Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Saint Fu posted:

I apparently have excellent 4G LTE, does that mean I'll have excellent HSPA+ too?

I had really good H+ coverage in Chicago, I think you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I figured as much, huge city and all. Thanks for the confirmation.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

hypersober posted:

Anyone else having trouble connecting to the 3G network with Straight Talk? Never had problems before with my iPhone 4.

When I had ST the network would disconnect often. Are you using the (old) apn profile from the unlock website?

savesthedayrocks fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 9, 2013

KoB
May 1, 2009
Has anyone tried to activate with T-Mobile today? I was going through the activation process and was putting in my billing info to pay, but it kept telling me that I had to fill out the section for the reoccurring billing date. Except that the page didnt have the option anywhere on it. I filled out every box on the page but would give me that same error every time.

I called in and they said my phone number transfer was processing and Im still just waiting on that to try again.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Anyone else on the $30/mo T-Mobile plan who pays a little extra every month for another bucket of minutes? It seems that I have some problem with billing almost every single cycle. How common is this?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

hooah posted:

Anyone else on the $30/mo T-Mobile plan who pays a little extra every month for another bucket of minutes? It seems that I have some problem with billing almost every single cycle. How common is this?

I do. What's the problem? The only issue I've had with billing is trying to lower the monthly amount (I've built up enough of a buffer and need to use it down some). I would keep changing it from $35 to $30 and it kept reverting back. It eventually took after some tries (and some months).

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

KoB posted:

Has anyone tried to activate with T-Mobile today? I was going through the activation process and was putting in my billing info to pay, but it kept telling me that I had to fill out the section for the reoccurring billing date. Except that the page didnt have the option anywhere on it. I filled out every box on the page but would give me that same error every time.

I called in and they said my phone number transfer was processing and Im still just waiting on that to try again.

Not today, but I had that exact same problem a week ago. The port and everything will do through, you will just have to wait to set up your online account to put money on it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Uthor posted:

I do. What's the problem? The only issue I've had with billing is trying to lower the monthly amount (I've built up enough of a buffer and need to use it down some). I would keep changing it from $35 to $30 and it kept reverting back. It eventually took after some tries (and some months).

Let's see... This month the automatic payment didn't happen today, so my service got cut off. Seriously, guys, it's an automatic payment. How do you gently caress that up. Last couple months I tried to get them to change my payment from $30 to $40 so I had 200 minutes of voice (effectively), but that didn't get through to them the first time. I don't remember the previous months any more, but I feel like I contact their billing support far too often.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I remember my parents' autopayment not going through the first month either. One thing I've noticed is that a "month" for TMobile is exactly 30 days, so months with 31 days cause your bill date to move up a day. I have it top up a few days early, but need to adjust the date the happens every once in a while.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Just a reminder about how awesome Google Voice is (why is there still not a GV thread, no I'm not starting one).

I'm selling a phone on the local classifieds. I have it listed for $599 with a clear description that I won't have any lowball offers and I don't meet at night. Well, it's after 10pm and I get a hyper-texting dude that lands in my lap.

He offers $500. I say no, and tell him to re-read the ad. Comes back with $550. I entertain since he said he didn't want any accessories. We go back and forth and I agree zero accessories and I re-iterate I can only meet tomorrow (I planned on returning the cover to the store which is why I went $49 less).

He replies "I am a serious buyer I want it tonight if you can throw in the s cover too."
What? We just agreed no accessories.

Here is how it ended:

Silent bliss on my end. He's gone, and most certainly angrily texting me back / trying to call me and raise hell. Nope. "Be bee beep! We're sorry, you have reached a number that has been disconnected or is no longer in service. Please check the number and try your call again."

GV is just awesome for craigslist and feeling comfortable handing out your real number. You just shut idiots down and they go away. I highly recommend porting over.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 10, 2013

OliverObtuse
Nov 30, 2005

ROCKET FUEL MALT LIQUOR, DAMN!
I apologize if this has been answered before, but this thread has gotten huge.

I activated a Straight Talk ATT sim. I bought a HTC One that was ATT carrier locked.

