Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Khablam posted:

Or you can earn it without paying. If you're complaining about the price that means you want to buy it on some level, so you're half way to clicking buy.

It's how IAPs get you. Instead see it as a challenge and it's all gravy.

I'm complaining about it and I already uninstalled tds so I don't know if I am really half way to buying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
Does anybody have any thoughts on Meltdown? It's only $1.99 (but also includes IAP!) but was wondering if anybody else tried it out. There's 4-player multiplayer too.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Social Animal posted:

Were any of those a car upgrade? I think I only bought one or two since they were super pricy.

Those were suit upgrades.

Also that last trail was nuts, it took me a few tries to get it right. The dialog in that last trail was the best thing in the whole game.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 11, 2013

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

It's my first game of this nature and I can't believe there's a market for it.
Dear god it's tedious once you get over the initial charm. It's like a virtual pet that doesn't have the decency to die.

Also, just recently grabbed the first part of Sorcery and while I enjoy their presentation and loved reliving that childhood of mine (thumbing a page and flipping to what horrible fate my character had), I can't help but now see it as a big pile of contrivances geared around avoiding having too many alternate possibilities by having my character be a klutz who gets horribly mangled every time I make an unwanted decision.
I hear the second part is less linear but I can't imagine it strays too far from a formula that annoys me more than anything else.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

HiriseSoftware posted:

Does anybody have any thoughts on Meltdown? It's only $1.99 (but also includes IAP!) but was wondering if anybody else tried it out. There's 4-player multiplayer too.

I bought it last night and have been playing it nearly nonstop. It's drat fun and the IAP is not at all necessary. The weapon upgrade currency comes in a bit slow but everything else feels about right and you level up SUPER quickly online.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
If you can get lucky the last trial is pretty easy. Just keep taking out witnesses/evidence until you get a set that only does 1-2 damage each turn, which gives you enough points to nullify their attacks and one free shot at the prosecutor every turn.

By the way, what did you guys upgrade? I maxed out decadence the first round and got about two-thirds for the other two. Maybe I'll try full materialism next.

Also on other iOS news Survivalcraft got a new update, which consists mostly of revamping the electric system. Pretty fun to play around with.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Inadequately posted:

If you can get lucky the last trial is pretty easy. Just keep taking out witnesses/evidence until you get a set that only does 1-2 damage each turn, which gives you enough points to nullify their attacks and one free shot at the prosecutor every turn.

Yeah, I got a set that dealt 2-3 damage each turn and had the +3 health/turn going. If you get lucky like me and get two witness protection guys & two low-damage witnesses, it's a laughable case. The dialogue is top-notch, great fun all around.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
What are good, long, console-ish (if that makes sense) games for the iPad besides XCOM? I'm really close to buying it, but $20 is pricey compared to the other games on the app store and I'm not in the mood to be patient for a price drop. I've already got Knights of the Old Republic on my computer, and haven't ever been a fan of the Final Fantasy games, so those are ruled out.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You mentioned Final Fantasy games, but did you mean Final Fantasy Tactics? That's pretty long.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I've had some fun with The World ends with You recently, but it is pretty pricey and probably won't ever drop. The Phoenix Wright trilogy is pretty long too, and the first part is free if you want to try it out. There's the perennial favorite King of Dragon Pass, that one lasts for a while.

Also because you said 'console-ish' I looked it up on a whim and it seems like there's an iOS port of Uplink! Has anyone tried it yet? I've seen an LP of the PC version before and it looked fun, but you can never be certain about the quality of a port.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

What are good, long, console-ish (if that makes sense) games for the iPad besides XCOM? I'm really close to buying it, but $20 is pricey compared to the other games on the app store and I'm not in the mood to be patient for a price drop. I've already got Knights of the Old Republic on my computer, and haven't ever been a fan of the Final Fantasy games, so those are ruled out.

If you're down with adventure games I'd suggest the Broken Sword games and Phoenix Wright.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

FlashBangBob posted:

It's a bugged mission and actually requires like 35. In addition, missions are basically crap compared to building more levels. But go ahead, rage on.

