Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

I mean, as someone who watches a lot of TV shows, SHIELD ranks pretty low. The acting isn't great, the plotting feels almost irrelevant, the quippy dialogue grates sometimes. I don't think it's a bad show by any means, but it feels very early 2000s in tone and style, before networks realized that they didn't have to settle for cheap-looking monster of the week shows.

I haven't seen last night's episode yet, but I'm wondering what people see in May. I like Ming-Na, and I keep waiting for her to do something, but she just stands around looking sullen and talking about how her past is dark and mysterious.

Thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for. It isn't that SHIELD is bad TV, it's just not doing anything new or particularly innovating. Since I don't immerse myself in TV the way I do comics, I'm not as worn out of the common tropes as some of you.

Remember that episode of the Simpsons with the triads, where Homer is saying the little Asian guy in the white suit is going to do something awesome. I'm waiting for her to do something awesome (the jet gag from last episode was a start). I also appreciate how much Coulson values her input, also illustrated in a pretty funny scene last episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hollismason posted:

With the DareDevil show I really hope they don't do Born Again as the first series, and instead adapt something like Bendis's run with him being outed. That to me would be more interesting.

I'm pretty stoked thought the only "bad" Netflix show so far is probably Hemlock Grove.

"Out" is basically the obvious place to go with Daredevil. It lets you make the Jessica series be that story where she's tracking down the runaway lesbian teenager, considering that story tied very closely into the Daredevil arc.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

twistedmentat posted:

I hope that they used AoS as the jumping off point for the Netflix shows, even if its "Wow Luke Cage and Iron Fist, that was really handy how to beat up those Maggia thugs, I can't want to see what adventures you'll be having in the future!" type thing.

That would be the smartest thing to do but I don't really have any faith in that happening. The fact that all of these characters are going to exist in a TV capacity, instead of a movie capacity, should absolutely mean that they appear on AOS proper, but I can see Disney loving it up and refusing to let different foods touch on their plate.

Hakkesshu posted:

I mean, as someone who watches a lot of TV shows, SHIELD ranks pretty low. The acting isn't great, the plotting feels almost irrelevant, the quippy dialogue grates sometimes. I don't think it's a bad show by any means, but it feels very early 2000s in tone and style, before networks realized that they didn't have to settle for cheap-looking monster of the week shows.

I haven't seen last night's episode yet, but I'm wondering what people see in May. I like Ming-Na, and I keep waiting for her to do something, but she just stands around looking sullen and talking about how her past is dark and mysterious.

Agree about May. Right now she is the weakest by a million miles. She is so cliched that most of her screen time has gotten almost painful to watch. This reached a new peak with yesterday's episode (which was actually quite good!)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

ToastyPotato posted:

That would be the smartest thing to do but I don't really have any faith in that happening. The fact that all of these characters are going to exist in a TV capacity, instead of a movie capacity, should absolutely mean that they appear on AOS proper, but I can see Disney loving it up and refusing to let different foods touch on their plate.

Because they have such a poor track record with cross overs so far...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah I have no doubt it will all be integrated to a degree but still 4 series! That's a lot. I mean I could see two but 4 is a bit excessive.

Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones could all be one TV series.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Opopanax posted:

Because they have such a poor track record with cross overs so far...

Between the films and the TV series, yeah, so I can see them being a lot weaker on the TV front when it comes to coordinating these kinds of things. And I am not talking about getting the Avengers on TV, I'm talking in general. It's mostly been freak of the week plots and macguffins that have little to do with anything. They've also actively gone out of their way to avoid using AIM or Hydra, in two plots where they could have (though one is still unresolved so we'll see). Next week is looking like it will at least loosely tie in to the films in some way that may not be completely superficial.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ToastyPotato posted:

It's mostly been freak of the week plots and macguffins that have little to do with anything.

The last episode featured a sonic weapon from 1960s SHIELD/HYDRA comics, Victoria Hand, a mention of the Triskelion and Agent Sitwell from the Thor and Avengers films.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The last episode featured a sonic weapon from 1960s SHIELD/HYDRA comics, Victoria Hand, a mention of the Triskelion and Agent Sitwell from the Thor and Avengers films.