Went to change the APN, and the APN is locked. I can add an APN, but I can't delete the old one or change it. So, then I carrier unlocked the phone. I put in a Tmo sim I had with the $30 plan on it, changed the APN setting no problem. Phone downloads LTE speeds no problem. I put the ST sim back in, back to locked APN.

What gives? What do I do?

EDIT: ok i swapped sim cards one more time, taking out the Tmo card activated on the $30 plan and putting the ST ATT sim back in, and now the data works. The APN is still selected as ATT, and it's still locked, and the one I added is still there, so i'm stumped. Hey, at least it works.

OliverObtuse fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 10, 2013

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

hooah posted:

Let's see... This month the automatic payment didn't happen today, so my service got cut off. Seriously, guys, it's an automatic payment. How do you gently caress that up.

Make sure your auto pay is at least 5 days ahead and you should have no issue. If the auto pay misses you still have 5 days to drop on the 30. Yeah it sucks but for 1/3 priced service I think it's acceptable to pay early.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

hotsauce posted:

You just shut idiots down and they go away. I highly recommend porting over.

But then you are stuck with all the bugs and terrible interface of Google Voice. And no MMS. So there are pros and cons to dealing with a google voice # and a "real" number.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

ShaneB posted:

But then you are stuck with all the bugs and terrible interface of Google Voice. And no MMS. So there are pros and cons to dealing with a google voice # and a "real" number.

Yeah the app sucks but hangouts should fix that in early 2014 . And I haven't needed MMS for like 2 years. Don't need it at all.

If I just need to get a lovely MMS pic I can always give out my throwaway real number that I don't even know.

Worth the tradeoff I say.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ShaneB posted:

hotsauce posted:

Yeah the app sucks but hangouts should fix that in early 2014 . And I haven't needed MMS for like 2 years. Don't need it at all.

If I just need to get a lovely MMS pic I can always give out my throwaway real number that I don't even know.

Worth the tradeoff I say.

You can still use Hangouts with Voice. All you need to do is set it so the GV app forwards the SMS people send to your GV number to whatever you have set as the default SMS application. Since Hangouts is set, then that's where the messages go to.

Each message comes from a number that would only make sense to GV itself. It wouldn't even be in the correct area code. However, if you message that number back using your phone, tablet (via GV only), or computer, it'll show up to the other person as your GV number.

Example:

My real number is 123-456-7890 and my GV is 098-765-4321. You messaged that (098) number, your message will go to the default SMS app (in this case, Hangouts). However, your real number is 555-555-5555 but when I receive that message, it shows up as 1-554-552-5552. This second number (554) only makes sense to Google Voice but if I message it, even from my (123) number, you will only see the (098) number. This way, I can use Hangouts without needing to worry about anyone knowing my real number.

The thing is, and this was the same in AOSP Messaging as well, you can't get MMS to my GV number unless the other person is on Sprint or using Sprint's network. If they are on Sprint (and only Sprint, no Virgin Mobile or Boost Mobile), the MMS goes to my e-mail. If they're not on Sprint, it goes into the ether.

The way I did all of this:

1. Go to the voice.google.com > click the Gear > Settings > find your number and tick the "Receive text messages on this phone" option.

2. Go to the Google Voice app > Overflow Menu > Settings > Sync and Notifications > Under "Receive text messages", make sure it says "Via the messaging app".

It should work the way I described above. If you want the person's contact card to show up, then add that number GV gives you to the person's card in the People app (or Contacts, depending on what it's named) and then name it "GV" so you know what number it is.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
That seems like a lot of work and incredibly confusing for something that could be shut down at any time without notice and my phone lets me block numbers locally so I'll just use my phone like normal.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Free T-Mobile SIMs again

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

These work in iPads, correct? I may grab an extra one to swap out for occasional usage for when I go through my free 200mb.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

TraderStav posted:

These work in iPads, correct? I may grab an extra one to swap out for occasional usage for when I go through my free 200mb.

the community wiki in the link posted:

Those of you looking for the free data plan for iPad Air/iPad mini, get the Nano Sim Mobile Internet only.

Nexus 5 - micro-SIM
iPhone 5, 5C, 5S - nano-SIM

$30/100min/5GB plan only able to be activated online!

