Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Yay G-Gundam chat! :neckbeard:

While one one hand we shouldn't encourage such ethnic stereotyping these gundams were just too outrageous to not be awesome.

Like Neo Singapore

Or Neo Kenya

Neo India!

Neo Denmark??

Neo Sweden?

And Neo Norway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Wemus posted:

Or Neo Kenya

Where did they find the robot zebras to make the costume?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Habibi posted:

Remake everything but with Jaegars. I don't even care what it is. Gone With The Wind. Schindler's List. The Piano. The entire Charlie Chaplin collection. Whatever!

If I had the art skills, I'd make some seriously questionable Pacific Rim / Storage Wars fanart.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
How do people feel about Mako's character? I had read some things before I saw it that she was some sort of progressive female character in the realm of action flicks, but I didn't get that at all...she basically moves from being totally reliant on her father figure to being totally reliant on her lover/brother figure, and despite her physical prowess throughout the film still needs to be rescued at the end. Also I was vaguely disturbed by the hug at the end, I wasn't sure if that was deliberately ambiguous as to their sexual attraction (despite Mako eye loving Raleigh from the moment she saw him), or if someone just didn't want a white dude making out with an asian...

I suppose there's a mutual reliance hinted at, since it takes two people to pilot a Jaegar, but her two male figures just happen to be the two people who have ever piloted a Jaegar alone, so maybe not so much.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think it's left ambiguous at the end because "guy and girl kiss because of course they do" is stupid and I think del Toro wanted to cap off a movie reliant on cliche with a moment that wasn't cliche.

I do not think it had anything to do with someone not wanting to see a white make out with an Asian woman. That's silly.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

precision posted:

The Room.

"You're tearing me apart, Lisa! ...OUCH, LITERALLY!"

Tommy Wiseau is such a baffling individual I can totally buy him being sent from another dimension by aliens.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The novel (which is not canon) had her kiss Raleigh after they destroyed the breach.

Of course, the same novel had three Jaegers taking on the Sydney kaiju and two of them falling before Striker took it down. Also, the Chinese were much better off in this movie because they stood a legitimate chance against Otachi, up to the point where they were running Crimson Typhoon's self-repair sequences while fighting, and the question of whether they survived or not was left up in the air (Stacker sends out a helicopter to retrieve the Conn-Pod after it's torn off).

The novel also had Raleigh beating the poo poo out of the guy who was handing out the ration cards for insulting the Jaeger program. Also "If you have problem with Ukranian Hard House, you have problem with life."

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Man, I just saw this movie (for the first time) about a month ago and just found this thread last night, so I thought I'd just add to the general fanboy fray in here by saying this was probably the first movie I've seen since The Matrix which I immediately wanted to watch again as soon as it ended.

Just skimming through chunks of the thread, the main complaint is predictably the dumb story (which is dumb) and the dialogue, which has some truly bad moments. And I will say that I am not usually a fan of dumb, flashy action movies. Usually. I typically find it very hard to maintain my immersion in a movie or show if the story is stupid or contrived and the characters are written poorly and/or inconsistently (eg: the story relies on them being morons). For this reason I don't really care for The Avengers, which I thought was very pretty but completely soulless and out of a pretty talented ensemble cast had only one genuinely interesting character (Banner).

Pacific Rim? I could not have given less of a poo poo. This movie was a pre-White Album Beatles song. It doesn't really matter which one, but let's go with 'Yesterday.' A not particularly original or clever premise completely overshadowed by the beauty of the music.

I may have literally yelled "gently caress yeah!" at my TV when Gipsy Danger whipsworded the poo poo out of the flying Kaiju.

I am 32 years old.

I watched the movie the next night with my wife. We started at 9pm after putting the kids down. She said, "Okay but I may fall asleep." I said, "Uhuh." Well, she did fall asleep - but only from exhaustion in the middle of the Hong Kong fight.

