Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

J3ng4 posted:

I'd like to confess it was my sins. It was my Noob Roleplaying(not to be confused with trolling) that started the commotion yesterday. I'm pretty sure I jumped off 1 cliff that took ~25% HP off and got a bunch of tells saying that I'm an idiot. How was I supposed to know a golem with robot legs, and probably super shocks, would take damage from a small cliff jump? The golem died just outside of a supply camp as I was overrun by a zerg which then wiped the Maguuma zerg.

I could only imagine if a new player accidentally took a golem off a cliff or went the wrong way. They would be fed all kinds of hate speech that they would probably never go into WvW again. The death threats are honestly uncalled for and just ridiculous. Maybe it's because I was sporting an SFD tag but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

My Superhero: 1 golem killed - Maguuma WvW Enemy #1
Doodle Kins: 11 golems killed - Glorious Commander of the TyEhards

The other golems were killed not even 10 minutes after mine, it was golem genocide!

Yeah, it's ridiculous how serious some people take this. Over the weekend in EBG there was a newbie who wasn't on mumble piloting a golem for the first time. He/she wasn't following instructions, so all of the 24/7 mumblers were telling everyone to report the person for scamming because they were "sabotaging the game". Oh no! 100 supply! And yeah, all of the golems died within seconds a few minutes later when they got steamrolled by the BG zerg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

So who are the fun having commanders on Mag? There a few reasons why I don't like to play WvW, but almost all of them are unrelated to actual WvW gameplay.

Drilled Sausage
Oct 24, 2012
I just spent all my gold on toxic dyes for my pretty princess. The results are... well:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Forgall posted:

Oh god, so much "you killed him too soon!" whining in map chat.

Luckily, that's one champion out of hundreds, or thousands of you cross servers. If someone killed the giant, then go to Timberline Falls and kill that Mighty Oouo guy. Or kill the krait witches that everyone started ignoring again after getting their cheevos.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
So engineer talk:

I've been playing in WvW, and I've gotten quite competent running with the zerg and can survive and dish out tons of AOE conditions on groups, and taking massive grenade-laden dumps on enemy stacks trying to defend chokes etc, so I started to branch out into sPVP to try to improve my competency in small scale fights.

In sPvP I do pretty darn good and usually get top score on my team in the random arena. I have good positioning and rarely make myself an easy target, until I become so obnoxious that people will throw life and limb into the wind to try to take me down. I can usually escape without much problem and come back to rain grenades down apund them once more.

So the next logical step is 1v1, but here when I get focused I have to kill my attacker, the goal isn't to simply escape until they no longer see me as a worthwhile target. I'm having the most loving trouble beating two things:

1) stun warriors
2) mesmers

The first mesmer I fought is a mesmer in my guild who's a former Red Guard player and I've had my engineer maybe two days. It was pathetic... I don't think I dealt any damage to him before I would be toast. If I was using nades he would just kite around while illusions thrashed me, if I used my EG or pistol to focus him, I wouldn't get nearly enough damage on him to outdo the illusions. I'd try running around with bombs to wipe the illusions, and while they were dying, he would focus me and I'd die just the same.

Healing isn't really the issue. I'm good with cooldown management and when I drop heal turret I blast it with the detonation and EG 4 for two heal blasts. I just cannot get sustainable dps on mesmers without being easily countered.

The second mesmer I fought was a roaming blackgate mes who I could tell was terrible at the game. Slow reactions, moved like a derp, I still had to retreat once and beat him on my second attempt after much tribulation.

The stun warrior I was having trouble with was a hammer warrior in spvp. He would typically place first on the enemy team and was by far the biggest threat on their side. I played about 6 or 7 matches against him. I was annoying the poo poo out of him when he was killing my teammates and I was the biggest threat, so he would make it a point to focus me first. I think in total he had 3 disables (maybe 2). That he would chain. Typically if someone is rolling hard on me, bomb spam (1-5, big ol bomb, shield 4/5, then switch to grenade rotation) would be enough to get them off my tail.

