Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Well I wish the stars would align and we'd get the type of titles they use to release on laserdisc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

SALT CURES HAM posted:

It's turning the CC from a "this movie rules" badge to a "hipsters like this movie" badge, and I'm not comfortable with it.

If you're feeling uncomfortable you can not buy those movies.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

SALT CURES HAM posted:

You know, I really hate how Criterion has started jumping on whatever indie flavor-of-the-month is hot at any given moment. Antichrist, Tiny Furniture, Fantastic Mr. Fox/Moonrise Kingdom, and Blue is the Warmest Color aren't necessarily bad movies (though Tiny Furniture totally is, gently caress that movie) but it seems to defeat what I thought was the purpose of the CC.

It's turning the CC from a "this movie rules" badge to a "hipsters like this movie" badge, and I'm not comfortable with it.

The first clause of their mission statement is: "Since 1984, the Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films"

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

SALT CURES HAM posted:

You know, I really hate how Criterion has started jumping on whatever indie flavor-of-the-month is hot at any given moment. Antichrist, Tiny Furniture, Fantastic Mr. Fox/Moonrise Kingdom, and Blue is the Warmest Color aren't necessarily bad movies (though Tiny Furniture totally is, gently caress that movie) but it seems to defeat what I thought was the purpose of the CC.

Well, they are also a business, and why wouldn't they release these movies in a timely manner? It's a great way for them to make money and to get the brand out there. And let's face it, the Fantastic Mr. Fox is not a surprise, since they've handled most of the other Wes Anderson releases. I mean, they are still releasing Harold Lloyd and Kurosawa films, so it's not like they are just becoming hipster central.

But I'll grant you that Tiny Furniture was unwatchably bad.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Cemetry Gator posted:

But I'll grant you that Tiny Furniture was unwatchably bad.

Some people like it. :shrug:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

All the new(er) films help pay the bills. Criterion's best selling release of all time is Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Obviously, art house staples like The 400 Blows and Breathless will always sell well. But I don't think they're setting records with stuff like the Von Sternberg silents or Jean Painleve shorts. Apparently they only sold a few hundred Andrei Rubelov laserdiscs.

Same reason why we got stuff like Armageddon and The Rock when Disney was still releasing bare-bones DVDs.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

(This is nitpicking, but Moonrise Kingdom isn't a Criterion release. Yet.)

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Criterion releases awesome Italian movies and I love them for it. Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion alone earns them a million love points from me.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I think their output recently has been pretty good, though I'd give anything for some Peter Greenaway.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Criterion definitely isn't a "this movie rules" badge. Night Train to Munich, Howard's End and The King of Marvin Gardens are all kind of mediocre, and I'm just naming movies that I own. Criterion will never be only the good movies but releasing popular titles helps them get the money to release stuff that doesn't sell as well.

Cloks fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 17, 2013

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Also hipsters love plenty of Criterion's more "classic" fare, not just the Tiny Furniture stuff.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I think their output recently has been pretty good, though I'd give anything for some Peter Greenaway.

It could happen since several are with Film Four. The Cook... is Miramax, but Lionsgate has oddly not released it yet.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Who cares? They are a home video company, not some objective award for excellence. Sorry it hurts your Brand Affinity.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm still mad at them for not doing a bluray rerelease of The Bad Sleep Well!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Criterion has already released Kechiche's The Secret of the Grain, so it's not exactly a jumping-on-the-hipster-bandwagon move for them to release Blue is the Warmest Color. And they had released Lars Von Trier and Wes Anderson films before too. So really the example you cite that holds any water is Tiny Furniture.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
And again, that isn't a universally loathed movie by any means.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I liked Tiny Furniture a lot. :colbert: However, I am a big fan of mumblecore and even caught Funny Ha Ha in its original theatrical run.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist
I thought Tiny Furniture was pretty decent, but not great. But I do think it was "important" in its portrayal of contemporary emerging adults, in being an accessible example of an alienating genre, and most importantly in being the precursor to the absolute loving cultural shitstorm that is Girls. Its kind of like the Russian Revolution of 1905 vs. the Revolutions of 1917.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
Ugggh, one more run...

Not shown here: Band of Outsiders

The 99 Reasons was kind of a neat little thing. I threw it and the Qatsi films on while playing some dancey music at my birthday party yesterday, it worked out great!

MOD EDIT timg'd because HUGE.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 18, 2013

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

What's the 99 reasons thing? Is it a DVD or Bluray of a bunch of their Three Reasons videos?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Hewlett posted:

What's the 99 reasons thing? Is it a DVD or Bluray of a bunch of their Three Reasons videos?

