Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Welcome to the PS4 thread!
FAQ is at the bottom of this post! Scroll down to the second post for info on current and upcoming games!

:siren: Yes, this is a fast-moving launch thread but GAMES FORUM RULES STILL APPLY. Keep shitposting and console warrioring to a minimum. :siren:

:siren: Launch Dates :siren:
North America :smug: - 11/15/13
Europe, Central/South America, Australia - 11/29/13
Asia regions - December '13
Japan - 2/22/14

Latest Firmware: 1.70 (download here!)

:siren: Post your PS4 streams here! :siren:

PS3 Hardware thread
PS3 Games thread
PS Vita thread
PSN Store thread

Goon PSN list
Want to mass-add goons from the goon list? Click here for instructions how!
#ps4goons IRC chatroom

What is the Playstation 4?
Do I really need to answer this question? Well, okay. The Playstation 4 (henceforth 'PS4') is Sony's entrant into the eighth console generation grudge match, squaring off against the Xbox One and the Wii U - well, okay, really just the Xbox One. Sorry Nintendo. :(

How is it different from a PS3?
After over 7 years on the market, the PS3 is practically ancient in technological terms, and the PS4 provides a generational leap in processing power over its predecessor. Tech specs are below, but specifically for you - this means bigger, more immersive worlds, sharper graphics, larger player counts (in online games), and numerous other improvements as developers learn their way around the new hardware. Also importantly, the PS4's simplified PC-like architecture represents a significant departure from the PS3's esoteric design, which will make life easier for developers and ease porting between platforms.

Specs!
  • The CPU and GPU are combined into a single package, referred to by manufacturer AMD as a 'APU' or 'accelerated processing unit'.
  • CPU: custom 8-core x86-64 processor based on AMD's 'Jaguar' design, rumored to be clocked at 1.6 GHz
  • GPU: custom Radeon GCN implementation consisting of 18 compute units, theoretical performance of 1.84 TFLOPS (somewhere between a Radeon HD 7850 and 7870)
  • Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, maximum bandwidth of 176 GB/s (~3 GB reportedly reserved by OS)
  • Storage: 6x Blu-ray drive, 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD (~60 GB reserved by OS)
  • I/O: 802.11 b/g/n Wifi (2.4 GHz only), Gigabit ethernet, Bluetooth 2.1, 2x USB 3.0 ports, 1x proprietary 'Aux' port (for PS Camera), 1x HDMI port, 1x Toslink port

Accessories!
What would a new console be without new accessories?

Dualshock 4
The first truly significant redesign of the Dualshock since its debut 16 years ago, the Dualshock 4 includes several refinements over its predecessors:
  • Much-improved L2/R2 triggers (FINALLY)
  • Improved ergonomics (larger 'horns', analog sticks no longer convex)
  • Integrated, clickable touchpad
  • 'Light bar' on back of controller to identify players and detect location (similar to Move controllers)
  • 'Start' and 'Select' are no more! Their functionality has been integrated into the new 'Options' button
  • New 'Share' button used for sharing recorded gameplay to social media (details below)
  • Headphone/microphone jack on bottom of controller (supports voice chat OR full game audio)
  • Integrated speaker (similar to Wiimote)

Playstation Camera
Originally rumored to be a pack-in, the optional Playstation Camera provides support for social features such as video chatting and inserting your face into game streams, motion-based gaming features using the DS4 and Move controllers, and Kinect-style voice recognition features.

Other Accessories
  • Bluetooth headsets are currently not supported
  • USB headsets are supported (with firmware 1.5)
  • Dualshock 3/Sixaxis controllers are not supported
  • Move controllers are supported (with Playstation Camera)
  • Bluetooth and USB keyboards are supported. Mice of either flavor currently aren't supported.
  • PS3 Media remotes are not supported :argh:

User Interface

The PS3's venerable (if spartan) XMB has been refined and updated for the PS4. Now dubbed the 'Playstation Dynamic Menu', the new UI aims to maintain simplicity while including more useful and eye-catching content for the user.
Digital Foundry's take:

Richard Leadbetter posted:

The Dynamic Menu is actually pretty neat. A central "bar" shows your content, gives access to the web browser and Sony's audio visual services and allows you to access your library of PlayStation content. Above the bar, you'll find utilitarian aspects - settings, party configuration, friends lists, messages, trophies, notifications and the PlayStation Store. Beneath the bar, you interact with your games and services in a little more depth - an overview of games plus an outline of recent activities appears, while media functions offer a customised series of suggestions of material you may - or may not - want to watch. We also suspect that it's here that the more social elements of the interface are integrated. As none of our friends own PlayStation 4 yet, this is something we couldn't test in-depth.

Major Features
The PS4 has several headline features, detailed below:

PS Vita Remote Play
Long promised since the early days of the PSP and PS3 launches, remote play is finally delivering. Using Gaikai streaming technology, the PS4 compresses and streams video through your wireless LAN to your Vita (remote play over WAN currently not recommended), with little in the way of lag or compression (provided your Wifi signal is decent). Sony 'expects' most games to support the feature, with notable exceptions being games that require the camera or move controllers, etc. Notably, the streaming technology is built into the PS4 and Vita themselves and doesn't consume additional resources, so the only onus on developers is to reassign controls for the Vita's slightly altered control scheme (and various developers have described the process as rather easy and quick).

The Vita's 'PS4 Link' app (installed with Vita firmware 3.0) will also allow the device to function as a second screen for the PS4, similar to the Wii U gamepad.

Also of note, this feature will be supported by the Vita TV, meaning the set top box can act as a PS4 extender to TVs in other rooms.

Gameplay Sharing
The PS4 has been designed to function as a permanent 'gaming DVR', in that it records gameplay as you play that can later be edited and posted to social media* by the user.
*At launch, only Facebook. Sony is mum on Youtube support.

Notably, Sony has said that developers can disable certain portions of their games from being recorded (e.g., spoilerific endgame cutscenes), so you technically can't record EVERYTHING in a game. At present not enough games are out to determine how comprehensive this feature is.

The PS4 can also livestream gameplay to Twitch and Ustream, though at launch these sites will not archive your videos. If you have a Playstation Camera, you can also include a small superimposed video of your face for reaction shots while playing.

Play-As-You-Download
Day 1 Digital releases are a big deal now for Sony, but in realizing that many (or most!) next-gen games will be weighing in at a whopping 50+ GB, it was imperative that users not have to wait for the entire download to finish before playing. Now, the game will download a determined necessary amount to start gameplay, at which point you can begin playing while the download finishes in the background. Some games also allow you to choose which portion of the game you want to start playing first (e.g., single player or multiplayer).

This functionality also applies to disc-based games - after a minimal install period, you can start playing the game and the console will cache (install) the rest of the content in the background.

Playstation App for Phones/Tablets
Basically Sony's version of Smartglass, this app for iOS and Android devices gives you access to your friends list, What's New stream, trophies, and PSN store. The app also supports 'connect to PS4' functionality to provide second-screen experiences, though how this will be utilized is yet to be seen.

:siren: FAQ :siren:

What's this about busted PS4s?!
Like any major consumer electronics launch, there are going to be some bad apples in the millions of devices shipped. That said, even sites like Kotaku have had issues, with the culprit seeming to be the HDMI port. Details are scarce but Sony is 'looking into' the matter. In any case, all PS4s are covered with a year warranty so you'll be taken care of.
If you ARE having issues:

quote:

If your console light turns white (and doesn't get stuck at pulsating blue), it could be the HDMI cable or connection issue. Fix with a pin (see Kotaku's article).

If it stays blue and pulsates, try safe mode (turn off system completely, then hold down power for 10 sec and wait till you hear beeps). From here Sony can help you troubleshoot if you wanted to call in. If it wont even boot to safe mode, it's bricked. You can try to troubleshoot on your own if you're adventurous:
1. Hold down power button until the unit powers off and the light goes out. This took about 10 seconds.
2. From power off, enter Safe Mode by holding down the power button until you hear beeps. Release power button after the second beep. The Safe Mode menu will appear with a list of options.
3. Select Option 4 to restore PS4 to factory defaults. Once it's done, the system will restart.
4. In our case, after the reboot, the PS4 automatically entered Safe Mode. This time, they had us select Option 6 to Initialize the PS4. Note that by doing this, you will lose profiles and settings so just be aware that you are basically starting over. Once it's done, the system will restart.
5. When the PS4 comes back up, it will take you through the initial setup again as if it's being booted for the first time.

