Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
treestump
Dec 20, 2004
what was David Coverdale to do?

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Lightning rod. When it's hit by lightning, it generates some power.

Kinetic Generator. When something falls on it (cow, gravel, TNT, etc.) or blows up near it, it generates some power based on how far it fell or how strong the blast was.

Thaumcraft taint generator. Generates power based on how tainted the area is or something. Leads to "fun."

Photosynthesis generator. You put a tree on top of it and it generates power based on how much leaf blocks are on the tree.

Attention generator. Generates power every time something looks at it.

Traveling generator. You place it in a minecart and it generates power based on how far it travels from its starting point. Bonus power for each biome it goes through.

Portal generator. Generates power based on how much portal blocks are in the area.

Communication generator. Generates some power each time something is said in chat.

Door generator. Attach a wooden, iron, or trap door on it, and it generates power each time it is opened or closed.

Popularity generator. Generates power periodically based on how much players are in the area.

Hoarder generator. Put items into it like an extremely large chest, and only hold one of each item and high value items give more power. To get the items back, you must destroy the generator.

I like the idea of an attention generator with an item slot, so you put it in a chicken hutch and slot a grass seed. Power from a room full of motionless zombie birds, woo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Why in the holy gently caress would pipes - pipes - require a constant power drain? Machines that constantly require power regardless of usage is bollocks anyway.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

PiCroft posted:

Why in the holy gently caress would pipes - pipes - require a constant power drain? Machines that constantly require power regardless of usage is bollocks anyway.

Well they used to explode if you hooked a machine up to them that was providing power without a machine that was drawing (constant power draw or splosion). So then CJ made it so they didn't explode, but the pipes themselves will consume power at all times (constant power draw or constant power draw).

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

Well they used to explode if you hooked a machine up to them that was providing power without a machine that was drawing (constant power draw or splosion). So then CJ made it so they didn't explode, but the pipes themselves will consume power at all times (constant power draw or constant power draw).

That's just silly. Taking out the exploding pipes is a good idea but having the pipes drain power just for existing is something I just don't get.

Is it looking like Forestry/BC are going to get dropped from future Tekkit/Technic?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Forestry was never in Tekkit. The only thing that I used BC for is a starter engine early game and then quarries and some transport pipes (transitioning to Logistics pipes) afterward.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
I think BC will continue to hang on as long as their are no popular replacement for quarries at a similar or lower tech level.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe

Hagop posted:

I think BC will continue to hang on as long as their are no popular replacement for quarries at a similar or lower tech level.

It'd be best to replace quarries with something similar but better - like the enderthermic pump in Extra Utilities is a thousand times better than the BC pump since it spotloads and minimizes nether lag by replacing lava source blocks with smoothstone.

A better quarry would be one that makes a smoothstone wall as it digs out and makes all lava sources into obsidian automatically. Use a UI option to start the top of the quarry at a specific Y level as well - that would allow digging under nice landscape - pipe the blocks up a 1 cube "pipe" to the quarry machine.

Really, that is basically the only block I tend to use in Buildcraft anymore. Build a better quarry with more lag-reduction features and BC can gently caress off.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Hagop posted:

Yeah, quarries are still the go-to solution for just strip-mining the hell out of an area. The only thing I know of that even comes somewhat close is TC's arcane bore, which requires a lot more work to make, and even with everything fully enchanted, only does 11-wide holes, and essentia jars require more work to keep stocked by the bore than power transmission to a quarry. (Although interestingly, mDiyo has said that the Tinker's Construct hammer is his answer to quarries.)

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

:parrot:

Serifina posted:

Yeah, quarries are still the go-to solution for just strip-mining the hell out of an area. The only thing I know of that even comes somewhat close is TC's arcane bore, which requires a lot more work to make, and even with everything fully enchanted, only does 11-wide holes, and essentia jars require more work to keep stocked by the bore than power transmission to a quarry. (Although interestingly, mDiyo has said that the Tinker's Construct hammer is his answer to quarries.)

There are also Engineer's Toolbox hushers, but those only dig a 3x3 hole and the water might be an issue lag-wise.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Republicanus posted:

It'd be best to replace quarries with something similar but better - like the enderthermic pump in Extra Utilities is a thousand times better than the BC pump since it spotloads and minimizes nether lag by replacing lava source blocks with smoothstone.

