Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Injustice is huge in the dorms here at NAU. I felt kinda bad whooping people who thought they were good. I was even using a pad (I play w/ a stick) after not touching the game in months.

So yeah, the best way to improve is definitely to play someone better than you over and over and over and over. Even if they get like 10 perfect rounds against you in a row, finally managing to score a single hit or blocking their combos represents a huge degree of improvement compared to beating people who are also bad and you'll feel the improvement the next time you go against lower tier players.

It's probably a good idea to try to memorize one or two single combos though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

New Leaf posted:

Knowing that it is hypothetically possible to use isn't a lot of comfort when my standing block can easily turn into a crouching block or a backwards jump just because the stick is being finicky, and 90% of the combos suddenly become neigh impossible unless I have the thumb dexterity of a robot.

Yeah, I ended up buying a stick when I started playing fighting games for this reason. There's one for 30 bucks or so on Amazon that's compatible with PC's and PS3's alike that's well worth it, it's made a huge difference in me being able to pull off moves consistently.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

If any of you dudes just picking the game up are on PS3, shoot me a request! I just started playing again yesterday after having not played sinnnnce just before MMH came out I think? Either way I'm rusty as hell and wanna punch up Goons again. :v:

PSN: VoodooYardbomb

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 15, 2013

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Is there anyone else that's going to be grabbing this on PC? Or anyone that has? I'll be getting it soon, but would really like to know if they made an improvement on the Netcode over the MK9 Port.

e: Also, PS4 Players you'll be getting This Skin for Black Adam. I mean, Holy poo poo! It's not Batman/Superman!

Unbound fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 14, 2013

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005
"NetherRealm's producer, Adam Urbano mentions that the graphics for Injustice were actually toned down for current gen consoles. Next gen owners will be able to play their game in 1080p resolution at the same 60 frames per second. It sounds like NetherRealm Studios had a plan for next gen consoles all along."

Pretty neat. Will believe it when I see it though.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.

This is quite possibly the best ragequit picture I could have hoped for. Especially given that it's Green Lantern vs Sinestro. Yellow is fear. All it's missing is a message calling me a scrub and questioning several aspects of my personality and sexual characteristics.

deepshock fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 15, 2013

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

KOMI posted:

"NetherRealm's producer, Adam Urbano mentions that the graphics for Injustice were actually toned down for current gen consoles. Next gen owners will be able to play their game in 1080p resolution at the same 60 frames per second. It sounds like NetherRealm Studios had a plan for next gen consoles all along."

Pretty neat. Will believe it when I see it though.

I assume the PC version already had this, at the cost of a smaller playerbase?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

This has probably already been mentioned in so many thousands of posts, but did some of the background music in the single player cutscenes sound suspiciously like Blue Rondo a la Turk to anyone else?

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
It sounds like the PS4 version of IGAU doesn't support PS3 arcade sticks, which is disappointing. Supposedly it's an option available to developers and no PS4 arcade sticks even exist yet so I'm not sure why they wouldn't throw that in there.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The divekick devs said they only heard about that option recently (there was some FAQ mentioning it at the end of october on SRK, which is probably the first time Keits ever heard of it). Maybe a communications issue?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Rookersh posted:

So is it just me, or is the 360 controller kind of a piece of poo poo for these games?

The analog stick is way to imprecise, and constantly interprets my side to side as "jump like a loving idiot.". Finally halfway through the tutorial, stuck on a specific combo move I started using the D-Pad, and yeah, it's better, but just barely. A solid 30-40% of my inputs are just ignored, or misinterpreted ( still jump half the time ).

Finally plugged in my DS3 and easily cleared the entire tutorial, no problems using the d-pad.

Had similar problems with MK9. I can't imagine one controller type is that off, especially since so many people play the 360 version. What am I missing?

Yeah, I'm kinda having the same problem trying to learn the combos and stuff. Is there an alternative for 360 players without using a stick?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Geektox posted:

Yeah, I'm kinda having the same problem trying to learn the combos and stuff. Is there an alternative for 360 players without using a stick?
The MadCatz FightPad is my go-to controller when it comes to playing games where I want a precise d-pad. I still have my Street Fighter 4 one I got for when the PC version of that came out and I still use it from time-to-time when I want to play a fighting game either on my 360 or my PC (I actually bought it before I got my PC just because I knew 360 controllers work flawlessly on Windows). There is a smaller version out now (I think with Street Fighter X Tekken artwork on it), but it sounds like it's more or less the same as the original (which I thought was the perfect size since I have medium-large hands).

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
I'm on PS4 now if anyone is up for some superhero punching. Also, I'm streaming as well, so I can get my rear end beaten on a live feed! PSN tag is TempusRimeblood if anyone wants to join me.

Edit: For some reason, streaming is completely non-functional for me. Sorry, guys :-(

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 18, 2013

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005
Picked this up for PS4. Almost every online game I play is being interrupted with "The game session has desyncronized".

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

KOMI posted:

Picked this up for PS4. Almost every online game I play is being interrupted with "The game session has desyncronized".