Thanks for pointing out the first part, but go gently caress yourself with that other poo poo. I guess raging now means finding a flaw in a game made by the thread's favorite developers. :downs:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Also Ghost Trick.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

There's The Walking Dead game if you're into point-and-click adventure games. It's also pretty pricey but the first episode is free if you want to try it out. Bastion is a great RPG that came out for Xbox/PC first and was ported over to iOS. And like others mentioned above, the Phoenix Wright games, Ghost Trick, and King of Dragon Pass are great as well.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Evil Sagan posted:

Thanks for pointing out the first part, but go gently caress yourself with that other poo poo. I guess raging now means finding a flaw in a game made by the thread's favorite developers. :downs:

Your comment was basically a "gently caress this game" because the game had a bug and pushing you into using IAP currency to 1) complete a mission worth basically nothing and 2) the devs meant to do it on purpose or something.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

FlashBangBob posted:

Your comment was basically a "gently caress this game" because the game had a bug and pushing you into using IAP currency to 1) complete a mission worth basically nothing and 2) the devs meant to do it on purpose or something.

I see where your misunderstanding originates from. I simply meant "gently caress that" to paying forward on a bugged mission. I have fun with the missions, regardless of the rewards, and I hated to be blocked on that, but it's not gently caress this game and it's not raging.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
In the original TT, I got the best elevator and then I just kind of stopped having a reason to play so putting that carrot farther away works out well for me at least :)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I don't think I've ever played a game as luck based as Devil's Attorney. It's not a bad idea for a game and the presentation is slick as hell but the gameplay is just...eh.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

I don't think I've ever played a game as luck based as Devil's Attorney. It's not a bad idea for a game and the presentation is slick as hell but the gameplay is just...eh.

That has not been my experience. I played on normal, so maybe it's tougher on hard & requires more luck, but I never required a lucky roll to win a case.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

It is a first a little, but once you get to the second area you shouldn't need luck anymore.

Deep voice forces max damage. Combine that with the accessory that lets you use it twice, the tie that increase the cross examine damage, and the suit that increase your first damage by +1. Bam that is 7 damage right there for 4ap. With intimidate you take out up to 14 health guys in the first turn.

Reverse psychology takes out those really buff witness for 4ap, or 3ap with the car upgrade.

Don't grab any accessory that increase your lifestyle or case health. Those are dumb and worth much less than the + damage or reduce star cost.

Reducing damage taken is more reliable sometimes. Just weaken stuff and come back next turn in full force.

Deep voice and ego trip last until your next attack. They are often the best stuff to use the last remaining stars you have.

Objections stop any person for 1 turn including the benefits they do. If you don't want roger to add credibility to every witness use objection on him.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Inadequately posted:

Also because you said 'console-ish' I looked it up on a whim and it seems like there's an iOS port of Uplink! Has anyone tried it yet? I've seen an LP of the PC version before and it looked fun, but you can never be certain about the quality of a port.

The iOS port of Uplink is fantastic. It's every bit the same game as on PC, but some things just seem a little better with a touch interface as you didn't have to click to select and then click again to deselect things like you sometimes had to do on PC.

It's a really solid port in every way and well worth the money. Go buy it, and if enough of us do then maybe one day they'll port the nuclear war game they made too.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

It's a really solid port in every way and well worth the money. Go buy it, and if enough of us do then maybe one day they'll port the nuclear war game they made too.

Thats my dream... An iOS port of Defcon would be amazing.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I keep seeing IAP mentioned here. What does that stand for/what does it mean?

Also there a lot of haters but Deus Ex: The Fall was pretty fun for me but kind of short.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
^^^^^^ In App Purchase and Deus Ex was so short that I'm not sure if I'm okay with it still.

Thoughts on 868-HACK

1. I'm scared that I will never find the end of the upgrade unlocks. I can't quite tell how many times I've passed through ::ALIVE:: but poo poo is still unlocking. I've had to alter my gameplay because my favourite programs have become kinda rare and unobtainable and it's stretching me, pushing and loving molding/altering me & my dynamic into a better and more intelligent dude and I'm not sure if I like it or need it or even want to pursue just how far down the bunny hole the creativity in this game goes, like I'll strive through this barrier and I'll be in a clearing, the sun shining bright and a little avatar turns it's head to me and breaks the fourth wall by calling my name and I'll snap my loving mini in half and drive the glass into the carpet with my bare feet screaming screaming

2. I've searched long and hard and I've decided the Rob Dougan - Furious Angels double CD album is the best to play 868-HACK to. I thought, you know, maybe Infected Mushroom - Converting Vegetarians (The Otherside) might have been the one, but I'll tell you how I got there: First I went with Vangelis' 1492: Conquests of Paradise soundtrack, decided it wasn't techy enough, skipped to Vangelis' Blade Runner, then I kinda toyed around a little, even tried Evanescence because I was in a queer mood, and The Dust Brother's Fight Club OST really kinda... you know, I thought had it with Fight Club, but then I tried The Matrix OST, various artists, and found just the perfect mesh with Rob Dougan's Clubbed To Death (Kurayamino Mix), and that's how I ended up with the Furious Angels recommendation. It's grand. Give it a go, guys.

