Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

evil_bunnY posted:

If they're harder to drive, the noise floor won't be as pronounced.

The ATs are low impedance/high sensitivity IEMs so this is rather unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kremlins
May 9, 2009

hey all. i've read the thread and done a bunch of research and i feel pretty set on either beyerdynamic or grado, but i wanted to get y'alls opinion as well since this is my first serious headphone purchase.

budget - $300-$400 definitely negotiable either way.

source - primarily my computers sound card (this gay thing, i don't know it was $25) but also my ipod and phone, i'm definitely looking for a pair i can take around places and wouldn't mind carrying around a small amp. since i'm spending so much anyway, if i can vastly improve my sound quality by getting a proper device, lemme know.

isolation requirements - quiet cans would be nice but i'm looking more to pay for audio fidelity/silkiness than for noise cancellation or isolation. i also don't want to get punched in the face by some rear end in a top hat sitting next to me on the bus because he can hear my alternative hip hop jazz fusion. e: in retrospect, i definitely need closed headphones since i'm going to be bringing these about

preferred type of headphone - over ear.

preferred tonal balance - dead center middle but maybe a little stronger on the bass side.

past headphones - gaming headphones and apple earbuds because i'm trash. if it helps any, i don't like very "punchy" bass.

preferred music - here's pretty much my favorite music. i like a lot of electronic.

kremlins fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 15, 2013

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Grados are very open, everyone in the room will hear what you're listening to and you'll hear everything in the room unless you crank up the volume.

Check out the Sony V6(same as V7506), they have some isolation, just about anything can drive them, they fold, they're built like tanks and have a fun sounding somewhat V shaped freq. curve.
The cons are sparkly highs, narrow soundstage and that drat coiled cable.

I've heard good things about the Creative Aurvana Live too, maybe Midorka can fill you in more on those.

kremlins
May 9, 2009

Retarded Pimp posted:

Grados are very open, everyone in the room will hear what you're listening to and you'll hear everything in the room unless you crank up the volume.

Check out the Sony V6(same as V7506), they have some isolation, just about anything can drive them, they fold, they're built like tanks and have a fun sounding somewhat V shaped freq. curve.
The cons are sparkly highs, narrow soundstage and that drat coiled cable.

I've heard good things about the Creative Aurvana Live too, maybe Midorka can fill you in more on those.

adding those to my "potentials" list. sturdiness is definitely a plus! any comment on the physical comfort of those?

e: the sony ones are around $100, and while i'm sure that doesn't mean they're bad, i'm looking for a something a little higher-end

kremlins fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 15, 2013

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Anyone have experience with the Schitt(y?) amps/dac? Just scored a GREAT deal on the Beyerdynamic DT990 250ohm pro model (150usd shipped!) and I have a fiio e07 dac/amp now.

but I'm thinking with 250ohm impedance a dedicated amp might be a good idea.

amp: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CICPMA6/
cans: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011UB9CQ/ (they're still on sale btw, 184usd as of right now)

I'm upgrading from the ath-m50s - they're great and all, but they get really harsh at high volumes, especially in the highs. Bass is nice, but not very distinct. Also they're not very comfortable to wear all day. The headband is hard, earpads are like ugh. I was gonna go for the AKG k701 but everyone said the headband sucked and also I got the Beyerdynamics for HALF THE PRICE I CANNOT EXPRESS THAT ENOUGH OMG.

edit: these also will be my first open headphones!

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Kremlin Kremlin posted:

adding those to my "potentials" list. sturdiness is definitely a plus! any comment on the physical comfort of those?

e: the sony ones are around $100, and while i'm sure that doesn't mean they're bad, i'm looking for a something a little higher-end

Take a look at the Sennheiser Momentum, Beyer DT1350 and Bower & Wilkins P5.

Edit
And the V-Moda M-80

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Anyone have experience with the Schitt(y?) amps/dac? Just scored a GREAT deal on the Beyerdynamic DT990 250ohm pro model (150usd shipped!) and I have a fiio e07 dac/amp now.

but I'm thinking with 250ohm impedance a dedicated amp might be a good idea.

amp: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CICPMA6/
cans: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011UB9CQ/ (they're still on sale btw, 184usd as of right now)

I'm upgrading from the ath-m50s - they're great and all, but they get really harsh at high volumes, especially in the highs. Bass is nice, but not very distinct. Also they're not very comfortable to wear all day. The headband is hard, earpads are like ugh. I was gonna go for the AKG k701 but everyone said the headband sucked and also I got the Beyerdynamics for HALF THE PRICE I CANNOT EXPRESS THAT ENOUGH OMG.

edit: these also will be my first open headphones!

The consensus around here is that Schiit makes really good...headphone amps.

Keep in mind that the Beyers are gonna need a fairly powerful amp- I might be wrong, but a $100 Magni may not cut it. I think the Asgard 2 would probably work well but you might have to look at the Lyr (which is $450) or higher.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Retarded Pimp posted:

Take a look at the Sennheiser Momentum, Beyer DT1350 and Bower & Wilkins P5.

Edit
And the V-Moda M-80

I have the B&W P5s and to me they sound very colored. Sure they're punchy but for the price they are muddy :(

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The consensus around here is that Schiit makes really good...headphone amps.

Keep in mind that the Beyers are gonna need a fairly powerful amp- I might be wrong, but a $100 Magni may not cut it. I think the Asgard 2 would probably work well but you might have to look at the Lyr (which is $450) or higher.

I at this time can't justify that cost for an amp alone :( so you don't think they make decent DACs?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Tactical Lesbian posted:

I at this time can't justify that cost for an amp alone :( so you don't think they make decent DACs?

If you're looking for home use, why not a Fiio E09? $100, and you can pair it with the E07

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

grack posted:

If you're looking for home use, why not a Fiio E09? $100, and you can pair it with the E07

I strongly considered it, but I wanted to try other brands and also I really like the design of the Schitt product line!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tactical Lesbian posted:

I have the B&W P5s and to me they sound very colored. Sure they're punchy but for the price they are muddy :(

Oh yeah, sorry- they make great DACs too. As far as I'm aware, every product Schiit makes is very, very good- probably on par with any of the "best" within their price point.

Also, take my previous advice with a major grain of salt. I don't know a ton about Beyers, but all I've heard is that they're on the power-hungry side. For all I know, a Magni + Modi stack might work totally fine. If I were you, I'd wait for someone like Midorka to respond and/or dig around on Head-Fi for information. The manufacturers you're asking about aren't exactly unpopular within the hobby so there's bound to be a lot out there.

Just one more note- what exactly do you mean by "DAC?" Are you referring to a pure DAC (digital-to-analog converter) or a combined DAC/headphone amp deal like the Audioengine D1 or O2/ODAC? You won't be able to run a set of headphones directly off of the former without some kind of amplification.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Oh yeah, sorry- they make great DACs too. As far as I'm aware, every product Schiit makes is very, very good- probably on par with any of the "best" within their price point.

Also, take my previous advice with a major grain of salt. I don't know a ton about Beyers, but all I've heard is that they're on the power-hungry side. For all I know, a Magni + Modi stack might work totally fine. If I were you, I'd wait for someone like Midorka to respond and/or dig around on Head-Fi for information. The manufacturers you're asking about aren't exactly unpopular within the hobby so there's bound to be a lot out there.

Just one more note- what exactly do you mean by "DAC?" Are you referring to a pure DAC (digital-to-analog converter) or a combined DAC/headphone amp deal like the Audioengine D1 or O2/ODAC? You won't be able to run a set of headphones directly off of the former without some kind of amplification.

well the fiio e07 is a dac/amp, and I'm not sure if the Modi has an amp in it or not. afaik (which isn't a lot) any dac would have SOME sort of amp, it has to put the signal out, right? how does the signal get to the dedicated amp from the DAC without?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
The Modi will provide a line-level output, but you won't be able to control the output level. The Modi also only outputs RCA though, so you can't directly connect it to your headphones. If you get the Magni as you're amp, you're going to need a Female TRS -> RCA to connect your E07 to it. I can not comment on the quality of that cable and I can't find one on Monoprice.

I like the Magni, it's a good amp. Comparing it to the Asgard 2 I find it to be a bit bright and perhaps a little harsh, but that's only on quick comparisons back and forth.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Midorka posted:

The Modi will provide a line-level output, but you won't be able to control the output level. The Modi also only outputs RCA though, so you can't directly connect it to your headphones. If you get the Magni as you're amp, you're going to need a Female TRS -> RCA to connect your E07 to it. I can not comment on the quality of that cable and I can't find one on Monoprice.

