Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Enjoying my low two seat cars on the flat, straight freeways of south florida :sigh:

The red one is new to me for about a month and a half, its a 2010 Grand touring PRHT, and compared to the first-gen it feels like a luxury car inside. Its a little floaty when you're really going nuts, but nothing a set of aftermarket anti roll bars wont fix. The really crazy thing is i think i want to buy a third one...

Really? How fast do those things really go? I'm new to AI but the specs just don't add up for a smooth freeway experience in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

bald and fail II posted:

I have these exact seats in my mr2, they came as a rare factory option. Although mine came from a supra and are mounted on bride rails.

I used to have a set of evo4 ones in my old car but they were way too wide and didnt suit the interior at all.

I still have one of them knocking about somewhere.

I've got a set of those seats in my other car, although they don't look like that any more...

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.
The interior is the primary reason I wanted one of these cars. 4 "bucket" seats, a full length console, and the rear seats fold forward to give over 7 feet of clear cargo space (when you also drop the trunk divider.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Trees and Squids posted:

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Enjoying my low two seat cars on the flat, straight freeways of south florida :sigh:
Really? How fast do those things really go? I'm new to AI but the specs just don't add up for a smooth freeway experience in my mind.

I was being sarcastic (hence the sigh :sigh: ). They're terrible freeway cruisers. I cruise in the white one at 3800 RPM all 20 miles to work. The red one actually has a nice tall sixth compared to the white one, but what i'm really saying is that i wish south florida had a single fun road. (They dont). You could drive north for 12 hours and still find nothing good.

I go on yearly vacations to the mountains, hundreds of miles away.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 15, 2013

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

jhcain posted:

The interior is the primary reason I wanted one of these cars. 4 "bucket" seats, a full length console, and the rear seats fold forward to give over 7 feet of clear cargo space (when you also drop the trunk divider.

Wow, that is really nice - would be a great coupe for road trips, if the gas mileage made sense. Speaking of, I took my CTS-V to DC and back this past weekend, for a total of about 850 miles. I got a whopping 16mpg or so, which was a bit painful, but the car is just so drat comfortable - and it beats doing it in a LOUD LUMPY Jeep Liberty, which was the alternative. Do you still have your wagon?

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

MrSaturn posted:

road trips... wagon?

Still have the V Wagon, but we really don't road trip in that - when we go to the mountains we take the ZJ, to carry the dogs. But, I got this Charger primarily for my favorite road trip - the Hot Rod Power Tour. 2014 should be 2600 miles or so in 7 days. Between now and then the Charger will get new suspension, 4 wheel discs, air conditioning and overdrive. Should make for a pretty comfortable cruiser.

Flying_Dane
Jan 17, 2006

Grymm & Frostbytten
Back in the motherland, and now with boost (ish).

2000 9-5 Aero, 250k km, BSR exhaust and BSR 270bhp tune (running standard tune at the moment), loaded with electric things which will break.

One thing that annoys me is that it does not boost at all and feels sluggish, I suspect a vacuum leak but I am not certain. Any Danish AIers in the Copenhagen area want to lend a hand? I need to find the problem and also give it an oil change, but I have no tools, or anywhere to do it for that matter... but I do have beer.

Flying_Dane fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 15, 2013

Crunkenstein
Nov 4, 2009

1959 European market Beetle. Original rebuilt 36HP engine, repainted the original color.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

jhcain posted:

I love the dash on those cars. Have any pictures of it lit up?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Flying_Dane posted:

One thing that annoys me is that it does not boost at all and feels sluggish, I suspect a vacuum leak but I am not certain. Any Danish AIers in the Copenhagen area want to lend a hand? I need to find the problem and also give it an oil change, but I have no tools, or anywhere to do it for that matter... but I do have beer.

Does the turbo needle move at all? Does it go up to the yellow, and just stick there? You could have a leak almost anywhere.

Here's a simple test you can do yourself with virtually no tools.

Meet BCV. This is your boost control valve.

Yours will look exactly the same, as this is a picture from my still-filthy Black 2000 95 Aero with the B235R engine.

You can pull the hose off the top of the BCV, and plug the hose with a bolt - or whatever you have handy. After doing that, gently get the car up to speed (don't ride it hard), but see if you have a change in response, or not. Even the hokey turbo gauge is useful for this.

Here is an illustration Nick Teliferro suggests as a perm removal, but I suggest against that - you don't want boost all of the time. The T7 will adapt, but you will run rich, regardless.

To recap: Just pull off the top hose from it, and plug the hose, and give it a drive. If it comes back to life, either the BCV or a check valve has died. If that fixes it, undo the bolt-test, and take it in.

The bad news is that the check valves that fail usually only come with a complete set of hoses, which used to be about $300 USD - no idea what they cost now. You can buy similar check valves and replace them, but you will

If thats not it, you could have a leak in the intercooler pipes, or almost anywhere. This will need more than blocking off a hose with a bolt.

Come visit us in the SAAB thread.

:psyduck: Wait, did I actually post something useful? Yeah, I'm surprised too.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 15, 2013

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Crunkenstein posted:

1959 European market Beetle. Original rebuilt 36HP engine, repainted the original color.

Oh my God, this is perfect in every way. Really nice car, man!

