Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

coffeetable posted:

use your browsing history to train a markov chain/decision tree/neural network/whatevs to predict the next website you'll visit

here i wrote one

code:
return "http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=219";

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bream
Feb 3, 2013

Farmer's Barket
my real objective is to reduce the amount of web that i browse. i'm hoping that the possibility of someone viewing a page and judging me for clicking on low quality ars articles or whatever will prevent me from doing so in the first place. also gamification w.r.t. amount of data transferred, time spent browsing, etc. i'm having a hard time coming up with a way to determine from stateless data how long a 'browsing session' as it were lasted, so if anyone has any bright ideas on that, i'd love to hear them.

markov chains might be kind of interesting, though. what would be kinda neat would be to use the model created thus to continue browsing on my behalf so that anyone ostensibly monitoring the connection wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

just make it show a yospos indicator based on how much of your browsing is yospos or pos approved sites like apple.com.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i broke apart a keyboard to get to the sweet sweet innards nowi have a little thing that is a usb ctrl alt shift buttons and thats it

works nice connected the parts with hot glue

Bream
Feb 3, 2013

Farmer's Barket

ACanofPepsi posted:

i broke apart a keyboard to get to the sweet sweet innards nowi have a little thing that is a usb ctrl alt shift buttons and thats it

works nice connected the parts with hot glue

Is that for 3ds max or photoshop or something?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
photoshop and zbrush

is there a post ur actually good software thrdead here? goddamn every time zbrush gets updated theres great new poo poo and p much never a bad update/

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
made it this far this time

fig 1. can't remember what the initial conditions were here, but they were p. gnarly

before realising id owned myself with early design decisions.

time to start over. once more with feeling

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
so lets say i want to learn microcontroller stuff. i cannot program anything, i havent soldered anything since high school, and i have a very limited knowledge of electronics. but i've got a heart of gold, and a dream.

do i:

a) buy an arduino uno and use the arduino ide and its associated libraries?

or

b) buy an atmega32 and a programmer and use winavr?

or

c) kill my are self?

i ask because, while i know arduino is much simpler, i feel like i'd learn a lot more and become a lot more proficient if i learned to live without it. my ultimate goal is to be able to learn smd and dfm stuff so i can actually build and design a device that could, theoretically, be mass-produced if i wanted it to.

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

depends, what are you trying to actually do

imo its more important to Do the Thing in the easiest way possible, and if its actually cool and/or successful you could spend the time replacing the arduino with a purpose-built thing

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Socracheese posted:

depends, what are you trying to actually do

i'm still stuck on the idea of a sous vide immersion circulator, which i raved about on this thread months ago.

i guess, if forced to really set a goal, id say that id like to design and build one that cold be mass-manufactured. not really cause i want to sell it or actually mass-produce it, but because i find smt and dfm really interesting, at least from what ive learned of them so far.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
and i guess i want to learn c or c++ in the process. i dont exactly know what i mean by "learn" tho, tbh.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Bream posted:

i'm doing this thing where i'm creating a wireless ap out of a raspberry pi and from it an openvpn tunnel to my place of work so that all of my personal traffic will travel through the openvpn server at work.

on this server i plan to run some kind of pcap stuff to gather information about my network usage, web browsing habits, etc., but i can't think of anything really interesting to do with it. my first idea was to create a web page that had graphs, and call it nsaid. a friend also suggested using twitter to create a realtime broadcast of my browser history, but that seems like it would be interesting for about two minutes.

anyone have any ideas for something interesting?