A better quarry would be one that makes a smoothstone wall as it digs out and makes all lava sources into obsidian automatically. Use a UI option to start the top of the quarry at a specific Y level as well - that would allow digging under nice landscape - pipe the blocks up a 1 cube "pipe" to the quarry machine.

Really, that is basically the only block I tend to use in Buildcraft anymore. Build a better quarry with more lag-reduction features and BC can gently caress off.

Totally, a quarry replacement should handle all liquids via replacement or removal, it should wall its self in as it digs, should only load the chunks the dig head and output box are in, should not over flow its output, and should have an option to auto back fill.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
My understanding is that denoflions is cooking up some familiar buildcraft concepts in an RF-compatible mod. I could theoretically see buildcraft going away in the new tekkit, but it's too soon to tell.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

My understanding is that denoflions is cooking up some familiar buildcraft concepts in an RF-compatible mod. I could theoretically see buildcraft going away in the new tekkit, but it's too soon to tell.

That would be cool. Honestly though, the only two things I like from buildcraft are oil and the pump, I can't think of anything else that I actually use. I actually mostly like railcraft though, despite CJ being tool, and I hope power converters gets an MJ to RF converter pretty quickly because of that.

Regardless, buildcraft is definitely on the way out, finally. 1.7 should be a good time for mods.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

BCs gate system is really cool as well, but I have a feeling that like no one knows about it so most people wont miss it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Hagop posted:

BCs gate system is really cool as well, but I have a feeling that like no one knows about it so most people wont miss it.

It is cool, but I wish it worked properly with more things. I tried to use a cobblestone structure pipe+gate to detect if a planter had potatoes in it (to keep the planter from sucking out all the potatoes from my AE system) and it thought it had stuff in it even when it was empty.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Gates are pretty cool, but the problem is that the majority of their uses exist only to deal with the shortcomings of BC pipes. And for using them separately from BC pipes takes up a bunch of space and usually doesn't give you much that other, better, pipe/fluid/power systems don't give you. That said, I'd love to see a mod in a similar vein that was just more flexible.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

McFrugal posted:

It is cool, but I wish it worked properly with more things. I tried to use a cobblestone structure pipe+gate to detect if a planter had potatoes in it (to keep the planter from sucking out all the potatoes from my AE system) and it thought it had stuff in it even when it was empty.

I have never used them for item state information just for the energy state stuff. Which seems to work fairly well.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Hagop posted:

Totally, a quarry replacement should handle all liquids via replacement or removal, it should wall its self in as it digs, should only load the chunks the dig head and output box are in, should not over flow its output, and should have an option to auto back fill.

I know the big dumb hole quarries leave are ugly, but c'mon, you can work around that. Why is there such a clamor for a quarry that doesn't dig a big dumb hole?

If I knew what I was doing (I don't and probably never will) I'd make a quarry that completely ignores gravel and has a one in eight chance to replace any block it digs up with gravel. That way the holes it dug out wouldn't end in bedrock, they'd end in rough, irregular piles of waste rock.

e: OooooOOOOooooh.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 12, 2013

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

I know the big dumb hole quarries leave are ugly, but c'mon, you can work around that. Why is there such a clamor for a quarry that doesn't dig a big dumb hole?

No this is needed to keep the quarry from hitting a source of water that is only half in the dig zone. Resulting it a quarry full of flowing water(and lag) even if the quarry is smartly removing all liquid source blocks with in its dig area.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe

Mystic Mongol posted:

He and I both meant the sealing up the sides. It remains a "big dumb hole" but eliminates the huge waterfalls of bullshit pouring in from the sides.
The reason you want those without openings is due to lag.
With it just making the sides contiguous, it eliminates a large headache for server admins.

For allowing the top layer to be under the landscape, it allows the open areas to be usable instead of just being a lag hell filled with lava and water. I prefer to make giant underground complexes anyways.

Republicanus fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 12, 2013

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Squirrelo posted:

The prepay on both the solder server and the webserver ran out and I didn't add more monies as I haven't had the time to maintain them. I suppose if someone could do so that would be awesome. I can throw up a zip version of the pack in the meantime if anyone wants that.

We don't need you anymore, go back to your PHD and mental breakdown.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Hagop posted:

No this is needed to keep the quarry from hitting a source of water that is only half in the dig zone. Resulting it a quarry full of flowing water(and lag) even if the quarry is smartly removing all liquid source blocks with in its dig area.

