Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

Is Throne of Blood just not showing up for anyone? Was really hoping I'd be able to get it with this.

The sale only covers Criterions up through the end of the month (including the Zatoichi set).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

friendo55 posted:

It's sure quiet in here with the B&N sale starting today.

I just pre-ordered the Zatoichi box set. Too bad they wouldn't let me use my 20% off coupon on it too. :(

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

RustedChrome posted:

I just pre-ordered the Zatoichi box set. Too bad they wouldn't let me use my 20% off coupon on it too. :(

Will they definitely work on already released movies? I will just hold on to it until the day it comes out and order or head to a store if that's the case.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Asnorban posted:

Will they definitely work on already released movies? I will just hold on to it until the day it comes out and order or head to a store if that's the case.

At the last B&N sale, my email coupon did not work. The clerk at the register forced it through. I didn't see anything in the terms on the coupon to say that it's ineligible, but bn.com rejected it. I seriously doubt my local store will ever stock an expensive set like this so I went ahead and pre-ordered.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I went ahead and picked up the Zatoichi box set, but that's my whole budget for this sale and the next one. Totally worth it, though.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

"The Criterion Collection features more than 150 movies." Uh, quite a bit more.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

"The Criterion Collection features more than 150 movies." Uh, quite a bit more.

Yeah, someone didn't do their research considering they're hitting spine #700 in February.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Egbert Souse posted:

Yeah, someone didn't do their research considering they're hitting spine #700 in February.

And that doesn't even count the movies they have on hulu that aren't proper releases, the eclipse series...

It's probably closer to 8-900, right?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Criterion website lists 339 films that are Hulu-only, which would put them pretty firmly over 1,000.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

They've lost the rights to a lot of the modern Hollywood stuff so it's not really part of the catalog for Sony distribution purposes.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

GonSmithe posted:

Every time I see the prices on The Man Who Fell to Earth blu-ray, I am so happy I bought it (and Frost/Nixon) for like $50 on SA Mart. It became my favorite movie, and it's really cool to say I have.

Not quite as good a score, but I bought the Criterion DVD off of a goon for eight dollars.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

CPL593H posted:

Not quite as good a score, but I bought the Criterion DVD off of a goon for eight dollars.

Did you get the book too? I haven't bothered to upgrade to the blu ray because it didn't come with the book.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Looks like Wal-Mart has some pricing errors and is selling a few Criterion blu-rays for $11.87 each. I don't know if your order will go through, but you can try:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Seven-Samurai-Criterion-Collection-Blu-ray-Widescreen/15715534

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rushmore-Criterion-Collection-With-Poster-Blu-ray-Widescreen/17354545

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Robinson-Crusoe-On-Mars-Criterion-Collection-Blu-ray-Widescreen/15715671

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rosemary-s-Baby-Criterion-Collection-Blu-ray-Widescreen/21641926

http://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Phantom-Carriage-Silent-Criterion-Collection-Blu-ray-Full-Frame/16915564

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Action Jacktion posted:

Looks like Wal-Mart has some pricing errors and is selling a few Criterion blu-rays for $11.87 each. I don't know if your order will go through, but you can try:

Yeah, it's not letting the orders go through. Shame too, Seven Samurai blu-ray for $12 is a steal.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Well, first day of the sale I picked up The Uninvited, Flowers of St. Francis, and Passion of St. Joan of Arc.

I just know I'm going to spend a ton, I want those Early Fassbinder and Downey Sr. sets.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
The sale this summer is the first I'd ever known about, and even though I bought too many, several I wanted (and some I bought) aren't for sale anymore.

That's only making it harder for me not to spend too much again. :argh:

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
Grabbed Frances Ha, Repo Man, and To Be or Not To Be (blind buy, which I'm excited about).

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Well, first day of the sale I picked up The Uninvited, Flowers of St. Francis, and Passion of St. Joan of Arc.

I just know I'm going to spend a ton, I want those Early Fassbinder and Downey Sr. sets.

The Uninvited is definitely one that caught my eye, especially with that lower price. I may pick that one up before the sale is done & a few others including Bergman's Scenes From A Marriage.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

ThetaOmnikron posted:

Grabbed Frances Ha, Repo Man, and To Be or Not To Be (blind buy, which I'm excited about).

I completely forgot they released Frances Ha.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Ordered Frances Ha, World on a Wire, The Earrings of Madame De..., Late Spring, La Notte, The Darjeeling Limited, and Children of Paradise. Only one that isn't a blind buy is Darjeeling.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Just City Lights for my dear sweet moth. Merry christmas, moth. Sorry for loving up the gift receipt.

etherealshaq
Mar 6, 2010

COME DOWN AND EAT CHICKEN WITH ME, BEAUTIFUL. IT'S SOOOOOOOOOO DARK
Was totally broke this summer and had to skip the sale, so this time I'm kind of splurging:

Shoah
Marketa Lazarovna
Ivan's Childhood
Seconds
Two-Lane Blacktop

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Two-Lane Blacktop
Blow Out
The Earrings of Madame De...
Medium Cool
Harakiri
The Magician
Walkabout
House
Mystery Train
Hoop Dreams
Throne of Blood
The Hidden Fortress
The Vanishing

These savings are incredible! :suicide:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I think I'm going to go in for the BBS box set. Any concerns about the blu-ray version of it?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

mod sassinator posted:

I think I'm going to go in for the BBS box set. Any concerns about the blu-ray version of it?

I've got it; it's pretty drat solid. You won't regret the purchase.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm going to plug Lonesome again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tykxAt0UY8Y

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

One of the best blind buys I've ever made.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Aaaaand there's Rules of the Game (why the hell didn't I have it previously?), Richard III (I can't wait for the other two Oliviers to get a new transfer), and the Yojimbo/Sanjuro two-pack.

I love this sale.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

mod sassinator posted:

It does not come with the pharmaceuticals necessary to enjoy Head.

Edit: Properly enjoy. It's still a good movie without them.

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.
Snagged the Yojimbo/Sanjuro pack, Eating Raoul, and Brazil. The Zatoichi set is really tempting, but I can't justify that kind of money on them.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
What's everybody's favorite Criterion that hasn't been released on Blu-ray yet? Mine is Forbidden Games.

EDIT: Sisters is pretty good too!

Hector Beerlioz fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 9, 2013

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Hector Beerlioz posted:

What's everybody's favorite Criterion that hasn't been released on Blu-ray yet? Mine is Forbidden Games.

I'm not sure why Le Samourai hasn't been put on blu-ray yet, but if you like French gangster flicks (who doesn't??) it's a good one.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Le Samourai is great. My favorite Melville. I always liked how John Woo considered it one of his greatest influences since their styles are so different.

katatonic
Mar 14, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Ikiru or The Passion of Joan of Arc. Every month I look for them to show up on their list of upgrades, but they never come. :(

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Ikiru is incredible. I wrote my thesis on that movie.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

katatonic posted:

Ikiru or The Passion of Joan of Arc. Every month I look for them to show up on their list of upgrades, but they never come. :(

I would love a Joan of Arc Criterion BR, but the rights have been sold to another company which has released a BR release of our own (though I hear it's great in its own right).

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
A small question for you all: I'm thinking of getting a Bunuel movie during the sale since I don't have any and recently read his autobiography (it rules), but I'm not sure between Viridiana or The Exterminating Angel. If it helps, I enjoyed The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

barkingclam posted:

A small question for you all: I'm thinking of getting a Bunuel movie during the sale since I don't have any and recently read his autobiography (it rules), but I'm not sure between Viridiana or The Exterminating Angel. If it helps, I enjoyed The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.

The Exterminating Angel is the perfect companion piece to Discreet Charm in that it is its opposite. Viridiana is on the less surreal side of his films, but still a good one (I'd choose Belle de Jour over it). The other Bunuels I own are Phantom of Liberty, That Obscure Object of Desire and The Milky Way. I don't own Viridiana but I've seen it on TCM.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Exterminating Angel is an amazing companion to Discreet Charm while, Viridiana, though good, is more of a weird, grim fable about why you shouldn't be nice to people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Not part of the sale, but I recently had a birthday and with my various gift cards, was able to pick up Eyes Without a Face and Island of Lost Souls. Never seen either actually, but I'm a huge horror fan and Criterion treatments of that genre seem like a wonderful gift.

Only have gotten around to Eyes so far and my God, it's gorgeous. The movie itself is a beautiful, disturbing piece of work that was truly deserving of Criterion treatment. Do check it out and be all creeped out and lonely.