Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

1-800-DOG-LAW posted:

I know a very nice woman named "Ryanne" pronounced "Ryan". When you talk about her, folks who don't know her assume you are talking about a man. People also tend to mispronounce her name "Rye-Anne".

In high school I dated a male Ryan. He had a younger female cousin also named Ryan. At least she had a different last name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I can't understand why families do this, and I'm totally in personal territory on it. My cousin named her son the same thing as mine about 6 months later. I'm told she "always" wanted that name (but told noone), and kept my son's name secret from her husband because he'd not have let her duplicate if he had known in advance.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Friends of ours just named their baby Militant Augustus. I...really don't know what to say about that one.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Phy posted:

Put it to you this way, how often have you ever heard it told about someone named M@, Ma~, or |r?

(That's "Matt", "Matilde", or "Piper".)

Way back, but there is an insufferable person in my graduate program named Matt who signs everything "M@"

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Lotish posted:

Male or Unisex names becoming female is pretty common (like Shannon or Ashley) but rarely go the other way.

I will never stop giggling every time I hear of men (or boys) called Kelly and Dana. In Australia, they are both very much girls' names. Dana isn't so popular at the moment, but Kelly is, and it is very feminine.

For content: I'm working for a couple who are not native English speakers, but who are now living in an English-speaking country. They have a young daughter called Tinea (pronounced ti-nay-ah). I'm still contemplating the best way to explain to them that tinea is a gross-looking skin disease.

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

---

Inspector Zenigata has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Apr 2, 2014

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I once did a transaction for a lady named Bunny Wolfe.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.
We just hired a girl named Storme Crabbe. It sounds like a new species of crustacean.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Recently,I was introduced to a devout Christian named Joshua Climax.I'm not sure if his last name is spelled that way,but that's how he pronounced it.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

The fact that it's signed is the best part.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

The fact that it's signed is the best part.

Along with his calm, loving expression.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

He'll gently help you prepare your anus.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Snowy posted:

He'll gently help you prepare your anus.

Class of '69.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Say Nothing posted:

Class of '69.

Where the hell do you find all these? Your posts are easily the best in the thread.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I keep an eye out for stupid names.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
What sort of name is "oral"? I remember a character in the usual suspects was called that.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Say Nothing posted:

I keep an eye out for stupid names.

THIS IS THE TALE

OF CAPTAIN JACK SWALLOW

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jippa posted:

What sort of name is "oral"? I remember a character in the usual suspects was called that.

There's also the Orel variation, as in the [adult swim] show Moral Orel.

But to answer your question, Oral is a loving dumb kind of name.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Jippa posted:

Apparently it's the Swiss form of the name Aurelius.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
My aunty was born Elton Margaret. She hated her name so much she changed it to Margaret Mary as soon as she was old enough. Why would you call a girl Elton? :confused:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Aristophanes posted:

My aunty was born Elton Margaret. She hated her name so much she changed it to Margaret Mary as soon as she was old enough. Why would you call a girl Elton? :confused:

Near us there's a newswoman named Trent Monahan. Every time I hear her name I picture Kent Mansley from The Iron Giant.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Just spotted this on an acquaintance's wall.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Just spotted this on an acquaintance's wall.

Are you sure that's not anonymized?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Choco1980 posted:

I think they mean the Anatnom that is mentioned.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

razorrozar posted:

There's also the Orel variation, as in the [adult swim] show Moral Orel.

But to answer your question, Oral is a loving dumb kind of name.

Don't know if it's actually related, but in Hebrew there is the name Orel (pronounced or-el) which means 'light of god' (or=light, el=god), not sure Oral actually comes from that.

Speaking of Hebrew, it has a few problematic names, like:

Dor (not actually pronounced the same as door, since Hebrew doesn't have long vowels, but still)

Gal (same thing and Dor, pronounced like guhl; it's a male name)

Or (as I mentioned, light, a unisex name)

Nimrod

and some others, while having the Doug will cause you to be laughed at in Israel, since it's pronounced the same as the word 'dag' which means fish.

By the way, many common English names are considered horribly old fashioned or religious names in their Hebrew variant. Names like Jacob (Ya'akov), Sarah, Elijah (Eliyahu), Susan (Shoshanah), Joshua (Yehoshu'a) and others.

Also, there is some Reggae musician from Ghana here in Israel called Issac Newton Pascal.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A Meat posted:

Don't know if it's actually related, but in Hebrew there is the name Orel (pronounced or-el) which means 'light of god' (or=light, el=god), not sure Oral actually comes from that.

Speaking of Hebrew, it has a few problematic names, like:

Dor (not actually pronounced the same as door, since Hebrew doesn't have long vowels, but still)

Gal (same thing and Dor, pronounced like guhl; it's a male name)

Nimrod

and some others, while having the Doug will cause you to be laughed at in Israel, since it's pronounced the same as the word 'dag' which means fish.

By the way, many common English names are considered horribly old fashioned or religious names in their Hebrew variant. Names like Jacob (Ya'akov), Sarah, Elijah (Eliyahu), Susan (Shoshanah), Joshua (Yehoshu'a) and others.

Also, there is some Reggae musician from Ghana here in Israel called Issac Newton Pascal.

Something I've been wondering, what is the original Hebrew form of my name, Jesse?

Incidentally my brothers are named Joshua and Jacob, and my middle name is John. My parents had a thing for J's. And they're not especially religious, despite picking four Biblical names to give me and my brothers.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
While "schmuck" is an insult in Yiddish, it is also a family name in Germany, and one of them moved to New York City: The Atlantic: Sister Schmuck Takes a Stand.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

I'm the one who anonymized it. :ssh:
I'm talking about the child named Anatmon. Or Anatom. I've been trying to puzzle it out for months now and even the mother isn't consistent enough for me to figure out which one it is.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Grrl Anachronism posted:

I'm the one who anonymized it. :ssh:
I'm talking about the child named Anatmon. Or Anatom. I've been trying to puzzle it out for months now and even the mother isn't consistent enough for me to figure out which one it is.

"Montana" backwards?

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

Huntersoninski posted:

I once did a transaction for a lady named Bunny Wolfe.

Either you spoke to my professor's mom or there multiple Bunny Wolfes in the world. Huh.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

SimianNinja posted:

"Montana" backwards?

Montana's already pretty backwards.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

razorrozar posted:

Something I've been wondering, what is the original Hebrew form of my name, Jesse?

Incidentally my brothers are named Joshua and Jacob, and my middle name is John. My parents had a thing for J's. And they're not especially religious, despite picking four Biblical names to give me and my brothers.

Yishai, pronounced Yee-shy. You don't have a John Jacob Jingleheimer thing going on do you? Like the Barney song?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

A Meat posted:

The lady's name is Iei Or.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
At work I came across a name that is remarkable, but not terrible.

Jewell Snead has the name of a supervillainess.

Poobat
Aug 16, 2006
I knew a Harrison Mole in fifth grade. It was about as unfortunate as you might expect.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!
Ernö Rapée, or when I first glanced over it: Emo Rape.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I used to work with a guy named Rod Rodwell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I'd like to see a Swiss version of 'One Hundred Years of Solitude' now. Oral, Oral Johnny, Colonel Oral, Oral the Second, the seventeen doomed Orals, it would delight highschool literature students everywhere