Not so with this guy.

He would initiate with a stun, which I would often dodge. Unfortunately Anet in their infinite wisdom decided that that stun wasn't actually a stun if it didn't hit me, so he gets another free shot at it seconds later. When I'm inevitably out of dodges he would land a stun, I would break it with heal turret toolkit (my only stunbreaker) and start to try to fight back, but I would be immediately disabled a second time after my first break and far too hurt at that point to scare him off. It resulted in me being shat upon probably 30% of the times he attacked me. The other 70% he would simply warrior off into the distance to try another day.

I considered dropping bombs for rocket boots. I think with another gap closer/escape I would be better off for my playstyle, which is basically engage when it's advantageous and bolt when it's not. But it's a hard sale when I'm usually ontop of the point making GBS threads damage in all directions.

I also considered trying the elixer S, for an additional stun break/escape, but the cooldown make this a rough sell.

I still have much to learn :(

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time

GI_Clutch posted:

Yeah, it's ridiculous how serious some people take this. Over the weekend in EBG there was a newbie who wasn't on mumble piloting a golem for the first time. He/she wasn't following instructions, so all of the 24/7 mumblers were telling everyone to report the person for scamming because they were "sabotaging the game". Oh no! 100 supply! And yeah, all of the golems died within seconds a few minutes later when they got steamrolled by the BG zerg.

This just makes me wants to get a Commander Icon so I can lead lost pubbies to victory. Now I just have to hold off on blowing my gold on stupid gemstore stuff this week! Then ill have to figure out which character to put it on(why is this still a thing?).

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
You should inform your retarded commanders that whoever placed the golem can kick the scumbag out of their golem and let one of their own guys hop in...

This is a thing you can do...

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

Secret Sweater posted:

Engineer sPVP talk

You should try watching Ostrich Eggs stream sometime. He usually streams solo/team queues on his engie every day, either on his own channel or the gw2pvptv channel. He's one of the better engies in the game and you can pick up a lot from watching how he plays.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

gandlethorpe posted:

And making obscure champions/events more rewarding doesn't mean making a specific place the new farm zone. It means making any place that's being ignored a farm zone. All they have to do is scale up rewards for however long an event's been up.

E.g. If that giant in Diessa that no ever kills has been up long enough, let it drop more bags that are guaranteed exotic.

This would be a wonderful implementation of a system they already have in place (mobs give much more xp over time already) and motivate people to explore this beautiful game world rather than grind the yawnfest du jour so of course it will never happen.

Enos Shenk posted:

This makes me sad. But I can't disagree too much with it.

I play on TC, and here's how it looks. On reset night, our organized guilds split off into the maps and actually use mumble, coordinate, and play very smart. Unless we're coming off one of the weeks we had an easy win we usually do quite well up until 4 hours or so after reset. That's when most people start going to bed.

Then for some reason that I've never figured out, the organized WvW guilds never bother to go back in as a unit. The good commanders just gently caress off for the other 6 days, and the only commanders on the map are hilariously bad. So nobody follows them, and the people that want to have decent fights stop going into WvW.

Basically on reset night TC's best commanders are on the field, and I'd put us up against any of the servers. 4 hours later and only our idiots are around.

If its any consolation that's how things were on JQ for months while we were coming in #3 to BG and SoR. We would consistently win reset and then stop bothering with ppt once we lost everything overnight. TC is bloated with zerglings who transferred there just to take advantage of beating up much smaller servers. If you guys shed that weight things will look up. It took awhile for JQ to shake that (they all left for SoR, and then I think left there for BG) and we're much better as a result. Sure we're still bloated with terrible zerglings but they are our terrible zerglings.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

weinus posted:

You should try watching Ostrich Eggs stream sometime. He usually streams solo/team queues on his engie every day, either on his own channel or the gw2pvptv channel. He's one of the better engies in the game and you can pick up a lot from watching how he plays.

