Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Panfilo posted:

I saw a "sweded" scene from the battle of Hong Kong, and it's hilarious because it's like 2 seconds of a guy in an Otachi costume crashing through a cardboard building to ambush a guy in a Gypsy Danger costume.

Is there any more footage? The whole battle would be hysterical as a sweded version- some kid in a gorilla costume perched on top of Rubbermaid garbage can Cherno Alpha wailing on him while Cherno impotently windmilling his arms.

Here you are. Unfortunately, it's just a couple short scenes and not the whole battle, but it's better than nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCDbdht_XNk

Honestly, I think Legendary Picture's PR department (heh) is a tad desperate (unsurprising given the whole perception that the movie was a flop in the North American market) if they're doing stuff like this in an attempt to virally market the home video release, but the results are pretty funny, so I'm not complaining.

Doctor Bishop fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I'll have to watch it again then, I definitely thought it was an explosive effect. As for how much damage we can assume the kaiju sustained and didn't show it because they were tough, it seems like the sort of thing I wouldn't feel safe as a director letting the audience assume if I didn't at least add a cue or two. Like with Cherno, you could say that the acid dripping through his frame damaged all the necessary parts for coordinating punches, or weakened it in some way but that wouldn't be immediately clear compared to a panicked pilot or something without a visual or verbal clue like a joint popping out.

Listen to the dialog that is already there and how it is delivered - when Cherno gets hit with the acid (watch how the Jaeger moves, it stumbles and stops running), Sasha shouts out that they've been hit with some type of acid and that they need backup immediately. In that line, Sasha is panicked. Then you have Chuck - the Australian gloryhound - getting all compassionate and worried and yelling at his father that 'we can't just let 'im die!'

Speaking of the Australians... And the fact that the moment Cherno gets knocked down, Herc is telling Pentecost that the other two Jaegers are in trouble and they're going to move in and engage (against Pentecost's orders) should be more than enough to infer the horrible situation Cherno and Crimson have found themselves in. I wouldn't call Herc panicked, but his tone is definitely one of someone who is more than aware that something bad is about to happen.

The fight is clearly lost from the outset. The film all but spells it out.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Doctor Bishop posted:

Here you are. Unfortunately, it's just a couple short scenes and not the whole battle, but it's better than nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCDbdht_XNk

Honestly, I think Legendary Picture's PR department (heh) is a tad desperate (unsurprising given the whole perception that the movie was a flop in the North American market) if they're doing stuff like this in an attempt to virally market the home video release, but the results are pretty funny, so I'm not complaining.

Holy gently caress, the pilots are on ellipticals, that's loving priceless. :allears:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

DStecks posted:

Holy gently caress, the pilots are on ellipticals, that's loving priceless. :allears:

Didn't Del Toro invite them to the premiere after he saw the first one?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Milky Moor posted:

Listen to the dialog that is already there and how it is delivered - when Cherno gets hit with the acid (watch how the Jaeger moves, it stumbles and stops running), Sasha shouts out that they've been hit with some type of acid and that they need backup immediately. In that line, Sasha is panicked. Then you have Chuck - the Australian gloryhound - getting all compassionate and worried and yelling at his father that 'we can't just let 'im die!'

Speaking of the Australians... And the fact that the moment Cherno gets knocked down, Herc is telling Pentecost that the other two Jaegers are in trouble and they're going to move in and engage (against Pentecost's orders) should be more than enough to infer the horrible situation Cherno and Crimson have found themselves in. I wouldn't call Herc panicked, but his tone is definitely one of someone who is more than aware that something bad is about to happen.

The fight is clearly lost from the outset. The film all but spells it out.

Right, I'm not arguing that it shouldn't have been, but I meant we could add short, fast details that would color the fight such that the heroes still lose, badly, but maintain the character we expect them to have so the audience is less disappointed. So, for example, robot A punches monster B three times. Monster B doesn't seem to respond. Half the audience might assume this is because the monster is tougher and the other half might assume this is because the robot is inferior. If I wanted to make sure that people understand that the monsters are explicitly built tougher (since how much damage a punch does is variable)I would quietly help the audience along to understand what I mean by showing the monster has an exoskeleton, or visibly thicker pads of skin or having a punch bounce from some surface. Specifically, I think it would have been fun to have a visibly overgrown, thick ribcage that overlapped like plate armor exposed briefly when gypsy finally blew Leatherback open. This way the audience can get a big visual cue that shows how drastically different these creatures are built to take hits, instead of hoping they assume "extra toughness" comes with the obvious weapon adaptations. I think they actually do this fantastically with the Knifehead fight, where the monster resurfaces bleeding and covered in superficial wounds and burns, but still horribly mauls Gypsy. Audience gets to see what a jaeger can do, and the monster shows how resilient it is, nobody walks away from this scene disappointed in the robot.

