Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Among other things, 25 broke the alias search feature of InstantFox, which hasn't updated since July. Any good alternatives out there?

Also, if you're using SearchWP (and you should be) this is a patched version that fixes the find-in-page function for 25: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12883402/searchwp-2.6.2-fx.xpi

What do you mean? InstantFox is working just fine for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Fangs404 posted:

What do you mean? InstantFox is working just fine for me.

When I type a search alias (like y for youtube) and then a search term, it highlights the alias as if it's recognized, but when I press enter, nothing happens.

edit: fortunately the beta release 2.8.4 fixes the problem https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/instantfox/versions/

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Thank you, I've been looking in the wrong place for the beta releases it seems

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Just don't forget to update to the final release whenever it's out, because I don't think the beta autoupdates.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

https://blog.mozilla.org/ux/2013/11/australis-is-landing-in-firefox-nightly/

:snoop:

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

I can't wait! It's been a long time coming and I am glad they are starting to land Australis. I hope the community receives it well; it looks like the customization is still there (as well as the app menu customizations) and it looks amazing.

woo woo!

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Add-on question: is there something for Firefox that's as good as Hover Zoom for Chrome? I've tried a few of the similar add-ons for Firefox and they just pale in comparison.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

crestfallen posted:

Add-on question: is there something for Firefox that's as good as Hover Zoom for Chrome? I've tried a few of the similar add-ons for Firefox and they just pale in comparison.

Thumbnail Zoom Plus is the best I've found.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Shoot. Yeah, I've used that one and it's not bad, but it isn't nearly as... compatible (?) as Hover Zoom. Dang.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

crestfallen posted:

Shoot. Yeah, I've used that one and it's not bad, but it isn't nearly as... compatible (?) as Hover Zoom. Dang.

The dev seems fairly responsive to site support requests in my experience, if you use their github https://github.com/dadler/thumbnail-zoom/issues

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

jink posted:

I hope the community receives it well;
It's a UI change, the community will act like the sky is falling.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Re-learning UI sucks when you have real things to do. Especially when it is 98% style masturbation over "how I think it should be" that will change again when someone else seizes the reigns.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I can't wait as the default theme right now looks like absolute poo poo in Windows 8/8.1. I've been using some Maxthon theme instead for the time being.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Removing the Addon bar entirely seems dumb to me.
Like someone at Mozilla just hates the fact that there's people out there using it as a status bar like it's 2005 again.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm dreading Australis. In every other case their "streamlining" has been taking something that used to display some kind of status and moving it behind something that requires a mouseover or click. I hate my toolbar buttons being hidden or context-aware, and I want a bar at the bottom of the screen to show where links go without popping up some variable-length half-bar that flashes like crazy as you move your cursor over various links. Looks like they're putting a lot of effort into customization so hopefully I'll be able to get it the way I like it. I just counted and fully half the add-ons I have installed are just to undo previous UI tweaks.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
My only prayer for Australis is that they include a way to separate the refresh button from the URL bar, which is, by the way, the stupidest loving thing ever, holy poo poo.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

The Merkinman posted:

It's a UI change, the community will act like the sky is falling.

The complaints are coming from inside the thread!! :wth:

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Eh, it's a super customizable browser, we can do pretty much whatever we want with it. I'm sure there'll be themes and extensions to change whatever it is we don't like about the new design.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Neowyrm posted:

My only prayer for Australis is that they include a way to separate the refresh button from the URL bar, which is, by the way, the stupidest loving thing ever, holy poo poo.

You know you can do this now, right?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Sereri posted:

You know you can do this now, right?

Not in Australis (although it's probably about 20 minutes of work to write an add-on to do it).

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Avenging Dentist posted:

Not in Australis (although it's probably about 20 minutes of work to write an add-on to do it).

Misread include as introduce.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I hope there is some extension to make the tabs be square-edged.

The chrome-tab looking things just look so weird after using Firefox for a decade now, but I am all in favor of getting rid of the confusing Firefox orange button, especially since I know holding alt for menus will still be there.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Sereri posted:

Misread include as introduce.

