Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Can I just say that the sound design in this show is incredibly good? Especially the Horseman's guns. That assault rifle sounded like a mounted machine gun and his shotgun sounds like a cannon going off..Plus, the loud thumping of his footsteps. Everything about him sounds like Death coming after you. It's a nice bit of effort on their part that makes the Horseman feel..More, somehow. Like every weapon he touches becomes deadlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Just caught up on the latest episode. I absolutely love the headless horseman stomping around and holding his free hand out like he's about to rip a face off.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Polaron posted:

Can I just say that the sound design in this show is incredibly good? Especially the Horseman's guns. That assault rifle sounded like a mounted machine gun and his shotgun sounds like a cannon going off..Plus, the loud thumping of his footsteps. Everything about him sounds like Death coming after you. It's a nice bit of effort on their part that makes the Horseman feel..More, somehow. Like every weapon he touches becomes deadlier.

He's shot well too. A lot of low angles and shots where he can't fit in the frame to make him appear even bigger than he is. They do a great job making a somewhat ridiculous figure feel imposing.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Yeah, it's something that really should come off as corny but looks cool and scary because of some good artistic choices. That's the kind of thing I love to see.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Sir Kodiak posted:

He's shot well too. A lot of low angles and shots where he can't fit in the frame to make him appear even bigger than he is. They do a great job making a somewhat ridiculous figure feel imposing.

Oh, no doubt. Every time he starts doing evil things the camera angles go nuts. It's like even the cameraman is a little afraid of him :v:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Meanwhile I'm assuming this dude is stomping around no set wearing a tight green latex mask.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Watching this week's episode finally.

gently caress, I didn't think I could love this show more, but they actually loving got Revere, Prescott and "The Regulars are coming" right. Among all the historical events this show has totally gone off the wall with, they took the time to have Crane make the "We were British too" speech. I could cry, this makes me so happy. I was literally giving that same speech to my 7th/8th students three weeks ago.

And that's just one thing that happened this week, let alone the return of John Cho, Crane's water and internet interactions, the Sergeant's encounter with the horseman, and I've still got 20 minutes left...

E: omg, the Sally Hemmings conversation. Absolutely beautiful.

Tupping Liberty fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 17, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
^^ Awesome.

I'm pretty sure I watched this episode, and immediately watched it again. This was my favorite one of the season. So funny. So good to see Orlando Jones is finally on board-- he can be a Walter Skinner type character.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

This show is loving awesome, way better than I expected. I like how it just goes all the way with the crazy, and also has good acting and directing, funny moments, creepy moments, a fast pace, and somehow makes it all work and not come off stupid or rushed. The main bad guy is basically an undead, immortal, 18th century version of the terminator, and it's amazing. Pretty much everything about the show is good.

I also like how some cops besides Abigail are getting pulled into the horseman/apocalypse/crazy supernatural stuff conspiracy, rather than it being kept a complete secret.

Croisquessein posted:

E: I grew up in California and the tap water tastes generally icky there

Not in SF and other parts of the bay area :smugbert:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I just caught up on episodes 6 and 7, and I noticed that the British officer who is revealed to be possessed by a demon was named Tarleton. Banastre Tarleton was the British officer who was the model for Jason Isaacs' character, the evil Col. Tavington, in the movie The Patriot, and the actor they cast as Tarleton looked quite a bit like Jason Isaacs.

I loved the extended bit on Jefferson and Sally Hemmings, like you think it's going to be a throwaway line, but no, they keep going and going.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Rabbit Hill posted:

I loved the extended bit on Jefferson and Sally Hemmings, like you think it's going to be a throwaway line, but no, they keep going and going.

I think doing that is sort of the secret to how much fun this show is. It revels in its concept and ridiculousness, and where a group of showrunners with less confidence in their show might dial back the crazy, Sleepy Hollow instead goes that extra mile. It helps that the cast and crew are clearly loving being on the show.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rabbit Hill posted:

Crane's reactions to modern technology and anger over historical inaccuries will never get old and should be part of the series as long as it goes. His smugness over knowing how guns work followed by his "It shoots more then once?" was better humor then most network comedies each reach.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Since I'm not american, I feel like I'm not getting the whole experience from this show. :( We don't learn about the founding fathers or the midnight ride or other american sacred cows in school, just what we pick up from american books and movies. I was right along with Crane going "Sally who?"

