Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
So just to be perfectly clear, Return is still as useful as it always was, right? I don't need to spend forever maxing out affection/fullness/enjoyment in order for it to be full power?

Funniest Pokemon-amie observation so far: Farfetch'd gets pissed off if you pet its leek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

LAY-ZX posted:

This is the worst part about this generation not getting broken open; I am a nerd, and I hate not having real numbers to look at when doing things. :saddowns:

Without cracking the game is there ever any way we'll know shiny rates? I mean I imagine there's some dude somewhere that will write down every single encounter he has but even then how many would we need to know for sure? Or even kinda for sure

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I fought a guy on Showdown doubles last night (I should really start remembering to save replays) who had just two pokemon in his team, Seaking and Shedinja. Turn one Seaking used soak on shedinja to make it a water type. Turn two I use target both with grass attacks, fainting Seaking and activating Focus Sash. Turn three I target Shedinja with both grass attacks and win the battle.

What exactly was this guy trying to pull off? Was he just hoping I had no way to hit a Water type super effectively?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

As high (small) as the numbers dealing with shiny rates are, it's pretty much impossible for us to ever nail them down purely through testing. We're currently just making assumptions based on what they used to be, but even that might not be correct!

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

We should get a goon tournament going.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

myron cope posted:

Without cracking the game is there ever any way we'll know shiny rates? I mean I imagine there's some dude somewhere that will write down every single encounter he has but even then how many would we need to know for sure? Or even kinda for sure

Wonder Trading is unencrypted, because of that some people have been able to figure out the format X and Y use for sending Pokemon. This is what's letting people see that there's a greater odd of a Pokemon being shiny.

What determines a Pokemon being shiny or not is based off a Pokemon's "Personality Value", a 32-Bit integer generated when a Pokemon is obtained, that's used to determine a some elements about a Pokemon. A Pokemon's Gender, Nature, and Ability are determined by this number. The game takes the Personality Value, the Player's Trainer ID and Secret ID (A second, hidden Trainer ID) and does a fairly complex calculations with them, if the result is 8 or lower, the Pokemon is Shiny.

But... since people are able to extract their Pokemon data through the unencrypted Wonder Trade they're able to see that shiny Pokemon are being made with a result of 9 to 16.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Welp, I started breeding.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Speaking of breeding, how about the gross negligence shown by the day care people. They never know how the egg shows up. Clearly they aren't even watching our pokemon, even a little!

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

myron cope posted:

Speaking of breeding, how about the gross negligence shown by the day care people. They never know how the egg shows up. Clearly they aren't even watching our pokemon, even a little!

I just justify it as them not wanting to be the ones telling little kids where babies come from.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

myron cope posted:

We do know that overall shiny rate has doubled from what it used to be. This has been determined from taking peeks at wifi packets containing Pokémon data, and comparing them to data of previous gen mons. Stuff which would not have ended up shiny in previous gens according to its PID is shiny in gen6. I would hazard a guess that this only applies to things caught in gen6 though and we're not gonna get spontaneous PokéBank shinies, there's certain to be a flag for that :v:

Sadly that's what we're limited to though, we can't check how it actually generates Pokémon now. For example - Maybe Masuda is the same as it was before? Maybe its rate was increased again, as it was in g5? Maybe it's based on the new doubled rate and then does the same amount of rerolling as g5, making for crazyass odds? Does safari go through the same or similar sorts of checks? Do hordes increase shiny rate for real or just via numbers spamming? How the gently caress does the radar work this gen?

:psyduck:
beaten a lil but still

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

We should get a goon tournament going.

Gimme a couple hours, OP is done. Also anyone care to help me out with a couple battles to see what we can work with in the settings for 6v6?

EDIT:

treeboy posted:

thanks for all the replies, i didn't realize there was a google doc in the trade OP.

