Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Wait a minute, beaglerush's dudes announce their overwatch. Mine never have done that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Seriously, what is with the Thin Men never not landing critical hits. A single Thin Man just took out an entire team on the second mission of the game.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

UberJumper posted:

I really miss xcomtoolboks. :negative:

Why? Does it not work with Enemy Within or something?

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yes, he's going to move to this channel: http://www.twitch.tv/miss_jamball
Thanks. Looks like Beaglerush was off to a very bad start :xcom:

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

CommissarMega posted:

Why? Does it not work with Enemy Within or something?
Yes, Toolboks does not work with EW, and from what I think Uberjumper mentioned, the author is not going to make a version for EnemyWithin.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

nnnotime posted:

Thanks. Looks like Beaglerush was off to a very bad start :xcom:

Ahaha, all of those 80%+ misses, followed by all four of his soldiers sniped out of heavy cover, one while hunkering down. Beautiful.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well, I'm doing the fishing village and I still do not have carapace armor. I have a MEC, just got the OTS, building alien containment now. It's May. I have five satellites and am 1 scientist short of another uplink. Rushing Mecs was a horrific mistake I think.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 15, 2013

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

nnnotime posted:

Thanks. I just heard Beagle say on stream that he's going to switch channels after this mission. Will that impact the steaming link?

Yes, new Stream is http://www.twitch.tv/miss_jamball

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.
Just finished the game again, and got all the new achievements to go with it including Army of Four (beat the game while never getting a squad size upgrade on classic or higher difficulty). It was pretty fun, and all the new stuff is cool and shiny and all that. Now I just need to get those damned two multiplayer achievements so I can 100% the game. :argh:

Anyway, as I said I got all the new achievements for Enemy Within, so if anyone is iffy about the specifics of how to get them you can ask me. :)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Eraflure posted:

God I'm dumb. Thank you, I haven't played since the teleport bugs appeared, I'm really rusty.

Won't it hurt his stats in the long run ? Doesn't a sniper colonel turned MEC get a lot more levels and stats boosts than a sniper squaddie turned MEC, or does it balance itself out once they become MEC colonels ? I'm playing with the randomized stats options from second wave if that matters.

Having someone with 13 HP and either of the tier 1 subsystems in month 1 is worth it. Just choose someone who has 75+ aim.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

RBA Starblade posted:

Well, I'm doing the fishing village and I still do not have carapace armor. I have a MEC, just got the OTS, building alien containment now. It's May. I have five satellites and am 1 scientist short of another uplink. Rushing Mecs was a horrific mistake I think.

Eh, I'm very likely to be in the same boat in an hour and I've been focusing on getting more satellites up to the exclusion of fun things like robots, lasers, and even a bigger squad up until a few minutes ago.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

IT'S AN UGLY PLANET, A BUG PLANET

Ernie Muppari posted:

Eh, I'm very likely to be in the same boat in an hour and I've been focusing on getting more satellites up to the exclusion of fun things like robots, lasers, and even a bigger squad up until a few minutes ago.

I thankfully did just get the OTS so I have six guys.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

TescoBag posted:

So, who thinks it's possible to mod in a rifle version of the rail gun or particle cannon (with reduced damage obv) because plasma weapons are stupid

Just gonna quote this because it was at the bottom of the last page and I'm genuinely interested on if someone thinks this is possible.

So, is there a wiki location with all of the class advantages for MEC conversion?

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Bahaha, the banter is a riot between Beaglerush and MissJamball.

Is MissJamball his woman?

thanks
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 15, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

nnnotime posted:

Bahaha, the banter is a riot between Beaglerush and MissJamball.

Is MissJamball his woman?

You should have seen an xcom stream beagle did a few months ago. It was a bit overwhelming. But yeah, Jamball is his girlfriend.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

A mission and Meld question: can you abort a mission by escaping via the SkyRanger, yet still keep the meld you took? Just wondering if that's an option in the early game: lose a few missions for the trade-off of accumulating more meld.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

I had an empty slot on a mission, due to having people injured etc, so I grab a rookie with a fedora, give him a neckbeard and dress him in black. Goony McGoonerson lives. His stats aren't great, so I figure he can be a bullet magnet and just run around being reckless. He lives through the first mission, becomes a support. I take him along on a council mission (still wish I knew in advance that if you decline unique ones they never come back. No wale mission or operation slingshot for me! Or progeny because I failed the first mission), and he rushes around like a madman slaying thinmen left and right. Goony McGoonerson, stop being so good. You were supposed to be a joke, but you are becoming something more...

