Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Killer robot posted:

I moved to using a no-cook sauce made with tomato paste, water, honey, parmesan cheese, garlic, and a bunch of seasonings I just premix in a bottle so I can spoon it in with no real work. It's pretty spicy and flavorful, and I have no regrets there.

I've done this before, and still do it if I need a quick/cheap tomato sauce. I've found you can mix in some olive oil with the paste before adding the water, and it works as an emulsifier to keep the oil/water from separating. If its a larger batch I throw in some crushed tomato to give it a little texture.

nmfree posted:

Gonna quote myself:

The last batch I made I used half-pint Mason jars instead of bags, and it seems to have worked out pretty well.

I've also done this recipe a number of times, its really good. In the episode he talks about how tomatoes have flavors which are alcohol soluble, and aren't water soluble. I don't know how much of a difference I notice in that regard, but the added flavor from the wine is very welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hankki
Nov 10, 2009

First time posting but I have been making pizzas at home for sometime now and this particular one is a new favourite of ours. It consists of marinated (lime, chili, garlic, cilantro, oil etc.) shrimp, chili, red onion and mozzarella. Into to the preheated oven it goes and is topped with some post-oven toppings, in this case, avocado, lime and cilantro. Highly recommended if you find yourself on a rut and making the same pizzas over and over again.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
That looks hella tasty :)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Do you take the lime off after putting it on? Or what?

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
That looks awesome; nice job man. What gave you the inspiration?

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
So I ran across this a few years back, Little Black Egg Pizza Has anyone in here built one of these, if so what did you think of it. I've already got like 85% of the required items to make one, just curious if its worth it to hack up my spare weber.

hankki
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah the lime goes off before digestion as it is only there as garnish although I like to squeeze a bit on my slice, the girlfriend however, does not. The inspiration came from us wanting shrimps on our pizza but our previous experiences were that they tasted a bit bland so in came the marinade. The avocado came from our travels since we had visited a pizza place that we remembered doing such thing even though we did not try that particular pizza then. The marinade included stuff that we usually combine with avocado (guacamole, avocado pasta) so 1+1= delicious pizza.

Does anyone have any other "non-traditional" pizza recipes that they'd care to share? I'll be sure to try out Sacrilage's pizza that was shared on the previous page since it sounds absolutely delicious!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I had posted a few non-traditional pizzas a long rear end time ago in this thread.

Thai pizza. Peanut sauce, mozzarella, onions and chillies. Cooked, then topped with a salad of bean sprouts, coriander (cilantro), carrots, soy sauce and toasted sesame oil. loving excellent.

We also did a 'Mexican' one that I didn't get pictures of, unfortunately. It was fairly identical to California Pizza Kitchen's one, though. Black bean sauce, cheese, bake. Top with shredded lettuce, fried corn tortilla strips, tomatoes, some sort of creamy garlic dressing, etc. Nice to have something different sometimes!

drat, I need to make pizza again :smith:

keyrock
Mar 5, 2010
The non-traditional pizza for us is leftover pulled pork and brie.

The pork gets a good crust and the brie adds a nice creamy texture.

It is not one of the lighter pizzas, but it's really good.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Can you substitute RapidRise yeast for active dry yeast?

edit: nm, seems like I just add it to the dry ingredients

indoflaven fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 7, 2013

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
I never would of thought to use bean sprouts; god drat genius. I'm trying the hankki Avocado and angor Thai pizzas tomorrow.

drat glad I stopped by this thread. :cheers:

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

I made a pizza and would like you guys to rate it, and give me some pizza pro-tips, thank you. :)

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
Less shirt; in this very specific case, I feel that you cannot adequately cook pizza with a shirt.

Otherwise, looks perfect.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
If I recall she's like 16.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sacrilage posted:

Less shirt; in this very specific case, I feel that you cannot adequately cook pizza with a shirt.

Otherwise, looks perfect.

Wow. :ughh:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm clearly missing something here.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Jedit posted:

I'm clearly missing something here.

Internet male syndrome.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Here's one of my favorite non-traditional pizzas. Take asparagus and shave it (like with a vegetable peeler) into ribbons. Toss the asparagus with olive oil, salt, pepper, a little minced garlic, a bit of sliced red onion, maybe a bit of lemon juice. Brush a bit of olive oil on the crust, then top with the shaved asparagus. You want to use enough asparagus so that you cover the entire pizza with asparagus in one thin layer. Add on top some slices of prosciutto (other cured pork products would work too). Bake the pizza and towards the end of baking, crack on a couple eggs or three. When you add the eggs depends on how fast your pizzas cook with your pizza cooking method of choice, you want to add the eggs at the right time so the whites set but the yolks are runny. Delicious as is but after baking you can also either shave on some pecorino or parmesan or for extra richness, drizzle the whole pizza with hollandaise sauce.

Eggs are also great on onion pizzas, where you use a ton of caramelized onions for the sauce, then some sort of soft cheese. Because the onions are sweet, a tangy cheese like a goat cheese works well. This was an onion pizza that was made with ricotta.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What would constitute a real life good Taco pizza. I'm craving one from my childhood but google recipes all use poo poo like straight salsa as the sauce.

Preferably with a new york style crust.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Mr. Wookums posted:

What would constitute a real life good Taco pizza. I'm craving one from my childhood but google recipes all use poo poo like straight salsa as the sauce.

Preferably with a new york style crust.

Maybe I'm just an uncreative dumb-dumb, but I don't really think you can get around using taco-seasoned ground beef. If you're ok with that, then I think it's pretty straight forward- sauce should be pretty basic, probably uncooked- your cheese is a mix- some mozz for melting, and either a 'mexican' blend or if you want to be classy, some cojita. I'd go red onion, jalapenos (pickled, for authenticity), and sprinkle with some chopped fresh tomato, cilantro and oregano to finish.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Approximately when would you add eggs when cooking in a normal oven that doesn't get crazy hot? That seems like one of those things you could very easily over/under cook.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Approximately when would you add eggs when cooking in a normal oven that doesn't get crazy hot? That seems like one of those things you could very easily over/under cook.

Hmm...for a normal oven that maxes out at 500 or 550, I'd probably add the egg three or four minutes before the pie was finished cooking. The heat from the mostly-cooked pizza would help to set the bottom and I'd imagine three or four minutes would be enough for the convective heat above the pizza to set the top of the egg as well without cooking the yolk (assuming you want a runny yolk...which you should).

Please note that I have never cooked an egg on a pizza in any way shape or form, this is baseless speculation, and that if you try it and die of salmonella it is not my fault.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Hey pizza thread. I'm in Italy. Thin base and less is more with toppings is how the Italians see it too.

They sell it by WEIGHT! It's very cheap too, you can have piles of the stuff for a few dollars. It's the crispy base and the quality of the ingredients (and Italian cuisine staple) that made these pizzas easily the best I've ever had anywhere, anyhow.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is that Pizzarium?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Nope, it's a little place off one of the side streets from the Trevi Fountain, Rome.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Getting pizza in Naples was absurd. Delicious "personal" size pizzas at every place you walk by for 1 euro.

Is it wrong to want to move somewhere just for pizza?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Come to San Francisco! The wood-fired pizzas are the craze right now and you can get them everywhere. Except personal sized pizzas are $20.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Pizza was crazy good in Florence when I was there too

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

clockworx posted:

Getting pizza in Naples was absurd. Delicious "personal" size pizzas at every place you walk by for 1 euro.

Is it wrong to want to move somewhere just for pizza?

Yes, Naples is different to what you'll see in my picture. Really the home of pizza and they take the 'less is more' topping thing to extreme. Even here in the north, cheese, onion, sausage, tomato sauce - that's an expensive one with lots of poo poo on it.

Mu Zeta posted:

Come to San Francisco! The wood-fired pizzas are the craze right now and you can get them everywhere. Except personal sized pizzas are $20.

It's the price that makes it so crazy in Italy. You just eat it all the time, well, as much as you can and then you go and have a beautiful plate of pasta for dinner or something. I had some friends with me in Rome and, as much as it pains me to say it, they were classic Australian bogans and I just couldn't get them to understand that eating in the cheapest places meant you're going to get average food. Once I'd ditched them and could really just go and explore and don't mind paying normal prices, Italy has incredible food.

France however, holy loving poo poo. I'm from Italian heritage, but I'm not blind enough to try and say Italian cuisine is superior to French. Italian is top ingredients prepared in generally simple and rustic ways, which is lovely. French cuisine is the loving NASA of cooking, with the complicated methods and hardcore standards as well as the best produce in all of Europe (most of the stuff eaten in Europe comes from France, they're an agricultural hub).

For instance, driving through Calais and I wanted some breakfast. I stopped at a very average, almost Starbucks kind of place. They had quiche there, of course, and it looked like cheese and broccoli. Ok, it's cheap and I can grab and coffee and keep going, fine, yeah that one. This bloody quiche was cheese, broc and salmon - which I found when I bit in, and the base was the most fine, crumbly, buttery thing I had ever eaten. It was simply the most incredible quiche I had ever had, I literally had to sit down and just eat it slowly and consider what the gently caress was happening in my mouth, and this was the quick and dirty fare for the French.

Totally blew me away. Then you go and get some bread, or a croissant. Holy poo poo.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Tony Montana posted:

French cuisine is the loving NASA of cooking

It's just butter.

Delicious, delicious butter :getin:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Doh004 posted:

It's just butter.

Delicious, delicious butter :getin:

and eggs. and cream. and people that get loving lovely unless you cook an egg the right way.

I know you're probably joking, but there are certain idiots who really believe what you said. I remember my father dismissing French as 'it's all just sauces'. I think the best and most relatable example for people from the anglo-sphere is Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsay.

Jamie is a chill dude that likes to kick back with friends often on his shows and loves throwing things together to make hearty, tasty food. Gordon is a perfectionist with more actual technical training in cooking that Jamie could ever comprehend. Gordon is also known for being borderline psychotic about the performance of his brigade.

Guess which specializes in which cuisine?

By the way, I love Gordon.. passion is never something to be ashamed about :)

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

hankki posted:

First time posting but I have been making pizzas at home for sometime now and this particular one is a new favourite of ours. It consists of marinated (lime, chili, garlic, cilantro, oil etc.) shrimp, chili, red onion and mozzarella. Into to the preheated oven it goes and is topped with some post-oven toppings, in this case, avocado, lime and cilantro. Highly recommended if you find yourself on a rut and making the same pizzas over and over again.

Putting avocado on a pizza post cooking is something that I've never considered before, but now I've seen it I realise I've been waiting for it all my life.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Awww yiss. I got a baking stone and a pizza peel for Christmas :D Thinking about making some weird Christmas pizza with whatever's in the fridge, because stores are closed until Friday and I have no mozzarella...

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Stores closed until friday? Nothing around here shuts down anymore.

Also it is not my cup of tea, but my lady friend would go nuts for that shrimp avocado pizza.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

I'm in Finland. Most of the country shuts down at noon on Christmas Eve :) Some places in central Helsinki stay open, some open for a few hours on Boxing Day, but bleh, I can wait.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!
Jkk: If I were you I'd just go to a gas station and pick up a cheese. Knowing you're in Finland is: just buy an Oltermanni or similar creem cheese, it'll not be perfect but it can still be pretty drat good. On the other hand the stores are open tomorrow again as usual.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Oltermanni? urgh no.

I might have time to pop down to the Alepa tomorrow, but if not, I'll happily wait until Friday or Saturday :P

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!
Report back when you made the pizza. I'm curious to know which mozzarella you think is working best because I've never had god luck with mozzarellas found in my stores.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
So my brother runs the kitchen at the new Varasano's at the Atlanta airport. I got to travel and finally see the kitchen and got a tour and even got to make my own pizza!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

godzirraRAWR fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierat
Mar 29, 2008
ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE THE BNP

Goose/chorizo with mozzarella and farmer's cheese. Also a sherry reduction.

edit: The angle is to hide my terribly oblong crust :negative: