Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Clocks posted:

I've personally always liked the aesthetic of tiny tower and TDS. Getting new floors was a reward in itself because I could see what new thing I unlocked, so I was always working towards... getting more floors. I can see how people who aren't interested in seeing the next new thing won't like the game though.

I don't think anyone has ever faulted the aesthetics, all the nimblebit games have looked really drat good. For the 'tiny' series of games they nailed a retro 8 bit look in an era where everyone bitches that the retro 8 bit look is overdone.

Gameplay though? Probably a hundred pages of this thread has people opining about that. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

xzzy posted:

I don't think anyone has ever faulted the aesthetics, all the nimblebit games have looked really drat good. For the 'tiny' series of games they nailed a retro 8 bit look in an era where everyone bitches that the retro 8 bit look is overdone.

Gameplay though? Probably a hundred pages of this thread has people opining about that. :v:

I mean, I'll happily grant that it's a pretty drat solid tedium simulator.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is it really worth wasting a post in order to register with everyone that "I don't like a thing."? We aren't holding a vote.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

marshmonkey posted:

Is it really worth wasting a post in order to register with everyone that "I don't like a thing."? We aren't holding a vote.

Welcome to the forums, day one something awful poster!

Your membership card is in the mail.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

xzzy posted:

I need to make an 8-bit stupid newbie baby avatar.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

marshmonkey posted:

Wasting a post? What, are the post reserves running low? Have we reached peak post count?

Sharing your opinion about a thing is basically number 2 on the list of things the Internet was intended for, right after sharing satellite imagery of missile silos.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Fallom posted:

Wasting a post? What, are the post reserves running low? Have we reached peak post count?

Sharing your opinion about a thing is basically number 2 on the list of things the Internet was intended for, right after sharing satellite imagery of missile silos cats.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Helmacron posted:

Thoughts on 868-HACK

This is a great post, and anyone who is dubious that a 5 dollar game can be worth it should check it out. It is very puzzle driven and while it looks like hot rear end in screen shots, but it really does come together well.

Eventually you get good enough that you're no longer satisfied with just beating the game, but seeing how many times you beat the game in a row instead of relying on getting a early .WAIT, .STEP, and a ton of money/energy blocks. The game actively keeps track of this for you, sort of in a way that acknowledges that you done good, while also making the game fiendishly difficult on the third game in a row you win and onwards. Stuff like giving Daemons 6 health instead of 3, letting Viruses move 3 times a turn instead of 2. It's great.

I think the update notes mean you can finally play the game vertically, though I haven't tried it out yet.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

xzzy posted:

He's a NB dev. That should give you all the context you need.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

B-Mac posted:

Is the KOTOR port any decent? Bought xcom over Halloween and it's pretty good. Also are the final fantasy ports decent as well? The reviews about crashing, no audio and saves not working are a bit worrying. In the new air if that matters.

The KOTOR port is great, and at this point probably the best way to play the game. It's a 2GB game though so you'll need ~6GB to install if you're not syncing from iTunes.

Of the FF games, I've only played FF Tactics but it plays quite well and saving hasn't been an issue. They did a patch to address the slowdowns the game had at first and it runs fine.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Emron posted:

He's a NB dev. That should give you all the context you need.

I thought Marsh was just the lazy artist while Eeen did all the work.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

I hardly think bringing up negative points on a game is irrelevant to the thread.
Giving your opinion on someone else's is the only asininity here.
Is it so upsetting to hear negative views on a game you like that you're going to suggest it not be allowed?

I'm sorry your game blows.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Parkingtigers posted:

The iOS port of Uplink is fantastic. It's every bit the same game as on PC, but some things just seem a little better with a touch interface as you didn't have to click to select and then click again to deselect things like you sometimes had to do on PC.

It's a really solid port in every way and well worth the money. Go buy it, and if enough of us do then maybe one day they'll port the nuclear war game they made too.

The port works well? Count me in! But, is there still passive tracing, forcing me to delete logs on servers other than my final destination? Because that was super annoying and doesn't really add to the gameplay, IMO. Not knowing that little bit got me busted my first time around after a while and made me really sad :(

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I thought Marsh was just the lazy artist while Eeen did all the work.