This was also so "Independence Day with Robots" that it's ridiculous. Right down to the loving telepathy.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 14, 2013

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

precision posted:

I think it's left ambiguous at the end because "guy and girl kiss because of course they do" is stupid and I think del Toro wanted to cap off a movie reliant on cliche with a moment that wasn't cliche.

I do not think it had anything to do with someone not wanting to see a white make out with an Asian woman. That's silly.

Yeah, I somehow doubt that the people behind a $100 million love letter to tokusatsu and anime would have terribly many objections to a white guy kissing an Asian woman.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

wyoak posted:

How do people feel about Mako's character? I had read some things before I saw it that she was some sort of progressive female character in the realm of action flicks, but I didn't get that at all...she basically moves from being totally reliant on her father figure to being totally reliant on her lover/brother figure, and despite her physical prowess throughout the film still needs to be rescued at the end. Also I was vaguely disturbed by the hug at the end, I wasn't sure if that was deliberately ambiguous as to their sexual attraction (despite Mako eye loving Raleigh from the moment she saw him), or if someone just didn't want a white dude making out with an asian...

I suppose there's a mutual reliance hinted at, since it takes two people to pilot a Jaegar, but her two male figures just happen to be the two people who have ever piloted a Jaegar alone, so maybe not so much.

She's not written as badly as she could be but she's not written very well or given much to do either. There's almost no reason she shouldn't be the movie's protagonist, but she isn't.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

OldPueblo posted:

Ahem, there is only one true mech horse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKxWl4PcBY4

What a blast from the past, I was grinning the whole time. Thanks a lot for posting this!

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Clipperton posted:

Where did they find the robot zebras to make the costume?

"Neo" Kenya.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

wyoak posted:

Honestly when I see people say she needed to be rescued at the end I think that's disingenuous. She just happened to be the one that lost oxygen, it's not like it was because she was a woman or a weak character. As far as I could tell it was just dumb luck. That's not the same thing as "princess needs to be rescued" trope. I think she was just as deep as the rest, which is to say not deep because who gives a poo poo about deep characters this is a fun robot movie.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

wyoak posted:

I suppose there's a mutual reliance hinted at, since it takes two people to pilot a Jaegar, but her two male figures just happen to be the two people who have ever piloted a Jaegar alone, so maybe not so much.errr

Yeah I really don't get the idea that she is supposed to be some sort of progressive or feminist character. She is essentially submissive to Stacker the entire movie. In the fight scenes, Raleigh just barks orders/encouragements at her the whole time. The only time she shows any initiative in a Jaeger is the "whoops, we forgot the sword" scene. She needs rescuing at the end (no that is not "luck," that is the way someone decided to write the script, i.e. a dude rescuing a woman the same way as every plot ever).

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Carbolic posted:

Yeah I really don't get the idea that she is supposed to be some sort of progressive or feminist character. She is essentially submissive to Stacker the entire movie. In the fight scenes, Raleigh just barks orders/encouragements at her the whole time. The only time she shows any initiative in a Jaeger is the "whoops, we forgot the sword" scene. She needs rescuing at the end (no that is not "luck," that is the way someone decided to write the script, i.e. a dude rescuing a woman the same way as every plot ever).

Well, what he said he read was that she was supposed to be a progressive female character "in the realm of action films," which is a fairly low bar compared to a progressive female character, just. Regardless, I have to agree that it doesn't really come across much in the movie, excepting perhaps her eagerness to throw herself into combat, rather than being what I guess would be the more typical "forced into being an action hero" role that women often get. On the other hand, wasn't there a poo poo-ton of material cut out of the movie that specifically dealt more with the characters and their background (and exploring the whole 'having a person die during a drift' business that was one of the original ideas behind the screenplay)? Maybe a lot of what she was supposed to be just didn't make it to the final product. I mean, she WAS in charge of restoring and upgrading a partially destroyed Jaegar, which seems like a fairly impressive technical and managerial position for someone who is like what, 17, 18 at the time?