Good idea, thanks for the suggestion.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

And since we're talking about frustrating implementations of systems that should be easy to make fun, here's a big picture look at the league system so far:

Week One:
http://mos.millenium.org/na/wvw_seasons/index/115

Gold Tier: 1 Competitive Matchup (JQ/BG/SoR)
Silver Tier: 0 Competitive Matchups
Bronze Tier: 0 Competitive Matchups

Week Two:
http://mos.millenium.org/na/wvw_seasons/index/117

Gold Tier: 0 Competitive Matchups
Bronze Tier: 1 Competitive Matchup (Dh / GoM /FC)

Week Three:
http://mos.millenium.org/na/wvw_seasons/index/119

Bronze Tier: 0 Competitive Matchups

Week Four: (Predicted)
http://mos.millenium.org/na/wvw_seasons/index/121

Bronze Tier: 2 Competitive Matchups (HoD/SF/GoM & Ka/Dh/DR) (This is being very very generous)

I'm not sure what the goal of the league system is but if it was to make the matchups more fun or interesting it has failed totally. Silver league has had no good matchups. Gold league has had one and probably won't have more than two more the rest of the season.

If the goal was to expose the complete lack of server parity than it has succeeded. Unfortunately exposing a huge glaring flaw while offering no solutions can't really be considered any sort of success.

Now if they say, implemented guild wide transfers and made them free for lower ranked servers that could fix some of this. But I've given up hope on that ever happening. The one light at the end of the tunnel is the overflow WvW map that I think many guilds that actually like just running around and fighting people for fun will probably move in to. But that's at least a few months away.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
The goal of the league system was "omg quit bothering us about world pvp, here take this and shut up for the next year".

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
Our Server (Sanctum of Rall) was gung-ho about leagues until the matchup was more or less decided by the first match. The first week queue times were loving horrendous(1-2 hours) and the lag made playing pretty much impossible, which I'm sure everyone remembers fondly.

After that it's had the additional affect of making former WvW regulars not even want to play anymore because of how the fighting has changed. Last night during primetime NA we were outmanned on 2-3 BLs with a queue on one, which is basically unheard of. Getting open-field fights is a rarity since people are so focused on playing the PPT game and protecting their T3 assets.

I didn't really forsee leagues having this affect, but man it's been really bad lately.

Mosthated
Dec 15, 2012
Brag post begin:

Just made Dusk in the Mystic Toilet. Only cost 30g. Sold for 780g.

Brag post over.

Mosthated fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 11, 2013

metacorder
Dec 7, 2007

last of the uplift gnarssh

Mosthated posted:

Brag post begin:

Just made Dusk in the Mystic Toilet. Only cost 30g. Sold for 780g.

Brag post over.

Congrats :golfclap:
gently caress you :argh:
Seriously, I'm jealous, but that is awesome!

Related: I have an IRL friend who quit the game shortly after karka event and has The Lover sitting in his bank. He offered to give it to me. Given the mats/skillpoints/worldcompletion/gold I have, I'd be ~75% of the way to making The Dreamer. I don't care about actually having a legendary, so I'd just craft it and sell it...

Do people actually buy The Dreamer on the TP? If so, is it worthwhile to craft and sell or am I better off just selling mats and precursor? Does anyone have experience with this?

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

Secret Sweater posted:

Our Server (Sanctum of Rall) was gung-ho about leagues until the matchup was more or less decided by the first match. The first week queue times were loving horrendous(1-2 hours) and the lag made playing pretty much impossible, which I'm sure everyone remembers fondly.

After that it's had the additional affect of making former WvW regulars not even want to play anymore because of how the fighting has changed. Last night during primetime NA we were outmanned on 2-3 BLs with a queue on one, which is basically unheard of. Getting open-field fights is a rarity since people are so focused on playing the PPT game and protecting their T3 assets.