Jay Z's diss track on the Criterion Collection

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I Before E posted:

Jay Z's diss track on the Criterion Collection

He's got 99 problems but Lubitsch ain't one?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Cloks posted:

Criterion definitely isn't a "this movie rules" badge. Night Train to Munich, Howard's End and The King of Marvin Gardens are all kind of mediocre, and I'm just naming movies that I own. Criterion will never be only the good movies but releasing popular titles helps them get the money to release stuff that doesn't sell as well.

Oh come now, The King of Marvin Gardens is pretty good. It's not great but it's a far sight better than Drive, He Said or A Safe Place, both of which are in the same box set.

Although worst Criterion film I've seen is hands down Border Radio. Sloppy, boring, doesn't know how to end. Thankfully I only grabbed it from the library and didn't put money down on it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

My least favorite Criterion that I've seen is still Alphaville, but I might be alone on that one. I like the other Godards I've seen but that one was just a chore to sit through.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

TrixRabbi posted:

Oh come now, The King of Marvin Gardens is pretty good. It's not great but it's a far sight better than Drive, He Said or A Safe Place, both of which are in the same box set.

Although worst Criterion film I've seen is hands down Border Radio. Sloppy, boring, doesn't know how to end. Thankfully I only grabbed it from the library and didn't put money down on it.

I meant to put A Safe Place, whoops. Got the titles mixed up.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Cloks posted:

I meant to put A Safe Place, whoops. Got the titles mixed up.

Ah. Because King of Marvin Gardens is pretty drat good, and has wonderful performances, especially Nicholson playing meek and introverted. I'd listen to his radio show. The only thing A Safe Place has going for it is Orson Welles telling zoo animals to disappear.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
If we're counting Eclipse boxsets the worst I've seen are the Norman Mailer movies they released.

Anyway if Criterion only released ~universally acclaimed~ movies we wouldn't get things like Equinox so gently caress that.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah

Hewlett posted:

Yep, 33 Reasons videos on DVD. My B&N was handing them out to people who were buying from the sale.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Momotaros posted:

Yep, 33 Reasons videos on DVD. My B&N was handing them out to people who were buying from the sale.

Oh that's friggin cool. Wish my B&N did that (then again, haven't bought from this sale yet).

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I really like The King of Marvin Gardens. Bruce Dern is one of my favorite lesser famous actors.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I like old Sci-Fi films and am wondering if there are any recommendations to grab one on Bluray during this sale. I've already got Solaris, World on a Wire, and Brazil.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Asnorban posted:

I like old Sci-Fi films and am wondering if there are any recommendations to grab one on Bluray during this sale. I've already got Solaris, World on a Wire, and Brazil.

Things to Come, Repo Man and Robinson Crusoe on Mars are good picks.

Guzim
Nov 10, 2007

Take me away from this big bad world and agree to marry me. So we can start over again.
The Phantom Carriage blu-ray is $17.89 on Amazon for another 2 hours. http://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Carriage-Criterion-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B0056ANHSQ

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I've seen First Man into Space from the Monsters and Madmen set which I thought was pretty good, but I can't speak for the others. Also, The Blob is pretty good and that's on Blu. So is Fiend without a Face, but that is still only on DVD.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I've seen First Man into Space from the Monsters and Madmen set which I thought was pretty good, but I can't speak for the others. Also, The Blob is pretty good and that's on Blu. So is Fiend without a Face, but that is still only on DVD.

The Atomic Submarine is kind of dull for the first 45 minutes or so until it suddenly becomes astounding. Haven't seen the other two.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
I just blind-bought Something Wild after watching the trailer and reading about the abrupt change of tone when Ray Liotta shows up. I'm going to love this movie even if it's not any good. Can't wait to watch it tomorrow.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Mercaptopropyl posted:

I just blind-bought Something Wild after watching the trailer and reading about the abrupt change of tone when Ray Liotta shows up. I'm going to love this movie even if it's not any good. Can't wait to watch it tomorrow.

It's a hell of a lot of fun; I like it. It's bright and bold and very 90s.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

mod sassinator posted:

I liked Tiny Furniture a lot. :colbert: However, I am a big fan of mumblecore and even caught Funny Ha Ha in its original theatrical run.

Does it count as mumble core? I've heard she gets pissed when people call her work that.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Does it count as mumble core? I've heard she gets pissed when people call her work that.

I don't think of it as mumblecore…but also nobody likes being called mumblecore…and also she's the type to get pissed at what she sees as misapprehensions of her work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
90's grunge bands hated being called "grunge" too.
"Don't label me, man!"