I'd like one that includes a bucket of water and lava in the recipe, then have it turn any adjacent water and lava into cobble and obsidian. That way you can still get the exposed tunnels, and get rid of the lag!

Hagop
May 14, 2012

senae posted:

I'd like one that includes a bucket of water and lava in the recipe, then have it turn any adjacent water and lava into cobble and obsidian. That way you can still get the exposed tunnels, and get rid of the lag!

Needs to handle liquids other than water, but I would be total ok with a system that just pens up flow-able blocks and does not fill all holes.

However buckets in recipes tend to be terrible from an automation stand point. Yes, currently AEs omega level autocraft system solve this and all other problems, but look to the cold desolate future moders where AE may not be updated to the current version of minecraft and don't put buckets in your recipes.

*edit: or rather buckets full of stuff.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
A few stacks of glass, and it blocks up any open/liquid squares adjacent to the drill but you can still see through all classy-style?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Serifina posted:

I dropped Buildcraft a while ago. I use mining Turtles instead of Quarries, they're cheaper and work just as well. No dumb power system to manage ether. I'm done with power in Minecraft, it's just so pointless all you end up using it for (besides making power generating infrastructure) is quarrying and macerating which I can do fine with Better Furnaces.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Rutibex posted:

I dropped Buildcraft a while ago. I use mining Turtles instead of Quarries, they're cheaper and work just as well. No dumb power system to manage ether. I'm done with power in Minecraft, it's just so pointless all you end up using it for (besides making power generating infrastructure) is quarrying and macerating which I can do fine with Better Furnaces.

I use power for quite a bit more, actually, but I don't blame you. Although I can't use a turtle to mine. I don't have computer craft and wouldn't know how to set up a turtle to do that in the first place.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

They come with a program that can do some basic tunneling.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Turtles can load code off of pastebin, so it's pretty simple to find someone who did a mining program and use it to replace quarries with something less destructive.

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

:parrot:

Mystic Mongol posted:

Turtles can load code off of pastebin, so it's pretty simple to find someone who did a mining program and use it to replace quarries with something less destructive.

Yeah, but you've got to be on a server that enabled the http API on ComputerCraft computers to do it, and it's off by default.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Limerick posted:

Yeah, but you've got to be on a server that enabled the http API on ComputerCraft computers to do it, and it's off by default.

That's not a problem. I run my own server, so if I were to do this, it wouldn't be a big deal. But I honestly do not like computer craft.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Force fields are sort of an alternative to quarries. Set them up with the things that make them break blocks and place them into an attached chest, power it, watch as it beams a hole of your desired size/shape. :science:

You can also use this technique to copy floating islands from mystcraft worlds and then paste them into other dimensions!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Light Gun Man posted:

Force fields are sort of an alternative to quarries. Set them up with the things that make them break blocks and place them into an attached chest, power it, watch as it beams a hole of your desired size/shape. :science:

You can also use this technique to copy floating islands from mystcraft worlds and then paste them into other dimensions!

Wait what? Could you explain how to do that second thing?

mechanicalFactory
Dec 24, 2011

I could calculate your chances of survival... but you won't like it.

McFrugal posted:

Wait what? Could you explain how to do that second thing?

You have to use the custom mode module.
You use the module in your hand to set two corners of a box of what you want to copy, and when it is set, you put it in the force field projector and it projects the field in the shape of whatever was in the defined area.
Then if you use the field stabilization module, it will replicate the area exactly, assuming you give the force field the resources to make the structures and terrain in the area.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Learn the depths of MC's bad code in IRC! Looks like Algo is already making tons of progress in the AE rewrite.

quote:

<@AlgorithmX2> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9117298/AE2/insanity.png
<@AlgorithmX2> I have a third cube now
<@AlgorithmX2> lol
<Techjar> still not enough
<@AlgorithmX2> well I could add a 4th, that would be 1m energy cells
<@AlgorithmX2> the filler is to slow for me
<@AlgorithmX2> even after I buffed it and made it use 1/1000 the power
<@AlgorithmX2> and made red stone engines output 900mj/t
<Techjar> pfft
<@AlgorithmX2> course thats mostly caue the filler was using 90% of the cpu
<@AlgorithmX2> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9117298/AE2/AE2_gridpreformance.png - this was taken wen I was building the second cube
<@AlgorithmX2> \o/
<@AlgorithmX2> in case its not apparent, adding 100's of energy cells a tick, uses less CPU then MC's animal spawner
<@AlgorithmX2> XD
<Techjar> is the appeng.helpers.TickHandler.tickEnd() all of the AE poo poo?
<@AlgorithmX2> yeah
<Techjar> it's doing nothing
<Techjar> basically nothing
<@AlgorithmX2> it jut looks like it ;)
<@AlgorithmX2> cause its that fast
<@AlgorithmX2> the filler on the top half is building 100's of energy cells a tick
<Techjar> it takes more CPU just to loving make a zombie walk forward
<@AlgorithmX2> there was at least 300k energy cells already in the network at that point