I like the Magni, it's a good amp. Comparing it to the Asgard 2 I find it to be a bit bright and perhaps a little harsh, but that's only on quick comparisons back and forth.

yep, already had these picked out~ was just looking for anything shielded really.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YEBK66/

The Leon Hikari
Jan 6, 2007
Lollylops?
I've got a set of Senn HD598s currently and I've been thinking about upgrading to a set of HD650s. However, the reviews online about that upgrade path kind of scare me.
Thoughts? I'm running a Schiit Modi as my DAC and a Little Dot MKIII as my amplifier.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Leon Hikari posted:

I've got a set of Senn HD598s currently and I've been thinking about upgrading to a set of HD650s. However, the reviews online about that upgrade path kind of scare me.
Thoughts? I'm running a Schiit Modi as my DAC and a Little Dot MKIII as my amplifier.
FWIW, I A/B'ed my 580's with a friend's 650's when he first got them. The 650's had a little more punch on the low end, a more "modern" sound signature if you want to call it that. Nothing a little EQ probably couldn't fake, but it was the first time I wanted to upgrade.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Hey goons, I'm currently debating buying a new set of headphones soon, since I got my last pair (ATH-M50) on cyber monday for a ridiculous price (I think $110 from Amazon).

Budget - Up to $300, I can probably spend $400 if the quality jump is worth it.

Source - Primarily my notebook, for music and gaming. I'm also considering buying a PS4 (which apparently can push audio through the controller port, but I have no idea if this actually works well or not). I also have my phone and iPod classic that might see occasional use from them, but I have my current two pairs of headphones that I use as well.

Isolation Requirements - No need for isolation

Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear

Preferred Tonal Balance - I prefer balanced, but a bit tilting towards the bass-heavy side.

Past Headphones - As stated before, I have the ATH-M50s that I'm pleased with. I also have a pair of Etymotic ER-4s that I honestly haven't used much since I got the M50s. I delegated them to work-computer / phone duty, since if I keep them in for any extended period of time they make my ears hurt.

Preferred Music - I listen to a pretty wide variety. I listen most often to EDM, hip hop, and industrial. I also listen to plenty of rock and punk, occasionally some jazz / big-band, and rarely some classical / baroque.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

ryan_woody posted:

Hey goons, I'm currently debating buying a new set of headphones soon, since I got my last pair (ATH-M50) on cyber monday for a ridiculous price (I think $110 from Amazon).

Budget - Up to $300, I can probably spend $400 if the quality jump is worth it.

Source - Primarily my notebook, for music and gaming. I'm also considering buying a PS4 (which apparently can push audio through the controller port, but I have no idea if this actually works well or not). I also have my phone and iPod classic that might see occasional use from them, but I have my current two pairs of headphones that I use as well.

Isolation Requirements - No need for isolation

Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear

Preferred Tonal Balance - I prefer balanced, but a bit tilting towards the bass-heavy side.

Past Headphones - As stated before, I have the ATH-M50s that I'm pleased with. I also have a pair of Etymotic ER-4s that I honestly haven't used much since I got the M50s. I delegated them to work-computer / phone duty, since if I keep them in for any extended period of time they make my ears hurt.

Preferred Music - I listen to a pretty wide variety. I listen most often to EDM, hip hop, and industrial. I also listen to plenty of rock and punk, occasionally some jazz / big-band, and rarely some classical / baroque.

Maybe try AKG Q701 - though you'll probably want to invest in a dac/amp with these cans.

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Signature-Reference-Class-Premium-Headphones/dp/B004444OFK/
http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E07K-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00A9LHLQ6/

Everything said and done you're :10bux: over budget

For a slightly colored alternative that also has good bass and is more comfortable than the AKG offerings, and also on a FIRESALE right now; the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm model. These will be driven to a comfortable volume by the Fiio dac/amp but if you want to be able to really crank them you're gonna need a bigger, dedicated amp too. The beyerdynamics are 300 dollar cans but Amazon is selling them for like 150usd right now for some reason. I just received my pair and they are A+

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-990-Pro-250-Professional-Acoustically-Applications/dp/B0011UB9CQ/

Tactical Lesbian fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 16, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I have those cans as well as a pair of M50s. You'll absolutely want an amp for the Q701s.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I have those cans as well as a pair of M50s. You'll absolutely want an amp for the Q701s.