If you can't get the PS4 to boot into safe mode, it's not your HDMI port. it's an internal issue and you'll have to send it to Sony to be fixed.

Alternatively, you may be able to bring it in to a Sony Store and exchange it on the spot.
Sony Support line: 1-800-345-SONY

Can I replace the HDD? If so, what sizes are supported?
Yes! Like PS3, the PS4's HDD is user-replaceable, which is handy since next-gen games will probably fill up that 500 GB fast. The PS4 will support any 2.5", 9.5 mm (laptop-sized) HDD of a minimum capacity of 160 GB. Currently drives top out at 1.5 TB, though 2 TB drives are on the horizon. SSDs are supported, though again, the minimum storage size is 160 GB, so don't hold hope of slapping your spare 128 GB drive in there.
Here's how to do the deed!

Can I use the Dualshock 4 on my PC? What about with my PS3?
Yes and yes (through USB connection), although functionality is limited in both cases. On PC, the DS4 appears as a generic Directinput controller and doesn't support Xinput (like a 360 controller), so some tweaking is necessary - many goons have had success with x360ce. On PS3, the DS4 is functional in most games, though not all.
Feeling adventurous? Help goon Monastery Dweller with getting proper DS4 support on PC!

Do I have to connect my PS4 online?
Nope! The PS4 was designed to never require an internet connection. That said, by not going online you obviously miss out on all the benefits of services like PSN, multiplayer functionality, media streaming and so on. Note that enabling DVD and Blu-ray playback requires updating your console to 1.5 firmware (which can be installed via USB drive in safe mode) and a one-time connection online, but afterward you can watch all disc content offline.

Can I change my PSN name? I was young and stupid once, now I'm not
Nope. :( You're stuck with whatever you originally chose. The new PSN will allow you to display your real name (if you choose), but besides that your only option is to create a whole new PSN account.

Will there be colored Dualshock 4s?
Yes, though release date in North America is yet to be determined. Current variations are 'wave blue' and 'magma red':

Can I upload to Youtube? Can I copy saved videos to my PC?
Currently, no and no. Sony has said copying videos to PC will be supported in a later update, Youtube sharing is a big unknown but seems likely.

My monitor isn't HDCP compliant. What do I do?
At the moment, your only real option is a third party HDCP stripper. Sony has said they'll eventually remove the HDCP requirement but haven't given a timetable for doing so.

Is there any backwards compatibility?
At the moment, no - not even for PSone titles, making this the only Playstation (besides the first, obviously) to lack any form of backward compatibility. Sony has indicated they'll use Gaikai streaming as an eventual solution starting sometime in 2014, but details are scarce. They also haven't said if they have any eventual plans for local emulation.

Can I plug headphones into my Dualshock 4 for game audio, and if so, how?
Yes! Any 1/8" set of headphones will work (though you'll need a pair with an integrated mic if you want to use chat as well). Hold the PS button, then select 'manage devices'. Note that this will also mute audio going to your TV/receiver.

What's the difference in 'standby' and fully powering down?
Standby is essentially a low-power mode that allows the PS4 to perform background functions while not being fully powered. In this mode, it can charge connected controllers, download and install system updates, and also be turned on by other devices (e.g., Vita remote play) - however, the PS4 still draws about 10 watts, which is a low but not insignificant amount. Fully powering down the console doesn't give any of this functionality but it will draw zero power, and this option also allows you to safely unplug and move the PS4 when needed.

For remote play, what does the 'connect directly' option do?
When selected, the PS4 itself will create a wifi connection directly with your PS Vita and skip your wireless router entirely. If you're a short range from your PS4 (e.g., in the same room or an adjoining room) this is generally the best option, but the range is also shorter. When disabled, your PS4 will relay its stream through your router and then to your Vita, which can give longer range but adds an extra step to the connection, possibly introducing additional input lag. Connecting your PS4 to your router with ethernet cable may aid in reducing said lag.