Art is still development in my crazyland world ok :colbert:

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

totalnewbie posted:

The port works well? Count me in! But, is there still passive tracing, forcing me to delete logs on servers other than my final destination? Because that was super annoying and doesn't really add to the gameplay, IMO. Not knowing that little bit got me busted my first time around after a while and made me really sad :(

Yea, but you can always make your first connection the NIC (was that the name? Where you look up IP addresses) and just delete your logs there. It always saves your password and never traces you .

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

marshmonkey posted:

It's easier for me to read a post stating "I don't like a thing" and be cautioned against it than to potentially purchase, download, and play the thing to have to find out. There are a lot of ios games out there and only so much pooping a body can take.

You didn't see me complain about the pages of congratulations and hype-building for a reskin of an elevator sim.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

It's easier for me to read a post stating "I don't like a thing" and be cautioned against it than to potentially purchase, download, and play the thing to have to find out. There are a lot of ios games out there and only so much pooping a body can take.

You didn't see me complain about the pages of congratulations and hype-building for a reskin of an elevator sim.

I wouldn't want you to be out the whole $0.00 that Tiny Death Star would cost you to purchase. You could possibly get a cheeseburger nothing for that.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Sieg posted:

I wouldn't want you to be out the whole $0.00 that Tiny Death Star would cost you to purchase. You could possibly get a cheeseburger nothing for that.

Wasted time then.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Positive reviews only in this thread, please.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Sieg posted:

The iOS games thread should literally just be a twitter feed for people to read about new game releases and sweet f2p game tips. No opinions allowed, especially about free stuff. What do you people think this is, some kind of discussion forum?

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Nimbledudes, I think the reason you're getting so much blowback re: the IAP in TDS is you're already known for hitting the sweet spot where you give out the currency but you still have the option to buy more if you want to. So when a game like TDS comes out with your name on it, and it's discovered that not only is the game stingy with the IAP but it also costs twice as much to buy, you're obviously going to get criticized for it.

We understand that it was likely a Disney decision but you had to expect this sort of response. I loved TT and still spent money on IAP but TDS just isn't fun because instead of being generous with IAP Disney decided to go the complete opposite direction and force you to buy IAP if you want to progress beyond building more floors. Even little things like the fact that floor upgrades are literally useless and VIPs (outside of service people) are super rare all point to it. We all understand that it was really a Disney game with your input, but the issue still stands that your name is still attached to this so people still expect a Nimblebit game.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
See I was making a pun, TDS sounds like Tedious when you say it and I thought Tiny Death Star was boring

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005

robodex posted:

Nimbledudes, I think the reason you're getting so much blowback re: the IAP in TDS is you're already known for hitting the sweet spot where you give out the currency but you still have the option to buy more if you want to. So when a game like TDS comes out with your name on it, and it's discovered that not only is the game stingy with the IAP but it also costs twice as much to buy, you're obviously going to get criticized for it.

We understand that it was likely a Disney decision but you had to expect this sort of response. I loved TT and still spent money on IAP but TDS just isn't fun because instead of being generous with IAP Disney decided to go the complete opposite direction and force you to buy IAP if you want to progress beyond building more floors. Even little things like the fact that floor upgrades are literally useless and VIPs (outside of service people) are super rare all point to it. We all understand that it was really a Disney game with your input, but the issue still stands that your name is still attached to this so people still expect a Nimblebit game.

I am willing to bet some imperial bux that TDS makes more money per player than Tiny Tower does. They have turned up the friction a bit, which is a key part of monetising.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I'm fine with paying money for a game up-front. I'm also fine with games which offer IAPs for unlocks, or as a substitute for skill - I just see that as part of the purchase price if I'm interested, and irrelevant if I'm not. What I'm not fine with are games, "free-to-play" or otherwise, which require a constant stream of money to make them fun. And when a game tries to trick me by starting out good and then ramping up the grind over time to screw as much money out of me as possible, it just leaves me feeling angry and bitter. So I appreciate the warnings about TDS, and I think this thread is definitely the right place for them.