I got lucky with my Modest Tyrunt and got a x/x/31/31/31/31 Modest Solar Power Charmander on my third egg. Trying to decide if i want to go for that HP too

See what the IV is, if it's like 26 or 30 or something like that I'd say keep it. What gender? If it's female I could toss a male with some egg moves at you.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 16, 2013

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
In my wi-fi battles, I encountered a player that was the very definition of why the weather-ability nerf was so necessary in gen6. Starts with a Hippodown (w/ Sand Stream, obviously) holding a pecha perry. His strategy was: Stealth Rock, Yawn, Yawn, Yawn, Yawn, Yawn, Yawn, Yawn, Yawn, Yawn, Yawn...

What the gently caress am I supposed to do against that? :psyduck:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Voltin Bolt posted:

I would hazard a guess that this only applies to things caught in gen6 though and we're not gonna get spontaneous PokéBank shinies, there's certain to be a flag for that :v:

Yeah ever since the current method of determining Shininess (In GenII it was based off IVs) once a Pokemon is shiny it has a flag set so that it's always Shiny.

Amusingly enough, Shininess is determined when an Egg hatches, but the Pokemon with its IVs and Personality Value is determined when the egg is gotten. So you can trade an egg that wouldn't be Shiny for you over to someone else, and it will be Shiny for them when it hatches.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Sanctum posted:

In my wi-fi battles, I encountered a player that was the very definition of why the weather-ability nerf was so necessary in gen6. Starts with a Hippodown (w/ Sand Stream, obviously) holding a pecha perry. His strategy was: Stealth Rock, Yawn, Yawn, Yawn, Yawn, Yawn, Yawn, Yawn, Yawn, Yawn, Yawn...

If you have anybody with Insomnia, Vital Spirit, Natutal Cure, Early Bird or the like as an ability, is holding a Lum or Chesto berry, has Sleep Talk you can tank it. Or hit him with a special water or ice attack or spore him. Or just tank it, you know 2 of his moves already. Best guess is one of the other 2 was slack off with the 4th being earthquake. Switch in someone she can resist or has a ground immunity and force his switch. One of those other two moves might be Ice Fang though, so that last ones a bit of a gamble.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sanctum posted:

Switch in an Espeon or Xatu. Or spam U-turn.

Also, switch in a Poison Heal toxic orb Gliscor. Toxic orb will activate before yawn can put him to sleep and you can wall hippo pretty easily unless it has ice fang.

Depending on the set you can probably survive Ice Fang too.

Also stealth rock can't be used by hippowdon this gen so far or are you playing B2W2.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 16, 2013

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Sanctum posted:

You can take the sleep and kill it. If you didn't have anything that could hurt Hippowdon much then you might have been screwed even without yawn. Taunt and substitute are more direct answers.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
I just caught a Shiny Sliggoo that has Gooey and is Brave Natured. 31s in Attack and Special Attack. Is there a way I can make this thing useful?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

LAY-ZX posted:

I just justify it as them not wanting to be the ones telling little kids where babies come from.

I dunno, maybe they're just really ignorant. I can never decide whether I want to imagine the Day Care Man saying that line in a really lost voice, or a really facetious one.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Does anybody know if Safeguard protects against flinching or infatuation?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

everythingWasBees posted:

Does anybody know if Safeguard protects against flinching or infatuation?

It definitely doesn't protect against flinching, pretty sure it doesn't protect from infatuation either.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

PSWII60 posted:

If you have anybody with Insomnia, Vital Spirit, Natutal Cure, Early Bird or the like as an ability, is holding a Lum or Chesto berry, has Sleep Talk you can tank it. Or hit him with a special water or ice attack or spore him. Or just tank it, you know 2 of his moves already. Best guess is one of the other 2 was slack off with the 4th being earthquake. Switch in someone she can resist or has a ground immunity and force his switch. One of those other two moves might be Ice Fang though, so that last ones a bit of a gamble.
Oh snap, I had a starmie with natural cure but I keep forgetting it has that ability. Guess it's entirely my fault, after finishing his hippowdown I definitely could have handled his yawn/toxic camerupt by switching out my starmie if I had remembered that. I even had reflect type so I could have dealt with a potential staller as his 3rd pokemon.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I just wonder traded away 10 Haunters and Gravelers to bring trade-evolving joy to others, and I only got two trades where I felt I got the worse deal.

