded-Skins-Update-Nov-8/m-p/17967#U17967

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Not quite the same thing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

THE CHORSE posted:

So I was just starting New Game+ and took a look at the visitor sign-in sheet in Blackgate:

Somebody's been busy...

More hints that Crane will be the main villain of the next game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Literally every game has had hints that Crane will be the main villain of the next game.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Crappy Jack posted:

Literally every game has had hints that Crane will be the main villain of the next game.

Well, Asylum implied it would be Croc, Crane or Bane. Turned out the plot-thread went to Bane in City.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Orgophlax posted:

I have a feeling a lot of the issue is people trying to use normal combat timing, which shows the counter icon from the very beginning of someone's attack. But you have to wait for the actual counter icon to appear with Deathstroke. A number of Deathstroke's counters appear pretty late, especially for the zoomed in close encounter bits. Like his first little jump he does in that cycle doesn't show a counter animation until he starts coming down. PLUS is slows down, so it fucks with the timing a bit. If you hit counter anytime before the icon appears, the counter is blown, and you'll get hit.

That may well be the case for me with Deathstroke- I won't pretend I'm great at being patient with that fight. At the same time, it doesn't excuse all the other problems I and others have had with combat, most of which look like some sort of position prediction problem.

By the way, the hallway immediately before Bane's I-know-who-you-are room has newspapers on the floor referring to the identity thief. Reused assets(of which there are an inexplicable ton), or easter egg? You decide.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Crappy Jack posted:

City was the most explicit what with the hidden messages and area and the dead scarecrow thugs.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Sober posted:

Oh really? I thought it was like AC and they were supposed to have counter indicators on because of QTEs and all that and NG+ moving forward removed them because you were expected to know when to QTE (occasionally with a hint I guess). Did not know you could turn it off from the menu right away.

Speaking of Deathstroke, I'm surprised the playable version of him is unique. Wasn't there a lot of hubbub about him being a reskinned AC Robin? I played Deathstroke for a while and he is muuuuuuuuuuuuch faster than AC Robin (who I thought was the slowest of all the fighters) and doesn't actually seem to have the same move set other than having the staff. Except Robin was slow as gently caress.

I keep hearing people say robin is slow and I can't disagree more. In fact I'd say he was the fastest of all the AC characters and my favorite to play as because of it. I live playing as Deathstroke because he's a stronger Robin with Disarm and destroy.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Turns out the final cutscene from City was all an illusion from Scarecrow drugs and Joker is the main villain again.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

JT Smiley posted:

I keep hearing people say robin is slow and I can't disagree more. In fact I'd say he was the fastest of all the AC characters and my favorite to play as because of it.
I think Catwoman is faster in most respects (that beatdown animation :allears:), but yeah, I didn't find Robin to be particularly slow. The most ponderous character was Batman himself by far, although he made up for it by having Disarm & Destroy.

When I played Harley's Revenge after getting that free GOTY upgrade (thanks, WB or whoever!), having not touched AC in quite some time, I embarrassed myself several times by trying to D&D shield/baton thugs as Robin. :sweatdrop:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I have never done a disarm and destroy (or most of the combos, actually), and while playing the challenges as Robin I started to use them more, but I couldn't figure out why I couldn't disable the loving shields.

I desperately need Origins, I've finished every side quest, finished nearly all the Riddler Challenges in the city, got 65 medals in the challenge mode with Robin (20-something with Nightwing, and 0 with Batman and Catwoman), held back from 78 for the achievement by the extreme predator maps kicking my rear end. I don't even try to play to 100% everything but if I keep going I think I just might.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ChickenHeart posted:

Actually managed to win a game as Robin with a fellow goon; turns out the key is to play on the Carnival level and always keep the thug teams spread out and focused on each other.

Also scramble points at every opportunity to buy you enough time to Zip-kick the poo poo out of lone goons like it ain't no thang.

Carnival level is awesome. Got so many inverted takedowns Alfred was screaming at me to just do anything else. But people kept running to that ammo spot right under one of the gargoyles.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing hurts more than seeing what could have been. There are moments where it's clear a couple people working on Origins were inventive, creative and competent. Check out the character trophy for Enigma, more precisely the bundle of keys on his belt. One of them is a proto-riddler staff.

Another hidden extra: immediately after the joker reveal, during/after the predator room in the bank, you can activate detective mode near the bank manager and determine her cause of death, identifying joker toxin. Batman even has some lines about how, if he'd known, he could've saved her. Something was probably cut/added at that point so that the whole detective scene became an easter egg instead of mandatory.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 9, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Noticed this time around that they at least tried to provide an explanation as to why the GCPD is deserted if you go back - they found the bombs that Black Mask but really Joker had set up under there. Doesn't explain why those poor bastards are still patrolling the roof, but hey I appreciate the gesture v:shobon:v

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

catlord posted:

I desperately need Origins
There are many of us who felt this way, I'm sure. :(

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Robin was definitely slower than Catwoman, and I think Nightwing too. But he's still miles ahead of Batman. It's funny; you wouldn't think Bats is that slow until you do some of the harder challenge maps. It turns out that he is a glacier in comparison to the rest.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

catlord posted:

I have never done a disarm and destroy (or most of the combos, actually), and while playing the challenges as Robin I started to use them more, but I couldn't figure out why I couldn't disable the loving shields.

