Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Mortimer posted:

Try running it in windowed mode

Fixed it. Distant land files became corrupted somehow. Reinstalled MGE-XE and rerun the configuration and everything is fine. Does anybody know what the Dynamic Lighting Coefficient settings in MGE-XE do, by chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Upmarket Mango posted:

Does anybody know what the Dynamic Lighting Coefficient settings in MGE-XE do, by chance?

To oversimplify, it affects how lit objects are based on their distance from a light source. The quadratic, linear, and constant numbers determine how quickly the amount of light decreases based on the corresponding equations. You probably don't need to change it, although experimenting with it a little bit is harmless.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So I changed my mgso settings a bit and turned on mge, and now I'm missing random textures from the main game. Nothing game breaking, but things like the knocked over table in Tel Branora are now yellow squares. So far I've decided that I don't care enough to spend the x hours it would take to figure out what went wrong, but I have a feeling that's going to change by Sunday. Any ideas on where I should start looking?

edit: I also installed the tea mod, after I did MGE it stopped screwing up, but I was getting rather errors before that related to the tea mod. Now it works fine though for some reason.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 17, 2013

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Somebody pages and pages ago was asking for a simple sans serif font for Morrowind, here you go.

EDIT:Actually, use this version, the other once causes problems in the journal (This one is one point smaller, 17 vs 18 points. I can't seem to get the Morrowind Font Maker program to work with anything less than 17. 16 is a no-go!)

Preview:

To use it, unzip the file into the morrowind/data files/fonts directory, then open the morrowind.ini file and search for [FONTS] and edit like so:

Edit: Just change the first one, not the second.
Or, for maximum roleplaying you can do this:

Immersion, bitch! :getin:

Also, has anyone tried This mod? Kinda intrigued.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 16, 2013

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Agents are GO! posted:

Also, has anyone tried This mod? Kinda intrigued.

How much time went into this :psyduck:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

GrumpyDoctor posted:

How much time went into this :psyduck:

What's funnier is that this is the remake. The original didn't match up to his vision, so he redid it from scratch. :psyduck:

Edit: at least this is merely WTF and not the usual :nws::nms: Nexus anime/furdick crap.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
To go back on the topic of additional soundtrack, it seems some crappy browser game named Wartune would fit right in... :v:

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 16, 2013

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Agents are GO! posted:

Immersion, bitch! :getin:

It's... it's beautiful :stare:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mister Adequate posted:

It's... it's beautiful :stare:

If it had numbers and punctuation it would be. I have a daedric ttf font, but the font maker won't make a useable font, I have no idea why. I'm going to tinker with it on my next day off, as well as try and polish some of the journal interface graphics.

Now I have a question for the thread: now that we have a simple one shot way to upgrade the graphics, what are some of the best content mods? Either new, like that Muffinwind mod (which I'm totally using for my next playthrough, if only for the chefs hat I see in the screenshots) or expanded, like Urviriths Legacy (really regretting not grabbing the other Telvanni mods that work with that*.)

So far, I have on my list for my next playthrough:

• Muffinwind
• the Telvanni suite: Uvirith's Legacy, Rise of House Telvanni, and the other ones that work with it.
• Great House Dagoth or The Sixth House
• The Latest Build of Tamriel Rebuilt

I've seen some mentions of an expansion of the Temple questline, I'd love to have a name for that mod.

Anything for the Morag Tong, the Theives Guild, etc?

* I will admit, to my shame, that I never played Telvanni before, because I couldn't find the Council House. D'oh. I see what all the fuss is about now.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I played the original Muffinwind ages ago. It's pretty much designed to be as silly as possible. It's worth a playthrough because it's well made, but don't go into it expecting anything particularly serious.

I mean, it's a mod about muffin monsters, so that's to be expected.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

What's there in the way of mods that add wildlife to Morrowind without adding a whole bunch of random crap like fairies and water nymphs?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

How important is it to install .Net Framework 2.0 for the steam version of Morrowind for Win7 x64? I used the link in the OP and got the file and all that, but the installer failed and said I have to use a "Turn Windows features on or off" thing in the control panel to install it.

I did a bit of googling and someone said that the framework stuff should be included in windows.

Also, which mods would be essential even if you plan on running a mostly vanilla game without graphics overhauls or view distance stuff? Is there an Unofficial Patch and/or Widescreen mod or something like that?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Upmarket Mango posted:

What's there in the way of mods that add wildlife to Morrowind without adding a whole bunch of random crap like fairies and water nymphs?

The latest version of Creatures (Creatures XI) comes with 3 plugins. 1 adds everything in the mod, 1 is a "semi-lore" version that only adds those creatures that might fit into the game alright, and 1 is a "lore" version that basically only adds things that have existed in other games or have been mentioned somehow. It's a well made mod in general, regardless of the version you choose to use.

