Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Feenix posted:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude, just shocked if you didn't know about PS4's bricking on Launch Day. :)
Are there really a lot of reports about PS4s "bricking" specifically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Mostly reports of dead on arrival consoles, mostly from Amazon. Standard launch day stuff. Expect an encore on Friday when the Xbone is released.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

Bricking as in failing system updates, no. DOA or flaky stability and finally dying for good, yes, a few cases of that, at least some of which due to being poorly packaged and damaged in transit.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

My PS4 has been on for 12 or so hours every day since the 15th and I have literally had zero errors outside of the psn being screwy on the first few days. I know this doesn't really tell you much but I just want to point out that it's very reliable if you don't get one DOA/soon after.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Oh hey. Not sure if it's the case, but it appears that 1.51 let me actually update Warframe through its internal patcher without freezing my system. I haven't been able to do it pre-update as I tried 3 times and each time it froze my system to the point I had to unplug it.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Kilometers Davis posted:

My PS4 has been on for 12 or so hours every day since the 15th and I have literally had zero errors outside of the psn being screwy on the first few days. I know this doesn't really tell you much but I just want to point out that it's very reliable if you don't get one DOA/soon after.

I had this weird error after I finished a multiplayer game of killzone, quit out before the next map loaded to the main menu then went to the main ui and went to my friends list. The friends list chugged real hard. AFKed for a little bit and then when I went back to Killzone it told me I was kicked for inactivity.

:psyduck:

Hasn't happened again but that was really weird.

Other than that yea 12 hours a day because I have no life and I've been having no problems updating from USB and online. I've downloaded all the F2P games except DCUO.

iKissChicks
May 1, 2008
I'm still catching up on the last ten pages of this fast moving thread, but I just wanted to say that I'd like an invite to the Warframe Dojo if there is room! Please add hershekiss to the list. I'm usually playing Injustice, Resogun, and Warframe until I pick up ACIV.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I'm just glad it looks like UPS didn't punt my system since I had one of those from Amazon where there was no air bubble things beneath the system. I've had no problems beyond one crash to the error report screen on System menu 1.0 when I swapped controllers while it downloaded the 1.5 update.

e: well no, I also sometimes lose the ip address to my router if I go into standby but I'm blaming standby being buggy since it also sometimes screws up the hdcp hand shaking with my 2007 tv"

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 20, 2013

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Mine was one of the essentially bricked PS4s from Amazon. Turn it on and all it does is slowly flash the blue light, never boots up.

I will say that sending it back to Sony hasn't been a bad experience thus far. Sent me the coffin overnight via FedEx with an overnight prepaid return label. With any luck I may finally be able to play with you guys soon.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Ularg posted:

Other than that yea 12 hours a day because I have no life and I've been having no problems updating from USB and online. I've downloaded all the F2P games except DCUO.

I really can't wait for Thanksgiving vacation next week. Gonna head up to my parents, have a few days off work and then the weekend. I'm bringing my PS4 and I plan to do nothing but drink beer and play PS4 (ok maybe some car work).

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
For anyone still trying to get a PS4, I can't recommend this site enough. I managed to score one through Best Buy by signing up for a text alert once the came in stock. You can set it up for vendors in Canada and the UK.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Does the PS4 support themes?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
For anyone who was planning on getting that $30 for 1 year of PS+ deal from Gamestop on Black Friday, just in case your local one is too crowded or runs out Walmart will price match it.

bigger thicker loads
Feb 28, 2003

you know you want it
I just got my PS4 set up! Add me as a friend, I'm ericd_1979 on PSN.

I'm going to stream some COD:Goats right now at http://www.twitch.tv/ericd1979.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Elephant Ambush posted:

No. Well, not yet, at least.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

Not yet, apparently they (Sony) are looking into implementing them but I don't have a source at hand. Don't worry, I also hope my corn on the cob on a fire put being covered in butter theme also transfers over from my PS3. edit: for clarity

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How are you supposed to take down that first military ship in rear end creed to get the metal? That thing always loving wrecks me and has more than half its health left.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I can't wait until they implement themes so I can install one and just go back to the default blue one two days later

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

NESguerilla posted:

How are you supposed to take down that first military ship in rear end creed to get the metal? That thing always loving wrecks me and has more than half its health left.

Are you using the brace button?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Take out a bunch of small ones and a red hunter ship will come after you. That one has a lot of metal and isn't as difficult as the military ships at that point. Great game, but that mission was retarded. You can't upgrade anything despite having the money and materials to do it because it wants you to beat that mission.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Roman posted:

I can't wait until they implement themes so I can install one and just go back to the default blue one two days later

It really is beautiful and works so well with the UI that I'm not sure I would even want others. The PS4 is a really cohesive system.

Ularg posted:

I had this weird error after I finished a multiplayer game of killzone, quit out before the next map loaded to the main menu then went to the main ui and went to my friends list. The friends list chugged real hard. AFKed for a little bit and then when I went back to Killzone it told me I was kicked for inactivity.

:psyduck:

Hasn't happened again but that was really weird.

That's bizarre but yeah, it could definitely be worse.

Are you enjoying Blacklight? I played it on the pc a few times and thought it was a good CoD substitute but considering that I'm loving Ghosts I don't know if it would be worth the download. It is free though so I might as well try it someday.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Roman posted:

I love my roaring fireplace theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8NvpKJrD3o

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Roman posted:

I just miss how on the PS3 it changes color/intensity based on time of day and day of year. It's always the same shade of blue on PS4. :(

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

NESguerilla posted:

Use R1 to use your binocs and use your left stick to zoom in on ships to get information on boats. They'll tell you the level of boats. Pick a military boat around level 17. They're pretty easy if you are decent enough. Run at them and hit them with your front guns. Always aim for center mass. The reason for this is because as you hit the main mass of the ship you crack open the ship to its exposed innards so your swivel cannons to make really deadly shots. They'll show up as a target on the hull of their ship with a triangle over it, hold triangle until the NPC lines up the shot and then let go for him to shoot. Turn your camera to your ships side to use your side cannons to blast a bunch of holes in and then swivel cannons. Rinse and repeat until you can board. Don't use fire barrels they are loving useless.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

macnbc posted:

I just miss how on the PS3 it changes color/intensity based on time of day and day of year. It's always the same shade of blue on PS4. :(
First thing I did when I got my PS3 is go to Classic and set it to blue, so I guess I'm boring. I guess it's because I'm a real manly man who don't want no pink sparkly waves on my shooty man game player.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Seven years later, I'm still mad that Sony apparently never gave us a way to make the XMB color black. You have to set it to color change in real time and use it at night to make it black.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ularg posted:

Use R1 to use your binocs and use your left stick to zoom in on ships to get information on boats. They'll tell you the level of boats. Pick a military boat around level 17. They're pretty easy if you are decent enough. Run at them and hit them with your front guns. Always aim for center mass. The reason for this is because as you hit the main mass of the ship you crack open the ship to its exposed innards so your swivel cannons to make really deadly shots. They'll show up as a target on the hull of their ship with a triangle over it, hold triangle until the NPC lines up the shot and then let go for him to shoot. Turn your camera to your ships side to use your side cannons to blast a bunch of holes in and then swivel cannons. Rinse and repeat until you can board. Don't use fire barrels they are loving useless.

How do you tell what level your own ship is at? I can't find it anywhere in the UI. I also haven't figured out how to select chain shot yet.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Policenaut posted:

Seven years later, I'm still mad that Sony apparently never gave us a way to make the XMB color black. You have to set it to color change in real time and use it at night to make it black.
You could set the color to white and lower the brightness all the way down.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

haveblue posted:

I also haven't figured out how to select chain shot yet.

This one selects itself if you aim your cannons with your bow/front facing the enemy. (Same way as how if you aim from aft it'll deploy barrels.)

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

haveblue posted:

How do you tell what level your own ship is at? I can't find it anywhere in the UI. I also haven't figured out how to select chain shot yet.

I don't personally know. The best indication is if you look at the boat and their level is in red then maybe you should steer clear for awhile. Also you should beat smaller boats if you quickly need to lower your wanted rating or repair your boat.

It's getting hard for me since I can nearly one shot level 4 boats and I can ram gunboats to death. It's still hilarious though.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

TealShark posted:

It's probably been said before, but try redeeming the 30-day trial of PS+ on your PS4 even if you are an active PS+ sub. I just got an extra 30 days tacked on to my account.

Yes, but it also turns on automatic renewal (3 months). So you might want to go disable that.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Konjuro posted:

Yes, but it also turns on automatic renewal (3 months). So you might want to go disable that.

Does it turn your 1 year automatic renewal down to 3 months?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Ularg posted:

No Idea, I didn't have auto-renewal turned on before. But if you go to the services list the 30 days has it's own entry with auto renew set for 3 months.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Ularg posted:

At least for me, it just slapped on another month to my current year subscription (and also turned back on auto renewal so watch out for that poo poo).

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
Towerfall: Ascension announced there will be no online multiplayer which made it a going to buy into probably wont buy for me. Do they think people are going to buy 3 extra $60 controllers for this 1 game?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

bobby2times posted:

Towerfall: Ascension announced there will be no online multiplayer which made it a going to buy into probably wont buy for me. Do they think people are going to buy 3 extra $60 controllers for this 1 game?

If they release a third new color controller, sure! :suicide:

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bobby2times posted:

Only need 2 extra controllers if you have a Vita :smug:

....:smith:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

bobby2times posted:

Completely unrelated but now I want Tribes Ascend.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

bobby2times posted:

Well, they thought people would buy the game on the Ouya sooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

That's just what I need is the world's 1 millionth game with edgy retro 16-bit poo poo graphics to land on my brand new 1080p console

• Locked thread