Unless Baron Zemo came out at the end of the last episode to taunt Ward and Fitz, its not referencing anything :colbert:

And for anyone wondering, the preview for next episode, the Thor tie in one featured some normal people getting their hands on an Asgardian weapon, so its not too far fetched we could see the Wrecking crew in some form in the next episode

I don't think BSS has the same preview spoiler policies as TVIV, but just in case.

They did not add Victoria Hand in just to go "hey comic nerds, know this character?!" no, she has to be part of a larger thing, like some aspects of SHIELD are not as noble as Coulson likes to think, which is obviously part of the plot for Cap 2.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

That's why I said mostly and not completely? :( Extremis and a Chitauri helmet were also featured on the show... My point is that everything on the show has been very isolated from the films, going so far as to avoid referencing two major villain organizations during plotlines when they easily could have. They also spend practically no time addressing the massive alien invasion that led to a destructive battle across the bottom half of Manhattan.

That's why it is very possible for me that Disney could have a bunch of shows set in NYC that basically never overlap with AoS. Because AoS has so far only superficially overlapped the movies as it is, and those events were pretty significant.

Example, they have name dropped Widow and Hawkeye a few times, and playfully name dropped Captain America, but the fact remains that they are active duty agents and are literally the best agents they have. So why not develop on that? This isn't Shield's starting squad. They're C-listers. D-listers even. But the show is insisting to me that Ward and May are totally comparable to Widow and Hawkeye, without really explaining how that could be possible. We can't have them on the show, so don't draw such a favorable comparison. Only name dropping them when using them as a measuring stick is really lazy to me.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 14, 2013

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I have watched every Marvel film multiple times and I have no idea who Agent Sitwell is.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I'm not a huge fan of the show but I think it's gaining speed, I have a bit of hope for it still.

Also, Victoria Hand! Pretty happy with her in this, how about you crazy kids?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Waterhaul posted:

I have watched every Marvel film multiple times and I have no idea who Agent Sitwell is.

He was also in the Marvel one-shot short films "The Consultant" and "Item 47" and he'll also appear in The Winter Soldier, so that's 6 MCU roles to Nick Fury's 7. The poor guy has appeared all over the MCU and it seems like hardly anyone remembers him.

(He's the senior SHIELD agent who Simmons shot in the chest last episode.)

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 14, 2013

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

irlZaphod posted:

The thing I don't get is why does Agents of SHIELD need 2 "comic relief scientist with exotic accent" characters?

One for the men, one for the women. Seriously, Aos has one of the most focus-grouped castings I have ever seen. Some executives got together in a room and tried to assemble a group with was maximum demographic appeal.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

But Ward and the hacker girl are the eye candy

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

twistedmentat posted:

They did not add Victoria Hand in just to go "hey comic nerds, know this character?!" no, she has to be part of a larger thing, like some aspects of SHIELD are not as noble as Coulson likes to think, which is obviously part of the plot for Cap 2.

She also mainly resembles her comic counterpart only superficially. Conceptually, she's pretty close to the opposite, where the comic version was defined by the fact she protested SHIELD's policies, so having her be the face of "the system" essentially makes her a different character. We'll see if they do anything interesting with her in the future, tho.

ToastyPotato posted:

Agree about May. Right now she is the weakest by a million miles. She is so cliched that most of her screen time has gotten almost painful to watch. This reached a new peak with yesterday's episode (which was actually quite good!)

What keeps making me cringe - and I'm gonna show as shallow here - is her hair. When I saw it pulled back for one scene I went "whoa, her hair is basically ruining her face". :(

It's getting a bit headscratchy that now we have half the cast right now with secrets that are a big deal, we swear hammered every episode. Tahtiti is a magical place yes I get it. I guess it's the consequence of wanting to be episodic and still have people be able to pick up the ongoing mysteries, the TV equivalent of comic book characters explaining their powers every time they use them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Alien Rope Burn posted:

She also mainly resembles her comic counterpart only superficially. Conceptually, she's pretty close to the opposite, where the comic version was defined by the fact she protested SHIELD's policies, so having her be the face of "the system" essentially makes her a different character. We'll see if they do anything interesting with her in the future, tho.

Well she was Osbourne's right hand man and towed his line pretty well. She was representative of the system then. Maybe Fury is already running things kind of like Osbourne.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Hand in the comics was, pre-Osborn, a low ranking SHIELD accountant or something like that. She got transferred to Bumblefuck Kansas or wherever because she thought SHIELD's policies weren't authoritarian enough.

I think we're dealing with a different SHIELD in this series.

I'm fine with AOS not drawing a ton on the comics for now, but eventually, they're going to have to give viewers a reason to continue tuning in rather than watching any of the other freak/monster-of-the-week shows out there. And hey, we're probably gonna get Gravitron.

I'm guessing the reason they aren't using HYDRA is because of future use in Cap or Avengers films. AIM isn't exactly a criminal organization at this time, if I remember Iron Man 3 correctly. They're just a group of smart scientists.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's getting a bit headscratchy that now we have half the cast right now with secrets that are a big deal, we swear hammered every episode. Tahtiti is a magical place yes I get it.

Coulson actually stumbled over that line this episode as if he'd realised mid sentence that he'd been saying it automatically every time anyone ever mentioned Tahiti. I think he's on the cusp of realising that he's been conditioned to act certain ways and avoid certain thoughts in relation to his miraculous recovery.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's getting a bit headscratchy that now we have half the cast right now with secrets that are a big deal, we swear hammered every episode. Tahtiti is a magical place yes I get it. I guess it's the consequence of wanting to be episodic and still have people be able to pick up the ongoing mysteries, the TV equivalent of comic book characters explaining their powers every time they use them.

Raymond Shaw is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

greatn posted:

Well she was Osbourne's right hand man and towed his line pretty well. She was representative of the system then. Maybe Fury is already running things kind of like Osbourne.

Well, until she betrayed him entirely! But yes, until then...

HAMMER was basically the antithesis to SHIELD, but on the other hand the Ultimate Nick Fury (that sounds so silly to type) was a deeply morally challenged character. So many writers on the Ultimate line stacked morally questionable actions on their version of Fury and SHIELD that they start to make HAMMER and Osborn look relatively heroic.

I'm not really criticizing them for doing different stuff, but what they're doing is sufficiently different that I usually don't sweat the comic references, since it's more of a surface element than anything else. It's more of a shout-out than anything actually relating to comic storylines so far.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Coulson actually stumbled over that line this episode as if he'd realised mid sentence that he'd been saying it automatically every time anyone ever mentioned Tahiti. I think he's on the cusp of realising that he's been conditioned to act certain ways and avoid certain thoughts in relation to his miraculous recovery.

SHIELD has a sarcophagus.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

bobkatt013 posted:

Raymond Shaw Tahiti is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being place I've ever known been in my life.

What's Phil's red queen then?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

What's Phil's red queen then?

Captain America cards or the word Tahiti

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

He'll just get mortally wounded, but whoa hey what are all these wires? If they use anything else for the season finale I'll be surprised.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Ripping off Kirkman would be one way of ending a season, yeah.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The only way this eventual 'Coulson is a robot' reveal will be satisfying is if they all turn out to be LMDs and have Tony Stark make a cameo appearance as their designer and programmer to explain why half the dialogue in the show is little strings of rapid-fire quips.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

RandomFerret posted:

The only way this eventual 'Coulson is a robot' reveal will be satisfying is if they all turn out to be LMDs and have Tony Stark make a cameo appearance as their designer and programmer to explain why half the dialogue in the show is little strings of rapid-fire quips.

He then turns on their sarcasm and bile mode and they all sound line James Spader and generation 1 Ultrons.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I really haven't noticed that many quips honestly.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

bobkatt013 posted:

Captain America cards or the word Tahiti

He loves you.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

bobkatt013 posted:

James Spader and generation 1 Ultrons.

Oh...OH!
I think we know who should play Ultron now.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Error 404 posted:

Oh...OH!
I think we know who should play Ultron now.