Also don't you hate it when the game fucks you over with classes? I have 3 or 4 heavies and only one assault. I love assaults. I need another one!

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Holy crap, just finished the tanker mission. I only had the basic gear, but had 5 soldiers, no mec was available. I managed to clear the mission with no deaths or injury. 2 days later confounding light comes up right before my mecs would be repaired and lasers would have been finished...

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Meis posted:

Also don't you hate it when the game fucks you over with classes? I have 3 or 4 heavies and only one assault. I love assaults. I need another one!

I feel like this is something thats come with EW. When I started my new game I was getting snipers constantly (think I had 4-5 at one point) when all I wanted was an extra heavy. Games now making GBS threads supports at me and I still only have 2 heavies and 2 assaults (was 3 but exalt killed one) out of my 20 odd roster.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Meis posted:

I had an empty slot on a mission, due to having people injured etc, so I grab a rookie with a fedora, give him a neckbeard and dress him in black. Goony McGoonerson lives. His stats aren't great, so I figure he can be a bullet magnet and just run around being reckless. He lives through the first mission, becomes a support. I take him along on a council mission (still wish I knew in advance that if you decline unique ones they never come back. No wale mission or operation slingshot for me! Or progeny because I failed the first mission), and he rushes around like a madman slaying thinmen left and right. Goony McGoonerson, stop being so good. You were supposed to be a joke, but you are becoming something more...

My my current game is 80% assault, 40% sniper, ONE Support (which i turned into a MEC), and 4 assault (2 of which died early on). My last 2 assault are getting all the best gear, armor, and gene mods because I sure as poo poo ain't getting better Assault dudes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh you fuckers want me to get every single squadmember to the evac point and not just one of them. This mission is amazing and terrifying.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Deuce posted:

Wait a minute, beaglerush's dudes announce their overwatch. Mine never have done that.

Yeah, I was weirded out by that too

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

If they do a sequel (they probably will) and it doesn't have Chrysalids in it, you know what I want? Brainsuckers. Brainsuckers were inarguably the most lethal critters in Apocalypse, and you started fighting them on day 1.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh you fuckers want me to get every single squadmember to the evac point and not just one of them. This mission is amazing and terrifying.

You can abort ahead of time, it just leaves everyone behind.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

nnnotime posted:

Yes, Toolboks does not work with EW, and from what I think Uberjumper mentioned, the author is not going to make a version for EnemyWithin.

The author is on the fence, now apparently for updating it. Honestly i just wish she open sourced it if she doesn't have any interest in continuing.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Eraflure posted:

For those playing on classic/impossible : do you really use MECs ? I just removed excess limbs from one of my snipers (squaddie, meh stats) and put him in a level 1 MEC suit, just in time for a thin man mission. He took one shot and lost 9 of his 12 HP. He then proceeded to miss all his shots and spend half his time reloading.

Do I have to augment a Colonel to get a MEC who can hit the broad side of a barn, or am I just unlucky / bad at this game ?
That start off strong in month 1, and then can be kinda mediocre until you get the Shaped Armor and Servo foundry upgrades, then they're great again. Depends a lot on your difficulty setting. Not sure I'd be in love with MECs in month 1 impossible since you kind of rely on the Defense RNG to get through month 1. They're super in classic month 1 though!

Really though, you're better off converting a good soldier into a MEC then a lovely soldier. It seems impossible to pull them out of the crater of bad stats, whereas a high level MEC just plows late game so well.

comatose posted:

Did you activate one of the transmitters? It prevents EXALT from using their weapons for a turn...
Yeah, I did. That's what it does? I thought it just delayed reinforcements too. Welp

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

An In the Zone sniper really makes that Hive mission a hell of a lot easier. :v: No idea how you got it in May, goddamn.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

StashAugustine posted:

You can abort ahead of time, it just leaves everyone behind.

Yeah I saw that, but turns out I didn't need to. The mission is really sped up if you use a MEC: just jumpjet up to the transponder! XCOM: 25, Chryssalids: 0. :smugdog:

Now I've gotten carapace armor on some dudes, sent my sniper on some tactical stealth action (I hope she doesn't need that laser pistol to be upgraded), and I've finally gotten a loving arc thrower. Next up: upgrading the mec, maybe, eventually, getting around to building a gene lab. Too bad EXALT stole the gene lab money. EW is fantastic. :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

First thing I see is him missing 2 flanked shots and then his point blank shot being one short on damage, FOLLOWED by the alien critting the exact damage to kill his flanker.