I didn't really forsee leagues having this affect, but man it's been really bad lately.

Yep. My guild left JQ the first Saturday after leagues started. It depends a lot on your guild, but I think a lot of players and guilds would benefit from ditching their absurd idea of 'server loyalty'

Being able to play with our whole guild, on pretty much any map, any time, with no to minimal queue times is amazing. The top 3 servers are so caught up in ~fighting for their server~ it's a wonder they even enjoy the game anymore. It's unbelievable to me that we are over a year into this game and people are still caught up in this notion that being on the 'winning server' somehow makes you/your guild better. I really hope more guilds spread out when Season 2 comes around. The number of guilds that have died/are dying due to leagues and queue times is sad to see.

The one benefit of leagues as of now is being able to remain in gold league on underpopulated servers (SoS/Mag) and still fight against some of the better guilds that refuse to leave their server. Considering NA only has a handful of good open-field guilds (ONE, TW, Choo, EP, Agg, Ark, VR, NS...others I am forgetting I'm sure), it'd be really cool to see the lot of them all move to silver league or something... ~pipe dreams~

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
Yes, people buy legendaries off of the TP. The risk is that after you post it and pay the huge listing fee, you get immediately undercut by somebody/multiple people.

They're not a high volume thing though, so I would list for what you think is worth it then hope it sells quick, if it get buried just leave it up there for awhile it'll sell eventually.

^^ Edit: I'm in ONE. Moving to silver has been discussed, but there really is no elegant solution. None of us really have server loyalty as almost none of us are SoR natives, but even still there's definite drawbacks to moving anywhere. One of the larger being that we have euros with us who will run with us during NA, but also want something to do during non-NA. The top 3 are the only servers that have fights more or less 24/7. We aren't staying put because of ~server loyalty~ however. We go where the fights are.

Secret Sweater fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 11, 2013

Mosthated
Dec 15, 2012

metacorder posted:

Related: I have an IRL friend who quit the game shortly after karka event and has The Lover sitting in his bank. He offered to give it to me. Given the mats/skillpoints/worldcompletion/gold I have, I'd be ~75% of the way to making The Dreamer. I don't care about actually having a legendary, so I'd just craft it and sell it...

Do people actually buy The Dreamer on the TP? If so, is it worthwhile to craft and sell or am I better off just selling mats and precursor? Does anyone have experience with this?

People do buy the legendary weapons right off the TP. We have a fellow Goon who has bought several off them off the TP. What I would do is just sell the precursor and keep you mats. Why keep the mats? Well ascended armor will most likely use LOTS of t6 mats to craft (Speculation only). Thats if you plan to make the armor at all.

If you wanted to make the Dreamer and sell it it goes for 2200 gold right now. It will cost you around 1500 gold to make Dreamer (that includes buying the precursor and all the mats). So the most bang for your buck would be making the Dreamer and selling it vice selling the precursor and mats.

This is the website i used to get these numbers http://www.bravevesperia.com and http://www.gw2spidy.com

Edit: Last option would be give me the Lover and we will forever be BFFs.

Mosthated fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 11, 2013

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
If you do care about karma, skill points, or even badges, though, you might wanna just sell the precursor and mats. Crafting a legendary takes about 1 million karma, 339 skill points, and 500 badges. Also, you have to spend a minimum of 120 gold buying stuff that will otherwise be of no use (icy runestones and crafting recipes). Oh, and on that note you need two crafts at level 400.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I need We've for world completion so I figure I might as well make an honest attempt at the season 1 meta, is there a place I can check out to read about the current warrior pvp hotness?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Drilled Sausage posted:

I just spent all my gold on toxic dyes for my pretty princess. The results are... well:

Tron Guardian is a good look.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

metacorder posted:

You can give it to me! My ranger wants to shoot unicorns superbad!

