Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I just started reading this and I'm loving it. The protagonist isn't very smart, skilled, charismatic, or hard-working. He just wants to stay at home and clip coupons for sweet deals at the grocery store. By all accounts he's a total fuckup. Oh, except that he appears to be completely invincible and can demolish ultra-powered metahumans and titanic behemoths, instantly, with no effort whatsoever. And no one likes him for it.

And the art is fantastic. All the characters and environments are hyper-detailed, yet Saitama's face looks like it was drawn by a six year old, further highlighting the total difference between him and everyone else.

I might have to go read ONE's old terribly-drawn comics just so I can get my fix. This series is great. Just wish it was more easily available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Soulcleaver posted:

I might have to go read ONE's old terribly-drawn comics just so I can get my fix. This series is great. Just wish it was more easily available.

Do it, it's totally worth it. And ONE's art isn't as awful as people make it seem. It is fairly poor quality, but the actual composition is quite good; good enough that you can pretty easily tell what's going on despite the otherwise poor quality.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Genocyber posted:

Do it, it's totally worth it. And ONE's art isn't as awful as people make it seem. It is fairly poor quality, but the actual composition is quite good; good enough that you can pretty easily tell what's going on despite the otherwise poor quality.
To be fair, ONE's art is definitely not good, but when it's being compared to Murata, just about everything looks like utter trash.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Soulcleaver posted:

I just started reading this and I'm loving it. The protagonist isn't very smart, skilled, charismatic, or hard-working. He just wants to stay at home and clip coupons for sweet deals at the grocery store. By all accounts he's a total fuckup. Oh, except that he appears to be completely invincible and can demolish ultra-powered metahumans and titanic behemoths, instantly, with no effort whatsoever. And no one likes him for it.

Liceneless Rider and Genos like him for it. :colbert:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

JosephWongKS posted:

Liceneless Rider and Genos like him for it. :colbert:

I like how Genos was on the path to being a perfectly generic, terrible S hero before he met Saitama, a destructive, heartless jerk on a self-obsessed quest for revenge. But it wasn't that he was a bad person... he just cared about the things everyone agreed he should care about. Now he's got a role-model... a penniless hobo shut-in antisocial malcontent, and so he's dedicating himself to being the best drat hero he can be.

Licenseless Rider is beyond reproach, of course.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Kaja Rainbow posted:

From what I've heard, Japanese media companies tend to make inconvenient demands of licensors. Stuff like having to license and print terrible, not very saleable titles along with the actually decent ones the licensors wanted. That kind of thing was responsible for the previous glut of mediocre manga in bookstores. Similarly they've been pretty conservative about digital distribution (not that this isn't a common trend with media companies, Japanese or not). So, yeah, if it's only available in the US, it's probably because of some international rights holdup or similar issues.

So it's basically like American cable networks. Got it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Soulcleaver posted:

I just started reading this and I'm loving it. The protagonist isn't very smart, skilled, charismatic, or hard-working.

Umm, I'd like to see YOU do 100 push-ups every day.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Do you think the hundred sit ups, hundred push ups, and 100 squats are all in one set or do you think it's multiple sets? Cause I can do 100 sit ups no problem one set, but I can't do 100 push ups or squats in less than four sets yet. I'm not going bald but I did find a couple grey hairs in my goatee, do you think I'm getting close?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Do you think the hundred sit ups, hundred push ups, and 100 squats are all in one set or do you think it's multiple sets? Cause I can do 100 sit ups no problem one set, but I can't do 100 push ups or squats in less than four sets yet. I'm not going bald but I did find a couple grey hairs in my goatee, do you think I'm getting close?

Don't forget to also run 10 km a day, eat three meals a day (ideally with breakfast comprising just a banana), and avoid using any air-conditioning or central heating.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Wait so is the only way to get OPM legally through Viz Media's deal? Is that the same thing as http://shonenjump.viz.com/ or something a bit different since some people were talking about only being able to read it on smart phones?

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
It's that, yes. It just differs depending on your location what you can get. If you're from US or Canada, you have a few different choices, if you're from New Zealand, UK, South Africa or Australia it's iOS or Android or go home, and if you're from anywhere else, you are screwed.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

PringleCreamEgg posted:

You also can't forget that you need to do it every day, with no breaks. I think the fact that Saitama actually followed his exercise routine without slacking off once is supposed to be the joke.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Fish Fry Andy posted:

You also can't forget that you need to do it every day, with no breaks. I think the fact that Saitama actually followed his exercise routine without slacking off once is supposed to be the joke.