3. Really just do the TUTOR, because I didn't and I played this game for like a month marvelling at just how poo poo I was in this kind of curious disbelief that nothing worked for me and I couldn't get to 8/8 and did this guy, this loving Michael Brough actually create the hardest rogue-like game ever and charge me $5+ to fricatively gently caress me. I was always running low on the money and energy elements and being blindsided in the seventh level with my little smiley face rapidly turning it's smile upways down on it's dial, as all the cryptogs and glitches and nigh unkillable daemons crowd around me, pushing and poo poo with the viruses whipping furiously around in the background waiting their turn in the Helmacron feast.

Then I realized the sweet little marks on the ground are what you get when you siphon. Honestly, the game helps you.

4. The game helps you out so much. I mean it's always telling you everything you need to know like a coach quietly taking you aside and not making you feel stupid at all and it never tells anybody else and it's Cool about it, just really Cool. It's just so perfect, so deep, and I've just noticed that each game, there's a different name at the top. Kid. Cyborg. Agent. Hacker. What do they mean!?!?!? Oh poo poo, I just discovered the PROGS screen and I only have two more programs to unlock which totally kills my first entry. This game is crazy good, crazy balanced, crazy interdimensionally-like quantum-ly like crazy epic and I mean epic as in Illiad because apparently that's a thing now, let's get upset at how people use epic in a sentence.

5. And I mentioned it before, but like Michael Brough's name makes me laugh because it's right there, on the main screen, like Check It, Yo, It's Mikey B, Watch This Space

LATE EDITION NUMBER 6

6. Oh God, I just went to post this on iTunes and the latest version (1.04) has the following changes:
- alternative control option on telephone. (Helmacron: "WHAT TELEPHONE?")
- enemy move order now correctly randomised.
- prog lock/unlock forbidden during streaks. (WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?)
- deadlock no longer detected while stepping. (WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?)
- fixed ending screen. (YOU CAN FINISH THIS GAME?)
- powerup quantity background indicator.
- tweaked late-streak powerup numbers. (WHAT? This poo poo is mysterious!)
- secret level no longer accessible from secret level. (SECRET LEVEL?)
- wait what there's no such thing. (Does that mean there's no secret level, or it's there but we're not supposed to know about it?)
- .STEP alert cost increased to 4. (gently caress YOU, MIKEY B)

Helmacron fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 11, 2013

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Social Animal posted:

Ssshh don't say "Its" name, 'lest it spawns and covers this thread with 3 pages of poo poo once more.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Parkingtigers posted:

The iOS port of Uplink is fantastic. It's every bit the same game as on PC, but some things just seem a little better with a touch interface as you didn't have to click to select and then click again to deselect things like you sometimes had to do on PC.

Thanks, I'll think about grabbing it then. Costs a bit, but looks worth every penny.

Also Devil's attorney seems kind of inconsistent on that regard. Some cases seem to require getting an absolutely perfect round, some seem to be solvable even with the absolute minimum of damage. Although there's probably a way to solve the former too, but I ended up just savescumming for a good first turn because I couldn't figure out the optimal pattern.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 11, 2013

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

HiriseSoftware posted:

I like it, it's a nice little shooter. The controls are okay but it's really dumb not having a dedicated melee button.

Edit: this game can get really dumb sometimes with exploding enemies. Ughh.

ahmeni fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Nov 11, 2013

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I just finished Device 6. What an absolutely incredible game.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Social Animal posted:

Also there a lot of haters but Deus Ex: The Fall was pretty fun for me but kind of short.

In-app purchase. Anything that pops up asking you to buy more for X amount of dollars.

What's weird with IAP is that I don't have a problem buying dumb poo poo like ad removal form Kairosoft games, or a new character or two in Kingdom Rush, or expansions like in Ascension or LostStar Tactics, but the second the IAP even remotely appears to be creating an artificial barrier I pretty much delete the game. It's probably just a resentment of paying money equating to progress.

Also, I played Tiny Death Star for an evening then deleted it. Moves too slow and it's still an elevator sim, not a building sim.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

Also, I played Tiny Death Star for an evening then deleted it. Moves too slow and it's still an elevator sim, not a building sim.

My mother was stuck in an elevator for 6 hours while she was pregnant with me with nothing more than a bottle of coke and a soap opera tabloid.