That's weird because I was playing it yesterday and it was a surprisingly smooth experience online, had no desynchs and only a few games with bad lag. I'm not sure if it matters but I was using the 1v1 Player Match to play.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
arthong almost done with replacement panels for the injustice battle edition stick

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

A Yolo Wizard posted:

arthong almost done with replacement panels for the injustice battle edition stick

I'll take three please. :v:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So I ended up picking this up for the PS4 and have been enjoying it -- it's kind of hilarious that the actual gameplay looks so much better than the pre-rendered cutscenes.

I've been having fun button mashing through the campaign but I would like to eventually learn how to play properly. I've seen specific character guides online, but are there more "theoretical" resources I can look at, either for this game or fighting games in general? You know, discussions on strategy/tactics, types of characters or players, what to do when, etc.?

Midnight Shakes
Apr 10, 2009
Testyourmight seems to be the main fan-site for this game, so I'd check that out for more in-depth character discussions and such.

On another note: How is the online for this on PC? Just as bad as MK9? I'm considering picking the game up on Steam, when it releases here in Europe next week, but I'm probably gonna stick to the 360, if the netcode isn't that great in the Steam-version.

Midnight Shakes fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 19, 2013

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So I ended up picking this up for the PS4 and have been enjoying it -- it's kind of hilarious that the actual gameplay looks so much better than the pre-rendered cutscenes.

I've been having fun button mashing through the campaign but I would like to eventually learn how to play properly. I've seen specific character guides online, but are there more "theoretical" resources I can look at, either for this game or fighting games in general? You know, discussions on strategy/tactics, types of characters or players, what to do when, etc.?

It's hard to write a catch-all resource that works for any fighting game, but I'll try to run you through a couple basic concepts. Every single action has some sort of counter, it's your job to understand the risk/reward associated with the actions you take. This risk/reward changes with what your opponent is likely to do in a given situation. You might have some option X that loses to literally everything your opponent does except Y; on paper this isn't a very useful move but if you can put your opponent into a situation where they want to do Y it becomes a viable choice. In Injustice, and most 2d games, being able to anti-air opponents who jump in on you is really important because it totally changes the risk/reward of jumping; by being able to react to the jump, simply doing nothing becomes a direct counter to it which completely changes your opponent's options.

Spacing is another fairly universal fighting game concept, for a given match-up the character that is at the advantage depends on the spacing between those characters. Generally this advantage switches back and forth: character A might have an advantage at point blank, character B has an advantage just beyond point blank, at sweep range character A has the advantage again, just outside of sweep range character B is up, etc. Both players are trying to move into a spacing where they have the advantage; this is why cornering someone is so powerful, you can put your opponent into a spacing that is advantageous for you and they can't walk backward (which is much safer than walking forward) to change that. Honestly, this is one of Injustice's big weaknesses; there just aren't any safe ways to move in the game. Jumping and dashing are unsafe and walking is just so slow; in some match-ups your opponent can easily put you at a disadvantageous range and you have very limited options to change that. Injustice was a fun game with an awesome story mode, but the more serious I got about it the more bad match-up and bad characters frustrated me.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Midnight Shakes posted:

On another note: How is the online for this on PC? Just as bad as MK9? I'm considering picking the game up on Steam, when it releases here in Europe next week, but I'm probably gonna stick to the 360, if the netcode isn't that great in the Steam-version.

I just picked it up on PC, I'll let you know about it's quality. I liked MK9 PC though, with the exception to the online.

I got an online in, and shockingly won. To graphics look goods, the control is as it was on 360, the netcode gave me no lag.

Additional edit: The pig looks super zombified now and is even more fun to throw around. Just made someone rage quit with it.

Unbound fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 19, 2013

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
Yo unbound I just picked it up for PC also my steam name is haiku83.
I'm pretty sure we're atill windows live friends.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Imho the PC version is kind of bad. Crashes almost every time I load it. No cards when it doesn't crash. Doesn't record my time played, and no chance of multiplayer. Those are just my experiences.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Awesome Andy posted:

Yo unbound I just picked it up for PC also my steam name is haiku83.
I'm pretty sure we're atill windows live friends.

Awesome! Just hunted you down and friended you, Steam Alias is "Flashbang!" right now. Love to get some games in with you man.

Also, I recommend using SweetFX in this game, I'll try an remember to get some screenshots, but wow does it look good.

SnipeShow
Nov 7, 2009

That dance wasn't as safe as they said it was.

I do not have archives, could I get the goon wbid login?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
email: SAinjustice@gmail.com
pass: lljk1234

Also available are SAinjustice2@gmail.com, SAinjustice3@gmail.com, and SAinjustice4@gmail.com with the same passwords.

(this is going from memory, feel free to correct me)

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

HellCopter posted:

email: SAinjustice@gmail.com
pass: lljk1234

Also available are SAinjustice2@gmail.com, SAinjustice3@gmail.com, and SAinjustice4@gmail.com with the same passwords.

