Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think you have a new goal.

From BaT / eBay

I'll take a dozen of them along with the matching carry case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think you have a new goal.

From BaT / eBay

Oh. My. God. It all makes sense now. I have achieved enlightenment.
Im so sorry for not seeing it before.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Why in the name of all that is holy did any car built after 1950 come with 12" wheels?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Because they're adorable that's why. Had a smart car park behind me yesterday, it takes some effort to make a smart car look gigantic.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

veedubfreak posted:

Why in the name of all that is holy did any car built after 1950 come with 12" wheels?

Actually wheel size went smaller on most cars post war. They only started getting bigger again around the late 70s/early 80s

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

13 INCH DICK posted:

Because they're adorable that's why. Had a smart car park behind me yesterday, it takes some effort to make a smart car look gigantic.

I have an irrational hatred for Smart cars. Having valet parked a number of them, I would have to rank the Smart car as the worst driving experience, not including shitbuckets with broken/greasy/smelly everything. The seat is hard and flat, the gear selector is so low and far away it feels like it is mounted on the ground, the transmission lurches and shakes like a 16 year-old that just learned to drive a stick shift, the engine rattles and vibrates like a paint shaker, and it is NA diesel Benz-level slow.

After all that compromise, you would think that great gas mileage would be part of the payoff, but it gets mid-to-high 30s on average. I'd take a 20 year-old Civic or Corolla over a Smart car every day and twice on Sunday. It has zero redeeming qualities outside of being easy to park. I can't imagine the level of self-loathing it would take to own one.

Sorry about the rant. Like I said, irrational hatred.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

bandman posted:

I have an irrational hatred for Smart cars. Having valet parked a number of them, I would have to rank the Smart car as the worst driving experience, not including shitbuckets with broken/greasy/smelly everything. The seat is hard and flat, the gear selector is so low and far away it feels like it is mounted on the ground, the transmission lurches and shakes like a 16 year-old that just learned to drive a stick shift, the engine rattles and vibrates like a paint shaker, and it is NA diesel Benz-level slow.

After all that compromise, you would think that great gas mileage would be part of the payoff, but it gets mid-to-high 30s on average. I'd take a 20 year-old Civic or Corolla over a Smart car every day and twice on Sunday. It has zero redeeming qualities outside of being easy to park. I can't imagine the level of self-loathing it would take to own one.

Sorry about the rant. Like I said, irrational hatred.

No, that sounds pretty rational.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I always had a simple philosophy on smart cars: If i wanted a car, and lived in the middle of a walled city designed for horses and buggies at best, i would consider one.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I always had a simple philosophy on smart cars: If i wanted a car, and lived in the middle of a walled city designed for horses and buggies at best, i would consider one.

I would opt for the horse, honestly. The ride would be smoother and your rear end would hurt less.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'd get a Toyota iQ instead, it's ever so slightly larger and an infinitely better car for it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
There's a point where both practicality and self-dignity say to just ride a scooter.

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010
Or to preserve more of your dignity, save the $14k you would spend on a Smart and spend it on a nice bike.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That is not a car, that is a lunchbox. (With apologies to achmed the dead terrorist...)

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
My step father bought a smart car to commute from southern utah for his construction jobs. Despite my best efforts, I could not convince him what a terrible idea that was.

"CITY DRIVING!! CARGO ROOM FOR YOUR GODDAMN MASONRY TOOLS!! SAFETY!! REPAIR COST!!"
But alas, he's an "apple person" and an end of the world "prepper" and my sound advice fell upon deaf ears.

He totaled it while parking on a job site when a rock took out his oil filter, which hangs down about 5 inches lower than the rest of the car. Now he drives a Subaru.

DrPain fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 14, 2013

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

MattD1zzl3 posted:

No, you wouldn't. If you lived in a city you would prefer car sharing, scooters, public transport and walking 10 miles in icy rain as they are all infinitely better options.

I have driven a Smart on a cross-country tour because my ex-girlfriend had one. It is difficult to describe just how terrible that car was. Jamming a rusty spoon down your urethra would likely be more pleasant than that.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I drove an electric smart car as a rental from car2go and thought it was pretty cool, though it had a limiter set at 65mph.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Well, that's the second generation model which is comparatively better to drive than the first generation one I drove (though still terrible) and the electric version doesn't have the infuriating gearbox the diesel and petrol versions have. That right there is a huge plus.

Betacord
Mar 24, 2013

7 DAYS / 1 PROGRAM
As a MK1 Accord owner, I can only say good luck in terms of finding 4x120 rims of any description (sorry you can't have mine, need them to drive it).

If it's any consolation, aftermarket ones turn up Yahoo Auctions Japan frequently, often very cheap due to the limited market and the offsets and what-not are more-or-less guaranteed as they'll have been designed to go on old Hondas. You'd need to go through a broker though (there's a few services will do it nowadays) and even the cheapest ground shipping will near-definitely run to more than the rims themselves. If you look at the price all-in, it can still be worth it sometimes.