(Before someone makes the comparison: explicitly subscription-based games like MMOs generally require constant developer attention and massive expenditure on bandwidth to keep running. So they have a good excuse.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh poo poo guys, you did it. You mentioned it three times and now we are doomed to ten pages of debating its legitimacy.

Doom. :argh:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Has there been any mention of the new XCOM expansion eventually making its way to iOS?

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

marshmonkey posted:

We are holding a vote, you just weren't invited

Rita Repulsa posted:

See I was making a pun, TDS sounds like Tedious when you say it and I thought Tiny Death Star was boring

I got it and thought it was quite clever :shobon:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've been listening to NIN for way too long to see TDS as anything but The Downward Spiral.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Has there been any mention of the new XCOM expansion eventually making its way to iOS?

I heard there was a possibility in there being interest in doing it if the market said yes.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
IAP shittiness aside, I do think TDS is a tangible improvement over Tiny Tower. The art and animated levels in particular are great, and even my wife thought the music was a charming rendition of the theme songs.

One thing that irks me though is that my game let me build 3 imperial levels and gave me missions for those levels, but has been stuck on wanting me to build a Communications level for a while now. I now have 7 imperial levels and none of those are a Communications level, so I've been stuck being unable to do those missions for a while. I already used 3 bux to skip the "you need a communications level" wall once, but a new wall is up that costs 9 bux to skip, and I bet the game will keep throwing up new walls even if I used the 9 bux.

It would be nice either if the imperial levels were built in a specific order, or if the game was smart enough to not give you missions that involve imperial levels you don't have. Yes, I do realize that you can use BUX to get the level you want, but in my game it's 134 bux to do that for Communications, which is just laughable.

A tangible way it could be improved would be to only offer 2-3 missions per imperial level that you built, such that if you exhausted all your missions for your currently built levels, it would say something like "build another imperial level to continue fighting the rebels" or something like that and not offer you any more missions.

I suppose it is the way that it is though because testing showed that .001% of players will pay $5-10 real world dollars just to be able to pick what level spawns next.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 11, 2013

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Not to mention you only get something like $2k in coins if you complete the mission.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I kinda like the IAP trend :kiddo: I feel like those that IAP too hard are failing, such dungeon keeper. But there are plenty of great games that I pay for free and that have reasonable IAP. I have only beaten about 5-10% of full games I have played, so many times these free games I am done with them before I reach the pay wall. Also puzzles and dragons and marvel's puzzle quest are amazing games that I gladly payed some money to support them, but I never felt I needed to pay with either.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

TraderStav posted:

Not to mention you only get something like $2k in coins if you complete the mission.

Well, the mission I have right now that involves building a Communications level is for 31xxx coins, which is a good chunk for the midgame, it seems.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

I don't know if anything like this exists, but I'm looking for a Lemmings style game for my iPhone. Are there any out there which are similar?

geera
May 20, 2003

bobfather posted:

One thing that irks me though is that my game let me build 3 imperial levels and gave me missions for those levels, but has been stuck on wanting me to build a Communications level for a while now. I now have 7 imperial levels and none of those are a Communications level, so I've been stuck being unable to do those missions for a while.
Yeah I'm stuck on a "Build 'TRACTOR BEAM' level" imperial mission, and with no guarantee that it'll be the next imperial level that I build, I'm pretty much going to stop building those floors. I just don't care enough to spend bux to skip the mission.

TDS is cute and I'm basically playing to unlock new floors so I can see the new artwork :3: but I lack the OCD required to play until I have every bitizen dream jobbed and all the floors unlocked and organized alphabetically in descending order.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FTL MOTHERFUCKERS!!!

https://vimeo.com/79104930

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I will literally cry and smash my iPad if this game gets poo poo up with horrible IAP implementation.

Otherwise, I will buy this so quickly.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
That is one super crazy busy screen. Would it have made more sense to have collapsible menus?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SquadronROE posted:

That is one super crazy busy screen. Would it have made more sense to have collapsible menus?
None of that footage is from the iPad version.

Edit: they posted 1 image on their blog of their work on the iPad interface, and it appears to have some sort of collapsible interface (at least for weapons control):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

This game is made for a touch screen tablet. It should work really well.

• Locked thread