The best ones were got a modest adaptability 4IV Japanese Eevee and two Rotoms (one Japanese). It's far too tempting to try to make shiny babies from these. Wonder trade is living up to its name today.

Edit: I hope those guy trading me their Level 3 stuff enjoy their Level 58 Gengars that wont listen to them for about 35 hours :laugh:

Edit2: Someone just traded me a level 35 Dragalge, how does that work since it evolves at 48?

pik_d fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 16, 2013

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Ignite Memories posted:

Welp, I started breeding.

Why are you breeding Duckletts??

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

pik_d posted:

Edit2: Someone just traded me a level 35 Dragalge, how does that work since it evolves at 48?

They can be fished up at level 35.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

LAY-ZX posted:

They can be fished up at level 35.

Ah, I didn't really do much fishing so that makes sense.

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Not the poster, but Defog on Crobat is really nice.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I like how this is question you ask and not "why the gently caress are you going all the way to Lumiose?"

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I have a chip on my shoulder about Farfetch'd because he was my favorite as a kid and I couldn't name it what I wanted, and I STILL CANT NAME IT WHAT I WANT.

So now I am gonna make a really great loving leek duck and I'm going to name him Davos :colbert:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

LeafyOrb posted:

I like how this is question you ask and not "why the gently caress are you going all the way to Lumiose?"

You can go to the area around the tower and just jam a dime or something under the circle pad so you just constantly move in circles until your eggs hatch. Some people like to do it because I guess pushing left and right is hard.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

LAY-ZX posted:

You can go to the area around the tower and just jam a dime or something under the circle pad so you just constantly move in circles until your eggs hatch. Some people like to do it because I guess pushing left and right is hard.

You still have to pay attention though right? Since the hatching itself will stop you

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

LeafyOrb posted:

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Just bred my first 6IV 'mon - an Adamant, Anticipation Eevee! Even if it won't make the best battler at least it'll prove good breeding stock now!

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Balon posted:

Just bred my first 6IV 'mon - an Adamant, Anticipation Eevee! Even if it won't make the best battler at least it'll prove good breeding stock now!

Adamant? Perfect for a Flareon! :thumbsup:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Ignite Memories posted:

I have a chip on my shoulder about Farfetch'd because he was my favorite as a kid and I couldn't name it what I wanted, and I STILL CANT NAME IT WHAT I WANT.

So now I am gonna make a really great loving leek duck and I'm going to name him Davos :colbert:

Farfetch'd isn't a duck.

IT'S A SAMURAI WATERFOWL!

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Pyroi posted:

Farfetch'd isn't a duck.

IT'S A SAMURAI WATERFOWL!

No it's a duck that is carrying its own seasoning, with which it then hits people in an attempt to accelerate inevitability.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Immer posted:

Not the poster, but Defog on Crobat is really nice.

Yeah, Crobat is the only good pokemon with Defog until Pokebank. Scizor (probably) still gets it as an Egg Move but nothing it can breed with learns it naturally.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Ignite Memories posted:

FYI you can catch (and name) wild Farfetch'd in, like, the first route. Not that I disapprove of your quest for the perfect Farfetch'd. You'll show 'em, Davos, you'll show 'em all.

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!
I never really appreciated how cute torchic is

Part of me wants to try breeding but after three generations of checking IV's, wasting hours breeding, and trying to get the pokemon I want, I am just completely drained. :sigh:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Stalgren posted:

Part of me wants to try breeding but after three generations of checking IV's, wasting hours breeding, and trying to get the pokemon I want, I am just completely drained. :sigh:

whatever, quitter.

Honedge (F) - Quiet, 31\13\31\31\31\0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

LeafyOrb posted:

You can Fly to Lumiose. :ssh:

• Locked thread