That said, I also don't find her particularly subservient or repressed or whatever a few posts I've seen seem to be butthurt about. Yeah she's submissive to Pentacost, but that's essentially a parent/child relationship, and the stuff with Raleigh in the Jaegar is a result of their comparative piloting experience. No poo poo you'd probably want the guy who used to be a hotshot pilot barking most of the orders over a talented but completely untested rookie.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
For whatever reason, from the little bit of preview info I'd gotten about Pacific Rim I somehow got it into my head that Mako was going to be a mother whose husband and daughter (the little girl in the flashbacks) had been killed by the kaiju, and was thus out for revenge. I liked that idea better :colbert:

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Carbolic posted:

Okay so her oxygen tank broke because she's a weak female stereotype, not because of mechanical failure. I can think of a much easier way to do the rescue trope. "Oh I'm so weak from all this drift poo poo, oh me oh my..." *faints*

I mean I get that yes he did actually rescue her, but that's not the same as the stereotype really. The end result was the same but not how they got there, and not how she was defined. Why am I typing this who cares.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

OldPueblo posted:

Okay so her oxygen tank broke because she's a weak female stereotype, not because of mechanical failure. I can think of a much easier way to do the rescue trope. "Oh I'm so weak from all this drift poo poo, oh me oh my..." *faints*

I mean I get that yes he did actually rescue her, but that's not the same as the stereotype really. The end result was the same but not how they got there, and not how she was defined. Why am I typing this who cares.

Are you trying to be the biggest shithead possible, or do you have an actual point?

Mako needed to be taken out of the equation to create tension about whether or not Raleigh would survive or have to sacrifice himself. Imagine the scene being reversed, with Mako being the one who stays behind and Raleigh being saved. Does that make any loving sense, to have the protagonist be randomly incapacitated so somebody else can save the day?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

DStecks posted:

Are you trying to be the biggest shithead possible, or do you have an actual point?

Mako needed to be taken out of the equation to create tension about whether or not Raleigh would survive or have to sacrifice himself. Imagine the scene being reversed, with Mako being the one who stays behind and Raleigh being saved. Does that make any loving sense, to have the protagonist be randomly incapacitated so somebody else can save the day?

You act like that's never been done in cinema before, top of my head Sam and Frodo from LOTR. Besides I'm talking about her character (not character but CHARACTER) and responding to a post about said character, you're talking about a plot point.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DStecks posted:

The impact of the situation is lessened because we just had two other characters sacrifice themselves minutes earlier. If you switch things up like that, it might actually add to the drama. You don't expect her to sacrifice herself there, and because she's not the lead we are less sure whether or not she'll survive.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Carbolic posted:

This is a trope-y approach to criticism that misses the forest for the trees. In a better film, it wouldn't matter if Mako herself were subservient or not, because what matters is the context.

Hero Guy ejects her from the robot body. Okay. So, what is the body?

As gone over much earlier in the thread, the film uses 'the drift' and the union in a shared body as a metaphor for love - and a specific kind of love that is about perfect unity and harmony. They're literally synchronized. And this is extrapolated out to the whole of society - gotta purge those who disrupt the harmony. The body is falling apart due to attacks by the kaiju, and the final solution is to nuke the gently caress out of them. Mako is ejected so that they can re-unite in "the afterlife".

People have called the sacrifice of Gypsy Danger a Christ image, but that's misleading. It's the same false imagery as in Dark Knight 3, where Batman restores status quo and then goes on vacation. The same applies here.

Mako consistently needs to be protected from the kaiju threat that would disrupt her harmony - recall how her kaiju-trauma split the drift earlier.

So you can see the issue: even if Mako were super-confident and assertive and whatever other positive tropes, the film has already failed by presenting the threat to genuine equality as a threat from outside.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I recently saw the movie on Blu Ray on my high def big screen TV. I gotta say, this is a GREAT movie to see on Blu Ray. For me, many movies don't seem like there is much difference between just DVD and Blu Ray, but this one really shines. One thing I noted in particular (and maybe its just my TV's settings) is that the film is somewhat 'brighter', so scenes that are really dark are MUCH clearer. The Battle of Hong Kong looked absolutely beautiful as you could see all the details. It let me catch a bunch of little things I didn't notice when I saw the film originally.