I also have the M50s :D and yeah, when I said probably, I meant definitely. Haha.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I see some reviews complaining about the relative lack of bass; will that be solved with the amp? I've never amped a pair of headphones before.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

ryan_woody posted:

I see some reviews complaining about the relative lack of bass; will that be solved with the amp? I've never amped a pair of headphones before.

Which headphones?

edit: http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-Over-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B003BYRGKY/
I have owned a pair of these, the bass was probably the most exaggerated of any cans I've heard. They're also easy to drive, but I'd still recommend the dac/amp especially at that low price. V-Moda has a new version, the M-100 which I'm not sure of the differences, but its' debut dropped the price of this predecessor (Crossfade LPs) significantly.

Tactical Lesbian fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 16, 2013

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Which headphones?

The AKG Q701s.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

ryan_woody posted:

The AKG Q701s.

Relatively, yeah, compared to other headphones in the price bracket I guess. Compared to the AKG K701 definitely an improvement in bass. I think you should give the Beyerdynamic a looksie.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Relatively, yeah, compared to other headphones in the price bracket I guess. Compared to the AKG K701 definitely an improvement in bass. I think you should give the Beyerdynamic a looksie.

Hm. The DT 880 pro 250-Ohm look like they'll be on my watch-list. Would you recommend amplifying those, as well?

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

ryan_woody posted:

Hm. The DT 880 pro 250-Ohm look like they'll be on my watch-list. Would you recommend amplifying those, as well?

The DT990 pro 250 ohm are on sale for 150 right now. They're worth literally double that.

at 250 ohms I guarantee you will NEED an amp. I have this coming in the mail now:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CICPMA6/

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure I read somewhere that AKG themselves confirmed that there should be no difference between the k and q 701 other than cosmetics?

Anyway, the K550's are on sale here for $140 and will have more bass than the q701's and also don't need an amp much if at all. http://www.nfm.com/DetailsPage.aspx?productid=35054360 I find them much more comfortable than beer dynamic anything but that may be a function of my giant head.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

powderific posted:

Pretty sure I read somewhere that AKG themselves confirmed that there should be no difference between the k and q 701 other than cosmetics?

Anyway, the K550's are on sale here for $140 and will have more bass than the q701's and also don't need an amp much if at all. http://www.nfm.com/DetailsPage.aspx?productid=35054360 I find them much more comfortable than beer dynamic anything but that may be a function of my giant head.

News to me, thanks!

also yeah I was worried about the Beyerdynamics pro line (stronger clamp, coiled cable, cosmetic differences) being uncomfortable, but it's a good thing I went with them because honestly they're kind of loose on my head even with the upgraded clamp!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ryan_woody posted:

A bit (the amp will definitely help the dynamics) but don't expect the Q701 to ever bump particularly hard. The bass (or lack thereof) is comparable to other open headphones within that price range like the AD900X. Open cans like that generally tend to have weaker bass in exchange for stuff like airier mids and highs, "wider" soundstage, and the perception of better instrument separation. To use an analogy I like- if closed cans are like a club, then open ones are like an outdoor concert. Both have different strengths and weaknesses.

I like using my Q701's to listen to my jazz, classical, and indie LP's and sometimes ambient or low key electronic stuff. When I want stronger bass I'll use the M50's. At some point I'm going to buy some fancier "bassy" headphones but I just bought the Q701's a couple of weeks ago.

DancingKittycat
Jun 1, 2007

Bis 34 war i Sozialist, wor aa ka Beruf

powderific posted:

Actually not quite: the Q701 is equivalent to the K702. The difference being that you can swap the cable.

This was basically the deciding factor for me after my cats mauled my wife's super expensive in-ears.

Regarding AKG in general, as far as I am aware, the 701s are among the last of their products still produced in Austria (alongside the K3003 I think), with most other stuff being churned out in China alongside Harman's other brands.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Lots of AKG misinformation. The K701/K702 are the same headphones, audibly, with aesthetic differences. The Q701 have slightly boosted bass. The graph of the three can be seen here.

The differences are subtle, but you can see the Q701 is slightly boosted in the lows, likely the same drivers but mild dampening added in the housing.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Tactical Lesbian posted:

As an aside, for just a bit more the B&W P7s are much better than the P5s. I didn't like the P5s when I auditioned them but liked the P7s even better than the Momentums so I ended up purchasing them.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Midorka posted:

Lots of AKG misinformation. The K701/K702 are the same headphones, audibly, with aesthetic differences. The Q701 have slightly boosted bass. The graph of the three can be seen here.