This is all little detail stuff, because overall the "oh hell we are screwed these are anti-jaeger kaiju" is done very well and should stay the same, but obviously people were still disappointed. I think this is because we see these robots so briefly, which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing for this sort of movie. It's my opinion, as someone who isn't part of the industry, that they could have added a second or two here or there throughout the fight so the robots don't seem like chumps for going down so quickly and ineffectually. The details I noticed seemed to undermine what I had expected out of them, in context of knowing they are outclassed, rather than in an even fight. So Cherno can still know it is screwed and crippled from acid,all those lines can stay the same, but since we come to think the character is resilient and "a tank" a stubborn but pointless effort to swing at the creatures beating on it as it goes down would keep the audience from feeling jilted without spoiling the tone of the fight (this also helps to illustrate how the stubborn adherence to how they prefer to fight not only gets them into trouble but won't help them out of it)

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 18, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Cherno Alpha and the red guy are shown fighting onscreen for less than two minutes each. This is weirdly like reading an extended multipage analysis of the slightly taller alien in Man Of Steel.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Cherno Alpha and the red guy are shown fighting onscreen for less than two minutes each. This is weirdly like reading an extended multipage analysis of the slightly taller alien in Man Of Steel.

I'm disappointed you never touched on the implications of Jesse Ventura being in Zod's forces.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

I fully accept that I am spergin' hard about minor modifications to a minor part of the movie. It did get me to think about how tiny, seemingly unimportant details can affect my impressions though.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I fully accept that I am spergin' hard about minor modifications to a minor part of the movie. It did get me to think about how tiny, seemingly unimportant details can affect my impressions though.

Don't get me wrong, there's quite a bit going on in those two minutes, but characterization is negligible. It's Russia and China fighting Capitalism. With that established, it's about the imagery.

In a better film, that image of Leatherback's massive palm fully eclipsing the field of vision as it forces Cherno's head underwater would linger for more than four seconds. That's the best and most important shot, and the rest of the 1.5 minute fight scene is pretty much just exposition leading up to it. But then, it's just glossed over for the less-interesting shot of Cherno's head going 'poof'.

When you consider what's actually going on in that scene, it's not very well-conveyed in a storytelling sense. We'd initially seen Cherno's pilots surrounded by the usual holograms in their armored cockpit. When Cherno is hit with acid, suddenly they're exposed to the elements. However, you don't see the acid actually melt away their windshield. You don't see the wind and water suddenly affecting them. You don't see a hole where the wall used to be. You even don't get an earlier POV shot that establishes what the kaiju are undermining by tearing away the wall and all shoving their hand up in there. The experience of Cherno's pilots is continually de-emphasized for some reason - we watch them drown, but the film does not evoke the feeling of drowning.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I got the impression that the damage was above the pilots, considering the position of the cockpit. Acid burns the head open, Leatherback rips chunks out of it, water rushes in once the machine is knocked over. I'm just trying to suss out why the opener was accepted by the audience at large but some aspects Hong Kong left people sour over the not-protagonists, even though both bouts ended in losses. I think it's because intentionally making their performance disappointing, in the puerile man-children wanting to play with toys again sense, was a mistake.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I got the impression that the damage was above the pilots, considering the position of the cockpit. Acid burns the head open, Leatherback rips chunks out of it, water rushes in once the machine is knocked over. I'm just trying to suss out why the opener was accepted by the audience at large but some aspects Hong Kong left people sour over the not-protagonists, even though both bouts ended in losses. I think it's because intentionally making their performance disappointing, in the puerile man-children wanting to play with toys again sense, was a mistake.

For me, I simply felt cheated - not necessarily because I didn't get to see more robot victories and monster fights,though I'm sure there's a bit of that too, but because I felt lied to. Not only did the characters hype up the two doomed jaegers in their dialogue, but the design, photography, music, and everything else reinforced this message of their power and "specialness" for lack of a better word. Had we actually seen the two jaegers perform as advertised - even briefly - their destruction would have been even more shocking and I think the scene of their destruction would have had more impact.

As it was, Del Toro sort of let the air out of the balloon and the audiences immediate reaction was a let-down, that the two jaegers were over-hyped chumps. I don't think that's what he intended, so I think he botched this. Sure, as an auteur perhaps Guillermo Del Toro's real aim was a perverse subversion of our expectations, but if so it seems sort of a weird choice and inconsistent with the tone of the rest of the movie.

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 19, 2013

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
e: ^^^ I've already mentioned, but this just doesn't make sense to me. How were those two Jaegars hyped? Crimson is described as technically impressive, Cherno as a brutal war machine despite its advanced age and first gen design. The hype is mostly directed at the pilots - they're the ones who are considered to be accomplished.

e2: I mean, seriously, what 'specialness?' You're told Cherno is the oldest and heaviest of the Mark Is. You get told Crimson, a Mark IV, has a titanium hull and 50 diesel engines per muscle strand, which all that we have that to compare to is a restored earlier gen Jaegar. But the pilots get credited with defending the Siberian wall for x years and for protecting the coast x times.