Yeah, it's in the non-nightly. I just want to be able to use the One True Browser Configuration of Back, Forward, Home, Refresh, URL Bar.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
There's still no unibar by default?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
No surprise here, but almost everything can already be undone with the Classic Theme Restorer add-on for those who don't like the changes.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Ever since the upgrade to 25, random images will not appear on the forum, and I can't bookmark threads anymore.
Disabling all extensions doesn't help. Any ideas?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I'd first try going to Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled, and if things are working then you'll know its a faulty add-on causing problems, try enabling them one by one until you find the cause. Another thing you can try is getting eCleaner add-on and manually delete any hidden old add-on settings/files you see that you know you don't use anymore, when you remove add-ons they sometimes leave lots of junk behind and sometimes those can cause problems even if you removed said add-on. If all else fails go Help > Troubleshooting Information > Reset Firefox to its default state.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

computer parts posted:

There's still no unibar by default?

Part of the reason the search box is separate from the location bar is so that Google (or whatever your default search provider is) can't see what URL you're typing in. By making them separate, you can still get autocomplete for searches and have a reasonable level of privacy.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I hate it already without having tried it. "Streamlined and organic" my butt. :corsair:

FRINGE has it right. UI overhauls are 99% marketing bullshit, not necessarily better. I mean honestly, their primary feature is rounded tabs. :lol:

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 20, 2013

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Alereon posted:

See if disabling FireIE does it, if not try a clean Firefox profile, that is not normal behavior. Also you may not be able to control this but having old video drivers will murder performance on lower-end systems since it disables hardware cceleration.

I really can't do without an IE emulator in FF since a few critical work sites only support IE (I know!) but I will look at updating drivers. I have full admin right so it should be doable.

By the way, would moving to Pale Moon version of FF be advisable alternative if I wished to revert back to 24?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

WastedJoker posted:

I really can't do without an IE emulator in FF since a few critical work sites only support IE (I know!) but I will look at updating drivers. I have full admin right so it should be doable.
Why not just use your IE-only sites in IE, I don't think most people find enough benefit from having them in the same window to justify the performance costs. That said, if it was working well enough for you before the update, I would try a clean Firefox profile with new drivers before anything drastic like rolling back to an older version.

quote:

By the way, would moving to Pale Moon version of FF be advisable alternative if I wished to revert back to 24?
No, third-party versions don't receive security updates from Mozilla. Those are for messing around on your home computer, not for work.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

jink posted:

I can't wait! It's been a long time coming and I am glad they are starting to land Australis. I hope the community receives it well; it looks like the customization is still there (as well as the app menu customizations) and it looks amazing.

woo woo!

It's not customisable, and breaks pentadactyl, one of few extensions I use. The only customisation it lets you do is move around the button & addressbar, nothing close to what's there in the current stable Firefox.

The new design works fine for basic users (and seems pretty slick to be honest), but it's a step back for power users.

I admit I'm an oddball, but I only have tabs and the addonbar visible when using Firefox, with the navigation bar hidden.
I hope a workaround can be found.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

wooger posted:

It's not customisable, and breaks pentadactyl, one of few extensions I use. The only customisation it lets you do is move around the button & addressbar, nothing close to what's there in the current stable Firefox.

The new design works fine for basic users (and seems pretty slick to be honest), but it's a step back for power users.

I admit I'm an oddball, but I only have tabs and the addonbar visible when using Firefox, with the navigation bar hidden.
I hope a workaround can be found.

Complaining about the nightly breaking an extension is kind of silly....

FWT THE CUTTER
Oct 16, 2007

weed

crestfallen posted:

Imagus works on pretty much every site and is very customizable. It's not on mozilla.org but you can find it here: http://my.opera.com/Deathamns/blog/opera-extension-imagus.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

On every page with flash now, lmao really guys come on

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Modus Trollens posted:

On every page with flash now, lmao really guys come on

For those of us who actually want that behavior, it doesn't work either, since it enables every Flash plugin on the entire site.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
So my Firefox just got the upgrade to 25.0.1, and now the close tab button is located all the way at the end of the tab bar instead of being visible on the active tab button. Was this supposed to happen? I can't seem to find the about:config option to actually switch it back either.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Install Windows posted:

So my Firefox just got the upgrade to 25.0.1, and now the close tab button is located all the way at the end of the tab bar instead of being visible on the active tab button. Was this supposed to happen? I can't seem to find the about :config option to actually switch it back either.

I don't think so. I'm on 25.0.1 as well and my close tab buttons are still on the active tabs themselves.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Make sure browser.tabs.closeButtons is set to 1 in about:config.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Dark One posted:

Make sure browser.tabs.closeButtons is set to 1 in about :config.

Thanks that fixed it.