During the little prologue, there are a ton of little neat details. The propiganda billboards have small legalese print in the bottom that basically says "The makers of this poster do not assume any liability for the statements said therin". In one scene you can see them assembling Romeo Blue's leg, in another you see Romeo Blue fighting a Kaiju as seen in a night vision camera (it has long gangly arms, and punches pretty goofy).

During the battle of Hong Kong, I caught Cherno Alpha arming its "Roll of nickles"; it opens one of its hands and this cylinder deploys in its palm which it wraps its fist around. I loved the quick scene where Crimson Typhoon backflip tosses Otachi, then Cherno comes running up and elbow drops her. During this little scene the music changes to the Cherno Alpha style version of the song.

Each Jaeger clearly has its own 'fighting style', even a basic flavor of brawling. For example, I noticed Gypsy Danger did the "Grab the Kaiju by its horn/headflap/nose/etc and pummel it in the temple" to Knifehead. Striker Eureka definitely sets up a 'Stun the Kaiju with punches/throws, then fire missles at it'.

There is speculation on whether or not Cherno Alpha would be able to survive Leatherback's EMP. Keep in mind that in theory, Leatherback could have opened with this move, but didn't. In fact, it waited until Striker Eureka was just about to fire its missiles (you even see it look up kind of startled when Striker is winding up). Honestly I think it was probably programmed to use this ability on the most 'dangerous' Jaeger since it certainly didn't need any help against Cherno Alpha. I still think they should have shown more 'battle damage' on the Kaiju when Gypsy joins the fight in Hong Kong; the only injuries the Kaiju have visible at that point are a popped eyeball from Leatherback ("or we could do something really stupid!") and some cuts on Otachi's chest from Striker Eureka's blades.

Even with the end result being the same, it would have shown how the Jaegers operated as a team effort, and frankly would have made The loss of Cherno Alpha and Crimson Typhoon more significant. Without really affecting the plot much, they could have had Crimson Typhoon use its freeze ray (mounted on its 'big' arm) on Otachi's tail instead of Gypsy venting coolant at it, but the distraction by trying to shatter the tail off allows Otachi to lunge forward and bite off Crimson Typhoon's head. Cherno Alpha takes a faceful of Kaiju Acid but in true :ussr: fasion charges forward in spite of the damage, shoves its giant fist in Otachis throat, and tries to yank the gland out. Then later when Otachi tries to spit acid at Gypsy Danger, the stream is laughably short and sputters out because of the damage (leaving it unecessary to even dodge it). With this sequence it brings Gypsy Danger down a little bit more to reality, vs having a refurbished Mark III Jaeger basically take on 2 Class IV Kaiju solo that 3 other Jaegers couldn't handle.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 15, 2013

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

You realize of course that, everything else aside (such as the Kaiju being designed to fight the active Jaegars based on info from Day's drift Gipsy) only won that fight because, unlike the other Jaegars, it only had to take each Kaiju on individually?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Habibi posted:

You realize of course that, everything else aside (such as the Kaiju being designed to fight the active Jaegars based on info from Day's drift Gipsy) only won that fight because, unlike the other Jaegars, it only had to take each Kaiju on individually?

But that wasn't the case at all? Cherno Alpha and Crimson Typhoon engaged Otachi simultaneously, but were completely ineffective. Striker Eureka started moving in to assist them before Leatherback did anything.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Habibi posted:

The thing is, Gypsy completely dominated the battle on both Kaiju- As agile as it was, Leatherback wasn't able to stop Gypsy from ripping off its EMP gland, and aside from getting alley-ooped over a bridge, Gypsy was fighting Leatherback on Gypsy's terms the whole fight. Gypsy also managed to dodge the acid spit from Otachi then ripped out the gland pretty easily. Neither Cherno nor Crimson did any lasting damage to either Kaiju.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Panfilo posted:

The thing is, Gypsy completely dominated the battle on both Kaiju- As agile as it was, Leatherback wasn't able to stop Gypsy from ripping off its EMP gland, and aside from getting alley-ooped over a bridge, Gypsy was fighting Leatherback on Gypsy's terms the whole fight. Gypsy also managed to dodge the acid spit from Otachi then ripped out the gland pretty easily. Neither Cherno nor Crimson did any lasting damage to either Kaiju.