Display stats on which sites you visit, how much time you spend inter netting and everything you ever type into any text box using Dashing

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

WorkingPeer posted:

so lets say i want to learn microcontroller stuff. i cannot program anything, i havent soldered anything since high school, and i have a very limited knowledge of electronics. but i've got a heart of gold, and a dream.

figure out a thing you want to do, sous vide thingy is good since you can find a bunch of info on it on the internet if you need to

buy a arduino and do it

then do another project or two

then once you feel like youve got that down buy an msp430 launchpad and do some poo poo with that to really dig into microcontrollers and c

if you had other experience with programming or electronics starting with the msp430 would maybe be an option but if youre just getting started yeah do a arduino thing

edit: if you want to do smt designs be prepared to either spend a ton of hours getting good at soldering or pay somebody $$$ to do it for you

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 14, 2013

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Arcsech posted:

figure out a thing you want to do, sous vide thingy is good since you can find a bunch of info on it on the internet if you need to

buy a arduino and do it

then do another project or two

then once you feel like youve got that down buy an msp430 launchpad and do some poo poo with that to really dig into microcontrollers and c

if you had other experience with programming or electronics starting with the msp430 would maybe be an option but if youre just getting started yeah do a arduino thing

thank you for this. i hope that using an arduino isnt shameful in the eyes of my yosposuperiors.

i think i'm gonna get this book: http://www.elektor.com/products/books/microcontrollers/mastering-microcontrollers-helped-by-arduino.2577385.lynkx

Arcsech posted:

edit: if you want to do smt designs be prepared to either spend a ton of hours getting good at soldering or pay somebody $$$ to do it for you

i have access to a reflow oven at my local hackspace :smug:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
you really don't need a book

literally every command is on this page: http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/HomePage

and the same site has everything you need to know about the ide (the program you code in is called the ide)

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

WorkingPeer posted:

thank you for this. i hope that using an arduino isnt shameful in the eyes of my yosposuperiors.

don't jump in too deep from the start, you'll find it hard to get anything done and you'll get discouraged. arduino is a great place to start. the times when arduino is shameful is when people do things like: use one just to make a light flash, rather than say just use a 555 chip, because they're too lazy to use the simpler, cheaper, easier option

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Corla Plankun posted:

you really don't need a book

literally every command is on this page: http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/HomePage

and the same site has everything you need to know about the ide (the program you code in is called the ide)

yeah but id like the coherence of a book that goes from soup to nuts and has projects and prewritten code and parts lists and stuff. and that particular book covers making your own pid controller, which is what i need for the sous vide thing (and, in fact, a yosvape) anyway. elektor guides are meant to be very good and detailed.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
this was the other thing i was considering, instead of the arduino: http://www.newbiehack.com/MicrocontrollerIntroductionABeginnersGuidetotheAtmelAVRAtmega32.aspx

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

WorkingPeer posted:

yeah but id like the coherence of a book that goes from soup to nuts and has projects and prewritten code and parts lists and stuff. and that particular book covers making your own pid controller, which is what i need for the sous vide thing (and, in fact, a yosvape) anyway. elektor guides are meant to be very good and detailed.

but you can't copypaste the code from a piece of paper! you will regret this!!!

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
stick with the arduino, it'll be way easier to start with, seeing as you have pretty much no experience with any of this stuff.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Corla Plankun posted:

but you can't copypaste the code from a piece of paper! you will regret this!!!

oh, can't i?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
people seem unaware that for modern arduinos they solder on ISP (in-system programming/programmer) headers, so if you've got an arduino you've got an AVR dev board.

you can do your project with an arduino and use the arduino IDE and whatnot to get it working, and then if you want you can rewrite your code in C and flash it on there with a cheapo AVR ISP.

that way you've got a little AVR dev board that has a lot of sample code written for it, and if you need stepper motor controllers or wifi or whatever, but dont feel like designing your own, there are a fuckton of arduino-compatible boards to do all that poo poo that just plug into the arduino and have sample code available (which you'll have to tweak or probably rewrite if you want to use C, of course, but still).

and the arduino IDE even has a menu item to reflash the arduino with the arduino bootloader (via an ISP), so if you flash it with something outside of the arduino IDE and want to turn it back into a vanilla arduino that's easy too.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Doc Block posted:

people seem unaware that for modern arduinos they solder on ISP (in-system programming/programmer) headers, so if you've got an arduino you've got an AVR dev board.

