Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Wow. I didn't know how long I'd waited for someone to reference the "Simpsons Sing the Blues" album I had as a kid until I listened to the beginning of the new Hollywood Handbook.

Also, I've LOVED every guest they've had so far but I am not enjoying this podcast. It makes "You Made It Weird" look structured and streamlined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

I do not understand you people

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah I loved today's episode. Paul Rust is basically the perfect guest for Hollywood Handbook

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
It's too subtle for some people I guess.

edit: the talent agencies bit was weird but it still had the winning H&S dynamic

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 13, 2013

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Nemo posted:

If you liked the "We figured it out" segments from Gelmania, then you'll like Hollywood Handbook.

This is the connection I've been trying to make through every Hollywood Handbook I've listened to so far. The tone is almost exactly the same.

There's supposed to be a new Gelmania soon and I can't wait :shobon:

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Reformed Pissboy posted:

This is the connection I've been trying to make through every Hollywood Handbook I've listened to so far. The tone is almost exactly the same.

There's supposed to be a new Gelmania soon and I can't wait :shobon:

Whatever happened with Gelmania? I know he left Earwolf to do Gelmania somewhere else, but that's all I've heard.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

The Ape of Naples posted:

Meh. I think I'm done with HH. The whole episode was pretty boring.

Uh, not that there's anything wrong with that

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Being bored and skimming twitter has finally paid off big time:

@twittels
"Bonus Analyze phish episode being recorded this weekend with @scharpling . Scott still editing the hollywood bowl episode."

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Awesome news times two. Was wondering what happened to that Hollywood Bowl trip. Scharpling has talked about Phish a fair bit before on his show (and with Nathan Rabin) and it's always goddamn funny.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Trujillo posted:

Being bored and skimming twitter has finally paid off big time:

@twittels
"Bonus Analyze phish episode being recorded this weekend with @scharpling . Scott still editing the hollywood bowl episode."

Looks like they dropped it today.

I haven't heard it yet, but I'm sure it's amazing. Tearing into bands/shows/whatever is Tom's specialty.

Kind of surprised they released this before the big concert episode.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I really liked it, since it was kind of back towards the original premise, only without Scott.

Although the dynamic felt different to me. Wittels and Scott seems like two buddies talking, with one of them razzing the other. Harris and Tom was more like...trying to explain your obsession with an older coworker.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Really great episode, although definitely helped by my huge love of Tom Scharpling (to the extent that I was slightly unnerved by his voice sounding marginally different than it normally does because Earwolf use different mics to WFMU).

Worst part of the show now is that is has made be somewhat of a Phish fan, so am now one of those people Harris complains about who gets annoyed by his choice of songs (Divided Sky was a solid choice though)

Re: above, this photo sums up the dynamic of the episode

GraPar fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 19, 2013

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
It's a really good show. Tom being a giant music nerd really changes the dynamic. It isn't just Scott goofing on Harris for being crazy into a silly band, as Tom gets to the heart as to why the songs are bad. His music criticism actually creates a good discussion. His bit about four different stages was astute and hilarious.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I had a moment during that Karini (sp?) where I was like "oh no... I dig this..."

Then Harris skipped ahead and the weird piano started losing me and that last skip to a happy tune put me back in dislike.

I am curious what would happen if they just did one full song, so it could actually progress rather than just feel disconnected.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I love how Harris played at least two songs that he already played for Scott. As if it's Scott and not the horrible, horrible songs. Tweezer....

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 19, 2013

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I absolutely lost it listening to I4H today when they flash to the camp and Adam McKay starts off with "OKAY, NOW EVERYONE SHUT THE gently caress UP!"

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

LMAO at Matt Besser bringing back the crazy New Yorker who hates bad trumpeting, not really for a scene, but just so he can call him a hero after giving it a week to consider it.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Adam McKay is great. I know you're supposed to "show, not tell" in improv but I love his expository scene building.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Maerlyn posted:

Adam McKay is great. I know you're supposed to "show, not tell" in improv but I love his expository scene building.
Hahaha yes he was great at it. I can definitely see how it could ruin a scene if anyone less talented did it though.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Besson posted:

It's a really good show. Tom being a giant music nerd really changes the dynamic. It isn't just Scott goofing on Harris for being crazy into a silly band, as Tom gets to the heart as to why the songs are bad. His music criticism actually creates a good discussion. His bit about four different stages was astute and hilarious.
My fvorite parts were Tom's groans whenever Harris played the first 45 seconds of a song, then went "ok, now skip ahead to 17:20" to the enginner.

"It's like they're a basketball team filled with nothing but Stephon Marburys!"

"Yes Harris, Jack Johnson the surfer guy. He produced a Miles Davis album when he was two years old. It's a really hot jam between Miles Davis and The Special Sauce."

And yeah, having someone there who can actually articulate why Phish sucks instead of just making fun of Harris for being obsessed with them made the show a million times better.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Good I4H this week, but I especially liked hearing Adam McKay's side of the story about Jim Breuer leaving SNL. I always like hearing about SNL's inner workings and McKay's storyis a lot more reasonable than what Breuer's said over the years.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
For the past two weeks I've really not gotten into Hollywood Handbook. I didn't feel like paying attention to the bits and the interviews seemed more awkward than anything. Then today I heard Sean sarcastically say "I almost picked that one I swear" and fell in love all over again. Good episode with a good guest I'd never heard of.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
It's probably the best episode so far. I really enjoyed it. The movie ideas and Jimmy Carter segments were great.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Awww yeaaah, I4H Live from Bumbershoot Part 2! Amazing episode when the 3 MVP guests join Besser. And it wouldn't be Bumbershoot without an annoying drunk in the audiene, but at least she doesn't completely derail it.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Zsinjeh posted:

Awww yeaaah, I4H Live from Bumbershoot Part 2! Amazing episode when the 3 MVP guests join Besser. And it wouldn't be Bumbershoot without an annoying drunk in the audiene, but at least she doesn't completely derail it.

The vague protesters sketch was a highlight.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

tnimark posted:

The vague protesters sketch was a highlight.

The person in the audience yelling angrily "LOOK UP WHAT RESEARCH MEANS!" was the best. Do they really think that's an adequate explanation of their cause? Research is what I do and I have no idea what they were talking about.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I4H supremacy. That episode was amazing throughout, which isn't a surprise with a powerhouse lineup like Meadows, Sanz and Huskey.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

The person in the audience yelling angrily "LOOK UP WHAT RESEARCH MEANS!" was the best. Do they really think that's an adequate explanation of their cause? Research is what I do and I have no idea what they were talking about.
I have no idea what that guy was trying to say. What kind of joke was it suppose to be? Or was he legit angry and knew what they were protesting but still can't answer in a non-vague way? Laffo

I also liked the drunk lady shouting out "Research it!" (an actual pretty fun callback from a drunken audience member) when Tim Meadows was trying to understand the plot to Air Force One was but they somehow thought she said "tree surgeon" which was great.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I was debating buying a 3ds and the new Pokemon game, then I heard Besser's and Meadows' reaction to the Pokemon girl. It gave me the reality check I needed.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I was debating buying a 3ds and the new Pokemon game, then I heard Besser's and Meadows' reaction to the Pokemon girl. It gave me the reality check I needed.

Hmm, I thought the Pokemon person sounded awesome and Besser and Meadows were just being old dudes. I may be on the wrong side of this, but I'll let history decide.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Hmm, I thought the Pokemon person sounded awesome and Besser and Meadows were just being old dudes. I may be on the wrong side of this, but I'll let history decide.

All it took was the question of why? I had no answer better than her's and I do enough things to waste my time.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

I'm not against Pokémon or anything, but why is it awesome to suggest it as something to build an improv scene off of to 4 guys in their mid-to-late 40s? What person in that age range is going to have a good Pokémon story?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I'm a huge pokemon nerd/sperglord but it was a dumb suggestion.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I just liked her attitude. She was very upbeat.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

What happened to that cat podcast with Michael Showalter?

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
It's still coming: http://earwolf.com/show/cat-matters
He's taking calls on the 9th. I'll definitely give the show a try because I love Michael Showalter but a call-in show about cats sounds awful to me.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Greggy posted:

It's still coming: http://earwolf.com/show/cat-matters
He's taking calls on the 9th. I'll definitely give the show a try because I love Michael Showalter but a call-in show about cats sounds awful to me.

That was November 9th.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

That was November 9th.

He was on Hollywood Handbook this week talking about the show so it's still coming out. He mentioned that Marc Maron is the first guest.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

That was November 9th.

Oh, ha, sure enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

The Ape of Naples posted:

He was on Hollywood Handbook this week talking about the show so it's still coming out. He mentioned that Marc Maron is the first guest.

Everything you hear on Hollywood Handbook is 100% true.