Krowley posted:

How important is it to install .Net Framework 2.0 for the steam version of Morrowind for Win7 x64? I used the link in the OP and got the file and all that, but the installer failed and said I have to use a "Turn Windows features on or off" thing in the control panel to install it.

I did a bit of googling and someone said that the framework stuff should be included in windows.

Also, which mods would be essential even if you plan on running a mostly vanilla game without graphics overhauls or view distance stuff? Is there an Unofficial Patch and/or Widescreen mod or something like that?

I don't know about other people's experiences, but in my own experience on a newly formatted computer running 64-bit Windows 7, I didn't have to deliberately install .NET framework 2.0 in order to get the game working. It might have been installed with one of the many automatic Windows updates installed in the first few days of running the computer, but I certainly didn't have to hunt the files down and do it all manually.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 18, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Krowley posted:

How important is it to install .Net Framework 2.0 for the steam version of Morrowind for Win7 x64?

Depends on what you want to use, Morrowind itself does not make any use of .NET, so the importance of installing it is "none at all".

You do need .NET Framework 2.0+ if you want to use MGE or MGE-XE. And the setup program for MGSO apparently requires .NET Framework 4.0+.

Krowley posted:

Get the Morrowind Code Patch. You can select only the fixes and leave the gameplay tweaks unchanged if you want vanilla behavior. You can also get the Unofficial Morrowind Patch/Morrowind Patch Project (it has changed names back and forth, it's a bit confusing).

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 18, 2013

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Thanks, I installed both of those along with the 4GB patch, and I tried using FPS optimizer to get a proper widescreen FOV going but that program seems kinda wonky so I'll make do without it.

Skipping MGE and all that because I don't really care about old graphics, and not being able to save your game while outdoors is a huge :wtf: dealbreaker.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Krowley posted:

Thanks, I installed both of those along with the 4GB patch, and I tried using FPS optimizer to get a proper widescreen FOV going but that program seems kinda wonky so I'll make do without it.

Skipping MGE and all that because I don't really care about old graphics, and not being able to save your game while outdoors is a huge :wtf: dealbreaker.

Uh, what?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I am using MGE and can save outdoors...

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Uh, yeah. If you can't save outdoors, that isn't MGE.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
I think Krowley may be misinterpreting the part of the OP where I say "Just FYI: MGE used to corrupt saves while outdoors" or had a bad experience with older versions or something.

Are you guys certain that new Morrowind installations don't need .NET 2.0 and are fine with just the latest one? I keep seeing it in installation guides, but if that's no longer the case I can remove it from the OP.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Yeah they might've fixed that in the recent versions, but last time I was gonna play Morrowind you were explicitly told that you couldn't save your game outdoors or use quicksave at all.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Krowley posted:

Yeah they might've fixed that in the recent versions, but last time I was gonna play Morrowind you were explicitly told that you couldn't save your game outdoors or use quicksave at all.

Quicksave is still a bad idea

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

Mortimer posted:

No matter how many times people tell me that quicksaving in Bethesda games is a really bad idea, I can't stop doing it. I need to pry off my F5 key or something. If only there was a way to rebind it so it would directly open up the normal save menu instead.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mortimer posted:

I have never encountered an issue with Quicksave in 12 years of playing Morrowind. What are you referring to?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

What's funnier is that this is the remake. The original didn't match up to his vision, so he redid it from scratch. :psyduck:

Edit: at least this is merely WTF and not the usual :nws::nms: Nexus anime/furdick crap.
Hahaha, always amazed when people bring up Muffinwind in this day and age. I'm the author :v:

The story behind is appropriately stupid. There was a thread on the Elder Scrolls forums in... 2005, must have been, about how the in-game "muffin" (an easter egg you can find on one of the plantations) should have a unique model instead of just being a renamed loaf of bread. This was a bit before cosmetic/food/whatever mods were really in fashion, so the idea was an amusing novelty. Eventually, someone made a muffin model, and this led to the predictable hilarious jokery about how it would be so zany and random if there was an epic quest mod based on muffins. Being fourteen and being entirely swept up in early-to-mid-2000s internet culture, I volunteered. I am not proud.

Still, I think the end mod turned out a lot better than expected, and it proved pretty popular and enduring, if never as famous as other quest mods of similar scope. That's fine by me, much as it started as a dumb joke which is faintly embarassing to recall, I'm proud that I had the dedication and attention span to put together something so ambitious over the course of a year when I was so young. It's probably that pride that led to me revisiting it years later to see what I would make of it, and subsequently wanting to do it "right" before I went to uni, kind of saying goodbye to the embarassingly huge part Morrowind and its modding community played in my teen years. It's more like a huge overhaul patch than a remake, fixing most aspects of it to a lesser or greater extent (juvenile dialogue, stupid unbalanced poo poo, cell clutter, bad lighting, buggy scripting etc - think I added a couple of sidequests too). The Enhanced Edition thing is a bit of a joke at CDProjekt's expense, it only really took me a month or so to make it.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 18, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Are you guys certain that new Morrowind installations don't need .NET 2.0 and are fine with just the latest one? I keep seeing it in installation guides, but if that's no longer the case I can remove it from the OP.

Like I was saying, I've gotten the base game + MGE-XE/MWSE running on a fresh install of Windows 7 without .net 2.0 being mentioned in my installed programs list (although newer versions of .net are on the list) and I haven't gone out of my way to install it manually. The only thing I do is periodically approve Windows' automatic updates before they are installed, so maybe it slipped in without me knowing about it. Still, if that's the case, it doesn't seem imperative to actually hunt the 2.0 files down, since simply running Window seems to get whatever it needs automatically.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Are you guys certain that new Morrowind installations don't need .NET 2.0

Morrowind itself doesn't need it at all. (Heck, the .NET Framework 1.0 was just a few months old when Morrowind was first released. Morrowind GOTY predates .NET 2.0 by two years.) I don't know why installation guides say it's needed for Morrowind installs. If it's mentioned at all, it should be in the MGE/MGSO section.

Looking at the crap I have installed on my Windows, I only have .NET 4.5. MGE-XE works fine for me. I haven't tried MGSO.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I have never encountered an issue with Quicksave in 12 years of playing Morrowind. What are you referring to?

Yeah, no kidding. Ever since I've started playing Morrowind way back in 2005, and all the other subsequent Bethesda games, I've seen countless times people saying to not use quick-save, but I have literally not once ever had any sort of issue with it. What kind of problems does quick-save supposedly cause?

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

Upmarket Mango posted:

Yeah, no kidding. Ever since I've started playing Morrowind way back in 2005, and all the other subsequent Bethesda games, I've seen countless times people saying to not use quick-save, but I have literally not once ever had any sort of issue with it. What kind of problems does quick-save supposedly cause?

I've heard that it has something to do with the fact that quicksave always overwrites the same spot, and that there are some scripts that supposedly carry over between quickloads (which causes savegame bloat?). Even if that's all wrong and the quicksave function itself doesn't cause many issues, if you're using it exclusively in place of the normal saves and not keeping multiple save files, then when your quicksave inevitably corrupts you won't have anything to go back to. Avoiding quicksave is just part of the Bethesda voodoo some people do to keep their save files alive for a little longer.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

My own understanding of the flawed quicksave/autosave mechanics of Bethesda games on the Gamebryo engine(s) is basically this: The method these games use to store an increasingly large amount of data on the fly (via quicksaves/autosaves) has a greater tendency to cut corners, erroneously record, or omit data than manual saves. These mistakes in saves can appear spontaneously, and as the amount of data increases--a weapon dropped here, a quest complete there, a dungeon cleared here, etc--the likelihood that one of these mistakes leads to a serious problem like a CTD increases, as well. For some reason, manually escaping to the main menu (which pauses the game) and making a hard save avoids or minimizes this problem. Another issue seems to crop from using the same save file over and over again, constantly overwriting it with new data. This seems to be part of why 3rd party autosave managers avoid the problems that built-in autosave features seem to have--they tend to only use any given save once, deleting and replacing it with a fresh save as the autosave cap is reached.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

loving Bethesda and its janky-rear end coding..

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Fairly certain MCP fixes any issues with quick-save. I've used it for years and years and have never really noticed anything specific to quick-save. This is with like a bazillion mods as well.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

My own understanding of the flawed quicksave/autosave mechanics of Bethesda games on the Gamebryo engine(s) is basically this: The method these games use to store an increasingly large amount of data on the fly (via quicksaves/autosaves) has a greater tendency to cut corners, erroneously record, or omit data than manual saves. These mistakes in saves can appear spontaneously, and as the amount of data increases--a weapon dropped here, a quest complete there, a dungeon cleared here, etc--the likelihood that one of these mistakes leads to a serious problem like a CTD increases, as well. For some reason, manually escaping to the main menu (which pauses the game) and making a hard save avoids or minimizes this problem. Another issue seems to crop from using the same save file over and over again, constantly overwriting it with new data. This seems to be part of why 3rd party autosave managers avoid the problems that built-in autosave features seem to have--they tend to only use any given save once, deleting and replacing it with a fresh save as the autosave cap is reached.