When Cherno is hit with acid, suddenly they're exposed to the elements. However, you don't see the acid actually melt away their windshield. You don't see the wind and water suddenly affecting them. You don't see a hole where the wall used to be.
Yes you do?

Habibi fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 19, 2013

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Except the slightly taller alien in Man of Steel wasn't a major component of that film's marketing. :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Habibi posted:

e: ^^^ I've already mentioned, but this just doesn't make sense to me. How were those two Jaegars hyped? Crimson is described as technically impressive, Cherno as a brutal war machine despite its advanced age and first gen design. The hype is mostly directed at the pilots - they're the ones who are considered to be accomplished.

The film's opening even outright says "Jaegers are only as good as the pilots", how can anyone miss that?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Wizchine posted:

For me, I simply felt cheated - not necessarily because I didn't get to see more robot victories and monster fights,though I'm sure there's a bit of that too, but because I felt lied to. Not only did the characters hype up the two doomed jaegers in their dialogue, but the design, photography, music, and everything else reinforced this message of their power and "specialness" for lack of a better word. Had we actually seen the two jaegers perform as advertised - even briefly - their destruction would have been even more shocking and I think the scene of their destruction would have had more impact.

As it was, Del Toro sort of let the air out of the balloon and the audiences immediate reaction was a let-down, that the two jaegers were over-hyped chumps. I don't think that's what he intended, so I think he botched this. Sure, as an auteur perhaps Guillermo Del Toro's real aim was a perverse subversion of our expectations, but if so it seems sort of a weird choice and inconsistent with the tone of the rest of the movie.

This movie was long enough as it is, and dragged heavily for me and my date seemed to agree. Adding more runtime to this movie just to build up these robots would take this movie from "fun but flawed" to a chore, at least for me. What your'e suggesting would be fine for an extended cut, I might even enjoy it in a home version I can pause at my leisure. For the theatrical version? To me it would just feel like needless padding unless you radically changed the movie to increase the importance of those pilots. Otherwise it's just action for the sake of action.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 19, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Habibi posted:

Yes you do?

Not really. You get a CGI shot of Cherno Alpha getting spat on. Cut inside and the woman pilot says 'Cherno Alpha has been hit with acid!' and the camera pans up briefly to show some drips from somewhere vaguely above them. There's otherwise no indication of how this damage actually relates to the pilots - and that's very important. Cherno Alpha's hat melting is an abstract, unrelatable thing that needs to be made relatable. I have no idea what it means to have your 30-story mecha lose its robot hat.

The only time you see Cherno's pilots and either monster in the same shot (or a POV shot from the perspective of the pilots, or a picture of the monster on their holoscreens, or something) is the aforementionned 3-4 second shot of leatherback's palm - which appears at the tail end of the sequence.

The opening sequence is better, because you see Hero Brother get ripped out of an eye-hole, and Hero Guy does react to Gypsy's dismemberment by getting electrocuted.

If that's the logic, shouldn't being hit in the face with acid gently caress up the pilots' visors?

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 19, 2013

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Habibi posted:

e2: I mean, seriously, what 'specialness?' You're told Cherno is the oldest and heaviest of the Mark Is. You get told Crimson, a Mark IV, has a titanium hull and 50 diesel engines per muscle strand, which all that we have that to compare to is a restored earlier gen Jaegar. But the pilots get credited with defending the Siberian wall for x years and for protecting the coast x times.

Yes you do?

Same difference. I conflate the pilots and their machine as one unit (Stacker is the only wierdo who pilots two different jaegers). Hyped? Besides all the marketing hype, which was substantial, we have the same lingering loving shots of all the jaeger being deployed, the dialogue describing their accomplishments, and their unique appearances. They aren't shunted to the background, they aren't identical generic jaeger designs. The pilots, while underdeveloped, aren't much less developed than the other cardboard characters.

It's just a lazy shortcut to tell us some things about a character, not show us, and then belie what we were told when the action unfolds. I want to see what makes these people and their machines so special, not just hear about a Thundercloud formation and watch the pilots play basketball. It's a waste of a setup. Del Toro did the exact same thing in Blade 2 (the Blood Pact) as many have pointed out.

Imagine if in Seven Samurai the characters just talked about what a great swordsman Kyuzo was, but we never saw him do anything. Then, in the first attack by the bandits, he gets shot and dies. Would that not be cheap? The audience wanted to see what was awe inspiring about this character, why he was being talked about in reverent tones, and instead we get cinematic blue balls.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Wizchine posted:

Same difference. I conflate the pilots and their machine as one unit (Stacker is the only wierdo who pilots two different jaegers). Hyped? Besides all the marketing hype, which was substantial, we have the same lingering loving shots of all the jaeger being deployed, the dialogue describing theirg accomplishments, and their unique appearances.

Make up your mind, then, because your original complaint was that the Jaegars were hyped up in dialog, which they weren't. I don't really give a poo poo about the marketing. That you conflate Jaegars for pilots when the movie drubs into you that the former are only as good as the latter (which isn't the equivalent of the two being one and the same) is hardly the movies fault v:shobon:v

Not really. You get a CGI shot of Cherno Alpha getting spat on. Cut inside and the woman pilot says 'Cherno Alpha has been hit with acid!' and the camera pans up briefly to show some drips from somewhere vaguely above them. There's otherwise no indication of how this damage actually relates to the pilots - and that's very important. Cherno Alpha's hat melting is an abstract, unrelatable thing that needs to be made relatable. I have no idea what it means to have your 30-story mecha lose its robot hat.
Uh. You get a short of Cherno getting it's chest and has covered in acid, visibly causing swaths of metal to slag off. A shot of the pilots asking for help as said acid begins to clearly eat away at their 'windshield.' And, as Leatherback jumps on top of them, s shot of the pilots being sprayed by incoming water and reeling as they yell that water is reaching the reactor. This is all before its arm is bitten through or the body and conn room ate pushed under water.

quote:

If that's the logic, shouldn't being hit in the face with acid gently caress up the pilots' visors?
Why, because none of the other Jaegars (Gipsy, Crimson) demonstrate any neutral feedback between their and their pilots' heads/faces (probably because not having your brain 'electrocuted' anytime your Jaegars head gets damaged is a good thing)? Oh okay.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 19, 2013

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sometimes this thread reads like an Onion article.

The core of these complaints seems to be that Del Toro failed to capture the inherent majesty and awesomeness of the robots he imagined. It's like there's some platonic ideal of a Cherno Alpha and Crimson Typhoon that the director has done a disservice to.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Sometimes this thread reads like an Onion article.

The core of these complaints seems to be that Del Toro failed to capture the inherent majesty and awesomeness of the robots he imagined. It's like there's some platonic ideal of a Cherno Alpha and Crimson Typhoon that the director has done a disservice to.

But there is! They exist in the realm of infinite possibilities that comes into existence as hype begins to build. ARGs lead to teaser trailers, maybe an extended clip or two, but eventually the film comes out. It's finite.

What's 2 hours and change compared to months if not years of expectation and dreaming?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Maarak posted:

But there is! They exist in the realm of infinite possibilities that comes into existence as hype begins to build. ARGs lead to teaser trailers, maybe an extended clip or two, but eventually the film comes out. It's finite.

What's 2 hours and change compared to months if not years of expectation and dreaming?

I've come to the conclusion that many people who call themselves film fans are actually sports fans in denial.

Ditch Cherno Alpha and start following the career of a young, promising and hungry boxer - the heights of passion and disappointment you'll feel will eclipse anything a CG robot side character could ever produce.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Habibi posted:

Uh. You get a short of Cherno getting it's chest and has covered in acid, visibly causing swaths of metal to slag off. A shot of the pilots asking for help as said acid begins to clearly eat away at their 'windshield.' And, as Leatherback jumps on top of them, s shot of the pilots being sprayed by incoming water and reeling as they yell that water is reaching the reactor. This is all before its arm is bitten through or the body and conn room ate pushed under water.

That is the only shot of the damage done to the cockpit by the acid. There's nothing that conveys that the entire front of the cockpit is missing besides that black shape. I don't think that's clear at all - especially in comparison to a theoretical interior shot where you would see the wall melt away from the inside, from the POV of the pilots, letting in starlight or whatever. Note that the cockpit is all golds and reds. Let the blue light in.

quote:

Why, because none of the other Jaegars (Gipsy, Crimson) demonstrate any neutral feedback between their and their pilots' heads/faces (probably because not having your brain 'electrocuted' anytime your Jaegars head gets damaged is a good thing)? Oh okay.
Since the movie is a cartoon, it's okay to exaggerate the impact of the violence. It stands to reason that having your robot's face destroyed would hamper its ability to see. Have their visors glitch out; it's no biggie.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 19, 2013

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
All they really needed to do was show a historical shot of both Jaegers kicking Kaiju rear end. They easily could've shoehorned in scenes in the prologue when Raleigh says "...we started winning, we got pretty good at it...".

-Several seconds of Crimson Typhoon using its Thundercloud Formation to dismantle a bug-like Kaiju (like Belobog); actually taking advantage of the fact that it has three frikkin arms which I would think would allow it to hold down a Kaiju with 2 and saw it up with the third.

-A scene with a Kaiju ineffectually clawing at Cherno only to get socked in the jaw and incinerated.

For example, we get to see Striker Eureka's capabilities when it defends Sydney. It mauls the Kaiju pretty badly then peppers it to death with missiles. I don't even think the Kaiju there managed to do anything to Striker (granted, it looked like it was solely evolved to simply penetrate the Wall).