There was no way in hell Cherno would have been agile enough to dodge the acid, its biggest weakness was its speed. Likewise, Crimson's biggest weakness was its mobile, but consequently exposed, head. Otachi had weapons specifically built to play up those weaknesses, that's why it could take on both of them at the same time and win. Whereas Leatherback had a weapon to target Striker's weakness, which is why Leatherback didn't enter the fight (and thus risk injury) until Striker did.

Neither has a weapon to deal with Gipsy Danger, because assuming they got their intel from Newt, they were going in under the assumption that Gipsy was grounded and wouldn't be fighting (or at the very least, they knew that Cherno, Crimson and Striker were ready at a moment's notice, and Gipsy was still being readied). Gipsy dominated them because their whole combat strategy was built around incredibly specific counterweapons for the Jaegers they'd be fighting, and they didn't bring one for her.

The alien masters clearly realize that overspecialized kaiju was the reason for their defeat in Hong Kong, which is why the final 3 kaiju are just big and tough; their only "specializations" being much more general defensive advantages. Raiju is specialized for underwater combat because they know the plan is to assault the breach, and Slattern is resistant to nukes because they know that Striker's packing one.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Those are good points. A couple things that weren't really addressed well in the movie-

Cherno Alpha is punching Otachi, when suddenly the Kaiju just darts over and rips Crimson Typhoon's head off . I mean it happens so fast. In the novel they at least explain it by saying that Cherno put Otachi in a headlock, but Otachi was able to struggle free and knock Cherno down. But in the movie they don't really do a good job to explain how Otachi can go from fighting Cherno to attacking Crimson Typhoon in a split second. And if I was Herc Hansen, I would have fired the chest missiles first, right after Cherno got pinned underwater (and maybe they end up being ineffective/matrix dodged/etc but its just cool to see them) so he at least gets a chance to fire them. Even not yet knowing Leatherback had an EMP, trying to set up a shot so close was risky since you know there is another Kaiju about when you are firing at Otachi.

I thought the Kaiju had a very good strategy since they only fought together when they absolutely needed to and took advantage of the fact that our best Jaeger, Striker Eureka, was holding back. As soon as the threat momentarily passed, the Kaiju split up. I do wonder what would have happened if Otachi "licked" Newt- would it try to communicate more? Aside from the whole drift exchange thoughts stuff, Newt himself was a huge blabbermouth (just up and telling Hannibal their whole plan without even being grilled/tortured/haggled for it) so I can't imagine what he must have 'said' to the Kaiju in the drift-

:cthulhu: 'sup Newt! I'm your friend, the Kaiju guys! You wanna tell me about your plan?
:v: Um, its a secret, but its really cool.
:cthulhu: Oh come on, you should see all the cool stuff we got down here. I'll show you if you tell!
:v: Um, ahh, ok well ChernoAlphaandCrimsonTyphoonaregoingtobedeployedagainsttheKaijuChernoisrealslowandCrimsonTyphoonhasaweakheadomg what did I just do?!
:cthulhu: Hey thanks, man! See you soon! See you reeeeal soon...

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is a trope-y approach to criticism that misses the forest for the trees. In a better film, it wouldn't matter if Mako herself were subservient or not, because what matters is the context.

SMG do you hate tropes and how noticing them has seemed to replace criticism?