you can do your project with an arduino and use the arduino IDE and whatnot to get it working, and then if you want you can rewrite your code in C and flash it on there with a cheapo AVR ISP.

that way you've got a little AVR dev board that has a lot of sample code written for it, and if you need stepper motor controllers or wifi or whatever, but dont feel like designing your own, there are a fuckton of arduino-compatible boards to do all that poo poo that just plug into the arduino and have sample code available (which you'll have to tweak or probably rewrite if you want to use C, of course, but still).

and the arduino IDE even has a menu item to reflash the arduino with the arduino bootloader (via an ISP), so if you flash it with something outside of the arduino IDE and want to turn it back into a vanilla arduino that's easy too.

wow, ok that's sold me. thanks!

Dec 26, 2012

ps if any of you dont know whats up with these, learn, 555s and their variants own pretty hard + are super useful for basic circuit poo poo + are cheap as balls

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dr. Honked posted:

the times when arduino is shameful is when people do things like: use one just to make a light flash, rather than say just use a 555 chip, because they're too lazy to use the simpler, cheaper, easier option

yeah, don't use an arduino to just turn an led on and off, but on the other hand it seems like there's a lot of grognards who get really mad when people use a modern digital thing instead of whatever analog technique was state of the art in 1975

like yeah everyone who messes with electronics should learn to make a 555 timer circuit at some point. but realistically if you just want the smallest thing to blink the led, turns out an attiny45 is like 75 cents (vs 50 cents for the 555) and it's the same package size and you don't need any external components to get the pulses and the timing is variable in software and it does a million other things too. i have a whole pile of tiny85 soics and pdips in my parts bin and use them all the time for little dumb poo poo like that

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

Vlad the Retailer posted:

do you have one of those DAC-hooked-up-to-a-parallel-port covox things

making one of these was one of my idiot spare time projects back in high school. It's literally 20 resistors and nothing else.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

01011001 posted:

ps if any of you dont know whats up with these, learn, 555s and their variants own pretty hard + are super useful for basic circuit poo poo + are cheap as balls

555's own but you can do the same with a uC and it won't need as much external parts.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

but ye learn them bc they own and you can find them in a lot of stuff.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

project status: turns out i totally and completely misunderstood part of a paper i was basing the sim off. upside: i now know why the atmosphere was flying off the planet. downside: i wasted most of a week's free time chasing a nonexistant bug in my update scheme :(

in other news, i am mighty tempted to try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rp4V3Sj5jE

frankensteinesque as it may be

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
ew

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

don't do a roboroach, it's animal abuse.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

or to put it more eloquently,

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

yeah, don't use an arduino to just turn an led on and off, but on the other hand it seems like there's a lot of grognards who get really mad when people use a modern digital thing instead of whatever analog technique was state of the art in 1975

today i learned that nexus 7k fan controllers use not one, but two xilinx FPGAs

most expensive pwm ever implemented

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what the gently caress

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

dual-core fans, what u get for putting a computer engineer in charge

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

im trying to imagine how this came to be. it's a shame there aren't three cause then i could say radiation hardening

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

hahahahahhahaahhahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahaaahahahahahahahhahaha

ahahhahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahaah

aahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Sagebrush posted:

like yeah everyone who messes with electronics should learn to make a 555 timer circuit at some point. but realistically if you just want the smallest thing to blink the led, turns out an attiny45 is like 75 cents (vs 50 cents for the 555) and it's the same package size and you don't need any external components to get the pulses and the timing is variable in software and it does a million other things too. i have a whole pile of tiny85 soics and pdips in my parts bin and use them all the time for little dumb poo poo like that

i concur, the shamefulness is when someone puts an arduino uno in an altoid tin and uses that to flash an led

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
also i didn't know that attiny's existed, they look super awesome and i'm going to get some

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

coffeetable posted:

before realising id owned myself with early design decisions.

time to start over. once more with feeling

every personal project of mine is like this. currently on fourth rewrite of game :q: