Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How fast do you guys rush satellites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

So training roulette is awesome, but I have now reached a decisive moment with my corporal assault. Do I take low profile or extra conditioning....

gatesealer fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 14, 2013

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

WYA posted:

I follow the 5 sat at the end of the first month build order religiously, and try to maintain +1 uplink per month from there until full coverage.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

WYA posted:

M1: 1 satellite (2/2)
M2&3: Uplink + 3 satellites (5/5 followed by 8/8)
M4: You best have a Nexus ready around now (14/14)
M5: Finish up the last 2

Is my go-to path for satellite cover in classic. I haven't bothered with Impossible where losing countries is simply part of the game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What the christ.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Doctor Schnabel posted:

That's a bit disappointing. Are any of the new variables interesting, at least? I take it alien progression didn't make it in there, yeah?
I don't know, yet, as my mod (Implassic) doesn't require me to scrutinize the variables in detail. I assume over upcoming weeks people will post details on new variables in the nexusmods forums.

You can find all the ini files in this folder in you Steam directory:
...\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\XComGame\Config\

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sardonik posted:

I follow the 5 sat at the end of the first month build order religiously, and try to maintain +1 uplink per month from there until full coverage.

This is probably the way to do it. More than this and you spend too much money that you need for other things; less than this and you never get the money you need for other things, plus panic will spiral out of control.

Since adjacent satellite uplinks give you +3 satellite slots each, if your goal is just to lock down continents from abduction panic you could focus on the smaller continents like Africa or the Americas. If your goal is to selectively use satellites as anti-panic buttons you can handle it that way too I guess, but you won't get continental bonuses any time soon. It's all situational. Since no two games are alike there's no totally optimal way of doing this.

I'm finding South America really pays for itself now, since you get a lot more goodies for alien autopsies. You probably also should think about researching live capture sooner because I swear the beam weapons and such are much harder to research this time around; the live captures cut your research time in half.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

SynthOrange posted:

What the christ.

If that bothers people then I've got a story about a man named Straker that involves some S.H.A.D.O. operatives to tell them.

It goes a bit like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjaAiwro-og

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Speedball posted:

I'm finding South America really pays for itself now, since you get a lot more goodies for alien autopsies. You probably also should think about researching live capture sooner because I swear the beam weapons and such are much harder to research this time around; the live captures cut your research time in half.

Yup. As soon as I finished beam weapons and saw the next set of research time I said gently caress that and started going for arc/captures. A South America start with an emphasis on unlocking gene poo poo instantly must be fun to do.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Kasonic posted:

So after losing an entire game to one misclick (double-tap 5 wasn't Hunker Down on that class, it was toss a grenade at your feet, there goes the bomb timer), and now my only non-rookies over two missions, twice to Sectoids dodging two overwatches to crit a full health guy in full cover. Yeah, maybe one Ironman Classic run was enough for a lifetime.

That was something I was hoping they would fix. The first 4 skills should always be fire, reload, overwatch, and hunker down. Just grey them out if they aren't available, but make 1-4 hard bound to those skills on every single soldier. After that, they can put in grenades, medkits, and armor/class specific skills. But 1-4 should never change under any circumstances for anyone.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Zore posted:

They at least get a lot of neat upgrades now!

That MECs can get better versions of earlier, faster and 'cheaper' (XP versus research and money). And some just straight up apply to both of them.

Still, having auto-overwatch, self healing, flying and suppression on the highest base damage weapons you can get isn't bad. And they can fill in for a high level trooper now. Still, I would kill for a seventh slot that's just dedicated to SHIVs, and for more cool SHIV upgrades. They really need to be cheaper and more available if they're going to be so gated.

Alternatively: they don't loving cost Meld. If you go for a gene-therapy heavy game, the SHIVs are a godsend because that doesn't leave much Meld left for your MECs.