(this is going from memory, feel free to correct me)

I used #4 and it worked perfect. Looks like the primary doesn't work. Didn't try the other ones.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Ugh. I got a new controller, but I still suck at this game. I did get much further in the tutorial, but starting with the advanced combos I'm absolutely trash. It's like I'm hitting all the right buttons for, say, the Batarang combo, not not in the exact time constraints that they want. If the combo starts with double-tapping X, it only registers one because I did it too fast, or I'll time it to get both but I can't land the timing on the next half. I can do each piece individually though. It's maddening. Guess I'm just not a fighting game guy. I'm just going to easy-mode button mash it through the story to get my money's worth with the story. :smith:

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

New Leaf posted:

Ugh. I got a new controller, but I still suck at this game. I did get much further in the tutorial, but starting with the advanced combos I'm absolutely trash. It's like I'm hitting all the right buttons for, say, the Batarang combo, not not in the exact time constraints that they want. If the combo starts with double-tapping X, it only registers one because I did it too fast, or I'll time it to get both but I can't land the timing on the next half. I can do each piece individually though. It's maddening. Guess I'm just not a fighting game guy. I'm just going to easy-mode button mash it through the story to get my money's worth with the story. :smith:

The problem you are likely having is that you are pushing too many buttons.

If it says double tap X into a special move and you triple tap it, it just won't work. Precision before speed/timing.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Fellblade posted:

The problem you are likely having is that you are pushing too many buttons.

If it says double tap X into a special move and you triple tap it, it just won't work. Precision before speed/timing.

I'm going to suck at this game then, haha. I think I sat here for 10 minutes last night trying to hammer down one combo before giving up and launching into story mode. I don't exactly seem to need them, though, just button mashing is getting me through. Don't worry, I won't dare hop online to ruin anyone's evening.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Thing about combos with the NRS games is unless you are going for a juggle or something more complex you don't really have to worry about timing any of the moves in a combo. If a combo tells you to hit 112df1 You can literally just hit those buttons in order as fast as you can. But if you hit 1112df1 either the wrong move will come out after the first two or nothing will.

I know it's pretty common to want to just mash 1s, but if you train yourself on literally any of the combos your character has (usually 3 buttons) and then into a special you will have no problem with the story mode at all.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Nativity In Black posted:

Thing about combos with the NRS games is unless you are going for a juggle or something more complex you don't really have to worry about timing any of the moves in a combo. If a combo tells you to hit 112df1 You can literally just hit those buttons in order as fast as you can. But if you hit 1112df1 either the wrong move will come out after the first two or nothing will.

Yeah, you don't time your combos according to the animations on screen, you just punch it in all at once and then your character goes through the whole combo motion. It's really unintuitive.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Now that I'm actually playing, I'm landing a few of them. This game is really fun and fluid. I think I enjoyed Aquaman and Green Arrow the most, just their range and speed. Ironically, Batman feels the most clunky to me, so maybe that's the reason I was having trouble in the tutorial.

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011
The game feels fluid? That's not a word you ever hear anyone use to describe an NRS fighting game.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

USPS was late getting my copy to me, but I have it now and it's pretty fun. I'm goddamned terrible but I'm slowly getting the hang of it. I also find it ridiculous that the best way to tell when a cutscene ends and gameplay begins is that the framerate gets better. :psyduck:

If anybody wants some easy wins (or wants to take pity and help me become less bad), feel free to add MMThundarr on PS4. :unsmith: I've mostly been using Green Arrow so far, but I'm still going through characters to see what works best for me.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

checkstock posted:

The game feels fluid? That's not a word you ever hear anyone use to describe an NRS fighting game.

Well, you could say it feels more fluid for new players in the sense that you can mostly dial out the combo you want and see the Cool Stuff happen without learning the stricter timing required for other games like SF or KoF. It feels a lot better when you're just starting out to take a fighter beyond the button mashing phase.

If you're already good at Capcom/SNK type games then yes, Injustice will feel weird and clunky.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Washin Tong posted:

Well, you could say it feels more fluid for new players in the sense that you can mostly dial out the combo you want and see the Cool Stuff happen without learning the stricter timing required for other games like SF or KoF. It feels a lot better when you're just starting out to take a fighter beyond the button mashing phase.

If you're already good at Capcom/SNK type games then yes, Injustice will feel weird and clunky.

The last fighting game I've touched was Soul Caliber 2 on Game Cube back when it was new.. so yeah. It's been a while.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.
I managed second place in this game at a local major. Granted it was out of 6 people but it was still enough to make $2 ahead of the entry fee.

http://ralston.challonge.com/ltt2013injustice

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Attention PS3 / maybe PS4 goons: amazing black friday fightstick deal here:

http://store.namcobandaigames.com/s...75#.UpgVV8TOl8E

Great stick and 2 games (tekken or soul calibur series') for $60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Injustice battle edition for $60

http://slickdeals.net/f/6513688-injustice-gods-among-us-battle-edition-with-injustice-fight-stick-60-free-shipping

• Locked thread