Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

misguided rage posted:

I'd probably finish covering NA. You get a bit more money, and the SA bonus isn't too great.

The SA bonus is actually way more relevant now that all the critical research takes longer, and all the autopsies now give really useful stuff instead of just being things you backfilled once you were stalled out waiting for enough weapon fragments to research the stuff you really wanted. Add that it's a really easy continent to cover (and thus stop panic from increasing in) and I think it's definitely worth putting both satellites there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Brainamp posted:

Given how much it unlocks now, I'd say it's good. Course that's only for early game.
Eh it's still not that great.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
First terror mission comes up when every non-rookie is either wounded or getting their limbs chopped off...

Nice knowing you, Germany. Have fun with that because there is no way two rookies are gonna pull that one off.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I am certain I installed Clormal correctly but the changes don't seem to have taken effect - I start a Classic game and there's no OTS in my base at the start. Is there any reason that might be happening? Any step that's commonly skipped?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

misguided rage posted:

Eh it's still not that great.

With everything taking so much longer it easily saves 2 months of research time. Research time that gets you research credits, Memetic Skin, Jumpy Legs, Respirator Implant, Servomotors, Shaped Armor, Chitin Plating, Secondary heart and immunity to mind control/seekers.

Those are huge to get in month 2 instead od month 6. You'd be struggling to get 2 of those in addition to Beams and meld considering how long everything take now.

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?

Classic Ironman. While 26 Aliens doesn't sound like many, rest assured 10 of them were Mechatoids another 4 Cyberdisks. :supaburn:

I was so lucky my Colonel Mech Squad Leader was not out in recovery or something. Result: 3 dead rookies, 4 great or severly injured.. :(

edit: it was alsmost as bad as one downed ufo, where all aliens triggered inside the ship at the same time: 2 mechtoids, 1 cyberdisk, 3 sectoid commanders, 3 sectoids and 2 drones. Fun times.... :suicide:

wilbur.walsh fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 17, 2013

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The infestation mission is nuts. On the one hand it's nice to not have to give a drat about cover for a single mission, on the other hand holy jesus Chrysalids aaaaaaa. I had a single rookie survive it by just booking it towards the evac chased by a half-dozen of the fuckers.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Dr Snofeld posted:

I am certain I installed Clormal correctly but the changes don't seem to have taken effect - I start a Classic game and there's no OTS in my base at the start. Is there any reason that might be happening? Any step that's commonly skipped?

I would like to know this too - I have noticed no changes from regular classic

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I've been playing through the PS3 version for about a week and there is very obviously something I'm not getting about the game because I'm playing on easy and I'm getting my rear end kicked up and down the map. It's getting worse and more frustrating as the game continues further. Until I figure out what the hell is happening I'm shelving this game for something I'll actually enjoy playing.

I've been trying to take it slow and not take on too much until I'm ready for it (but I do most random missions as they come up). Regardless, the aliens seem to be getting stronger at a quicker rate than I am even though I haven't progressed the plot in quite awhile. I barely scraped through the alien base and my experience there made me decide to double down on my plot non-progression but I'm doing terribly anyway.

The last battle I actually won saw ten to fifteen powerful enemies literally come out from under the fog of war at the same time, and three of them were super-tough enemies I hadn't even encountered before. The only reason I survived that battle was sheer luck; most of the enemies were unfortunate enough to have appeared directly in the line of fire of my two heavies and so they got the poo poo rocketed out of them. I've been having trouble killing much since.

And I'm absolutely convinced that a lot of enemies that I can't see are teleporting around the map randomly or some other bullshit.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
I really like the introduction of Mechtoids. They're like mini-sectopods and they usually come with sectoids/sectodi commanders, which keep sectoids relevant in the mid game, and sectoid commanders were rarely seen in the original XCOM and were kind of a joke when they were seen (since they were sitting in a cockpit or some other easily breachable area).

quote:

I've been playing through the PS3 version for about a week and there is very obviously something I'm not getting about the game because I'm playing on easy and I'm getting my rear end kicked up and down the map. It's getting worse and more frustrating as the game continues further. Until I figure out what the hell is happening I'm shelving this game for something I'll actually enjoy playing.