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

mechanicalFactory posted:

You have to use the custom mode module.
You use the module in your hand to set two corners of a box of what you want to copy, and when it is set, you put it in the force field projector and it projects the field in the shape of whatever was in the defined area.
Then if you use the field stabilization module, it will replicate the area exactly, assuming you give the force field the resources to make the structures and terrain in the area.

If you use the module that breaks the blocks and puts them into a chest, you can tear the island down and keep all it's component blocks, then move them to your desired location for re-assembly.

It takes a lot of time and power but yeah, it's something that does indeed work. You can also use this method to move mountains or whatever, or to program buildings you want multiple copies of, etc. I use it to build 9x9x8 tanks, for example.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Its a shame azanor keeps rebuilding Thaumcraft. I kind of miss its crazy pipe and liquid Vis system. I think a previous version had something similar to Runecraft where you put symbols on walls and could have an instant portal for example.

On the one hand its nice that it stays pretty tight and delivering core features as best as possible rather than tossing loads of features in that aren't fleshed out very well, but it also means having to relearn how the mechanics work for every version, something I find really irritating, and losing neat machines and mechanics is never good.

I'm very grateful he got rid of Taint though. As much as I was banging on about corruption-spreading stuff, generating a new world and then discovering the land near your base is naturally tainted and keeps spreading endlessly isn't that fun.

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

PiCroft posted:

Its a shame azanor keeps rebuilding Thaumcraft. I kind of miss its crazy pipe and liquid Vis system. I think a previous version had something similar to Runecraft where you put symbols on walls and could have an instant portal for example.

On the one hand its nice that it stays pretty tight and delivering core features as best as possible rather than tossing loads of features in that aren't fleshed out very well, but it also means having to relearn how the mechanics work for every version, something I find really irritating, and losing neat machines and mechanics is never good.

I'm very grateful he got rid of Taint though. As much as I was banging on about corruption-spreading stuff, generating a new world and then discovering the land near your base is naturally tainted and keeps spreading endlessly isn't that fun.

Newest version has pipes and stuff again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wex07eUbcxA

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

30.5 Days posted:

Thermal Expansion is going from being a BC standalone expansion to having its own power system entirely. Some changes were made to BC that requires pipes to always be drawing power out of consumers, at least a little bit. Skyboy found a way around it for MFR, but CJ has said it goes against his vision/balance/etc. and if too many people weasel around it, he'll just change it again I think. As soon as KL started telling people he was doing a power system people started signing up for it, because a lot of modders have been waiting for this moment ever since ThermEx went standalone, because KL is a well-respected modder and the main reason why so many people supported BC in the first place. To be honest, I sort of feel like this BC change just hastened the inevitable, but maybe KL would have been content to do BC forever without these changes.

I'll also be entirely dumping BuildCraft power from Big Reactors as soon as possible. The 1.6 BC changes make the API extremely onerous to use, and it was always a bit wonky. If folks want BuildCraft power bad enough, there's always some power conversion mods out there.

Lemming's system seems more sanely architected and, as a side bonus, sucks less for players. I'm big on making things Not Suck for players.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Gorfob posted:

Newest version has pipes and stuff again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wex07eUbcxA

Looks great, thanks. I'll have to wait till tekkit/big dig updates to use it though.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009

Erogenous Beef posted:

I'm big on making things Not Suck for players.
I just wanna say that after the tedium that was collecting tens of thousands of copper for Atomic Science's turbines, Big Reactors rules and you rule.

Also thanks, Hagop, I'd missed the shale gas block in the NEI screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Are they going to take away the cap for redstone energy cells with RF? And the cap of 100 using an energy tesserect? That was one thing I never liked about MJ was the 100mj cap in tesserects and trying to power forestry machines that would take a minimum amount of MJ but could take a lot more if it had access to it.

• Locked thread