You could be a hero: http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p359973958

Ultimately though most people seem to go for the 4x100 conversion route and I can't really blame them.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
There's an '82 civic at the pick n pull with a 5 speed, brand new CV axles, the front hubs, rims, everything I would need for a 5 speed/4x100 swap in one place and I'm broooooooke

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

13 INCH DICK posted:

There's an '82 civic at the pick n pull with a 5 speed, brand new CV axles, the front hubs, rims, everything I would need for a 5 speed/4x100 swap in one place and I'm broooooooke

Get it as soon as you get some money, it's not like anyone else is going to need that poo poo, that's the nice thing about old econoboxes.

When a Miata shows up at the local pnp it's stripped in 2.2 seconds :argh:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

13 INCH DICK posted:

I'm broooooooke

Time to smoke some P'n'P nug for :10bux:?

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
If we can kickstarter some hick's non-existant hot dog stand, we should be able to fund a goon's self-destructive car hobby.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

leica posted:

Get it as soon as you get some money, it's not like anyone else is going to need that poo poo, that's the nice thing about old econoboxes.

When a Miata shows up at the local pnp it's stripped in 2.2 seconds :argh:

Honda anything is stripped to the bone before the forklift puts it on the ground here. Once I saw two auction-car-flipper looking guys fight over who was going to be first to get inside a rusty EF.

Toyotas and Nissans seem to hit the crusher almost completely intact.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah maybe for EF Civics, but I don't ever see the older Civics like 13"s around, I think he's safe for awhile.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Ran into something neat while getting lunch, this guy looked at my car on Craigslist before I swooped it up.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I always think of bruce willis running over ving rahmes when you post pictures of your car.:black101:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

SouthsideSaint posted:

I always think of bruce willis running over ving rahmes when you post pictures of your car.:black101:

Man I never even put two and two together, good call. All I can think of is Bruce riding that clutch like a mofo.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

13 INCH DICK posted:

If I want to upgrade to 13s I have the choice of '76-79 Accord rims or converting my front knuckles to 2nd gen civic and also making a hybrid 1st gen inner/2nd gen outer CV axle and redrilling my rear drums. The accord rims should be easy to find right? :v:

Basset or Diamond Racing might have or be able to build wheels for you.

Yep. SC series steelies with round holes. 13x5.5 is as small as they go, and you just fill in the bolt pattern. $70/ea., though.
http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/index.php/street-wheels/sc-series

Mini-stock wheels are the same price, and definitely have 4x120 available, according to the description.
http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/index.php/racing-wheels/mini-stock-series

Or, for the low, low price of $995 = $120 shipping, you could have these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAYASHI-RAC...4095b40&vxp=mtr

There are also wheel adapters, depending on how much you fear/loathe those.

This is almost as much fun as finding 4x110mm BC wheels for first-gen RX-7s.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

13 INCH DICK posted:

Pull everything and stuff it in the back of the shittiest vehicle you can find that won't get crushed for a while, pile filthy carpet, floor mats, and old seat cushions on top of your pile. Write WARNING: INFESTED WITH HORNETS on the side in grease pencil. Disable all external door handles, lock the doors, close them.

Come back in 3 weeks, pop a window, and buy the parts.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

Pull everything and stuff it in the back of the shittiest vehicle you can find that won't get crushed for a while, pile filthy carpet, floor mats, and old seat cushions on top of your pile. Write WARNING: INFESTED WITH HORNETS on the side in grease pencil. Disable all external door handles, lock the doors, close them.

How many times have you done this? Because it's genius.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's a combination of methods I've used (hide poo poo under poo poo in lovely cars) and methods I've come up with or had suggested, but not had the opportunity to use yet.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Ken has thrown car parts in the forest surrounding a junkyard in order to keep them away from the undeserving.

I just put parts for one car in a freshly-arrived different brand of car if I'm not sure or can't take it with me that day. There's always lots of Cavaliers rotating in.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ghost Farts posted:

If we can kickstarter some hick's non-existant hot dog stand, we should be able to fund a goon's self-destructive car hobby.

KozmoNaut posted:

A 13" dickstarter? :v:

Like I said I'm game. I mean this man smoked a loving owl pellet for us. I think that shows he's committed.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

At the very least, it shows that he should have been committed a long time ago :v:

I'm in for :10bux:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

This can only end well.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

Haha

projunkyardtechniques.txt

anime sarah palin
Oct 12, 2013

by Pipski

13 INCH DICK posted:

If I want to upgrade to 13s I have the choice of '76-79 Accord rims or converting my front knuckles to 2nd gen civic and also making a hybrid 1st gen inner/2nd gen outer CV axle and redrilling my rear drums. The accord rims should be easy to find right? :v:

You're in California, aren't you?

Because if so, you're in luck. That's about the only place you'd find them. Those cars caught on there a lot harder than anyone else.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Washington for the past 3 years now, and oddly enough there's still a (relative) ton of mk1 and 2 Hondas around here.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
There is a good Honda yard up in Snohomish. I go there with my friend to get parts for his 81 Accord. They have around 10 1g Civics over there, not sure how many are 1200s though. Here's a map link to get there. http://goo.gl/maps/DSGqn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

13 INCH DICK posted:

Washington for the past 3 years now, and oddly enough there's still a (relative) ton of mk1 and 2 Hondas around here.

poo poo has it been that long? I remember when moving north in your Corolla or whatever it was was new and exciting territory.

• Locked thread