You might try watching some LPs to see how people play the game?

Some general tips for the tactical layer (since you mentioned having problems winning missions):

-Never dash unless you're deliberately using it to trigger an overwatch. (dashing gets a reduced chance of being hit from overwatch)
-Always have your guys in full cover if possible, otherwise half cover. Never be out in the open.
-Aliens don't get to shoot until they've been triggered - this is why you want to move through maps slowly until you've cleared some packs out.
-Cover works by creating a line, and flanking doesn't happen until they're on the other side of that line. Unless you have aiming angles on. If you have aiming angles on, turn it off. It hurts more than it helps.

oswald ownenstein fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 17, 2013

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Does anyone else feel like the first terror mission is way way easier? Granted this is only my second campaign, but both missions were like... two chrysalids and four floaters. Both times I was still rocking ballistic/basic armor and came out completely unscathed.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
I finally got some free time to play Enemy Within, finally. I don't even know what the gently caress. The game just runs like rear end, I get audio stutter, low framerate and random crashes to desktop. It's completely and utterly unplayable. Normal XCOM still runs absolutely perfect on max settings. To say I'm disappointed would be the understatement of the year. This is on PC, naturally. Any suggestions?

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?
I've experimented with snapshot-snipers but the results have been hugely disappointing (on Classic). Snapshot snipers are really good at long-range-but-within-sight shooting. I never want to trade shots at that distance. Either the Squad sight sniper finishes them from half a mile away, or I get closer to abuse explosives and assualt-abilities. Snapshot snipers can't close in for that 100% kill :( Closing in for kills just got a lot safer with mimetic skin too.

nessin posted:

Anyone tried going full Gene mods rather than investing some/all Meld in MECs? Just curious how powerful they are overall, it takes a lot more meld to beef up even half a squad versus maintaining one or two MECs, and while a couple of the gene mods are plain powerful, it seems the majority of them are kinda meh.

Mimetic Skin is better than using ghost armor. Especially for finding Meld. My favorite strategy is using my one A-team colonel with mimetic skin rushing in front of the B-team. Dash untill I find something. Since you can stay cloaked forever your B-team can setup as they like and mow down all the aliens on your terms. And any xcom with Second heart is basicly immortal.

One or two mecs are really cool for drawing fire. Aliens love damaging MECs instead of finishing off wounded soldiers. And I guess there is a window of 1-2 months where they are hugely ahead of the curve compared to the other XCOMs. Regular xcoms with gene-mods+psi+rank is going to outclass MECS badly long term. I suspect. Though one MEC is always cool for destroying cover.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Yes, Dr. Vahlen, we should probably avoid the tentacles. What was your PH.D. in, anyway, Stating the loving Obvious?

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Dr Snofeld posted:

Meis posted:

I would like to know this too - I have noticed no changes from regular classic
The changes for the Clormal difficulty mod (Classic with Normal Geoscape) are minimal and mainly related to panic. The most apparent different should be in the starting levels of panic:

STARTING_PANIC_EASY=0
STARTING_PANIC_NORMAL=0
STARTING_PANIC_HARD=0
STARTING_PANIC_CLASSIC=16

Normally the starting panic level for Classic is 8, but for Clormal it starts off at zero, like on Normal mode. There are other settings related to panic that are also modified, but not many. Basically with Clormal events that cause or remove panic should behave just like on Normal difficulty, which should make the Classic game easier.

The EXALT are also set to Normal levels for Classic difficulty in the DefaultGameData.ini file. I tested that change and it worked, and I believe the change is commented in the ini file.

In the next maintenance release for Implassic I'll see about adding comments next to the parameters that were changed in the DefaultGameCore.ini file for each mod variation. I kept comments minimal to avoid issues caused by typos.

On the OTS, I believe appearance of the OTS for Normal difficulty is controlled by the game's EXE or UPK files, which the mod doesn't make changes to. The Implassic mod and its variations only adjust the settings available in the INI files. I'll have to add this info about the missing OTS to the mod's FAQ section.