He has already been cast

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

This week's AoS was still kinda dumb holy poo poo

The constant HEY GUYS, MYSTERIES! YOU ALL LIKED LOST, RIGHT? GUYS? WHERE ARE YOU GOING? is wearing really thin, and the characters are all just so loving boring that I really don't give a poo poo what happens to them. The one good thing about the episode was the fake-out where you think the Armenians (or whoever they were, I wasn't really paying attention) are torturing Fitz, but he's just fixing the fusebox. I just feel like the plot is being driven forward by people making bad decisions, and not even in a cheesy "Oh I learned a lesson there" kind of way. At least that would give some sort of payoff.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mr. Maltose posted:

Ripping off Kirkman would be one way of ending a season, yeah.

Ripping off Kirkman? That was a shock twist in an original Star Trek episode. And that writer probably lifted it from something he read in a pulp scifi rag in the 40s.

The real twist would be something like: Coulson gets shot, rack zoom on the wound aaaaand it's bleeding! Someone goes "oh crap, he's human after all. That's a little disappointing..." Then suddenly the blood turns green and Coulson morphs into a SKRULL! *dun dun dunnnnnnnn* I'm so loving clev

Prison Warden posted:

He loves you.

goddamnit

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Ripping off Kirkman? That was a shock twist in an original Star Trek episode. And that writer probably lifted it from something he read in a pulp scifi rag in the 40s.

The real twist would be something like: Coulson gets shot, rack zoom on the wound aaaaand it's bleeding! Someone goes "oh crap, he's human after all. That's a little disappointing..." Then suddenly the blood turns green and Coulson morphs into a SKRULL! *dun dun dunnnnnnnn* I'm so loving clev

goddamnit

If we get the skrulls it better end with them being tricked to becoming cows.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

irlZaphod posted:

This week's AoS was still kinda dumb holy poo poo

The constant HEY GUYS, MYSTERIES! YOU ALL LIKED LOST, RIGHT? GUYS? WHERE ARE YOU GOING? is wearing really thin, and the characters are all just so loving boring that I really don't give a poo poo what happens to them. The one good thing about the episode was the fake-out where you think the Armenians (or whoever they were, I wasn't really paying attention) are torturing Fitz, but he's just fixing the fusebox. I just feel like the plot is being driven forward by people making bad decisions, and not even in a cheesy "Oh I learned a lesson there" kind of way. At least that would give some sort of payoff.

Dude, we're seven episodes in. They gave us Skye's hidden agenda in episode FIVE. They advanced that "secret" in THIS episode. Lost took years to make that much progress. They were still loving setting up mysteries, not advancing them at this point in Heroes. gently caress, they barely scratched the surface on the mysteries they were messing about with by the seventh episode of Battlestar Galactica.

Compared to similar shows, Agents of SHIELD is racing through it's mysteries. On any other show we wouldn't have learned Skye's family thing until season three!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

They've also given us enough episode focused moments to give Ward, FitzSimmons, and Skye a good amount of backstory. May is still kind of lacking in that department though.

But I also don't think they're trying for anything too epic like LOST. This is your standard freak-of-the-week thing with the MCU as the backdrop. And for better or for worse, that probably means we won't be getting HYDRA or AIM or any major villains because there's no doubt in my mind Marvel/Disney handed a huge list of stuff that is off-limits for the AOS people.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

"During the Avengers' tenure, the Triskelion was attacked by vampires, in which the subsequent battle resulted with the entire facility being teleported to the middle of a desert in Iran"

LOL comics and all, but it would be hilarious for something like that to happen on this show

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

bobkatt013 posted:

If we get the skrulls it better end with them being tricked to becoming cows.

Being tricked into becoming Coulson isn't good enough?

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009

greatn posted:

I really haven't noticed that many quips honestly.

It's a Whedon show, people will accuse it of being nothing but quips in Joss Whedon's voice regardless of the actual reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

AMC has ordered a pilot for Preacher

http://badassdigest.com/2013/11/16/amc-is-taking-preacher-to-pilot