The line "The Jaegers were only as good as their pilots" really rings true in the story. Crimson and Cherno's hubris was probably being too reliant on conservative strategies- Crimson's Thundercloud Formation was probably the gamewinner in all of its previous battles, and Cherno probably took advantage of fighting weaker Kaiju that it could simply be all "come at me bro" vs having to desperately lunge in to attack or attempt to dodge acid. They say Raleigh's fighting stype was 'unpredictable' but honestly I don't completely agree, it was predictable, but in a logical way. Kaiju has some threatening weapon, Gypsy Danger lunges in and rips it out :smug: . Gypsy fought the way a person might fight against a dog or other animal- take advantage of your reach by using one arm to hold on to their head/appendages and use the other to punch it in the head.

I'm guessing the past Jaegers were doomed by the same fate that befell Cherno and Crimson- overly reliant on outdated tactics that the Kaiju evolved to fight. That, and the attrition would take a very big toll, not just on the ability to replace lost Jaegers with new ones, but more importantly pilots. We're told the ability to pilot and drift in a Jaeger is a rare quality, and very few people can do it. I think the attrition particularly hurt the Ranger Corps, since even if you find new pilots, they lack the experience the old pilots had. Mako was fortunate that she grew up in the shadow of a Jaeger pilot (as did Chuck, in a way). But obviously others were not so lucky- take into account that Coyote Tango only had 2 kills- I'm betting that's with Pentecost and Taz in the conn. When Taz and Stacker were sickened by radiation, obviously other pilots took their place, and unfortunately got turned into Kaiju kibble.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 19, 2013

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I've come to the conclusion that many people who call themselves film fans are actually sports fans in denial.

Ditch Cherno Alpha and start following the career of a young, promising and hungry boxer - the heights of passion and disappointment you'll feel will eclipse anything a CG robot side character could ever produce.

You're closer than you might think. Del Toro spends a significant portion of his director commentary explaining that Pacific Rim is a sports movie that just happens to have robots/pilots instead of athletes. The disgraced former player, coach, rear end in a top hat team star, scary adversary team from the rich side of town (kaiju), etc.

EDIT: To back up what SMG is talking about, I didn't get the impression that the acid even affected the cockpit. The robot takes the acid full on in the middle of his hat and the upper parts melt down, with some drip down that gets into the cockpit ceiling. When Leatherback palms the cockpit screen before crushing iit, it looks like the glass is intact.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 19, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

You're closer than you might think. Del Toro spends a significant portion of his director commentary explaining that Pacific Rim is a sports movie that just happens to have robots/pilots instead of athletes. The disgraced former player, coach, rear end in a top hat team star, scary adversary team from the rich side of town (kaiju), etc.

See: my earlier post about kaiju films and the aesthetics of pro wrestling.

quote:

To back up what SMG is talking about, I didn't get the impression that the acid even affected the cockpit. The robot takes the acid full on in the middle of his hat and the upper parts melt down, with some drip down that gets into the cockpit ceiling. When Leatherback palms the cockpit screen before crushing iit, it looks like the glass is intact.

The cockpit doesn't have a normal glass windscreen. There's a honeycomb-textured wall there instead. (The honeycombs are semi-transparent, but not enough to see through.) Leatherback's palm is visible there because, at some point, the entire front half of the cockpit was melted or ripped off, or something. It's unclear how or when that happened.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Ok, that's the sort of in-fight detail that I was talking about earlier. I think there are several opportunities for quick but effective embellishment in these scenes where the audience is left to assume the details.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

That is the only shot of the damage done to the cockpit by the acid. There's nothing that conveys that the entire front of the cockpit is missing besides that black shape. I don't think that's clear at all -
Because there's nothing to suggest that the entire 'front of the cockpit is missing'. The conn room on the Cherno is located in the chest, so what you do know is that acid is getting on it, cracking their windshield enough to let water in (in pretty large amounts). Most of the acid damage is concentrated on the head (which on Chernota is the reactor).

quote:

Since the movie is a cartoon, it's okay to exaggerate the impact of the violence. It stands to reason that having your robot's face destroyed would hamper its ability to see. Have their visors glitch out; it's no biggie.

Well, no it doesn't, since (a) nothing along those lines happen when the heads of other Jaegars get punctured, ripped apart, or otherwise damaged (which makes sense since their neural suit gizmos don't actually cover the head), and (b) you don't know where the visual sensors that link to those visors are located or what effect having much of the reactor or part of the chest melted would have on their visors (for all you know, much of what is being shown to them are internal status reports).

Basically it just sounds like a complaint based on a bunch of unwarranted (and in some cases contradicted) assumptions that you're making.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Habibi posted:

Because there's nothing to suggest that the entire 'front of the cockpit is missing'. [...] acid is getting on it, cracking their windshield enough to let water in

The second-last shot of Cherno shows that the entire front of the cockpit was destroyed. You can see it at 1:28 in this clip. leatherback's hand is visible through a massive hole where the honeycomb wall/windshield used to be.