It's still a great show, but I'm a little conflicted. Canada is still in the Brittish Commonwealth, so am I supposed to be rooting for the demons?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Angela Christine posted:

Since I'm not american, I feel like I'm not getting the whole experience from this show. :( We don't learn about the founding fathers or the midnight ride or other american sacred cows in school, just what we pick up from american books and movies. I was right along with Crane going "Sally who?"

If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure most Americans forget 50% of the history we're taught in school, and half of the 50% we do remember is probably wrong anyway.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

It's still a great show, but I'm a little conflicted. Canada is still in the Brittish Commonwealth, so am I supposed to be rooting for the demons?

Right there with you. I first heard of Paul Revere and the Midnight Ride from Assassin's Creed 3 earlier this year.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Angela Christine posted:

Don't worry, us Americans don't know anything about Canadian history. Canada just kinda happened - it was there when Christopher Columbus discovered America for the first time ever in history, right? :downs:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Same thing here, more-or-less. I'm a Canadian with about the level of tour guide knowledge about the American Revolution that would make Ichabod :byodood: over, but it's approachable enough and does a good enough explaining things to the viewer that you can keep up and not really miss a step. See: the Sally Hemmings montage.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Wolpertinger posted:

Don't worry, us Americans don't know anything about Canadian history. Canada just kinda happened - it was there when Christopher Columbus discovered America for the first time ever in history, right? :downs:

We don't even remember that we ever fought Canada or that one time you jerks came down and burned down the White House. Bet that's some US History that Canada learns about.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah, I don't remember the War of 1812 being covered until high school, and it was I think it was pretty brief then. Not something we focus on.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Everything I know about American history I learned from Nicolas Cage movies and Hark A Vagrant.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Lycus posted:

Yeah, I don't remember the War of 1812 being covered until high school, and it was I think it was pretty brief then. Not something we focus on.

I'm from Baltimore. The schools there drill in the War of 1812 because of the fact that the National Anthem was written at the Battle of Fort McHenry.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I churned through this on OnDemand this weekend, and I have to say low expectations plus an actual good show led to much enjoyment. Abby is the "strong female character" that puts Whedon to shame. An actual person, with agency, who isn't there as a prop to make Ichabod look good? Why is that so rare in TV? And the show is quite diverse, too. It appeals to me in the same way that Wolfenstein does: occult, crazy action, not taking itself too seriously...

I'm on board this crazy train. Bring on more Ichabod and company. :toot:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mr.capps posted:

I like how we are seeing hints of Death actually having a personality instead of just being a evil headless guy. The way he went back for his axe and him getting legitimately piss at all the fake skulls was pretty funny. It seems like there is going to be more stuff like this in the next episode, so I'll be looking forward to that.

It makes sense that the Horseman goes back for his axe. He can make it glow red hot on command, whereas his guns are just guns. It's clearly some kind of supernatural weapon - possibly even the symbol of his office, something he has to have to keep his full powers.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I want Ichabod to stumble across this in any internet research he does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2AfQ5pa59A

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Now begins the second half of "Almost Hollow" Mondays.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's very important to learn the fist bump, Ichabod.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Starting with a fist bump!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Haha, Ichabod's first fist bump.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Well it's nice that they took the time to add an interrogation mirror to their 200 year old underground lair.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Fist bump was awesome.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Awwww his horse is lonely!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
C'mon that would look great in your den.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Oh god, Hessian Rednecks :ohdear:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh no, a Hessian!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Goddamn Hessians are the worst hunting buddies.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
drat Hessian rednecks

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

404GoonNotFound posted:

Oh god, Hessian Redneck :ohdear:

Fixed.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Dammit! That's why you don't make German friends. They warned you about those Germans!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Postal Parcel posted:

Dammit! That's why you don't make German friends. They warned you about those Germans!

Oh, no, the Germans are mad at me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So now she's a Tomb Raider too. Sure, why not.

• Locked thread