Not trying to disagree with or detract from your point but you've shown disdain for people who point them out before. (like in the Slevin thread)

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Those are good points. A couple things that weren't really addressed well in the movie-

Cherno Alpha is punching Otachi, when suddenly the Kaiju just darts over and rips Crimson Typhoon's head off . I mean it happens so fast. In the novel they at least explain it by saying that Cherno put Otachi in a headlock, but Otachi was able to struggle free and knock Cherno down. But in the movie they don't really do a good job to explain how Otachi can go from fighting Cherno to attacking Crimson Typhoon in a split second. And if I was Herc Hansen, I would have fired the chest missiles first, right after Cherno got pinned underwater (and maybe they end up being ineffective/matrix dodged/etc but its just cool to see them) so he at least gets a chance to fire them. Even not yet knowing Leatherback had an EMP, trying to set up a shot so close was risky since you know there is another Kaiju about when you are firing at Otachi.

Otachi appears to be designed for agility, like their whole plan was for him to take on Cherno and Crimson solo. Later, in the fight with Gipsy, we see Otachi using its tail pretty independently (going after Gipsy's head), but that happens after, so your point still stands. They should have had LOCCENT mention something about Otachi being dangerously agile, because as it is, the logic to the fight isn't obvious so it looks like Crimson goes down suddenly and easily. Everybody I've watched the movie with's reaction to Crimson's death can be summed up as "Oh. He's... he's dead? That's it?"

Really, I think just about everyone's reaction to Cherno and Crimson going down, when they see it for the first time, is vague disappointment. You're not invested in the characters, but they're kinda cool, so you're pretty pumped to see them fight and they just go down like suckers, and there's really no other reaction be had but vague disappointment. Like if Darth Maul had been killed off in the first lightsaber fight on Tatooine.

Panfilo posted:

I thought the Kaiju had a very good strategy since they only fought together when they absolutely needed to and took advantage of the fact that our best Jaeger, Striker Eureka, was holding back. As soon as the threat momentarily passed, the Kaiju split up. I do wonder what would have happened if Otachi "licked" Newt- would it try to communicate more? Aside from the whole drift exchange thoughts stuff, Newt himself was a huge blabbermouth (just up and telling Hannibal their whole plan without even being grilled/tortured/haggled for it) so I can't imagine what he must have 'said' to the Kaiju in the drift-

:cthulhu: 'sup Newt! I'm your friend, the Kaiju guys! You wanna tell me about your plan?
:v: Um, its a secret, but its really cool.
:cthulhu: Oh come on, you should see all the cool stuff we got down here. I'll show you if you tell!
:v: Um, ahh, ok well ChernoAlphaandCrimsonTyphoonaregoingtobedeployedagainsttheKaijuChernoisrealslowandCrimsonTyphoonhasaweakheadomg what did I just do?!
:cthulhu: Hey thanks, man! See you soon! See you reeeeal soon...

I don't think the issue is that Newt's a blabbermouth, it's just that as a scientist, he'd know all about the jaegers and how they fight. And the movie had already established that kaiju brains, being much larger than human ones, can process much more information at a time. So, while Newt only got the bit of info he shared, the kaiju likely were able to mine all of his memories for maximum data.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Uncle Wemus posted:

SMG do you hate tropes and how noticing them has seemed to replace criticism?

Not trying to disagree with or detract from your point but you've shown disdain for people who point them out before. (like in the Slevin thread)

Granted, while TVTropes as a trivia site is a fun if empty way to either nerd out on things or get willfully spoiled on something, its effect on an entire generation's approach to fiction and criticism has been anything but positive.

It replaces critical thinking with once-witty buzzphrases and itemizes facets of fiction into bulletpoints for people without the willingness to dig deeper, and it tricks the unwary and impressionable into thinking all art can be broken down into component ingredients as thought writing were merely a result of following instructions. It is where art goes to die.

We've got a thread on it, though it's mostly about Tropers specifically rather than directly about the perspective that Troping has encouraged.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3569947

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Panfilo posted:

Cherno Alpha is punching Otachi, when suddenly the Kaiju just darts over and rips Crimson Typhoon's head off . I mean it happens so fast.

Otachi knocks Cherno over with its tail when Cherno lifts both of its fists above its head. This is when Herc calls on LOCCENT to let them engage the first time. Otachi then gets Crimson Typhoon's head when Typhoon comes in to assist.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Dammerung posted:

But that wasn't the case at all? Cherno Alpha and Crimson Typhoon engaged Otachi simultaneously, but were completely ineffective. Striker Eureka started moving in to assist them before Leatherback did anything.