The differences are subtle, but you can see the Q701 is slightly boosted in the lows, likely the same drivers but mild dampening added in the housing.

And this graph shows them to be almost exactly identical: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/akg-quincy-jones-q701-sound-and-measurements

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tactical Lesbian posted:

The DT990 pro 250 ohm are on sale for 150 right now. They're worth literally double that.

at 250 ohms I guarantee you will NEED an amp. I have this coming in the mail now:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CICPMA6/
My friend's Sennheiser HD 650's make me want to upgrade my HD 580's for a little more bass since I listen to a lot of electronic music and soundtracks. Since the 650's are around $400 these days, would the DT990's get me where I want to go?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 18, 2013

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
I'm looking for a pair of sturdier, slightly more expensive ones where the wires will not tangle and break so easily since my most recent pair broke. I'm willing to sacrifice some quality over durability.

Budget: ~$100

Source: Ipod Classic, 3DS, sometimes my laptop but not often.

Isolation: No. I mostly use them at home.

Preferred Type of Headphones: Over-ear only. IEM and earbuds are uncomfortable for me. Something that will completely fill over my ears too.

Preferred Tonal Balance: Balanced

Past Headphones: Sennheiser HD 201, the default iPod earbuds that I absolutely hated. The Sennheiser one had sounded good to me for the price, but the wires got tangled up no matter what I tried and eventually caused the pair to break.

Preferred Music: Pop, nature sounds, LPs, video game music for when I'm gaming.

AlphaOne
Apr 7, 2011
Is it reasonable to buy a pair of Audio Technicas with the 3d wing system without trying them on first?

Massdrop has the ATH-W1000X for a reasonable price and is promising warranty support. The most common cons: 1/4" plug only and non-neutral sound are fine for what I want. A lot of reviews mention the support system as being poor or loose for some users. I can't find the woodies in stores and their cheaper headphones use a different support method. Is it a mistake to buy these without being able to demo?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I used to have the A900 that has the same type of wing support and headband. They didn't fit as tightly as my HD-580, but even on my average head they weren't loose. They're never going to be something that you could take jogging, however they'll do fine for sitting and listening.

AlphaOne
Apr 7, 2011

Retarded Pimp posted:

I used to have the A900 that has the same type of wing support and headband. They didn't fit as tightly as my HD-580, but even on my average head they weren't loose. They're never going to be something that you could take jogging, however they'll do fine for sitting and listening.

That is very reassuring. I don't see them leaving the house much, I don't have anything portable that they could even plug into. Seems like a waste to have anything other than a 3.5mm plug these days. Perhaps I'm naive about what the trade-off is there.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

My friend's Sennheiser HD 650's make me want to upgrade my HD 580's for a little more bass since I listen to a lot of electronic music and soundtracks. Since the 650's are around $400 these days, would the DT990's get me where I want to go?

I can't say for sure, as I haven't listened to the Sennheisers. The DT990s are good with mid bass, but don't respond very well to sub bass. They are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, too. For open headphones, I think they're great in the bass department.

edit: listening to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v7T7L3g1yw and I'm pretty sure I can feel my ear drums vibrating

Tactical Lesbian fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

planetarial posted:

I'm looking for a pair of sturdier, slightly more expensive ones where the wires will not tangle and break so easily since my most recent pair broke. I'm willing to sacrifice some quality over durability.

Budget: ~$100

Source: Ipod Classic, 3DS, sometimes my laptop but not often.

Isolation: No. I mostly use them at home.

Preferred Type of Headphones: Over-ear only. IEM and earbuds are uncomfortable for me. Something that will completely fill over my ears too.

Preferred Tonal Balance: Balanced

Past Headphones: Sennheiser HD 201, the default iPod earbuds that I absolutely hated. The Sennheiser one had sounded good to me for the price, but the wires got tangled up no matter what I tried and eventually caused the pair to break.

Preferred Music: Pop, nature sounds, LPs, video game music for when I'm gaming.

for that price dude you can't go wrong with the Audio Technica ath-m50s -- they're like the quintessential entry level cans; everyone's got a pair