Mosthated
Dec 15, 2012
People be angry in mumble and chat

Nothing but love!

sound_again
Jun 19, 2012
A bunch of us (mostly me) were bitching about the champs in the labyrinth and how we couldn't kill them now.

Someone at Stormbluff is trying to put together a zerg tonight at 9 est. I'll guest over to check it out and hope you will too!

sound_again fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 12, 2013

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mosthated posted:

People be angry in mumble and chat

Nothing but love!

Golems are tearing Maguuma apart.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
MaguumaWvW.jpg

edit: VVVVV I've been waiting a year for a promotion! Thanks!

J3ng4 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 12, 2013

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Just promoted you for that FYI.

Mosthated
Dec 15, 2012
Grimmwuulfe had the best comment!

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
All this animosity makes me afraid to try WvW.

Is every trip onto the battlefield a giant anti-SFD shitstorm?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

shymog posted:

All this animosity makes me afraid to try WvW.

Is every trip onto the battlefield a giant anti-SFD shitstorm?

All SFD has to do is show up and they rage at us. Luckily we love it and have thick skin.

But you're totally right to be wary, WvW is incredibly and disgustingly unfriendly to newbies these days. What if a new guy got in a golem thinking it would be fun and looked cool, and got raged at/blacklisted/given death threats? There is a pretty big problem in WvW right now and some pretty foul people being vocal in it.

New guy, come with Goon Squad or SFD guild groups (whichever one you're in) and turn off map chat/team chat. You will still have a great time.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
For those of you from different servers, Sinful Panda is one of Maguuma's glorious commanders. One night shortly after the gauntlet patch went live, I watched him try to kill Liadri for an hour straight whilst refusing to kill the orbs. I finally asked him why he refused to kill them and he just asked "Why? What do they do?"

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

New guy, come with Goon Squad or SFD guild groups (whichever one you're in) and turn off map chat/team chat. You will still have a great time.

Or leave it on and type reported* every few minutes.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I almost want to make a one man guild with an [SFD] tag named "Sabotaging Friendly Defenders" and go around WvW asking people to drop some golems for me.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Protip: If you really want to get map chat buzzing in WvW, follow Ark's zerg around for about 5 minutes and watch Tserazi start crying about scrubs and rally bait

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

CLAM DOWN posted:

All SFD has to do is show up and they rage at us. Luckily we love it and have thick skin.

But you're totally right to be wary, WvW is incredibly and disgustingly unfriendly to newbies these days. What if a new guy got in a golem thinking it would be fun and looked cool, and got raged at/blacklisted/given death threats? There is a pretty big problem in WvW right now and some pretty foul people being vocal in it.

I've already got a small chunk of retard rage because I'm reppin' SFD while wandering around and just doing random hearts/events.

Hell, doing the champ train in Queensdale somebody got incredibly ragey that I was using the flamethrower main attack on players because I was trying to alleviate boredom while waiting for a champ spawn.

My femnorn engineer just like burning things and I'm just RPing :cry:

Mosthated
Dec 15, 2012

whatis posted:

Protip: If you really want to get map chat buzzing in WvW, follow Ark's zerg around for about 5 minutes and watch Tserazi start crying about scrubs and rally bait

Then Tserazi will complain that nobody is in mumble and when people get in he goes to a locked channel with his "click."

sound_again
Jun 19, 2012
Like most online spaces, this game has no unifying culture that guides people on how to interact with each other.

SA and its guilds are generally exceptions. We joke a lot and generally feel comfortable while playing; we all learn to have thick skins and laugh.

Others aren't like this. Some players feel threatened by and afraid of other players, as when someone gets offended by a harmless flamethrower.

sound_again
Jun 19, 2012
A good 20 or so killing champs in Mad King labyrinth on Stormbluff Isle right now.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I really need to get my rear end to Magumma. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Initiative
Nov 6, 2013
Things certainly aren't looking up for the Labyrinth group on Stormbluff Isle at the moment. Hasn't been able to dent the Lich's health yet.

• Locked thread