Is voice chat always enabled with the camera? If so, how do you disable it?
Yes, the camera's microphone can be used for voice chat, but for some reason Sony made it so that it's always on when the camera is plugged in, with no option to disable the mic. Currently the only solutions to muting yourself are to plug a headset into the controller, or create a party consisting only of yourself. Note - firmware 1.60 now allows you to mute the camera.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
:siren: Games! :siren:

Notable retail launch titles (click images to go to relevant threads, when they exist):

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Basically a pirate simulator set in the AssCreed universe, also rights much of AC3's wrongs.

Battlefield 4
With the PS4, Battlefield on console is now at (near) parity with the PC version. Unparalleled multiplayer mayhem, provided you can make it through the crashes.

CoD: Dog Ghosts
It's CoD. If you don't know what that is by now, you probably aren't buying a PS4.

Fifa 14
Fifa, with slightly prettier graphics and enhanced AI.

Killzone: Shadow Fall
Hands-down the best-looking launch title, Shadow Fall is set 30 years after the events of the original Killzone trilogy.

Knack
Family-friendly platformer that no one would care about if it weren't helmed by Mark Cerny. Based on review scores, that didn't help much.

Madden 25
Madden, with slightly prettier graphics and enhanced AI.

NBA 2K14
If watching this doesn't make you at least a little excited, you probably don't give a poo poo about basketball.

Need For Speed: Rivals
The best launch racing game by default, after DriveClub was delayed.

Notable upcoming titles

Destiny
Bungie's first post-Halo title, Destiny is an online, massively multiplayer co-op shooter (think Borderlands with a persistent online world and more players).

Dragon Age III: Inquisition
This has to be better than Dragon Age 2, right...?

DriveClub

Infamous: Second Son
Ever wanted to tear through Seattle as a grungy dude with super powers?

Metal Gear Solid V
Split into two parts, with Ground Zeroes releasing first as a smaller 'prologue', and full game The Phantom Pain releasing later, this is the first time Metal Gear has incorporated open-world gameplay. Also Kiefer Sutherland is now voicing Snake. Sorry, David Hayter. :smith:

The Order: 1886
Taking place in a steampunk-inspired alternate 19th century London, this could be a by-the-numbers cover shooter but looks very promising.

Tom Clancy's The Division
Like Destiny, this is an open-world, massively multiplayer co-op shooter set in New York City after a deadly viral outbreak.

Watch Dogs
This was the big launch title a lot of people were really looking forward to, myself included. Delayed until Spring 2014 for polishing, which is probably a good thing, all things considered. You play as Aiden Pearce, a lone wolf hacker out for retribution in near-future Chicago.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
The Witcher 2 was a treat for RPG fans in the previous generation, matching a complex, branching story with a remarkably realized world. The Witcher 3 promises to return all these elements and incorporate them in a huge open world - think Skyrim with a story and characters you actually care about.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 24, 2014

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Greatness is here.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Excellent OP! Ready to get my hands on this beast.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

RagnarokAngel posted:

Greatness is here.

Indeed. :)

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 16, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

One of my friends was telling me about how he was playing Killzone Shadow Fall on his Vita this morning, and how smooth and lag free the experience was. Remote Play has ended up being way better then we expected.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.
Yay. Can't wait to pick up my system today. Hopefully my USB headset works with it.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Very much enjoying it so far. UI is clean and efficient, games look suuuper pretty and plenty of free games from PSN+

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

I'm going to hug my UPS man when he shows up today.

Vallens
Jan 27, 2004

Get back in line you drunken fool!
Stream going back up.

http://www.twitch.tv/vallens

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Thanks everyone, obviously this is a work in progress so I'll be updating a bunch over the next few days. Let me know if there are any glaring omissions.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
So the mono buds that came with the system don't work. Luckily it isn't the controller as my stereo headphones work perfect with it. Does anyone know if it is even worth talking to Sony about and where exactly to contact? And in the mean time anyone got any recommendations on comfortable mono+mic buds on monoprice?

Edit: Wow they are working again somehow? Okay. Still would like a recommendation on a better one. These things are the size of gauges for stretching ears.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 15, 2013

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
USB headsets are plug and play compatible with the PS4. Definitely only something for class-compliant hardware, which means I can plug a USB mixer in for better mic quality + fooling around.

From: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 15, 2013

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
How is NFS went to 4 places today all gone :smith:

edis ps4 that is

Winkie01 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 15, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Space Racist posted:

Thanks everyone, obviously this is a work in progress so I'll be updating a bunch over the next few days. Let me know if there's any glaring omissions.

You confused TB with GB in the HDD section.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Thanks for not using any of the funny title suggestions.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Solid OP, nice work.

A couple of issues I ran into during setup:

1) While setting up my PSN account for the first time it hung while trying to connect and wouldn't respond to any button presses. Powering the PS4 down (hold the power button for 7 seconds) and then trying again worked fine.

2) After downloading the firmware update it got stuck on "Preparing to Install" for ~5 minutes, so I just cancelled it and updated via USB. It worked without a hitch that way.

Now I'm adding tons of goons to my friends list and dang this is gonna take a while :stare:

Winkie01 posted:

How is NFS went to 4 places today all gone :smith:

First impressions I've read said it was fun. I'll probably grab it after I get a few hours in with the first few games I bought.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

One of my friends was telling me about how he was playing Killzone Shadow Fall on his Vita this morning, and how smooth and lag free the experience was. Remote Play has ended up being way better then we expected.

This is my favorite new feature (well old feature that will actually be supported for a change)

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
I'm excited! This is my first launch-day system. I guess I'll keep playing Arkham Origins until it shows up.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
14 days to go, thank you for beta testing! :v:

edit: I'll pm you my list of multiplatform games thread

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 15, 2013

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Hoping to pick one up this holiday. Looks great.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Anyone playing an EA game unable to connect to EA's servers? I'm trying to on FIFA and no dice; although I'm on PSN just fine

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Can I tell before I put an HDMI cable in whether I have a bad port? Still waiting for my console.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
#pray4ukgoons :qq:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Can I tell before I put an HDMI cable in whether I have a bad port? Still waiting for my console.

Isn't it not so much it being a bad port but there being a piece of metal inside of the port that is sticking out of place? You could just push it back into place if that happens.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The issue is that a metal part sticks up from its shielding and blocks entry.
A proper looking HDMI port on a PS4: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation+4+Teardown/19493#s54770

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hardware is solid, controller is still a little small but better than the ps3, mine was covered in snot in the box. I keep accidentally hitting the touchpad which brings up the map but doesn't get rid of the map in asscreed.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

How amazing does Angry Birds look on it?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Saw a Fed Ex truck pull up outside and got all excited until I remembered Amazon shipped via UPS. The waiting is always the hardest part of buying these things online. Last year my Wii U didn't show up until the end of the day.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Nice OP! Should be putting my hands on my PS4 in about an hour or so, and I can't wait. I'm ready.

If any goons want to add me for Killzone, AC4, or Knack stuff, I'm NotECEC. I'll probably be picking up NFS soon as well.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown
Looking forward to seeing how well the Vita remote play actually works now that the system is in the wild.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
I've played NSF for about 2 hrs. I love being a cop, majority all drive are racers, and if you have a voice chatter, they HATE being busted from an online player.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Gonna start adding a bunch of you goons from the spreadsheet now, I'll be playing BF4 mostly all day after 2PM EST

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm logged into my account but PS store but it's not recognizing that I have PS+ It's just telling to buy + Is this happening for anyone .

Also how do I manage/view game update progress?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
That's a common problem, you didn't lose plus. Just log out and log back in.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Been playing Resogun remotely with my Vita. My god, so amazing.

The future is here.

Greatness has arrived.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Repostin'

Can someone check the audio settings and see what formats it supports over optical or already running on one of those TOSLINK-RCA things.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
Anybody try out the Pulse headset yet?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

gameday posted:

Anybody try out the Pulse headset yet?

Pulse Elite works if you plug it into the DS4 with the 3.5mm stereo jack.

Pulse Elite doesn't work wirelessly. The 7.1 emulated surround sound and other ps3 only features don't work. The mute button also doesn't work.

Pulse regular the jury is still out on but I'm going to guess it won't work since it's wireless usb. I'll find out tonight when I bring my ps4 home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I was trying out the twitch streaming earlier and it worked pretty well! I was playing on my TV and watching on my monitor and the bitrate didn't crap out.

I wanted to get a new avatar on the PSN store but the PS4 version doesn't have avatars apparently. PS3 ones carry over so I guess I gotta go use that old thing :v:

• Locked thread