I would be shocked to learn that quicksave uses any code other than the normal saving code. It would have been a huge waste of dev time to write a separate function to write savefiles with the name "Quicksave" just because you called it via keypress rather than the menu.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I would be shocked to learn that quicksave uses any code other than the normal saving code. It would have been a huge waste of dev time to write a separate function to write savefiles with the name "Quicksave" just because you called it via keypress rather than the menu.

I'm not saying that my understanding is the correct explanation of the situation, but there definitely appears to be a disparity between the stability of quicksaves and manual saves across the various games. Perhaps it is not a code difference, but simply that the saves are more problematic because they are generated as the game is running, rather than in the menu.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Hahaha, always amazed when people bring up Muffinwind in this day and age. I'm the author :v:

The story behind is appropriately stupid. There was a thread on the Elder Scrolls forums in... 2005, must have been, about how the in-game "muffin" (an easter egg you can find on one of the plantations) should have a unique model instead of just being a renamed loaf of bread. This was a bit before cosmetic/food/whatever mods were really in fashion, so the idea was an amusing novelty. Eventually, someone made a muffin model, and this led to the predictable hilarious jokery about how it would be so zany and random if there was an epic quest mod based on muffins. Being fourteen and being entirely swept up in early-to-mid-2000s internet culture, I volunteered. I am not proud.

Still, I think the end mod turned out a lot better than expected, and it proved pretty popular and enduring, if never as famous as other quest mods of similar scope. That's fine by me, much as it started as a dumb joke which is faintly embarassing to recall, I'm proud that I had the dedication and attention span to put together something so ambitious over the course of a year when I was so young. It's probably that pride that led to me revisiting it years later to see what I would make of it, and subsequently wanting to do it "right" before I went to uni, kind of saying goodbye to the embarassingly huge part Morrowind and its modding community played in my teen years. It's more like a huge overhaul patch than a remake, fixing most aspects of it to a lesser or greater extent (juvenile dialogue, stupid unbalanced poo poo, cell clutter, bad lighting, buggy scripting etc - think I added a couple of sidequests too). The Enhanced Edition thing is a bit of a joke at CDProjekt's expense, it only really took me a month or so to make it.

Well, it's nice to have such an expansive mod that's not so lore serious, so thanks. I'm definitely playing with it on my next run. :) Thanks.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm not saying that my understanding is the correct explanation of the situation, but there definitely appears to be a disparity between the stability of quicksaves and manual saves across the various games. Perhaps it is not a code difference, but simply that the saves are more problematic because they are generated as the game is running, rather than in the menu.

I think that is exactly what the problem is. Expecting Gamebryo to do two things at once? Madness.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 19, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Except for the part where autosave mods which don't use the Bethesda quicksave system, but instead make "menu" saves while you're playing the game, don't suffer from the same problem.

It's really confusing once you start thinking about it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Psion posted:

Except for the part where autosave mods which don't use the Bethesda quicksave system, but instead make "menu" saves while you're playing the game, don't suffer from the same problem.

That's exactly what we're saying. God drat it, Psion.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That's exactly what we're saying. God drat it, Psion.

I'm perfectly capable of accepting that both things are true, because Bethesda.

Edit: To expand on this, I can totally see them writing a seperate save function for quicksaves, as CASM has crashed New Vegas a time or two. (Well, not exactly, more "the straw that broke the camels back" when saving while too much poo poo is going on.)

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Nov 19, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
What I know is that serialization in Beth games is "lazy" and when loading a save, it will not load everything unless it feels that it needs to. For example there's a bug in Skyrim if your character is a vampire where, upon restarting the game, the face will get totally messed up unless you first load a save from before your character was a vampire, and then the vampire save. This is because the game doesn't bother resetting face data between saves of the same character, but will apply the vampire morph each time, forgetting they were already applied once in the vampire save.

Morrowind doesn't have that bug because it doesn't use the Oblivion/Skyrim facegen system, but I wouldn't be surprised if similar causes (not resetting all data between saves) would cause other bugs. And I wouldn't doubt that quicksave uses a "lazy" serialization that will omit to write some data that will "probably not be changed, so why bother".

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
God, now I'm getting curious as to what their save files even look like. I can think of a dozen ways to store the sort of detailed information a TES game needs, but I'm betting that Beth chose the dumbest method possible. I know what I'm doing tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I was replying to this, CoP. Not YOU. :colbert:

Agents are GO! posted:

I think that is exactly what the problem is. Expecting Gamebryo to do two things at once? Madness.

because if this is true, casm would fail, but it doesn't, therefore, :psyduck:

Cat Mattress posted:

What I know is that serialization in Beth games is "lazy" and when loading a save, it will not load everything unless it feels that it needs to.

This seems all too plausible.