Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Medieval Medic posted:

A little reminiscing about Downtown during their earlier years...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySZrExE5iX8

Did I see Arino in that video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
You did. Hamaguchi is to the right.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Itao Itsuji is in the front row as well.

ruttivendolo
Oct 31, 2010

by elpintogrande

Nipponophile posted:

Itao Itsuji is in the front row as well.

He turned 50 a few days ago. Congrats BlackJackRobocopItao!

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

ruttivendolo posted:

He turned 50 a few days ago. Congrats BlackJackRobocopItao!

Did you really mix up the effin Terminator with Robocop? Shame on you.

ffuok
Apr 7, 2007

Oh man I'm hungry.
The "everyone writes letters to Hamada about how much they appreciate him for his 50th birthday" thing never got subbed, did it?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

ffuok posted:

The "everyone writes letters to Hamada about how much they appreciate him for his 50th birthday" thing never got subbed, did it?

It's on somebody's plate but subs move very, very slowly so just forget about it and whenever it's out, it's out. Might be out by Christmas, might be out next summer, might be out before Labor Day, might never be out. Usually when a reliable group says they'll do it then it gets done but beyond that there's no telling what's being subbed before or if they have too much real life piling up and they can't sub or what.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Kiki Natto has been subbed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx-WJ2hg-b0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pt1LFzfr8M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKClIFqqVww

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I just finished watching Legal High over the past week and loved it. The only other j-drama I've seen was the first few episodes of Ashita ga Aru Sa. Can anyone recommend me another series similar to those two? By which I mean mostly comedic with exaggerated, memorable characters. Something with English subs available, too.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Nipponophile posted:

I just finished watching Legal High over the past week and loved it. The only other j-drama I've seen was the first few episodes of Ashita ga Aru Sa. Can anyone recommend me another series similar to those two? By which I mean mostly comedic with exaggerated, memorable characters. Something with English subs available, too.

I may have mentioned it earlier in this thread but I really recommend a show called "Kagi no Kakatta Heya". It's a mystery show where every murder victim is found in a locked room. The idea is that it usually looks impossible for the killer to have left the room after committing the murder. The killer is usually pretty obvious but it's more about figuring out how it was pulled off.

It has a similar feel to Legal High where you've got a neurotic genius, and a rookie hire over achiever type. It should be pretty easy to find and there's a lot of it on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDWU7US48Wk

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I've watched the first couple episodes of that now, and it seems OK. I'll probably finish it out, but I'm really looking for more of a comedy.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you like shows like Legal High that are half lighthearted comedy and half unnecessarily serious melodrama that's like 75% of dramas. A random list of things you could try: Trick, Nodame Cantabile, Bayside Shakedown, The Queen's Classrom, everything Kimura Takuya has ever been in.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Just start with the best and watch Tiger & Dragon.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oh also even though it's a detective show, the recent drama Monsters comes to mind as being very similar to Legal High in tone and setup (naive protagonist suddenly being forced to work with a brilliant but extremely quirky individual who has been unfairly shunned).

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 16, 2013

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
The second season of Legal High is starting in October too.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Are there any Japanese dramas of the same quality as top-tier American dramas like Breaking Bad or The Wire or whatever?

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Testicle posted:

Are there any Japanese dramas of the same quality as top-tier American dramas like Breaking Bad or The Wire or whatever?

The type of extremely high quality long form drama that American networks have put out over the past decade is kind of an aberration in media. It's been fed by the American movie industry pushing good original talent away into TV in order to create middle of the road wide appeal films and the huge foothold cable has had in America allowing for TV shows to have the high budgets needed to put out more "niche" uncompromised shows like The Wire, Mad Men, etc.

In other countries with big film industries, the government usually subsidizes film but not TV, which is why a lot of Japanese, Korean and European film is dynamic and high quality, but the TV is almost all shoestring budget reality and game shows. The BBC does a lot of good work in the UK in TV, but I can't really think of any other examples.

The closest TV thing I can think of is the anime Legend of Galactic Heroes which happens to be the only anime to earn a simulwatch here in TVIV. It is a really great long form piece with a large cast of fleshed out characters with underlying themes about society and politics and is unlike any other anime out there, both in terms of breadth, depth, and maturity.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I've been working my way through Ataru, where I caught this instance of failure to understand how American flags work.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Finished Ataru a bit ago, and now I'm watching Kagi no Kakatta Heya. Last night I got to the spider episode, which had quite possibly the stupidest murder gimmick I have ever seen in decades of watching and reading mysteries.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I have a question about dialect I guess. Been watching a lot of Downtown and Gaki No Tsukai. One of the things was in the Hospital Batsu game, the director's daughter attempted the Kansai dialect. Tanaka was probably at the forefront of saying "Don't use our dialect you're not good at it."

