Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lycus posted:

So do we yet know if Comedy Central is cool with this and he's gonna get a goodbye segment? Or are they not, and he's just gonna disappear from the Daily Show with maybe a brief comment from Jon?

Has he been around on TDS lately, now that you mention it? I've been seeing a lot more Jason Jones the last couple weeks.

ufarn posted:

There are only so many news shows about politics that Comedy Central will be able to fit into their schedule.

The only thing they could have offered was to take over for Stewart (a Conan-Leno-like deal) or something in the weekend.

The real shame is that people won't be able to watch the show online due to it being on HBO, which will ensure it won't have the same kind of reach and effect that Daily Show and Colbert Report do.

Well, premium cable does need something to offset Bill Maher.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Sophia posted:

They did it after the Superbowl which is slightly different than just a regular football game (the post-Superbowl slot is generally coveted because it gets the highest ratings of anything in America all year) but I suppose football in general is one of the better lead-ins around now for everything.

Huh, I remember what a big deal at the time it was that Alias got the coveted post-Superbowl slot and it still ranks as one of the lowest watched. And holy poo poo did Friends destroy that slot, and it was only in season 2 and it hadn't even hit the height of its popularity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_lead-out_programs

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 15, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

Well, premium cable does need something to offset Bill Maher.

Frankly, I'd take literally watching a monkey inspecting its own poop for an hour over a monkey pretending that said poop inspection is edgy and obviously correct any day.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Actually football is a bad lead-in for everything because it's been proven that football's audience is self-contained and they do not become regular watchers of whatever airs after it, even and especially the super bowl

It's why NBC not being in dead last doesn't mean anything because football is literally the only thing preventing that network from being in last place

~peace ~

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Occupation posted:

It's why NBC not being in dead last doesn't mean anything because football is literally the only thing preventing that network from being in last place

~peace ~

What about the Voice?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

I see. Anything to read into that?

They delayed the premiere, so they're just catching up on scheduling.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

They delayed the premiere, so they're just catching up on scheduling.

Why did they delay the premiere?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was to debut after baseball finished with the return of Sleepy Hollow. They delayed it to slot after football for the premiere.

Palooka
Mar 13, 2005

MUST...WATCH...ALL...TV

VDay posted:

Is there no thread for Almost Human? I thought someone made it a while ago but I can't find it now. First episode is this Sunday, I'm getting pretty excited.

Almost Human Thread is now up. Also, as noted by someone else, it's two unique episodes - the pilot on Sunday and then episode 2 in the regular time slot on Monday.

Also I'd suggest everyone add a lot of over-run time on their DVR if you're recording it, or watch it live, as a double-header of NFL on Fox runs that day and so it'll most likely run over, pushing back the premiere.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

raditts posted:

Has he been around on TDS lately, now that you mention it? I've been seeing a lot more Jason Jones the last couple weeks.

All their correspondents are intermittent. Oliver might be working on something else at the moment. I absolutely wouldn't read anything into it since I highly doubt Stewart would ever be that petty and Comedy Central isn't going to do anything to make Jon mad.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

ChickenMedium posted:

All their correspondents are intermittent. Oliver might be working on something else at the moment. I absolutely wouldn't read anything into it since I highly doubt Stewart would ever be that petty and Comedy Central isn't going to do anything to make Jon mad.

Wasn't Oliver on this Monday?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ChickenMedium posted:

I know that John Oliver is doing a standup tour right now so that might be why he is not doing much.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wandle Cax posted:

What about the Voice?

If NBC didn't have football, they would be in last place. The voice is a tentpole but isn't football.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Didn't see any mention of this, but Totally Biased was cancelled. FXX shot itself in the foot with that one. "Let's move it to a new channel and change it from one night a week to five nights a week!"

Really disappointed. Thought it was better than The Daily Show, frankly.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Palooka posted:

Almost Human Thread is now up. Also, as noted by someone else, it's two unique episodes - the pilot on Sunday and then episode 2 in the regular time slot on Monday.

Also I'd suggest everyone add a lot of over-run time on their DVR if you're recording it, or watch it live, as a double-header of NFL on Fox runs that day and so it'll most likely run over, pushing back the premiere.
Actually, the 30 minute segment between the end of scheduled football and the beginning of Almost Human at 8pm is just Fox's postgame, and it's designed to run short if the game runs long.

The good news is Niners/Saints should get a good number. The bad news is they probably won't run that long, and everyone will immediately switch over to NBC for Broncos/Chiefs

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

escape artist posted:

Didn't see any mention of this, but Totally Biased was cancelled. FXX shot itself in the foot with that one. "Let's move it to a new channel and change it from one night a week to five nights a week!"