I desperately need Origins, I've finished every side quest, finished nearly all the Riddler Challenges in the city, got 65 medals in the challenge mode with Robin (20-something with Nightwing, and 0 with Batman and Catwoman), held back from 78 for the achievement by the extreme predator maps kicking my rear end. I don't even try to play to 100% everything but if I keep going I think I just might.

This is basically me, and I'm looking forward to heading back into AA and AC with the new Steam-only achievements and GOTY editions so I can do it all again. I'm clearing up Origins now with all the datapacks and sidequesty stuff and while it's definitely the weakest of the three games, it still manages to be something I can head back to again and again and not worry about it too much.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

RyokoTK posted:

Robin was definitely slower than Catwoman, and I think Nightwing too. But he's still miles ahead of Batman. It's funny; you wouldn't think Bats is that slow until you do some of the harder challenge maps. It turns out that he is a glacier in comparison to the rest.
If we are going by speed, my metric is probably beatdown speed. AC Robin definitely takes forever to finish a beatdown. It's Catwoman > Nightwing > Batman > Robin. Robin doing a beatdown usually involved having to counter the entire group, although I won't lie Batman usually involves at least 3 series of counters when you are doing a full beatdown on an armoured thug without thinning out the group. He also happens to be more or less at the same speed as Batman possibly for frame length during an attack, though maybe longer somehow because of the staff (but Deathstroke doesn't have this problem). If you are Catwoman or Nightwing you almost never get hit even if you strike when a thug is mid-strike coming for you. For Batman, it's a tossup. For Robin, whelp, expect to fail out of your combo.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Every time I dive into multiplayer I find something new to get mad at:

Whatever you say, game. Clearly that Robin walking around is totally not among the living.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I just picked up the glue gun thing. I LOVED the first Bane and Batman fight then the following sequences afterwards playing as Joker, Red Hood, and Batman. I'm nervous that I'm near the end of the story...am I? :( I don't want this to end so soon. :v:

I still haven't finished Anarky, Firefly, Shiva, Riddler, Mad Hatter, or the (I'm assuming) second Bane fight, if this matters.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Storywise you have four different major playable story sections to through, but you are nearing the cut-off point where you'll be locked into the story and won't be able to do the other side-missions (including the Shiva section) until AFTER you have completed the story. Basically, when you track down the entrance to Bane's hideout, after you go in you're basically locked into completing the story.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Storywise you have four different major playable story sections to through, but you are nearing the cut-off point where you'll be locked into the story and won't be able to do the other side-missions (including the Shiva section) until AFTER you have completed the story. Basically, when you track down the entrance to Bane's hideout, after you go in you're basically locked into completing the story.

Not too bad then!

What's weird is that I randomly ran into Shiva on a rooftop and died in the fight. I haven't seen her since.

I assume she's collected the reward already and I may never see her again. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Not too bad then!

What's weird is that I randomly ran into Shiva on a rooftop and died in the fight. I haven't seen her since.

I assume she's collected the reward already and I may never see her again. :v:

That wasn't Shiva. It was a generic ninja enemy.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

That wasn't Shiva. It was a generic ninja enemy.

It didn't look like one, not that I remember? I think even the losing clip was different too. It was really odd.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

It didn't look like one, not that I remember? I think even the losing clip was different too. It was really odd.

Shiva's sidequest is a very specific one, you can't trigger it by accident and don't get to fight her before her actual boss fight. The Ninjas are all tied to her and there are several 'surprise ambushes' from them which occur on rooftops or during mook raids. The losing clip was probably her but (I guess barring a crazy glitch) you shouldn't be randomly fighting her on rooftops.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Shiva's sidequest is a very specific one, you can't trigger it by accident and don't get to fight her before her actual boss fight. The Ninjas are all tied to her and there are several 'surprise ambushes' from them which occur on rooftops or during mook raids. The losing clip was probably her but (I guess barring a crazy glitch) you shouldn't be randomly fighting her on rooftops.

Huh. It might've been a glitch then because it was really out of no where.

It might've been the ninjas with a combination of her losing clip for some reason.

Speaking of bugs, most of the ones I've had are where things seem to have to catch up to me in terms of loading. It's weird and kind of annoying.

Like, before the first Bane fight when you beat his mercenaries in the Predator room, I went past the spot where the hackable box SHOULD'VE been five times trying to find the Pent House entrance but it just wasn't there until it randomly showed up.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Man, the predator rooms are total bunk this go round. They were my favorite part in city, but cities design was elegant and stable. Here, trying to get my first few medals were frustrating camera controls that got hung up on everything, floating and glitched out enemies, and the remote claw had a helluva time sticking to the propane tank. Also the levels don't seem as tight as cities. I've got no momentum left for this game, hopefully Rocksteady's true sequel is a return to form. What a shame, City is in my top five games of all time.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

I haven't had any of the problems with the predator rooms at all. If anything they're a bit too easy now with the remote claw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Somebody mentioned earlier that the city felt dead and uninhabited, which it does, but then I remembered it's supposed to be set on Christmas Eve so I just chalked it up to everyone being inside with their families.

• Locked thread