Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!
Froakie the cutest lil bugger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Welp, my Eugenics program has hit wall. I've got 2 4 IV Shuckles, One HP/SpA/SpD/Speed and one Att/Def/SpA/SpD. I've bred them with Ditto's that had the missing IV's and I've went through 5 boxes and gotten nothing with the 3 I want. My luck is garbage.

Except it's easier than ever now so it's less bullshit?

Try the Time Machine Method.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Lizard Wizard posted:

I think it's just safe to say that IVs are complicated and maybe kind of bullshit at this point.

If you still think IVs are complicated after this gen then I don't know what to tell you. They were not ever really that complicated, just time consuming because you didn't really have a reliable way to pass them down. Now with the Destiny Knot its so easy.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

why oh WHY posted:

If you still think IVs are complicated after this gen then I don't know what to tell you. They were not ever really that complicated, just time consuming because you didn't really have a reliable way to pass them down. Now with the Destiny Knot its so easy.

It's probably more arcane than it needs to be.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Speaking of PokeMiles, why do they keep resetting? I used to have 1300+, and now a week later having not spent any, I have 8.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Meat Recital posted:

Speaking of PokeMiles, why do they keep resetting? I used to have 1300+, and now a week later having not spent any, I have 8.

When you do Game Sync they get sent to the Global Link site for you to buy stuff there instead.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Meat Recital posted:

Do you have the send pokemiles option enabled in game sync? It sends them to the Global Link site if you do that and the game shows you as having 0.

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

Oh yeah speed is especially important to have max. Unlike other stats, speed is binary.

Well, in lots of high level competitive stuff, tons of stats can be binary. Maybe your Pokemon needs JUST enough HP and defense to survive a Blaziken Hi Jump Kick, and JUST enough attack to 1HKO back. Maybe a mix of Fire Fighting STAB is the major weakness of your team, so this lets your team win with their other Pokemon.

Will these binary situations, where one more turn makes your strategy not viable, occur at the IV level? Eh, probably not, you probably are just gonna have to allocate some more EVs from some other stat to wherever you need to win in a specific spot. But still. :)

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
I think Gourgeist is my favorite of the new pokemon. The size gimmick is interesting and fun. I've been breeding Super Large Pumpkaboos with near perfect 4/6 (unfortunately not in HP). I'm resisting the urge to start shiny breeding- though purple is such a good color!

I'm working on an online battling team. Is there a reason to have all your support/utility on one pokemon? I see alot of builds suggesting Vaporeon have wish/baton pass/heal bell/attack. However, I felt that's a really bad idea because a] eggs in one basket b]since most online battles you can only choose 3, you might need to use a better option.

Currently I have
Hydration Vaporeon @leftovers with wish/haze/ice beam/scald.

Magic Guard Clefable @life orb with Moonblast/Flamethrower/Aromatherapy/Encore. I want to replace Encore with another attack for coverage, but I'm left with no other way of screwing over set up.

Flygon earthquake/rockslide/uturn/crunch

Dryskin Heliolisk @damp rock Surf/raindance/thunder/thunderwave

Frisk Gourgeist @big root Leechseed/Will o wisp/ Sub(or protect/ phantom force. I might skip the protect/sub and add another attack instead, using fantom force as protect

6th slot- no clue. Thinking a subpunch Toxicroak, Hustle Durant, Speedboost Scolipede, Eviolite Scyther/mega Scizor.

what do you guys think? I feel like I need Scyther for the flying attacks. But Toxicroak has better synergy with my half rainteam.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Okay, looking back at the video for that Grass Knot Maison battle, I forgot that I had used Fake Out before my Scrafty died, so my Grass Knot was less powerful than I thought. My bad. Also I didn't realize Mantine was Water/Flying, not just Water, so I should have just used Psyshock for the STAB. :(

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 10, 2013

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Good lord, I keep forgetting how much I hate route 13 in Kalos.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Hey, would it be possible to get a Ditto Friend Safari goon to friend one of my roommates? His friend code is 3609-1695-6210 if anyone would be so kind.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Good lord, I keep forgetting how much I hate route 13 in Kalos.

I was going to say Route 13 from Kanto was worse, but then I remembered Farfetch'd.

I just realized I don't have the Lucky Egg, where do I get it?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Unbound posted:

I was going to say Route 13 from Kanto was worse, but then I remembered Farfetch'd.

The Kalos one is the shittiest one because of how the encounters work, combined with the periodic sandstorm.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

BearDrivingTruck posted:

The Kalos one is the shittiest one because of how the encounters work, combined with the periodic sandstorm.

I actually like the sandstorms, they are inconvenient, but added to the atmosphere. I just didn't like Route 13 in Kanto, probably due to the arbitrary 'maze' of fences. Why are they there?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Unbound posted:

One of the hotels. Coumarine I think? In the lobby, you need a pokemon with max happiness as well IIRC.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Unbound posted:

I actually like the sandstorms, they are inconvenient, but added to the atmosphere. I just didn't like Route 13 in Kanto, probably due to the arbitrary 'maze' of fences. Why are they there?

An eternal mystery.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Unbound posted:

Well, when I'm trying to build up speed with the rollerskates in order to grind rails, and I can barely move because the wind is blowing to the right when I want to head left, and the burrowing pokemon sometimes hit me twice in a row without any breaks, it makes me want to break something.

Although the wind finally subsided, so I got what I wanted.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Well, when I'm trying to build up speed with the rollerskates in order to grind rails, and I can barely move because the wind is blowing to the right when I want to head left, and the burrowing pokemon sometimes hit me twice in a row without any breaks, it makes me want to break something.

Although the wind finally subsided, so I got what I wanted.
I can understand that. I got pretty lucky and had no sandstorms there when I went for the items. There isn't really any pokemon there I want because the pokebank comes out in a month.

Strange Quark posted:

An eternal mystery.
This made my day. Thanks.

McDragon posted:

One of the hotels. Coumarine I think? In the lobby, you need a pokemon with max happiness as well IIRC.

Awesome! Thanks!

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I don't think I've ever encountered a sandstorm there, what do they do that's so terrible?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It slows you to a crawl if you move against the windflow.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

So, just to be sure I'm clear on this - I got a Whismur with a perfect Speed IV and an Attack IV of 28. Will he only be good for passing down speed, or is this the sort of thing that's more pliable through the wonders of pokemon loving or oh my god breeding you guys. :derp:

noirstronaut posted:

What's the item to pass down nature?

THEY HAVE THOSE?! :psyboom:

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 10, 2013

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So earlier people were talking about the worst new models for Pokemon and after trying to fill out my Dex for the Oval Charm I've come across another one: Purrloin. Why is it standing like that?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Does anyone know if berries grow by steps or by time? I'm pretty sure it's steps, but if someone knows for certain, that would be best.

Also, isn't Boomburst supposed to ignore Substitute? It doesn't on Showdown, but I haven't gotten far enough in the actual game to check.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

noirstronaut posted:

Everstone.

There are 8 items that have an effect when breeding. They are: the 6 power items, Destiny Knot, and Everstone.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Beachcomber posted:

Also, isn't Boomburst supposed to ignore Substitute? It doesn't on Showdown, but I haven't gotten far enough in the actual game to check.

Don't trust mechanics on Showdown for now. There are lots of bugs at the moment.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Beachcomber posted:

Does anyone know if berries grow by steps or by time? I'm pretty sure it's steps, but if someone knows for certain, that would be best.

Berries grow in real time. I think all berries take a whole number of days (as in 24-hour periods) to grow. How many days depends on the berry.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Hammerite posted:

Everstone.

There are 8 items that have an effect when breeding. They are: the 6 power items, Destiny Knot, and Everstone.

The power items pass down the corresponding stat, right? How would that work if the other parent has a Destiny Knot?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

noirstronaut posted:

The power items pass down the corresponding stat, right? How would that work if the other parent has a Destiny Knot?

5 stats will be passed down still. Those 5 stats will include the stat corresponding to the power item. That stat will be passed down from the parent holding the power item; the other 4 may be passed down from either parent. The 6th stat will be randomly generated as usual.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

If you use it with a Destiny Knot it just guarantees that one of the five IVs passed down from the parents is the specific one that you placed the Power item on, IE, if you used a Power Anklet (Speed) on the father his speed IV will be on every one of his children.

Edit: You can get the Power items in the Battle Maison in the post-game for 16 BP each. They can also be used to increase EV gain.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

So what's a power item, then?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Lizard Wizard posted:

So what's a power item, then?

There is one corresponding to each stat. They can be used for EV training and for breeding. They may be obtained from the Battle Maison for 16 BP each.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
So with the power item, it still passes down 5, but only 4 are random? Sounds good enough for me.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

So with the power item, it still passes down 5, but only 4 are random? Sounds good enough for me.

A one in 12 chance of getting the right IV is better than the one in 25 chance of getting the right nature.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Usually 3 IVs are passed down randomly from the two parents (5 with Destiny Knot). With the power items, you guarantee a certain IV from the parent holding it is passed down, but the 3/5 limit stays. Any IV not passed down is generated randomly.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

noirstronaut posted:

LAY-ZX is right, as natures give +10%/-10% to stats, and there are many more of them, getting the one you want and passing it with Everstone is going to be better statistics-wise than using a Power Item.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Locke Dunnegan posted:

LAY-ZX is right, as natures give +10%/-10% to stats, and there are many more of them, getting the one you want and passing it with Everstone is going to be better statistics-wise than using a Power Item.

Well, it certainly seems like Power Items could be very useful in building a better parent.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
The trainers in the battle Maison say funny things

Even pokemon knows that lolcats is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

The trainers in the Battle Maison say MEAN things, more like.

I got this after losing.

• Locked thread