I covered this in the ratings thread, but I was so disappointed when it moved to FXX and they shouldered it with 6 nights a week. It was a perfect weekly show and I missed the hell out of it when it went off FX but it had nothing but reruns and movies as a lead-in if Sunny and the League weren't on, and those shows are only on one night a week for like 3 months out of the year. The FXX thing is a massive failure and I wouldn't be shocked to see some reset-button-pushing in the very near future. They've already moved Chozen to FX.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

escape artist posted:

I'm not surprised it's cancelled, mainly because the episodes I saw of it were awful. Kamau seems like a nice dude but just not funny in anything I've seen him in. I had tickets to the Doug Loves Movies he did, but my flight got delayed and I missed a stinker of an episode.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I've watched a bit of the first few episodes to Hulu's other animated series since The Awesomes, Mother Up!, and overall it's surprisingly good. It gives me a bit of a Betty and Veronica by way of the Venture Brothers tone.

General plotline from the pilot: Bad mother record exec loses her job due to taking part in a child hunting incident and moves to the suburbs until she can revive her career. Insert typical fish-out-of-water comedy, but I think it does sort of hit more than miss compared to something like Allen Gregory.

It's actually sort of amusing and feels more polished than the Awesomes did. A MUCH more consistent character design and a much more consistent pacing. If nothing else, I'm really hoping that this is marking a trend in Hulu's exclusive animation division showing some continuing improvement if they keep moving forward.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Remember that scene in Weeds where the youngest son finds a naked picture of his mom and then jerks off to it?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mu Zeta posted:

Remember that scene in Weeds where the youngest son finds a naked picture of his mom and then jerks off to it?

:stare:

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

A reminder that Weeds was still considered a pretty good show when that happened

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

escape artist posted:

God dammit, I like that show. I hope at least Deon Cole's Black Box comes back at some point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

@midnight just got picked up for 40 weeks

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

:woop:

Great news, it's been even better than I was hoping it would be.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

BrooklynBruiser posted:

:woop:

Great news, it's been even better than I was hoping it would be.

Yeah I've been loving it so far.

The David Spade episode was (unsurprisingly) pretty bad but other than that every episode has made me laugh a bunch.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

zoux posted:

Well I can't wait for this to be way worse than the status quo.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/13/tech/web/netflix-tv-streaming/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I got it last night. I was shocked at how different it is (xb360). You actually have to choose your profile when you log in now.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

escape artist posted:

I think we now know where the money went

http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/the-simpsons-lands-750-mil-cable-vod-syndication-pact-with-fxx-1200837036/

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
How the hell does that even work? One Fox subsidiary sold syndication rights to another? I mean I'm sure Groening/Simon/Brooks/the other production companies get a cut but it sounds like the overall conglomerate is gambling on FXX paying off rather than selling the rights elsewhere and making a big payday.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Capitalism :allears:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

hcreight posted:

How the hell does that even work? One Fox subsidiary sold syndication rights to another? I mean I'm sure Groening/Simon/Brooks/the other production companies get a cut but it sounds like the overall conglomerate is gambling on FXX paying off rather than selling the rights elsewhere and making a big payday.
Yeah, this is kind of a head scratchier. The parent company is paying its subsidiary for rights of something it already owns? I know some people probably get a cut of it like Groening and such, but where else is that money going?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Harlock posted:

Yeah, this is kind of a head scratchier. The parent company is paying its subsidiary for rights of something it already owns?

This happens literally all the time. You can't just sell something for nothing, even if you're technically under the same corporate umbrella, or the numbers look bad.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

IRQ posted:

This happens literally all the time. You can't just sell something for nothing, even if you're technically under the same corporate umbrella, or the numbers look bad.

I remember seeing Shield reruns on Spike while new episodes still aired on FX. And Spike and FX are not co-owned. So that's not always the case.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Raising Hope is back tonight.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Vertical Lime posted:

I remember seeing Shield reruns on Spike while new episodes still aired on FX. And Spike and FX are not co-owned. So that's not always the case.

I'm baffled as to what you're disagreeing with.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

...what the gently caress.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Harlock posted:

Yeah, this is kind of a head scratchier. The parent company is paying its subsidiary for rights of something it already owns? I know some people probably get a cut of it like Groening and such, but where else is that money going?

FX's bookeeping is distinct from that of FOX's branch, so it's moving from one to another's balance sheets. The FOX arm has earned some money while the FX arm has spent some. Think of it like a husband and wife who have distinct budgets and one of them gives the other $5000 for Christmas. While the total household funds remain the same, one of them now has $5000 more to spend than they used to while the other has $5000 less. It works similarly for companies that are under a single parent umbrella.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Somehow The Killing is coming back AGAIN for six more episodes on Netflix.

http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/the-killing-netflix-amc-1200838216/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Hastings!!! :argh:

What a waste of money.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

FlamingLiberal posted:

The one thing the show couldn't kill... was itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedo
May 5, 2002
You know what, I'm actually ok with the show getting another (short) season because Season 3 was good, and made up for a lot of the shortcomings from the long drawn out first two. And more Holder is always a good thing.

• Locked thread