I guess so? I don't know anything about iPads.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Wondering this too. Anyone know if these will work for data only plans?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just bought a Nexus 5 and I'm looking to port my number from Virgin to Straight Talk. How should I go about this? Do I buy a SIM card/plan first, then call Virgin to port my number? Or will that give me a new Straight Talk number and incur hassle and additional fees?

Also, should I buy the SIM just from the Straight Talk site or is there a better option?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

That seems like a lot of work and incredibly confusing for something that could be shut down at any time without notice and my phone lets me block numbers locally so I'll just use my phone like normal.

Its changing a few settings and texting a different number.

Also, it won't be shut down without notice, it'll be merged into Hangouts next year and made obsolete since Hangouts will be able to use GV without trouble.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

I just bought a Nexus 5 and I'm looking to port my number from Virgin to Straight Talk. How should I go about this? Do I buy a SIM card/plan first, then call Virgin to port my number? Or will that give me a new Straight Talk number and incur hassle and additional fees?

Also, should I buy the SIM just from the Straight Talk site or is there a better option?

I don't know the steps to port to Straight Talk, but you do that before doing anything with Virgin. If you cancel VM first, you lose the number. You port to Straight Talk and the porting will close your VM account automatically.

(I think you need to port during activation with Straight Talk, but that's just a vague memory from reading other peoples' posts here.)

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Buy the ST sim, and monthly credit card.
Then on the ST website, it will ask if you have a number you want to port to ST. Put in your info.
Should take 24-48 hours to port over to ST from VM.
Your VM account will be cancelled by porting out.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Figured I'd post an update on AIO in Omaha: everything seems great so far, and honestly I haven't noticed any difference from AT&T other than some sign on authentication warnings since my IP is apparently in Florida now.

Does anyone have suggestions for a prepay hotspot? I was looking at Walmart's Internet on the Go thing as buying 4 gigs and having it last till it's used up would be perfect for me. Sprint is crazy slow here but it'd probably be enough for what I want to do. Also looked at the Karma hotspots but they're WiMax only for the time being.

Edit: also looking at Freedom Pop. They seem kindof shady but the $3.99 plan would probably work well for me.

powderific fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 11, 2013

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I've been using Aio for a week now, after switching over from Tmo prepaid, and I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm a Google Voice user, and when I was on Tmobile, I had to cancel the voicemail on my Tmobile number. Do I have to do the same with Aio? I'm assuming I can do this with a phone call to their customer support?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ThermoPhysical posted:

You can still use Hangouts with Voice. All you need to do is set it so the GV app forwards the SMS people send to your GV number to whatever you have set as the default SMS application. Since Hangouts is set, then that's where the messages go to.

Each message comes from a number that would only make sense to GV itself. It wouldn't even be in the correct area code. However, if you message that number back using your phone, tablet (via GV only), or computer, it'll show up to the other person as your GV number.

Example:

My real number is 123-456-7890 and my GV is 098-765-4321. You messaged that (098) number, your message will go to the default SMS app (in this case, Hangouts). However, your real number is 555-555-5555 but when I receive that message, it shows up as 1-554-552-5552. This second number (554) only makes sense to Google Voice but if I message it, even from my (123) number, you will only see the (098) number. This way, I can use Hangouts without needing to worry about anyone knowing my real number.

The thing is, and this was the same in AOSP Messaging as well, you can't get MMS to my GV number unless the other person is on Sprint or using Sprint's network. If they are on Sprint (and only Sprint, no Virgin Mobile or Boost Mobile), the MMS goes to my e-mail. If they're not on Sprint, it goes into the ether.

The way I did all of this:

1. Go to the voice.google.com > click the Gear > Settings > find your number and tick the "Receive text messages on this phone" option.

2. Go to the Google Voice app > Overflow Menu > Settings > Sync and Notifications > Under "Receive text messages", make sure it says "Via the messaging app".

It should work the way I described above. If you want the person's contact card to show up, then add that number GV gives you to the person's card in the People app (or Contacts, depending on what it's named) and then name it "GV" so you know what number it is.

Yes, this method sucks for all of the above.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Yes, this method sucks for all of the above.

You can do that or use the carrier's SMS e-mail and Google Voice to use a filter in Gmail that forwards GV texts to your carrier's SMS e-mail.