EDIT: I just tested modifying the OTS costs and rank and it did not make the OTS appear Clormal, so scratching out all that below. This confirms the game EXE or UPK files controls the starting appearance on Normal and not Classic.

If you still want the OTS to appear like in Normal then I believe you can modify the game's DefaultGameCore.ini file to reduce the minimum rank of the first OTS ability, which seemed to work in Enemy Unknown. I'll have to test that out to confirm if it still works.

Here's a sample of the OTS section from the DGC.ini file:
; OTS Upgrades
OTSBalance=(eTech=eOTS_Will_I, iCash=200, eRank=eRank_Sergeant)
OTSBalance=(eTech=eOTS_SquadSize_I, iCash=50, eRank=eRank_Sergeant)
OTSBalance=(eTech=eOTS_XP_I, iCash=125, eRank=eRank_Sergeant)

Any other support questions you should post in the mod's discussion thread here at nexus:
http://xcom.nexusmods.com/mods/17/?...%3D808222&pUp=1

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 17, 2013

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Zore posted:

With everything taking so much longer it easily saves 2 months of research time. Research time that gets you research credits, Memetic Skin, Jumpy Legs, Respirator Implant, Servomotors, Shaped Armor, Chitin Plating, Secondary heart and immunity to mind control/seekers.

Those are huge to get in month 2 instead od month 6. You'd be struggling to get 2 of those in addition to Beams and meld considering how long everything take now.
Research credits are nice but unless you're rushing containment at the expense of everything else you're not gonna have it up until sometime mid month 2 anyway. Everything else you listed comes from two autopsies (which take like 2 days each) and mechtoid autopsies, which I don't think can possibly show up that early.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Geight posted:

Does anyone else feel like the first terror mission is way way easier? Granted this is only my second campaign, but both missions were like... two chrysalids and four floaters. Both times I was still rocking ballistic/basic armor and came out completely unscathed.

Don't underestimate the value of experience. If you've gone in mostly blind then the sudden double whammy of Chrssies and Floaters can really sideswipe you.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

misguided rage posted:

Research credits are nice but unless you're rushing containment at the expense of everything else you're not gonna have it up until sometime mid month 2 anyway. Everything else you listed comes from two autopsies (which take like 2 days each) and mechtoid autopsies, which I don't think can possibly show up that early.

Mechtoids have always shown up mid month 2 for me. Thin Men, Seeker, Chryssalid and Muton autopsies are what you need for everything else I listed, plus Sectoid Commander and Cyberdiscs (who show up Alien Base). Depending on how many scientists you have that's anywhere from 7-12 days apiece for each of those, and that's after the 30 days for basic lasers (because you won't have research credits) and 16 days for weapon fragments/Meld then 21 days for Arc Thrower/Alien Containment.

South America literally cuts out half of that research time for the cost of two satellites and gives you some of the best toys in the game at the point the game is most difficult. Like Laser Cannons before the ship that fucks up your basic interceptor, and better weapons for your Heavies/MECs/Assaults/Snipers.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

I wonder what would happen if you added MEC perks to the allowed list for training roulette?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

poptart_fairy posted:

I'd suggest Argentina and Brazil for We Have Ways. It's a cheap, easy bonus that'll save you a lot of time and hopefully help get you back on track. Asia and Europe are probably the weakest bonuses IMO.

Speak for yourself. The Asia bonus is great for cheaply grabbing up the Squad Size bonuses on a shoestring budget while rushing Sats.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

BenRGamer posted:

Speak for yourself. The Asia bonus is great for cheaply grabbing up the Squad Size bonuses on a shoestring budget while rushing Sats.

I can't hear you over the sound of Mutons breaking after one a few hours in Vahlen's care. :smugdog:

I dunno...I've never really felt pressured enough that Asia or Europe's bonuses would have swung things for me. Granted I've yet to play on Impossible to any meaningful degree so it might be a bit more dramatic there.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

hhhmmm posted:

I've experimented with snapshot-snipers but the results have been hugely disappointing (on Classic). Snapshot snipers are really good at long-range-but-within-sight shooting. I never want to trade shots at that distance. Either the Squad sight sniper finishes them from half a mile away, or I get closer to abuse explosives and assualt-abilities. Snapshot snipers can't close in for that 100% kill :( Closing in for kills just got a lot safer with mimetic skin too.