What I'm saying is the elevator is my spirit animal.

Subwoofer Meadow
Jul 2, 2013
So as usually happens with iOS games, I get totally out the loop every few months and haven't bought many games since Xcom, which I paid full price for and consistently crashed to the home screen two minutes in (iPad mini). It's a huge bummer since I love the game on PC and I feel totally ripped off. Was this a common issue with others, and if so did they successfully patch it?

Anyway, I'm mainly wondering about the better hotseat or simultaneous multiplayer games - I love and have played a shitload of Ascension (I have every set on iOS and IRL) and I'm looking into trying Swords and Soldiers for simultaneous multiplayer, but I'm baffled at games like Civ Rev and Worms which seem to have network support but no pass-and-play support. At least the description on the app store rarely makes it clear which multiplayer modes are available. Have there been any notable local/offline multiplayer games for iPad in the past couple of months (especially 2-player specifically) that might have passed me by?

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Frozen Synapse perhaps?

Have a look through here:
http://www.pockettactics.com/2013-iphone-ipad-android-reviews-index/

Subwoofer Meadow
Jul 2, 2013
It's cool this is on iOS now, but again, the app store page makes no mention of if it's an offline multiplayer or network play only (or both). Can anyone clarify?

I just tried Xcom again, since it mentioned a patch for iOS7 iPad mini users, but now it crashes before it can even get to the main menu. :argh:

On the other hand, I checked out that link and I had no idea that the Pandemic board game is a thing on iPads. I've played a bunch of the actual board game and it's some really great coop. If there are any more firsthand goon recommendations for local 2-player though, I'd be up for hearing them.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Subwoofer Meadow posted:

It's cool this is on iOS now, but again, the app store page makes no mention of if it's an offline multiplayer or network play only (or both). Can anyone clarify?

I just tried Xcom again, since it mentioned a patch for iOS7 iPad mini users, but now it crashes before it can even get to the main menu. :argh:

On the other hand, I checked out that link and I had no idea that the Pandemic board game is a thing on iPads. I've played a bunch of the actual board game and it's some really great coop. If there are any more firsthand goon recommendations for local 2-player though, I'd be up for hearing them.

It has online asynchronous multiplayer.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
This thread is now the Devil's Attorney Theme Song Appreciation Station :c00lbert:

Bitchin guitar riffs + NOT GUILTY ITT.

I bought that when it first came out, and just marathonned it one morning before work. It has alarmingly good voice acting, and kind of a charming little narrative. Also, everything that comes out of the main character's mouth is a borderline Dad Joke. This game is worth your time.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

In-app purchase. Anything that pops up asking you to buy more for X amount of dollars.

What's weird with IAP is that I don't have a problem buying dumb poo poo like ad removal form Kairosoft games, or a new character or two in Kingdom Rush, or expansions like in Ascension or LostStar Tactics, but the second the IAP even remotely appears to be creating an artificial barrier I pretty much delete the game. It's probably just a resentment of paying money equating to progress.

I got into TDS for 2 full days until I got the same feeling from the airport simulator they did: grinding work for no gain. I don't mind grinding (with or without IAP, that's irrelevant) when there's an end in mind but getting new levels is just going to get me to have to manage more timers.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

TraderStav posted:

I got into TDS for 2 full days until I got the same feeling from the airport simulator they did: grinding work for no gain. I don't mind grinding (with or without IAP, that's irrelevant) when there's an end in mind but getting new levels is just going to get me to have to manage more timers.

Fuckin seriously. When it clicked that I was no longer in a tutorial and this was now in fact 'the game' any enjoyment immediately drained.
There's no way to fail, it's just a case of how fast you progress towards... nothing, I guess.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Played it for five minutes before uninstalling because I'm not compelled to play a game where you're dragging people up an elevator to make a number go up. It was, in fact, already getting TDS.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

How cool are you with very old-school Western-style RPGs? The Spiderweb games are really great if you enjoy that kind of gameplay and can get over the dated presentation. The currently released games are Avadon, Avernum: Escape from the Pit, and Avernum 6. They're all fairly huge PC RPGs that were ported over and are very high quality.

Edit- Avadon is the most "modern" of the bunch, if that matters to you. It might be a good place to start if you want to decide if these kinds of games are for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I've personally always liked the aesthetic of tiny tower and TDS. Getting new floors was a reward in itself because I could see what new thing I unlocked, so I was always working towards... getting more floors. I can see how people who aren't interested in seeing the next new thing won't like the game though.

• Locked thread