I would've quit right there.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Holyshit. While that EMP module doesn't have nearly the fun-ness and general usability as the mine launcher does, it has a very, VERY important purpose: shutting down Sectopods. With their "only take half damage" EW buff, Sectopods effectively have a whopping 50 health now, which is why I nearly panicked called a wipe when I activated 2.

Thankfully, due to a mixture of a mind controlled Elite Muton Sacrifice, weird Sectopod pathing AI, EMP module stuns and lots OF MEC-PUNCH, my team walked out alive (if limping).

Oh, and there's a special animation for a MEC punching out a Sectopod.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
I got everyone to the Evac on the Whale Mission, than one died to a Chyssalid during the Cutscene...

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

TescoBag posted:

Just gonna quote this because it was at the bottom of the last page and I'm genuinely interested on if someone thinks this is possible.

So, is there a wiki location with all of the class advantages for MEC conversion?

1. Possibly maybe but it'd take effort to put together and it's dumb.
2. Gee, I wonder.

edit:

Alkydere posted:

Oh, and there's a special animation for a MEC punching out a Sectopod.

There's also ones for Berzerkers and Mechatoids. None for Chrysalids or Ethereals though.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 15, 2013

dumpster17
Mar 16, 2013
Anyone have any protips for alien retaliation ? I guess I need to have another MEC, or just throw more base security out of cover to draw fire? I killed my last ironman run on it, so now I'm wimping out, but its still a pretty tough road.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Eraflure posted:

Won't it hurt his stats in the long run ? Doesn't a sniper colonel turned MEC get a lot more levels and stats boosts than a sniper squaddie turned MEC, or does it balance itself out once they become MEC colonels ? I'm playing with the randomized stats options from second wave if that matters.

You don't get to level up twice. If you convert a colonel into a MEC, you get a colonel-ranked MEC with the same stats and just repick his skills from the MEC tree.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Silly question, but how does one free-rotate the Earth in Mission Control? Is it possible? I thought I could freely rotate the globe when playing Enemy Unknown, but I cannot recall.

EDIT: It appears my question is not silly for some:
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?278866-Can-t-rotate-hologlobe

For producing such a great game, it's surprising Firaxis has such sloppy coders.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 15, 2013

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

comatose posted:

I feel like this is something thats come with EW. When I started my new game I was getting snipers constantly (think I had 4-5 at one point) when all I wanted was an extra heavy. Games now making GBS threads supports at me and I still only have 2 heavies and 2 assaults (was 3 but exalt killed one) out of my 20 odd roster.

This exact same thing happened to me. I had to do quite a few missions with 3 non-squad sight snipers.

Henry Scorpio
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe it just collapsed on its own?
Rotating the holo-globe never really had a purpose so it's not unreasonable that it was removed. It was nice to do once or twice though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Wales Grey posted:

1. Possibly maybe but it'd take effort to put together and it's dumb.
2. Gee, I wonder.

edit:

There's also ones for Berzerkers and Mechatoids. None for Chrysalids or Ethereals though.

Yeah, the unique punch-fist animations are great. You've got "You have chicken-wing guns, I still have ARMS!" against the MEC-toid, "I don't care how hopped up on drugs you are, HYDRAULICS BEAT FLESH!" where the Berserker jumps up on to the MEC before being pushed off and put down, and finally the MEC jumps up and does a giant drop on Sectopods.

Also, just now beat the Temple Ship which means I've a fresh set of second-wave options (that I'll probably never use 90% of). I was really disappointed about the Temple Ship had nothing new in it. The only difference is that the dual Sectopods are now a lot more dangerous with their armor perk.

Oh, has anyone else had problems with armor customizations not sticking? I'd paint up my MECs and give my XMEN sleeves, but a mission later they'd just reset.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Henry Scorpio posted:

Rotating the holo-globe never really had a purpose so it's not unreasonable that it was removed. It was nice to do once or twice though.

I couldn't get it to work the last time I played EU, but in EW I've been spinning that poo poo by holding down left trigger and moving one of the sticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Rascyc posted:

Yeah, I did. That's what it does? I thought it just delayed reinforcements too. Welp

It's basically like hitting them all with disabling shot. They have to reload to fix it.

• Locked thread