Mimetic Skin is better than using ghost armor. Especially for finding Meld. My favorite strategy is using my one A-team colonel with mimetic skin rushing in front of the B-team. Dash untill I find something. Since you can stay cloaked forever your B-team can setup as they like and mow down all the aliens on your terms. And any xcom with Second heart is basicly immortal.

One or two mecs are really cool for drawing fire. Aliens love damaging MECs instead of finishing off wounded soldiers. And I guess there is a window of 1-2 months where they are hugely ahead of the curve compared to the other XCOMs. Regular xcoms with gene-mods+psi+rank is going to outclass MECS badly long term. I suspect. Though one MEC is always cool for destroying cover.
Even after I got a few people fully psychic, genemodded, and ranked up, my MECs were still holding their own pretty well. They certainly weren't outclassed, and I never felt like I was short on killing power when I fielded two MECs. Though, one of my MECs was a colonel support before I converted her (and I think that while the support ability looks good on paper, its outclassed by the sniper ability since the MEC is going to draw all of the fire anyhow) which gave her a nice +15 aim over a normal MEC. MECs hit harder than snipers and can fire twice in a round. They're like double-tap snipers all the time, at least ones grown from snipers. The ones grown from heavies also make great assault replacements. Move forward, blow up cover with grenades/collateral damage, let your team kill stuff as you move in, and then you've got kinetic fists, electropulses, or point-blank shots to finish the job on your next turn.

Also, your snapshot sniper isn't going to shine until you get them ITZ and focus your MECs on supporting the sniper. Kill cover and he'll clean up really well. The grenade launcher or the ammo capability rank-up both really help, as does a heavy with grenadier (which I was hugely disappointed to find out does not get buffed by Mayhem. I wanted 9 damage grenades, dammit!). Keep him with your squad and he'll get a lot of completely bullshit kills and save your rear end. ITZ got a huge buff just from the addition of MECs and cover-destroying mechanics, along with squadsight snipers not critting.

edit: Training Roulette should give you a slight xp buff when its on, since you've got a good chance of having a decent soldier turn into a dud pretty quick. On the other hand, it means I might pick rapid reaction at any point in my life, since right now while it seems like a decent skill, its up against HEAT and on the worst aim-progression class in the game. Its, in my opinion, pretty much the only utterly no-brainer choice in the game right now.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 17, 2013

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
The aliens finally invaded my base in early July.

Thankfully, my entire roster except my MEC Colonel was on the line and ready to roll. Only lost 4 of the staffers. Not bad for Classic.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Geight posted:

2 lids is enough to really screw you up if you can't nuke them turn 1. The floaters aren't the problem, but if you have the lids zombify about 3-4 civvies before you put them down, it's game over.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Fintilgin posted:

Yes, Dr. Vahlen, we should probably avoid the tentacles. What was your PH.D. in, anyway, Stating the loving Obvious?

Hey maybe the Seekers are powered by Gatorade™ and the tentacles could be straws that you can use for mid battle refreshment.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
EDIT: Wrong thread! I've been outed!

When it comes to training roulette. Does it affect snipers when they reach Corporal? Because He had to pick from Snap shot and Squadsight like you normally would.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 17, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Is it just me, or has the rate of abductions increased 300% or something? I'm halfway through the third month and I already have five countries leaving the project. I never had this problem playing vanilla.

This is ultimately what's doing me in. I routinely get missions a day or less apart. I need some breathing room XCOM! Plus it has the side effect of making me forget what exactly I was doing in the base.

quote:

Add a one-two minute cooldown to flying mounts specifically while levelling in draenor. There, I fixed it.

I think you've got the wrong thread commander.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Site Recon while my MECs are in the medbay. :gonk:

Are the "Sectopod [Weapon] explodes" thing just flavour text or can you actually capture mechanised enemy weaponry?