What? No, the joke is that it's a ridiculously small amount of exercise considering Saitama is strong enough to probably punch a hole in the ground large enough to be seen from space.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

AnonSpore posted:

What? No, the joke is that it's a ridiculously small amount of exercise considering Saitama is strong enough to probably punch a hole in the ground large enough to be seen from space.

Yes, and part of the reason he became ridiculously strong through his ridiculously small amount of exercise, at least according to himself, is that he never took any breaks or skimped out.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

AnonSpore posted:

Hey I'd like to see you go through that exercise regiment. Them is solid fundamentals there.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Actually, you can get back issues of Shonen Jump if you pay but only three months back and only in North America through the web app. :facepalm:

Gyges posted:

Another Special Bonus Chapter came out in today's Jump. Saitama get's his toughest job yet, tracking down the cute little Torako. Marvel as a being appears who is actually able to harm the mighty Saitama.
Felled by a cat. :(

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
So Boon himself dropped this because Viz caught up but Ultimate King and some other 4Chan users have just finished translating the latest chapter. They've put it up on Boons site too so it's pretty much business as usual.

And now it's up on Batoto.

evilspacehopper fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 22, 2013

coathat
May 21, 2007

That's some lovely news. I wish they'd put that wasted effort towards something worthwhile.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I for one, am glad for that. There's no way for me to see OPM with Viz since my country isn't supported

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilspacehopper posted:

What kind of school is Child Emperor attending that even he needs to attend cram school?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

JosephWongKS posted:

What kind of school is Child Emperor attending that even he needs to attend cram school?

He is taking ALL of the classes, EVERY SINGLE ONE.

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008

JosephWongKS posted:

Oh he's not attending. He's teaching.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Countblanc posted:

Umm, I'd like to see YOU do 100 push-ups every day.

Its easier than you think.

Today is day 101, for those keeping track.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I'm still doing 3 sets.

Matoi Ryuko fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Nov 22, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

international owl day posted:

Its easier than you think.

Today is day 101, for those keeping track.

I'm still doing 3 sets.

How much hair have you lost so far?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

JosephWongKS posted:

N-none!!!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

evilspacehopper posted:

So Boon himself dropped this because Viz caught up but Ultimate King and some other 4Chan users have just finished translating the latest chapter. They've put it up on Boons site too so it's pretty much business as usual.

Good, cause I'm never buying into a web only app for manga and frankly I was going to write off ever reading this again if it wasn't available online in some fashion.

Now I can see glorious artwork I would have stood in the bookstore for 15 minutes reading paid for in book form

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

JosephWongKS posted:

Saitama didn't start losing hair until halfway through his second year.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

I'm still doing 3 sets.

Do you run your 10k in three sets as well? :colbert:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

JosephWongKS posted:

Japanese.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

Do you run your 10k in three sets as well? :colbert:

No, but I tried to do the pushups in a single set, my arms gave out around 45, so I took like a 10 second break, did 10-15 more and took another 10 second break and repeated until I got to 100, and now my shoulder hurts really bad when I do pushups, so I'm going back to 3 sets until I am stronger.

Matoi Ryuko fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 22, 2013

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

No, but I tried to do the pushups in a single set, my arms gave out around 45, so I took like a 10 second break, did 10-15 more and took another 10 second break and repeated until I got to 100, and now my shoulder hurts really bad when I do pushups, so I'm going back to 3 sets until I am stronger.

Have you tried getting punched by a guy who smacks around a light cord?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Side-chapter is out - http://mangafox.me/manga/onepunch_man/c030.1/1.html

In which Saitama has lunch on a roof-top and saves a dude with his chopsticks.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I like it, it can't all be about monsters blowing up the city of the week.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Reminds me of that Grant Morrison Superman story, although in a different way. Still, pretty :unsmith:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

I bet you use the A/C in summer and the heater in winter.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Nahxela posted:

I bet you use the A/C in summer and the heater in winter.

I live in Illinois it loving sucks here year-round.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

JosephWongKS posted:

Side-chapter is out - http://mangafox.me/manga/onepunch_man/c030.1/1.html

In which Saitama has lunch on a roof-top and saves a dude with his chopsticks.

That was amazing. when he drops his salmon, runs down the building catches it and jumps back up the building. holy poo poo!!!

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

dazoner posted:

That was amazing. when he drops his salmon, runs down the building catches it and jumps back up the building. holy poo poo!!!

Should be an anime already.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I'd rather watch an anime of the original ONE comic than whatever disappointing mess would come out of animating Murata's version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I finally broke down and stated reading ONE's version and oh god why can't we clone Murata so he can do the rest right now the very next arc is incredible. :negative: