Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, my God, they can only become invisible when nobody's looking at them too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Is it me or did that mini-game feature a tier 2 mec with a rocket fist ? I thought these were locked to the tier 1 chassis.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Chexoid posted:

So they released this new interactive choose your own adventure trailer dealie.

http://www.xcom.com/enemywithin/us/ivideo.php

I quite like the normal soldiers rappeling in while the MEC just fuckin airdops out the back.

Lost on the third choice, awesome.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hammerstein posted:

Is it me or did that mini-game feature a tier 2 mec with a rocket fist ? I thought these were locked to the tier 1 chassis.

Apparently Tier 2 and Tier 3 MEC suits retain all the goodies of their predecessors.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Speedball posted:

Assuming we didn't get an XCOM game that got us the weird biological aliens of Apocalypse…who I loved the concept of, by the way...

I'd like an XCOM sequel to take place in some sort of guerrilla setting. The basic premise of stealing tech from aliens would remain, but you're on some sort of planet being run by the creatures and most people are kept ignorant and toothless, and you need to topple the oppressive alien government by having commandos grabbing whatever stuff they can steal to keep your troops keyed up and powerful.

Alternately-alternately, no continuity at all, just another "aliens are invading and we don't know why" premise.

Still, I am vastly intrigued by EW's idea of having to contend with a second human invasion on top of the first. Who knows...

We've had an alien invasion and a Lovecraftian invasion. How about a demonic invasion? An alien base located at the center of the planet, belching out horrific creatures from holes in the Earth. You could have all kinds of caves, caverns, and tunnels replete with alien ecology as battlefields a la the alien bases in X-Com '93.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Hammerstein posted:

Nope. Basically there are three tiers, each with a choice between two items on the suit. Tier 1 is Rocket Punch vs. Flamethrower, and once you've chosen that and upgraded your armor to Tier 2, you still keep the Tier 1 item you chose for that particular armor. So once you've upgraded your armor to Tier 3 you'll have one Tier 3 item, one Tier 2 item and one Tier 1 item. Each load-out is specific to that armor, so if you want to change things up you'll need to build another suit.

This confused me for a while until I watched one of the preview vids (I think it was Total Biscuit?).

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
I'd love to see a sequel that gave the Apocalypse-style megacity setting another try, but this time with factions that are more meaningful, political scheming, etc.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Vengarr posted:

We've had an alien invasion and a Lovecraftian invasion. How about a demonic invasion? An alien base located at the center of the planet, belching out horrific creatures from holes in the Earth. You could have all kinds of caves, caverns, and tunnels replete with alien ecology as battlefields a la the alien bases in X-Com '93.

Can we reverse-engineer their magic and make a 'mage' pseduo-class like psionics?

I feel that the aliens would just throw up their hands and say gently caress it if we came at them hurling fire-ball grenades or creating our own cover with ice.

Alternatively, I'd pay for an x-com version of this, despite how bad it was.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

TalonDemonKing posted:

Can we reverse-engineer their magic and make a 'mage' pseduo-class like psionics?

I feel that the aliens would just throw up their hands and say gently caress it if we came at them hurling fire-ball grenades or creating our own cover with ice.

Alternatively, I'd pay for an x-com version of this, despite how bad it was.

Of course. Call it "Molecular Control" and we're set.

Mostly though, I just have a vision of the Skyranger being replaced by a version of the Montauk from Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun.

Drill, baby, drill!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If there is a sequel that does not use the amazing TFTD scenario I will lose my poo poo. Underwater action = best action.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Torrannor posted:

If there is a sequel that does not use the amazing TFTD scenario I will lose my poo poo. Underwater action = best action.

It'd just need to be less lovely than TFTD was when it came to the darkness. Yes, it's normal for people to see nothing on the bottom of the ocean, but it is terrible in a game.

I'd love some Lobstermen, they'd be like Muton Berserkers with heavy plasma.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is the Temple Ship supposed to be really loving dark or is my (iOS) game messing up? I can't see a god damned thing.

I've rebooted the app, loaded a different save and no matter what the game looks like

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 9, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is the Temple Ship supposed to be really loving dark or is my (iOS) game messing up? I can't see a god damned thing.

I've rebooted the app, loaded a different save and no matter what the game looks like

Nope that's a bug

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

zylche posted:

Nope that's a bug

Well gently caress. I can't load a previous save (Ironman) and nothing seems to fix it so guess I just loving lost before I started.

EDIT: A quick google search shows that it appears to be a bug with the A7 chip on both the iPad Air and the iPhone 5S. Welp.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 9, 2013

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
I just had a decent Ironman run implode when a single sectoid, the last one on the map, murdered 3/4s of my A(read: only)-team and gravely wounded the only survivor.
Stupid game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Poking at the multiplayer again, I've been reminded just how much the Bar Map favors the guys who start right by the ladder to the roof, while the other guy starts IN THE loving MIDDLE OF AN OPEN PARKING LOT! :argh: Ladder guy can climb some guys onto the roof on turn one, parking lot guy can't even reach the outer wall of the bar with a sprint for a lot of units on the first turn.

More bizarrely, some of those Bar matches I had the other guy quit without us seeing eachother (and only Bar matches where I start parking lot), if my desperate rush for inner cover by the end of my second turn doesn't have me walk back outside like an idiot by turn 5 or so for rooftop snipers/roof hovering cyberdisks/etc to shoot down on me. I can't tell if it's a coincidence, or if I was up against people who couldn't be bothered trying to make me impatiently stick my head out to be blown off like an idiot for their Quick Match win.

EDIT: MOTHER FUCKER. I hope, if they fix any loving MP bugs in the expansion, they fix when it steals your second action. Losing track of the times where I move to flank someone well within the blue, but it decides NOPE that's your only action.

Also, seven matches in a row at the bar :wtc:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 9, 2013

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

Chexoid posted:

So they released this new interactive choose your own adventure trailer dealie.

http://www.xcom.com/enemywithin/us/ivideo.php

I quite like the normal soldiers rappeling in while the MEC just fuckin airdops out the back.

Got through it on the first try. Huh. That was pretty cool. This is getting me pretty psyched about the game.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

more friedman units posted:

I'd love to see a sequel that gave the Apocalypse-style megacity setting another try, but this time with factions that are more meaningful, political scheming, etc.
I always thought it'd be pretty sweet to just take Apocalypse and move it to Mars. It'd let Firaxis bypass all the lore that basically turned Earth into the Judge Dredd setting, which I found to be a weird fit, thematically. Mars would also allow them play around with some classic ufo lore: where XCOM let you interact with greys, MIB's and shadowy councils, Marspocalypse lets you gently caress around in Martian pyramids and Cydonia. Heck, with the game's megacorp angle, you could even throw Total Recall into the mix. Give the people air? Yes/No/Maybe

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Well, I wont be having issues with power generation on this run...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Deuce posted:

Well, I wont be having issues with power generation on this run...

Terrible placement of Vents with your Uplink though.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Section Z posted:

Poking at the multiplayer again, I've been reminded just how much the Bar Map favors the guys who start right by the ladder to the roof, while the other guy starts IN THE loving MIDDLE OF AN OPEN PARKING LOT! :argh: Ladder guy can climb some guys onto the roof on turn one, parking lot guy can't even reach the outer wall of the bar with a sprint for a lot of units on the first turn.

Eh, that's not so bad. They typically don't expect you to do more than cautiously go through the parking lot into the inside of the building.

I make a mad dash towards the other ladder to the roof and typically catch them off guard.

Section Z posted:

EDIT: MOTHER FUCKER. I hope, if they fix any loving MP bugs in the expansion, they fix when it steals your second action. Losing track of the times where I move to flank someone well within the blue, but it decides NOPE that's your only action.

Also, seven matches in a row at the bar :wtc:

If you can't move a guy beyond your normal move zone, you'll be hit with a bug. Try switching back and forth with another guy, or going into firing mode and back out a few times to fix it.

As for why Bar's so popular, when you click on quick match, and there's not one available, it makes a new match for you--defaulting to the bar map.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

BenRGamer posted:

Eh, that's not so bad. They typically don't expect you to do more than cautiously go through the parking lot into the inside of the building.

I make a mad dash towards the other ladder to the roof and typically catch them off guard.

If you can't move a guy beyond your normal move zone, you'll be hit with a bug. Try switching back and forth with another guy, or going into firing mode and back out a few times to fix it.

As for why Bar's so popular, when you click on quick match, and there's not one available, it makes a new match for you--defaulting to the bar map.
I'm not getting "I can't move." I'm getting "Normal Move, cancels second action." Or even worse, Try to move somewhere nearby (Oh dear, that grenade blew up my cover, better go to that dumpster 4 tiles away!) and they just start to go into the animation, then don't go anywhere and I lost that unit's turn entirely.

This is usually happening when there is plenty of space to move. like "I'll move to the side of that car that's only half my blue move distance to flank and kill this Sectoid so it can't Spot for the Squadsight". Or "I'll move from out in the open to against the outer wall of the bar with no units within 5 tiles of there". I didn't know it defaulted to the bar map though, learn something new everyday.

In other news, I'm trying to figure out why the ridiculous Gimmick team I've switch to is getting better results than my serious attempts at making (non Squadsight/Mind control) teams though I haven't run into a Cyberdisk user yet with this team.

Five Smokejumpers (just barely better than a rookie with a smoke grenade), armed with nothing but an assault rifle and Chitin Plate (11 HP). With a Muton Elite along for the ride waiting to swoop in like a hero. 5 such soldiers without chitin plate could bring a cyberdisk along, but I haven't tried that yet.

Most of the matches I've won with them, the Muton Elite hasn't fired a single shot or thrown his grenade :psyduck: Though the last won came with plenty :xcom: when all five of them after careful positioning by both ladders, rushed up to the roof at once to take down the remaining squadsight sniper (with my Elite positioned below able to toss his grenade basically anywhere on the roof). Everybody misses :downs:, one of my soldiers gets murdered, then I move them all right next to their face and unload the assault rifle massacre.

Fake Edit: That reminds me. The Status screen on unit loadout is still a goddamned liar when it comes to HP. "These soldiers will have 12 HP with chitin plate!" Everyone has 11 HP. I've yet to test if Floaters are still incapable of opening wooden doors. I lost track of floaters who couldn't enter the back of the bar around launch, and their inability to hop down off 1 tile high train cars without activating flight mode.

I love the MP, even when I'm bad at it. But bugs screwing with me or my enemy just really, really annoys me for some reason. While having to manage my match entirely around "don't let the Squadsight sniper you discovered by a unit being oneshot get another firing angle" is merely boring and I can understand it is a valid tactic.

On that note, I impressed how many players I've run into that turned down my pity offers to skip my turn when buggy turn skippage stole actions from one of their last surviving unit. The ones who bother to respond to my stupid comments are usually pretty classy.

vvv Yeah. A stack of Smokejumpers with Skeleton armor and light plasma is NASTY. I love skeleton armor more for it's move speed boost than it's +10 Defense or grappling hooks (which are incapable of functioning across about 90% of the bar's roof). Not even the Thin Men or Chrysalids are able to surpass the might of awnings.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 9, 2013

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Section Z posted:

I'm not getting "I can't move." I'm getting "Normal Move, cancels second action." Or even worse, Try to move somewhere nearby (Oh dear, that grenade blew up my cover, better go to that dumpster 4 tiles away!) and they just start to go into the animation, then don't go anywhere and I lost that unit's turn entirely.

That's what I mean, if you can't dash, it's that bug.

As for the rest, smokejumpers are very cost efficient. You can field a highly effective team with just five smoke jumpers and the best gear you can get them.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So I just spent the last 2 hours doing the Temple Assault mission. While it was bugged and pitch black. Turns out the layout is predetermined so I loaded up a YouTube video and basically played it as I moved forward to figure out where the gently caress I was.

It was messy. It was terrifying. And making my way to the final room was needlessly complicated. But I did it!

Once I triggered the cutscene I just blitzed the fucker and shot him with everything I had. Classic Ironman complete! This is how you unlock more second wave poo poo? God drat I thought iOS was gimped with only four options!

I think I'm going to do a regular Impossible run at a relaxed (read: liberal use of the save function) to unlock the last few second wave options then have some fun with those while I decide if I want to grab EW on the 360.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So I just spent the last 2 hours doing the Temple Assault mission. While it was bugged and pitch black. Turns out the layout is predetermined so I loaded up a YouTube video and basically played it as I moved forward to figure out where the gently caress I was.

It was messy. It was terrifying. And making my way to the final room was needlessly complicated. But I did it!

Once I triggered the cutscene I just blitzed the fucker and shot him with everything I had. Classic Ironman complete! This is how you unlock more second wave poo poo? God drat I thought iOS was gimped with only four options!

I think I'm going to do a regular Impossible run at a relaxed (read: liberal use of the save function) to unlock the last few second wave options then have some fun with those while I decide if I want to grab EW on the 360.
Congratulations. Now that you have beaten the Temple Ship you could just skip the last mission on your next playthrough, due to the graphics glitch, now that you know how it turns out.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

nnnotime posted:

Congratulations. Now that you have beaten the Temple Ship you could just skip the last mission on your next playthrough, due to the graphics glitch, now that you know how it turns out.
Not if he wants to unlock the Impossible Second Wave options :unsmigghh:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

decide if I want to grab EW on the 360.

You want to grab EW on the PC.

Or 360 if you have to.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Deuce posted:

You want to grab EW on the PC.

Or 360 if you have to.
Yeah try to get it on PC if you can, there's mods available and EW being released will re-ignite that community. You can get involved with people here in multiplayer... which should hopefully have all the bugs fixed. Lots much nicer as well.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Is this being released electronically through download like with psn?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I don't have a PC. Let me rephrase that, all I have is a six year old PC that overheats if I run something like D3 more than 20 minutes :smith:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don't have a PC. Let me rephrase that, all I have is a six year old PC that overheats if I run something like D3 more than 20 minutes :smith:
XCOM isn't as graphically intense as D3, what specs is the machine? Not trying to push you there, just that it could be the better experience for you.

Check out the specs on the steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/200510/

There's bound to be a few cheaper copies of EU floating around from when it was given as a bonus for Bioshock: Infinite. GMG may still have that discount stacking thing as well.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Escapist plays the Whale mission and then starts a new campaign:
http://www.twitch.tv/escapistmagazine/b/477587590

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Escapist plays the Whale mission and then starts a new campaign:
http://www.twitch.tv/escapistmagazine/b/477587590
Two hours? Thanks!

e: This stream is dead to me. Not recognising the Scottish flag.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

zylche posted:

Not if he wants to unlock the Impossible Second Wave options :unsmigghh:
Oh, I forgot about that. I had used someone else's profile.bin to unlock all those.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oooh, that's a nice feature in the stream I see. When you target an enemy, the number of health pips you expect to take off blink.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Moronic gimmick trip report number whatever.

"This 9,800 point Heavy soldier has 20 hitpoints, heavy plasma, and two alien grenades! This will be awesome! I totally killed that guy with suppression :downs:"
Alloy canon assault just walks up and kills me flat out from full health with a single use of rapid fire. :downsgun:

Why can't I stop making terrible gimmick teams that don't involve plasma snipers/alloy cannons/psychic powers/Cyber disk send help. I tried using heavy floaters again but oh god buggy as gently caress pathing/refusal to land/inability to use launch because "You are indoors" while on top of a roof or flying outdoors, and the painful reminder that, even though it doesn't say anywhere in game, successfully using launch ends a floater's turn (still won that match though, Assault Rifle squad pulled through).

Info: "The launch ability can be used effectively for ambush and reconnaissance." Suuuure.

EDIT: Sweet, I started on the ladder side of the bar this time! (opponent has disconnected)

Edit Two: Enemy Psychic Sniper Mind Control against your Sectoid, fails. :xcom: Flanking them from behind with your plasma rifle assault misses the 93% shot, and they cloak away :xcom: Still won, but between being mad at the bugs, I'm just amazed when the hilarity of natural X-Com swings both ways :allears:

It would have been smarter to use mind shield (not that they nailed or even hit at all my Assault), but god drat tanked up commando assaults are amazing. Titan armor and Chitin plates results in 27 goddamned hipoints, while being immune to critical damage.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 10, 2013

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Section Z posted:

Moronic gimmick trip report number whatever.

"This 9,800 point Heavy soldier has 20 hitpoints, heavy plasma, and two alien grenades! This will be awesome! I totally killed that guy with suppression :downs:"
Alloy canon assault just walks up and kills me flat out from full health with a single use of rapid fire. :downsgun:

Why can't I stop making terrible gimmick teams that don't involve plasma snipers/alloy cannons/psychic powers/Cyber disk send help. I tried using heavy floaters again but oh god buggy as gently caress pathing/refusal to land/inability to use launch because "You are indoors" while on top of a roof or flying outdoors, and the painful reminder that, even though it doesn't say anywhere in game, successfully using launch ends a floater's turn (still won that match though, Assault Rifle squad pulled through).

Info: "The launch ability can be used effectively for ambush and reconnaissance." Suuuure.

EDIT: Sweet, I started on the ladder side of the bar this time! (opponent has disconnected)

Eh, my favorite teams never had squad sight or alloy cannons or even psychic powers. Though they were mobile as hell.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

BenRGamer posted:

Eh, my favorite teams never had squad sight or alloy cannons or even psychic powers. Though they were mobile as hell.

Occasionally I'd field a team of small fry and a muton berserker, I'd hide the little guys and leave the berserker out somewhere obvious, the enemy would find him, set up over watch traps then I'd have a sectoid dash into the area and set off all the over watches.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
Is it normal for my first Ironman Classic run to have a hall of fame that is 2 pages long and be down by 3 countries before I even assault the alien base?

I'm pretty drat good at Terror missions apparently. I challenged 2 with just stock armour and ballistics. I didn't lose anybody and rescued over half the civilians. But I suck in Abduction missions where I have to fight Mutons who will destroy me in one shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Occasionally I'd field a team of small fry and a muton berserker, I'd hide the little guys and leave the berserker out somewhere obvious, the enemy would find him, set up over watch traps then I'd have a sectoid dash into the area and set off all the over watches.

The few times I've played, the berserker team with sniper support was my favorite gimmick team, especially on the bar map. Scout out with the sniper, he's not really important, but keep all your angry mans out of sight. The second your opponent steps out into view, you bullrush that poo poo. Of course, if your opponent is a camper, then it becomes a game of who gets bored first.

• Locked thread