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

MrSaturn posted:

Wow, that is really nice - would be a great coupe for road trips, if the gas mileage made sense.

Hahahahahahaha

I average 9 in mixed driving with my Mercury, and it's a thousand pounds lighter than this car.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
80's interior ahoy (85 MR2)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

That beetle bug with the roof rack is perfeeeection!

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

Raluek posted:

I love the dash on those cars. Have any pictures of it lit up?

I've had to send an Oil Pressure and Temperature gauge off to be rebuilt and have the needles repaired, but here's the bulk of it:

The original EL power supply worked fine once I disconnected the 2 shorted needle elements.

I'm going to roll it a couple hours down the interstate tomorrow - will report mileage. I'd guess 10 or so - it's a 440, but the current 3.23 is a decent enough highway gear.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

At least it's a manual?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SaNChEzZ posted:

At least it's a manual?

It looks cool.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

jhcain posted:

I've had to send an Oil Pressure and Temperature gauge off to be rebuilt and have the needles repaired, but here's the bulk of it:

The original EL power supply worked fine once I disconnected the 2 shorted needle elements.

I'm going to roll it a couple hours down the interstate tomorrow - will report mileage. I'd guess 10 or so - it's a 440, but the current 3.23 is a decent enough highway gear.

Yesssss. I'm not much of a Mopar fan, but that is truly one of my favorite dashboards. That and the C2 Vettes with the conical gauges.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Crunkenstein posted:

:drat: Wow that is gorgeous. The color, roof rack, white walls, everything about it is just right. I've always thought one of those (in not nearly that good of condition) would be fun to play around with for a while.

Gorillian Dollars
Jan 22, 2012

We are selling to willing buyers at the current fair market price, even if we know it has no value.
The embodiment of the 90's.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Interior shot plus bonus 3 on the tree action and cool sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypy4m4kCyhs

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I would go crazy driving a three on the tree. Sounds good though. You still trying to sell it? I still have your hoodie by the way.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Gorillian Dollars posted:

That isn't a Daihatsu, is it?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Fart Pipe posted:

Oh my God, this is perfect in every way. Really nice car, man!

Reminds me of "The Shining" beetle :)

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

jhcain posted:

Mopar or no car.

I love all the 60s mopar cars. That interior looks great!

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
Got an '08 G37s with 35k miles. Did minor work on it like body/suspension stuff since I got it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Not sure how many days left where I can drive the Chevy around.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Fart Pipe posted:

Not sure how many days left where I can drive the Chevy around.

I love these trucks so loving much. Especially in that color. Is it 3 on the tree?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Viper_3000 posted:

I love these trucks so loving much. Especially in that color. Is it 3 on the tree?

Yep, its a 283 with a 3 on the tree. Engine is not stock, haha. When I repaint it I'm going to do the same color and wibledon white on the top.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I would go crazy driving a three on the tree. Sounds good though. You still trying to sell it? I still have your hoodie by the way.

Not selling it anymore. The shifter isnt bad once you get used to it, trying to go fast sucks though because the 1-2 shift takes forever or I risk getting it jammed between gears. I need to take you for a ride in it now that its running awesome.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fart Pipe posted:

Not selling it anymore. The shifter isnt bad once you get used to it, trying to go fast sucks though because the 1-2 shift takes forever or I risk getting it jammed between gears. I need to take you for a ride in it now that its running awesome.

I think that's a feature, not a bug; my '70 had the three-on-the-tree originally and it did it practically from new. My parents let someone borrow it once and they called for help an hour later thanks to doing just that.

Watching your video actually made me wish I could've driven stick when they handed the truck over to me, but I was pretty loving hopeless on it at the time (not that I had more than an hour of seat time with a stick!)

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea my truck only has 67k on it and Ive gotten it jammed twice so far, luckily both times I was pulling into a parking lot. Its easy to unjam though.

Gorillian Dollars
Jan 22, 2012

We are selling to willing buyers at the current fair market price, even if we know it has no value.

DJ Commie posted:

That isn't a Daihatsu, is it?
It certainly is, did the chumpcar Charade or Rocky remind you of it?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

I love how the power window switch is stuck in the indentation of where a crank would go.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
So my buddies got together and did a thing with a camera:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

It certainly is, did the chumpcar Charade or Rocky remind you of it?

Both of those are mine (I am IRL https://www.daihatsu-fans.org), but the tip-off was that Daihatsu used the same door cards for manual and power windows on the G100 Charade and other cars, something only they could really get away with.

CharlesM posted:

I love how the power window switch is stuck in the indentation of where a crank would go.

Bingo!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Ahahaha I didn't notice that before. Daihatsu is so cheap it's like one of those public-access TV shows where they tell you to save money by squeezing the excess grease from cooking chicken into a baggie so you can use it as a candle later.

I dig the 90s seat fabric too. It reminds me of the Subaru interior fabrics before they got all boring.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

11BulletCatcher posted:

Great cars but if you're going to get together specifically for a photo shoot then the pictures probably shouldn't be awful.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

11BulletCatcher posted:

Did you get to take a peek under the hood of that "600HP" Camaro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

-A n i m 8- posted:

Got an '08 G37s with 35k miles. Did minor work on it like body/suspension stuff since I got it.

That angle/pic looks drat good and I really really don't like that car normally.