There's no other ways to do it unless you want Google to do it sometime in mid 2014 and have it just as broken as SMS/MMS is for Hangouts.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
I guess if all of that works for you then great but I prefer not to have to jump through a bunch of hoops of broken poo poo to get basic functions that have worked on phones for years to just kinda sorta sometimes work.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Long Francesco posted:

I guess if all of that works for you then great but I prefer not to have to jump through a bunch of hoops of broken poo poo to get basic functions that have worked on phones for years to just kinda sorta sometimes work.

Honestly, I don't like it either but it at least works 100% of the time (except when a few days ago, Hangouts itself stopped getting any SMS..from GV or otherwise). It's that or deal with the Voice app and I don't want to do that.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm confused about this MMS stuff. Doesn't GV just ignore MMS messages? Does it only work if Hangouts is the default SMS app?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
All this Google voice bashing: yes it kinda sucks but with everyone on smartphones and the amount of much better messaging apps, I rarely use SMS or MMS. And it makes it so easy to switch carriers at the drop of hat and not worry about losing my phone number.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm confused about this MMS stuff. Doesn't GV just ignore MMS messages? Does it only work if Hangouts is the default SMS app?

You will receive MMS via email only if it's sent from Sprint or T-Mobile. MMS is dead to me honestly. No big deal, IMO. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Well hopefully when everything switches to Lte we will have some kind of sane system that works but for now not having mms breaks group messages and that's kind of a deal breaker for a lot of people. I could deal with just using email for butt pics but even then not everyone has a smartphone, and there's already a way to do it that just works for everyone already so why break it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah I've also given up on MMS. When someone asks me about a picture they sent me I'm like "are you from the past?"

E: And I don't have any friends with iPhones so I don't even know what "group messaging" is.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

hotsauce posted:

You will receive MMS via email only if it's sent from Sprint or T-Mobile. MMS is dead to me honestly. No big deal, IMO. Maybe I'm just getting old.

No one I message uses one same app, if any. And I don't want to have a shitload of different apps littering my phone.

Which is why mms is still important for me. I'd love to use gvoice instead. Or if hangouts wasn't so goddamn half assed right now and was something similar to iMessage, that would be amazing.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Tedronai66 posted:

No one I message uses one same app, if any.

Well GV isn't for you I guess. The benefits far outweigh not getting a silly MMS forward for me.

Anyhow, what's the cutoff timeframe for T-Mo to sever your $30 dork plan and give the number to some new nerd if you don't refill. 30 days with no refill? 60 days? I have a non-commitment line on AT&T but at $50 after taxes, I'm still entertaining the $28.99 (refillmobi) T-Mo plan. Want to know how long I can go with a non-refilled plan before they reassign the number and consider me a lost cause.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

hotsauce posted:

Well GV isn't for you I guess. The benefits far outweigh not getting a silly MMS forward for me.

Anyhow, what's the cutoff timeframe for T-Mo to sever your $30 dork plan and give the number to some new nerd if you don't refill. 30 days with no refill? 60 days? I have a non-commitment line on AT&T but at $50 after taxes, I'm still entertaining the $28.99 (refillmobi) T-Mo plan. Want to know how long I can go with a non-refilled plan before they reassign the number and consider me a lost cause.

It's at least 51 days because I let my plan lapse between June 23rd and August 13th earlier this year due to temporarily switching to Net10 AT&T (for back-to-back vacations in AT&T-only land slightly greater than 30 days apart) and T-Mobile reactivated my SIM just fine with the same number.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
My wife has a Verizon iPhone 4S, currently on a Verizon plan. We want to change her to something cheaper. If we don't change phones, is our best bet Page Plus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
So, I'mma switch over to T-Mobile's $30/month Nerd plan (100 minutes/5GB). They don't let you get their premium handset protection, and I am used to Sprint's insurance/service plan (which is the best thing about Sprint) where you show up at a Sprint store with your broken phone and they fix it, or you send your phone in and they replace it for $100.

Does anyone know of a company that provides a similar type of insurance for cell phones? Or am I just going to have to roll the dice (historically speaking, I have not had great luck with phones)?

• Locked thread