Edit: heck, since many upgrades also affect MECs, they're good then too.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So I am at the end of the game and have a max psy level soldier but they are only a Lt. Do they need to be a colonel to use the gallop chamber?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Does the UK count as a country not in Civ 5? (since it's England and Celts in that)

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

M1: 1 satellite (2/2)
M2&3: Uplink + 3 satellites (5/5 followed by 8/8)
M4: You best have a Nexus ready around now (14/14)
M5: Finish up the last 2

Is my go-to path for satellite cover in classic. I haven't bothered with Impossible where losing countries is simply part of the game.
I used to be all about the month 1 extra nexus plus satellites setup pre-expansion. With the addition of mecs and gene mods though, I think I am leaning more towards a less demanding setup like this. I like the ability to get a genetitics/cybernetics lab up the first month.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How do you get the ability to get more engineers?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

cheesetriangles posted:

So I am at the end of the game and have a max psy level soldier but they are only a Lt. Do they need to be a colonel to use the gallop chamber?

They need to be wearing Psi Armor, I don't know if they need to be a high rank though.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

WYA posted:

Get them from missions, or build some workshops.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
My primary MEC has the nickname 'Marvin'. Someone, somewhere, in engineering is laughing their dorky head off.

WYA posted:

Build workshops or hope for abduction rewards!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Veotax posted:

They need to be wearing Psi Armor, I don't know if they need to be a high rank though.

Any psi-capable soldier wearing the psi suit can do it, even a squaddie (never tried a rookie).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Are gas grenades worth using over frags?

Also my heavy is now referred to as Strobe. I imagine this is because of all the bullets flying everywhere from her lmg. Most of them hit the air!

e: I love how the news reports in the situation room have changed from "vague rumors of alien activity, say crazies" to "holy poo poo aliens are attacking us" and "why aren't our governments fighting the alien menace???" And that's at two and three panic. Chill out guys I got this.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 14, 2013

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

poptart_fairy posted:

Build workshops or hope for abduction rewards!

I cant build workshops for some reason

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

SynthOrange posted:

What the christ.

Oh my goodness, a reference to another Firaxis game. Whatever shall we do?

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor
Holy crap are fully upgraded MEC troopers powerful but you pretty much pour everything into them. Doesn't really matter though when they are sniper, heavy and support all rolled into one. If they gave MECs Lightning Reflexes, then there's your legit god character right there.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

WYA posted:

You need a certain number of engineers to unlock building workshops. Either put satellites over a country that will give you engineers at the end of the month or (much more likely), get engineers as an abduction mission reward.

Its almost always worth it to take engineers as the reward for the first abduction mission, no matter where the other ones are.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

WYA posted:

You need to get an engineer from somewhere else to unlock them. Either mission rewards or council report rewards.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

gatesealer posted:

... with my corporeal assault...

It would be much cooler to have an incorporeal assault.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SeaTard posted:

That was something I was hoping they would fix. The first 4 skills should always be fire, reload, overwatch, and hunker down. Just grey them out if they aren't available, but make 1-4 hard bound to those skills on every single soldier. After that, they can put in grenades, medkits, and armor/class specific skills. But 1-4 should never change under any circumstances for anyone.

Agreed. Hotkeys are sort of useless if you have no control over which action is tethered to which key, the actions change from soldier to soldier, and occasionally the actions shift around, even on the individual soldier. If I have to cautiously examine every hotkey's function every time I want to do something, it defeats a lot of the purpose of a hotkey.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Brainamp posted:

Oh my goodness, a reference to another Firaxis game. Whatever shall we do?

Complain about how it's immersion breaking bullshit that adds nothing to the game?

[because it is]

The exalt base is in a location where you can find the crisp refreshing taste of an ice cold Pepsi. Drink Pepsi.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Heliotic posted:

Complain about how it's immersion breaking bullshit that adds nothing to the game?

[because it is]

The exalt base is in a location where you can find the crisp refreshing taste of an ice cold Pepsi. Drink Pepsi.