So is it just Comedians all tend to come from Kansai or just use it for comedic purposes?

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Oh man, that spider episode. I don't remember any particularly good episodes of that show, but the spider thing was a special bit of magic. :allears:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Zain posted:

So is it just Comedians all tend to come from Kansai or just use it for comedic purposes?

Not "all", but certainly a lot of them. The area is traditionally rich in comedians going back for decades, and the two biggest comedy talent agencies in the country are based in the area.

Their dialects and accents are frequently exaggerated for laughs. It's similar to guys like Jeff Foxworthy or Larry the Cable Guy here in the U.S. where they tend to play up their dialogue when on stage and in character.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

Not "all", but certainly a lot of them. The area is traditionally rich in comedians going back for decades, and the two biggest comedy talent agencies in the country are based in the area.

Their dialects and accents are frequently exaggerated for laughs. It's similar to guys like Jeff Foxworthy or Larry the Cable Guy here in the U.S. where they tend to play up their dialogue when on stage and in character.

Makes sense, would the Kansai dialect be equal or comparable to their (Jeff's and Larry's) southern accents then? Probably not since it's not like here.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
That's a pretty common comparison, and I've seen English dubs where they'll use a thick Southern accent for a character who speaks Kansai-ben. In my Japanese classes during college, we discussed the area and the culture with our instructor and came up with Texas as being a decent American comparison. Unique traditional cuisine, strong regional pride, a distinct dialect, and a reputation as salt of the earth blue-collar types are shared stereotypes of both places.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
So Legal High season 2 has started, and subtitles are out for the first episode.

I am approximately this excited:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Next Batsu game is No Laughing Earth Defense Force.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

FedoraDefender420 posted:

Getting gang banged by piles of gigantic spiders and ants is no laughing matter. I think theyll all win... but also lose.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

This year it will be 10 hours long and the finale has the gang trolly dashing through a maze of giant exploding sheds.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Oh man my brain can't even handle the possibilities of this right now aaaaaa.

EDF! EDF! EDF!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Is it wrong the first thing I was thinking was "So they're going to be playing a Video game? How's that going to work?" It took me longer than it should to realize that they have like a real life version huh?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I know nothing of the EDF video games, but a huge part of me is dreaming that they're going to be dressed up as Kamen Rider knockoffs for the entirety and I cannot wait.

There's a news article about it here for those of you who can read Japanese.
http://getnews.jp/archives/453210

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Google Translate and a lot of squinting (I know, not the most reliable of sources) make it seem like it might be "be a kid" is the theme? But, again, GT and squinting. gently caress if I know.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Allen Wren posted:

Google Translate and a lot of squinting (I know, not the most reliable of sources) make it seem like it might be "be a kid" is the theme? But, again, GT and squinting. gently caress if I know.
That's probably the "gaki" in "gaki no tsukai" that Google is making "kid". All that page says is that based on the image the theme is probably "Earth defense force".

mystes fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 13, 2013

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Oh, well, fair enough.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
Yeah the Gaki no Tsukai bits were probably messing up Google Translate. It's still not that bright.

Using my lovely, sub-par language skills, it looks like they briefly run down the batsu game concept and the fact that shooting and the announcement of the location is done in November every year.

Then there's some bits about discovering this year's theme, the picture leaked on the net, and obviously "Gaasuu Kurobikari Earth Defense Force" is written on the sign. I did note that Earth Defense Force is written "Chikyuu Boei Gun/地球防衛軍" the same way it's written in the title of the Earth Defense Force games in Japan. Not sure how genericized that term is in Japanese but I doubt it has anything to do with the games. Sort of like how so many variations of "United Earth Federation" appear in various animu.

Then they have a disclaimer that nothing has been confirmed, and wonder what the punishment goons will be wearing this year (I think).

I wonder what the hell kinds of things they'll get up to this year? :allears:

Arschlochkind fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 16, 2013

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

To be fair, people were crazy convinced it was gonna be a Nun/Church theme or some poo poo last year based on that leaked picture of the bus and it turned out to not be that at all. I'm looking forward to it in any case because I love Batsu games!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

If this means we get to see Masahiro Chono in a giant ant suit, I am 100% behind it.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

VogeGandire posted:

If this means we get to see Masahiro Chono in a giant ant suit, I am 100% behind it.

No, Yamasaki dresses up as a giant fly and then we hear a door slam, "GOD drat", and a large figure with a comically oversized swatter barges in.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Laputanmachine posted:

No, Yamasaki dresses up as a giant fly and then we hear a door slam, "GOD drat", and a large figure with a comically oversized swatter barges in.
Afterwards, it's Endo's turn to wear the fly costume and the group are led to an alien lair to meet one of their leaders (Matsuko Deluxe dressed a giant spider).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

chaos rhames posted:

I bet Matsumoto is going to have the most fun with this.