Right, because it was designed with Alpha and Typhoon in mind, at least as far as the acid was concerned, which only Cherno Alpha would have been too slow to dodge, and a tail grabby clawy thing that exceeded the reach of the thundercloud formation and went for the [now known to be vulnerable and inexplicable exposed] tine desk lamp head unit. The question had to do with how Gipsy, a mk3, managed to take out two Kaiju that otherwise dismantled or disabled three Jaegars with little trouble. I'm just saying that I don't think that would have happened had it encountered them together. And that's without touching on the fact that the Kaiju didn't seem to be designed with Gipsy in mind (too strong for one, too fast for the other) or that it had been upgraded well beyond its Mk 3 roots.

Panfilo posted:

Yeah, as stated by several people, Otachi and Leatherback seemed designed to fight Cherno, Crimson, and Striker - and the latter out of melee range. And even then, Gipsy only managed to overwhelm Leatherback by getting enough of an opening to plasma cannon its arm off. It wasn't exactly a slaughter.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 16, 2013

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
In the film, there's no doubt that Striker would have absolutely curbstomped Otachi and Leatherback without the EMP blast. The novel backs this up, too.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Another thing is that Raleigh's fighting style is explicitly stated to be unpredictable, and Gipsy doesn't have any special gimmicks, it's just a brawler with slightly-above-average stats in all categories. Presumably the alien plan was that if Gipsy did enter the fight, the other three jaegers would already be down, and she wouldn't be able to take on two kaiju at once. However, the Hansens managed to distract Leatherback with their flare guns, so the two kaiju got separated when Otachi went inland after Newt.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I don't know why everyone is emphasizing that Crimson Typhoon had an especially vulnerable head like it was some sort of unique design flaw. ALL the remaining jaegers seem to have same humanoid design with a discreet "head" on top - only Cherno Alpha was different. Remember, the original Gipsy got taken out with a head bite, and the upgraded version was vulnerable to Otachi's tail as well, except that the pilots got the benefit of seeing the tail weapon used moments before on the hapless Crimson Typhoon, and so were prepared for it.

As someone mentioned earlier, the real issue was that Otachi's tail was designed to get inside Crimson Typhoon's structured and (unknown to the pilots) now predictable defensive maneuvers.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Wizchine posted:

I don't know why everyone is emphasizing that Crimson Typhoon had an especially vulnerable head like it was some sort of unique design flaw. ALL the remaining jaegers seem to have same humanoid design with a discreet "head" on top
Except that Typhoon's head was tiny and difficult to defend compare to Gipsy's or Striker's, both of whom had more traditional arms to block attacks to the head, had more armor on and around the head, and in the case of Gipsy has armor protrusions around almost 50% of its head. Let's not forget that before Knifehead was able to attack Gipsy's head, he first sheared off its arm and cripples its defenses.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Habibi posted:

Except that Typhoon's head was tiny and difficult to defend compare to Gipsy's or Striker's, both of whom had more traditional arms to block attacks to the head, had more armor on and around the head, and in the case of Gipsy has armor protrusions around almost 50% of its head. Let's not forget that before Knifehead was able to attack Gipsy's head, he first sheared off its arm and cripples its defenses.

Crimson's head is so vulnerable because it was built to be super-agile, and the idea behind putting the pilots in the head is to prevent any delays in them seeing things, which using video cameras for eyes would introduce. Crimson is built for rapid limb movement, so it needs a head which can also move quickly. The Thundercloud Formation can normally compensate for this weakness, but Newt drifting with a kaiju let them know how the Thundercloud works, and thus, the perfect timing to break it.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
So do we know if Crimson's pilots are still alive or not?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Pretty sure the cockpit got crunched like a tin can. They're dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

The Biggest Jerk posted:

At least one gets impaled on a claw, and then the head gets crushed. They're dead.

• Locked thread