There is no shot of Cherno's windshield cracking.

quote:

Well, no it doesn't, since (a) nothing along those lines happen when the heads of other Jaegars get punctured, ripped apart, or otherwise damaged (which makes sense since their neural suit gizmos don't actually cover the head), and (b) you don't know where the visual sensors that link to those visors are located or what effect having much of the reactor or part of the chest melted would have on their visors (for all you know, much of what is being shown to them are internal status reports).

Basically it just sounds like a complaint based on a bunch of unwarranted (and in some cases contradicted) assumptions that you're making.
You are talking about the technical specifications of the virtual robot. I am talking about the presentation of the relationship between the actors, the special-effects spectacle, and other elements of the action scene.

There actually is a brief (<1 second shot) of a punch causing Cherno's HUD to flicker. Is this the most effective way to convey that damage to the robot distorts the perceptions of the pilots?

Keep in mind that, with this budget, they could have literally done anything. Saying "that's just how the suits work" isn't a valid justification.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

The second-last shot of Cherno shows that the entire front of the cockpit was destroyed. You can see it at 1:28 in this clip. leatherback's hand is visible through a massive hole where the honeycomb wall/windshield used to be.

There is no shot of Cherno's windshield cracking.
Are you for real? This is a view after a prolonged assault on the Jaegar by Leatherback, squatting on its shoulders or whatever and ripping chunks of it off, smashing in its reactor like a god drat whack-a-mole, and then knocking it over and pounding it into the water. I think it's more than fair to conclude that at that point that the conn room exterior has been damaged by more than the acid (especially since you can see Leatherbacks claws grabbing right around it in a few scenes), which in all of the shots we see of it barely begins to touch the conn room or its honeycombed window.

quote:

You are talking about the technical specifications of the virtual robot. I am talking about the presentation of the relationship between the actors, the special-effects spectacle, and other elements of the action scene.

There actually is a brief (<1 second shot) of a punch causing Cherno's HUD to flicker. Is this the most effective way to convey that damage to the robot distorts the perceptions of the pilots?
I am bringing up technical specs (even though it's pretty clear from the external shots in the movie that the conn room is in the chest) to emphasize that the specific scenario you're trying to fantasize makes absolutely no sense. Why would we see massive acid damage in the conn room when it's located mostly below the area targeted and hit by the acid? All we clearly see the acid do is damage the honeycombed view screen, leading to water first entering the room (something you didn't even realize was happening in your initial comment). The punch doesn't cause the HUD to flicker - he's destroying the reactor and as such power in the Jaegar is turning off. You're running on this bizarre belief where "OMG WHAT THE PILOT PERCEIVES HAS TO BE DISTORTED" in a scenario where you don't even know what the pilot perceives or how it would be distorted or why, beyond that "THERE IS ACID ON THE HEAD SO IT MUST," even though the 'head' isn't even a 'head.'

quote:

Keep in mind that, with this budget, they could have literally done anything. Saying "that's just how the suits work" isn't a valid justification.
Justification for what? Them not working exactly like you would prefer them to even though it makes little sense in the context of the movie? What the gently caress does the budget even have to do with that? I mean, hey, with their budget they could have done anything with anything so why didn't Gipsy clone himself a few times before taking on Otachi, you know, even though that's not consistent with anything else in the story nor really a function of them having an enormous budget, but, man, why not, right??

e: and on a related note:

The cockpit doesn't have a normal glass windscreen. There's a honeycomb-textured wall there instead. (The honeycombs are semi-transparent, but not enough to see through.) Leatherback's palm is visible there because, at some point, the entire front half of the cockpit was melted or ripped off, or something. It's unclear how or when that happened.

Actually they are transparent enough to see through, as you get a shot of both the internal lights flashing out from the glass on the outside, as well as one looking out from behind the pilots as they're first attacking otachi, and you can see the blur of motion from the fight through it (it's super fast but there is everything to suggest it's transparent enough to see through. Of course that is sort of moot when it comes to seeing Leatherback's hand, since as noted entire viewscreen is gone by the time he finishes tearing pieces of Cherno off and pushes the remainder under water.

e2: vvv Right? I mean that fucker goes to town on it.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 19, 2013

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Did you completely ignore Leatherback tearing huge pieces off of Cherno? It probably came from that.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012
I think its worth repeating something. We see Cherno and Crimson getting stomped by the Kaiju, but actually this is pretty much par for the course for when a Jaeger meets a Kaiju. Its easy to think of them as boxers racking up wins, but in fact the win ratios for the robots is pretty poor. If I recall correctly, Gipsy had only beaten 2 or 3 Kaiju before Knifehead ripped her apart (and one of those victories was as part of a 3 team drop, 3 against 1 Kaiju, how unfair!). Didn't Stacker's Jaeger only have 2 kills?