That clue doesn't help when I can enjoy the refreshing taste of an ice cold Pepsi Cola wherever I go, thanks to their convenient resealable bottles! Now if you had said "RC Cola", we could really narrow down the location.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That clue doesn't help when I can enjoy the refreshing taste of an ice cold Pepsi Cola wherever I go, thanks to their convenient resealable bottles! Now if you had said "RC Cola", we could really narrow down the location.

You can only unlock the convenient resealable bottles through a foundry upgrade :colbert:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

All I know about Civ 5 is that you can play America, Egypt and Babylon in it. Maybe.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Heliotic posted:

[because it is]

Exalt liking Pepsi wouldn't be immersion breaking as only horrible people drink Pepsi.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

SynthOrange posted:

All I know about Civ 5 is that you can play America, Egypt and Babylon in it. Maybe.

While I haven't gotten there, I'm pretty sure the lead designer said that the UI marks up countries ruled out by the clues automatically so you don't actually have to know them and it just seems like harmless flavor.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So, uh, confirmed. Vahlen is a psychopath who knows how to interrogate humans as well. :catstare:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
27 hours til the game unlocks...but in the meantime I was busy and found this gem in the .ini. Seems the flamethrower will be very easy to adjust....burn....everything must burn...:flame:

[XComGame.XGAction_FireCustom_Flamethrower]
SweepAngle=60 ;The angle in degrees formed between the leftmost facing of a sweep and the rightmost facing
Range=8 ;Range of the flame thrower in tiles
NumSweeps=1 ;(Cosmetic) The number of times the unit will sweep the firing flamethrower back and forth over the target
SweepFullCircle=False ;(Cosmetic) Specifies the type of motion the sweep will have
ChanceToSetFire=0.00 ;A value between 0.0 and 1.0 that specifes the likelyhood that an environmental fire will be set
FireProcessingInterval=1.2 ;Time in seconds between processing which tiles should be set on fire. Higher frequency produces more tiles on fire
FireChance_Level1=1.0 ;The FireChance_XXX variables define the relative chance that environmental fires will use the various levels of fire
FireChance_Level2=0.3 ;The FireChance_XXX variables define the relative chance that environmental fires will use the various levels of fire
FireChance_Level3=0.2 ;The FireChance_XXX variables define the relative chance that environmental fires will use the various levels of fire
LengthUpdateSpeed=0.1 ;This parameter controls the speed at which the length of the flame effect will grow / shrink to compensate for collisions (0.0 - 1.0)

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

So, uh, confirmed. Vahlen is a psychopath who knows how to interrogate humans as well. :catstare:

Ya I tazed and Xalt guy to see what would happen :staredog:

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Hmm, on the modding front I found EXALT behavior settings for the Geoscape tied to the game's difficulty, but these settings are not in the DefaultGameCore.ini file. Instead these settings are in the file DefaultGameData.ini.

Does anyone know if DefaultGameData is read locally from the config folder, or are those parameters embedded in a UPK file? I did not see the DefaultGameData embedded in the EW executable file.

@ Uberjumper, I sent you this same question on the nexusmods forums.

EDIT: Uberjumper and I tested and affirmed this DefaultGameData.ini file will take overrides to gameplay.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 14, 2013

Ataru13
Jul 28, 2005

...Packing Space-Age Shit!
Have they ever revealed the characters for Zhang's name? I can't not read it as Ms. Zhang; though that is kind of funny.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Hammerstein posted:

27 hours til the game unlocks...but in the meantime I was busy and found this gem in the .ini. Seems the flamethrower will be very easy to adjust....burn....everything must burn...:flame:

Unlock it now through a VPN - it takes about 2 minutes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

nnnotime posted:

I don't know, yet, as my mod (Implassic) doesn't require me to scrutinize the variables in detail. I assume over upcoming weeks people will post details on new variables in the nexusmods forums.

You can find all the ini files in this folder in you Steam directory:
...\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\XComGame\Config\
Oh, I know where to find it, I just can't look, as I haven't bought the expansion yet. I suppose I should take the plunge, the other features sound pretty great

• Locked thread