Robocop Horney
Feb 15, 2009

by T. Finninho
After getting seven missions in one day, I had a 22 day period with no missions :psyduck: Of course the next mission is the train council mission, gently caress.

This run really hates me, it has been pure hell and I don't have a clue how I'm still doing well. I haven't lost any high-ranked soldiers (though some of them have shot will because of all of the critical/grave wounds), I will have full satellite coverage by the end of the month, minus two nations, and no one has withdrawn (I'm towards the end of Month 3 now), I haven't failed a mission and I now have two gene mod soldiers and laser rifles online, armor in a few days. I've been getting every Meld and all of these flight computers and power sources are undamaged. This is so weird.

Robocop Horney fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 17, 2013

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If you don't activate the Progeny missions, do you just never figure out how the aliens were able to mindcontrol so many of XCOM's staff?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

misguided rage posted:

Everything else you listed comes from two autopsies (which take like 2 days each)

This is with 9 Scientists

2 days, nothing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm still kind of disappointed Firaxis didn't go the extra mile and force us to fight Thin Mecs.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Well, here's a new bug, apparently sometimes the game just forgets to give your operatives their weapons back:

Takes a moment to fix but I still love the idea of her carrying an EMP canon to an abduction mission

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

EDIT: Wrong thread! I've been outed!

When it comes to training roulette. Does it affect snipers when they reach Corporal? Because He had to pick from Snap shot and Squadsight like you normally would.

Weapon specific Skills are always available, so Snipers always get those two choices and their last two are always the same, heavies always get a choice of their Rocket specific stuff as well.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
SA bonus is awesome because you can get the bonus 2 damage for your MECs immediately after your mission.

Robocop Horney
Feb 15, 2009

by T. Finninho

Ravenfood posted:

If you don't activate the Progeny missions, do you just never figure out how the aliens were able to mindcontrol so many of XCOM's staff?

Actually is there any benefit to either of the two optional Council Mission sets, other than the soldiers they provide? I never end up using the soldiers anyway and these missions are hard and annoying as hell and the game would be more fun without them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Slingshot provides an early and easy Battleship assault, which is 300 kinds of useful. But that's all there is to Slingshot at least.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
Very quick modding question:

I've never played around with XCOM mods but reading up on it, it seemed pretty complicated what with the various settings being baked into the .exe.
I read that, with Enemy Within installed, it's no longer necessary to fiddle around with hex editors or stuff like that and that the game will read and apply all the settings from the \XEW\XComGame\Config\DefaultGameCore.ini file.

Is this true? Can I just go hogwild on the file, editing values, start a new game and be set?

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 17, 2013

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I got a wired xbox 360 controller for my PC a few weeks back and started playing enemy within using it - I gotta say I vastly prefer the 360 controls to the keyboard and mouse.

The reason why is that it 'flows' really efficiently from menu to menu for you, and feels right. In particular, dragging the aim around for a rocket/grenade or the cursor when working out where you want a troop to move to feels a lot more intuitive on the gamepad compared to the mouse.

Also, you set up your shots by pressing the right trigger button as if this were a console FPS, which adds to the gameplay feel. The controller vibration is also nice for immersion.

Firaxis did an amazing job making this game work extremely well on 360 controllers - if you don't own a wired 360 controller for other games on your PC already, you really ought to as they're presently the gold standard right now of PC controls.

So yeah - get a wired 360 controller - it feels GREAT.

(FYI for mac users - none of these controllers will work on a mac operating system without buying third party software, but will work on a windows partition for a mac.)

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Okay, so explain Clormal to me. I like Classic difficulty when I'm fighting and the research times/having to buy an OTS/etc. I just don't like how easily panicked nations are in Classic, and no matter how hard I try I can never seem to protect the whole world because (AT LEAST) one country flips its poo poo and withdraws before I can get enough sattelites in the sky. It sounds like Clormal is what I'd want but I want to hear from the people who use it or made it if it's right for me.

Also, do we know the prerequisites for getting a medal during a mission yet?

khy fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 17, 2013

• Locked thread