Of the two elite Jaegers, Crimson had 6 kills and the uber sophisticated Styker Eureka had 10. When it appears that on average a Jaeger only last through 3 or 4 fights then its probably the case that Cherno and Crimson had lasted longer than expected anyway and were probably living on borrowed time.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Gipsy had 5 kills before Knifehead, iirc. But yes, most Jaegars didn't last very long unless, again as the movie makes clear, their pilots were good. Hence, again, why Pentecost doesn't credit the Jaegars with kills, but their crews.

Though Pentecost's Jaegar iirc was retired not because of defeat but because it was killing its pilots.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 19, 2013

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Actually, related to that, the thing that did big me was the Jaeger timeline. Literally all of they Jaegars were built in a 4 year span (3, if you don't count Striker), ending 6 years before the final events of the movie. And yet not long before that,
we are told that the are losing Jaegars faster than they can build them. It doesn't make any sense. It took them a total 4 years to build them all, a total 10 years to lose them all, and at the time of that statement, they hadn't even tried to build one in about 5 years.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Habibi posted:

Actually, related to that, the thing that did big me was the Jaeger timeline. Literally all of they Jaegars were built in a 4 year span (3, if you don't count Striker), ending 6 years before the final events of the movie. And yet not long before that,
we are told that the are losing Jaegars faster than they can build them. It doesn't make any sense. It took them a total 4 years to build them all, a total 10 years to lose them all, and at the time of that statement, they hadn't even tried to build one in about 5 years.

By the expanded universe, Striker Eureka finished construction a few months before Gipsy Danger was destroyed by Knifehead, and the film heavily implies that Gipsy was the first Jaeger to ever fall in combat. They might have figured they wouldn't need any more than they had, at least for a long time, and all the money for new Jaegers got earmarked for the Wall. By the time Jaegers started falling, the budget was already set, and the circumstances just convinced the politicians that the Wall was a better project any way if the Jaegers couldn't win any more.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Habibi posted:

the specific scenario you're trying to fantasize makes absolutely no sense. Why would we see massive acid damage in the conn room when it's located mostly below the area targeted and hit by the acid?

I'm talking about the imagery onscreen. You are correct that things happened offscreen, canonically, but that's unimportant.

When I say that the holograms 'should' be distorted more, I am talking about fictional events that could happen to more effectively convey ideas to the audience. The filmmakers could have had Cherno get hit in the eyes. Saying "That's impossible! Cherno's eyes are located 3.5 metres from the location of the damage!" is... weird. Cherno Alphas don't exist. The filmmakers could have created an image of him being blinded if they had wanted to.

We could have seen the wall get viscerally torn away, instead of just assuming that it happened at some point. That was an option.

I am emphatically not talking about how the robot 'actually works', because that would be dumb. It's fiction. It was constructed by artists.

When the red robot dies, a claw punctures the cockpit set. When the brown robot dies, a hand reaches into the cockpit set. Del Toro is obviously going for this thing where the puncturing of the cockpit represents death. The problem is that there is then a disconnect in prior interactions. The jaegers get punched and we cut to the usual 'Star Trek' thing where the actors flop around in a set. Outside the single death shots, we only see the pilots in a little room. They only interact with the world through the holograms. So: the filmmakers should have shown the holograms getting hosed up, to convey how the outside world affects the pilots.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 19, 2013

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I'm talking about the imagery onscreen. You are correct that things happened offscreen, canonically, but that's unimportant.
They do happen onscreen.

quote:

When I say that the holograms 'should' be distorted more, I am talking about fictional events that could happen to more effectively convey ideas to the audience. The filmmakers could have had Cherno get hit in the eyes. Saying "That's impossible! Cherno's eyes are located 3.5 metres from the location of the damage!" is... weird. Cherno Alphas don't exist. The filmmakers could have created an image of him being blinded if they had wanted to.

Except I only brought up the technical details to reinforce things we do actually see happen on screen and which you either ignored, forgot about, or are refusing to acknowledge. So you complained that there was nothing linking the acid to the damage of the cockpit - which is a bizarre complaint because as far as we on screen, the acid doesn't damage the cockpit much. Instead, between the acid attack and the view of the destroyed conn room, what we see on screen is an enormous Kaiju gorilla sitting on the robot and pounding the hell out of it, tearing pieces off and throwing them away. And at the end you're asking, "Well why didn't we see more to show the acid destroying the front of the conn room?" It just doesn't make any sense. It's like seeing a chimp jump on and start assaulting a man amidst a flurry of blood and torn flesh, and then seeing the corpse with its face missing and going, "How did THAT possibly happen??" Well, poo poo, let me think.

quote:

We could have seen the wall get viscerally torn away, instead of just assuming that it happened at some point. That was an option.
Yes, sure, and they could have made the movie 40 hours long to viscerally show every single thing they instead just noted or assumed the audience would understand either from context or from, you know, actually being shown it onscreen.

quote:

I am emphatically not talking about how the robot 'actually works', because that would be dumb. It's fiction. It was constructed by artists.
But you are, since you are complaining that the robot getting hit in a certain way should affect the pilot experience in a certain way. That's not talking about how the robot works? Oh, okay then.

quote:

So: the filmmakers should have shown the holograms getting hosed up, to convey how the outside world affects the pilots.
After Leatherback tags Cherno, those holograms go out completely, so....

Seriously, man, I get the feeling you just need to go back and rewatch the movie, because most of the stuff you've brought up actually did happen to some extent.

And if your complaint is really, "Well, it didn't show it happening to enough of an extent," well, poo poo, what movie could you not say that about given that you're dealing with a 90-120 minute piece of media?

Habibi fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 19, 2013

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

It probably would have been better if the acid just tore through the Conn-Pod and wiped out the pilots instantly, IMO.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Habibi posted:

Make up your mind, then, because your original complaint was that the Jaegars were hyped up in dialog, which they weren't. I don't really give a poo poo about the marketing. That you conflate Jaegars for pilots when the movie drubs into you that the former are only as good as the latter (which isn't the equivalent of the two being one and the same) is hardly the movies fault v:shobon:v

Jeeze you're a hypocrite. I'm not allowed to bring in outside marketing in building my expectations for the film (like trailers - so esoteric!), but in your responses to SuperMechagodzilla you bring in all this technobabble about Jaeger design which obviously came from outside material which are OK, I guess, because they reinforce YOUR point I guess.

Anyways, I'm sorry Habibi / Mr. Del Toro for questioning any choices in a film you directed - Pacific Rim was perfection incarnate, and clearly the problem is mine.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Wizchine posted:

Jeeze you're a hypocrite. I'm not allowed to bring in outside marketing in building my expectations for the film (like trailers - so esoteric!), but in your responses to SuperMechagodzilla you bring in all this technobabble about Jaeger design which obviously came from outside material which are OK, I guess, because they reinforce YOUR point I guess.

Anyways, I'm sorry Habibi / Mr. Del Toro for questioning any choices in a film you directed - Pacific Rim was perfection incarnate, and clearly the problem is mine.

Oh yeah there was a whole lot of technobabble there :rolleyes: especially since I've already pointed out that everything you need to see is clearly visible on the screen without needing to refer to anything else. And I only called out your marketing comment because your initial complaint specifically referenced the hype in the dialogue, and that's what I was responding to until you suddenly started talking about marketing. And as I said then, if you're going by marketing hype, I don't really care about it and I'm not going to get in the way of your complaining, so feel free. So ooh yeeah I'm obviously a big hypocrite whatever.

e: And apology accepted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Habibi posted:

It's like seeing a chimp jump on and start assaulting a man amidst a flurry of blood and torn flesh, and then seeing the corpse with its face missing and going, "How did THAT possibly happen??"

There's a difference between what happens and how it happens. It is not presented very effectively.

Also, your analogy is off because actually we repeatedly cut inside the man's brain to see two smaller men who represent his thoughts and experiences as he is being attacked by the chimp. There is no shot of 'the corpse with its face missing'. The missing face is presented from the viewpoint of thoughts inside the dying man's brain.

The question is why this image of a man being ravaged by a mad ape is not very horrific (actually fairly shrugworthy), despite being realized with multi-million-dollar special effects and a sci-fi analogy/conceit gives us a direct link to the victim's psychology.

There's a also point where the little thought-men become terrified that the man's power hat is being melted by acidic chimp spit.

The power-hat being melted by acid spit is symbolic. Like it's literally the (nuclear) power of Putin-era Russia being dissolved. This is 'visualized' by the little thought-men yelling expository dialogue about how acid has melted the hat. The expository dialogue stands for a failure to visualize what is happening. The filmmakers could have easily shown them losing power with visual cues. (The lights dimming, a switch to a backup generator, things of that sort.)

See, the actual story is not that a monster punched a robot. It's mythic Samson-style imagery, where Cherno's symbolic hat was the source of his power, and its being knocked off left him feeling impotent. With that established, is the film effective at conveying this? Nah, not really. Contrast it with something like Darth Vader taking off his mask, or Bane getting his mask damaged in Dark Knight 3. See also Sentinel Prime getting his helmet knocked off in Transformers 3, revealing his bald head.

Note the character's posture, and how he's positioned beneath Optimus. Having his hat knocked off is a big deal that makes him look weak and pathetic.

There's barely any difference to Cherno before and after the hat gets knocked off. It's the point of the scene, and yet the presentation makes it seem fairly inconsequential - to the point that it hasn't even come up in the previous multipage analysis of the fight scene in question.

Scyantific posted:

It probably would have been better if the acid just tore through the Conn-Pod and wiped out the pilots instantly, IMO.

Yep! Extended acid death would have been rad.

• Locked thread