Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yeah, sell him. It's just a minifigure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ira Glass Jaw
Oct 21, 2010

I found a Mr. Gold as well and decided to just keep it because I will never get that lucky again. I also put it together inside the bag because why the hell not. I would say keep it because clearly you collect minifigures so why sell the rarest coolest part of your collection?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Well of course I'm selling him. I meant should I do it now or later. Im thinking now's better.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Are they really going for $400 on eBay. You could buy 2 modulars for that much money for gently caress's sake.

Look at these vehicles. I quite fancy them.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I'm really feeling that tow truck. When do those drop?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Has Lego ever done more classic looking vehicles? Ones that wouldn't look out of place with the modulars? Or are there some good moc pages?

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.
Some of the cars in the Creator theme come with instructions for open wheel roadsters.

Edit: Anyone have tips for painting bricks? I have a project going and it requires a bit of graffiti style writing to get it right. My wife suggested white out or a white out pen but I'm not sure if that will adhere.

I really don't want to sand them and would prefer it if the paint was removable by some method.

FingersMaloy fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 19, 2013

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

RodShaft posted:

Well of course I'm selling him. I meant should I do it now or later. Im thinking now's better.

Now is better, rumor has it they're planning on putting him in future runs because they realized how bad they hosed up making something that super exclusive that it made people nuts for that wave.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

FingersMaloy posted:

Some of the cars in the Creator theme come with instructions for open wheel roadsters.

Edit: Anyone have tips for painting bricks? I have a project going and it requires a bit of graffiti style writing to get it right. My wife suggested white out or a white out pen but I'm not sure if that will adhere.

I really don't want to sand them and would prefer it if the paint was removable by some method.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

As for painting, soak the bricks in warm soapy water for a few hours to get the protective coating off. Then acrylic paints will adhere nicely. If you want it to be more permanent you can apply clear coat over the top, if not just leave it as it is and your can scrub it off later (assuming you're not painting something with lots of nooks and crevices). Brasso will remove any prints on bricks but can scratch the piece is you're not super careful and patient.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FingersMaloy posted:

I have a black door my younger self painted with white-out because I needed a white door for a set. It certainly adheres well because 20 years later it's a dirty lovely looking white door.

Emphasis on lovely.. the white out didn't go on smooth so it looks like wrinkled leather now. Sun yellowed dingy leather.

I've always meant to try and clean it off, but I've never needed the door since so I didn't get around to it. Now I just feel guilty when I'm pawing through my black pieces and see it.

Not sure I could remove it at this point anyways, not without destroying the plastic.

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.

xzzy posted:

I have a black door my younger self painted with white-out because I needed a white door for a set. It certainly adheres well because 20 years later it's a dirty lovely looking white door.

Emphasis on lovely.. the white out didn't go on smooth so it looks like wrinkled leather now. Sun yellowed dingy leather.

I've always meant to try and clean it off, but I've never needed the door since so I didn't get around to it. Now I just feel guilty when I'm pawing through my black pieces and see it.

Not sure I could remove it at this point anyways, not without destroying the plastic.

Cool. I want it to look rough so I'm going to try this. I'll probably remove it after a couple weeks anyways.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Draw it on with sharpie. Then, when you want to take it off, just get some rubbing alcohol and wipe it off.

If it's on white, it may stain and have a faint outline once you take it off.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Ausgoons: Clickfrenzy has some links to lego on sale, including the Sydney Opera House Architecture kit for $50, down from $65

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

This would go great with the blue/orange creator set my son has.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Ka0 posted:

Are they really going for $400 on eBay.

I saw one at £460 yesterday with time to go. Multiply by about 1.5 for the dollar amount.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Just FYI, but Toys R Us is clearing some Lego shelf space; they have a variety of things for 25-50% off, usually one or two in a theme. Sand Skiff and Hoth Battle in SW were both 50% off (key figs: Boba Fett, Lando in disguise, Luke, Luke in Snowspeeder gear, tauntaun), the Lifter Tow Truck, Tractor, and Jet Plane (great source of red beams and red curved panels) technic sets were all 50% off, the eagle jet thing from Chima was 50% off, most of the Lone Ranger line was 50% off. Two mid-sized Castle sets were 50% off and the 4-minifig battlepack was only $10. Some Friends sets were just $x off.
Plus if you spend $20, you get a free Christmas Tree polybag (the $4 MSRP one).

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Just watch out for it being 50% off of TRU inflated prices. So more like 33% off proper retail. Which is still a good deal.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The Chima Eagle Jet thing is pretty cool as well. I found one at Goodwill for :10bux: and it's a fun build. Don't know if I'd pay much more for it though.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Finished the Lego Movie poster New Classic Space ship. I really like how it turned out. It's swooshable and the colors look nice. I'm still not happy with the rocket pods, I tried a couple different methods and just settled with using a technic axle through the rocket and bricks. It works, it's just not great. Used wings stacked on wings for the bottom and think it came out good. The trans yellow pieces on the bottom front bend down to form landing gear. The ship came in at only 170 pieces so small compared to today's sets.

I kinda want Lego to make this set to see how close/different my techniques are(plus that trans yellow cockpit hatch). But it's also neat to have built a ship that Lego designed but not produced yet.

Oh, and I lucked out on ordering a blue classic spaceman torso off of bricklink. He has great gold as can be seen from the first picture.

I have a snub fighter using the same design ideas in LLD that I will probably build. It's only 116 pieces including minifigure and I have a lot of the pieces already.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's one sweet looking ship. Now you have to build set 6890 and put them on a shelf next to each other. :v:

If Lego sells that set I'm gonna buy a dozen of them just for the canopy.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
Time for another LUG endorsement! I got all this last Saturday; we drafted 6 of the Cragger Command ships, and I made a stop at the lego store as well. The Kraang Lab Escapes were $5 each at a thrift store:

Thanks to that, Brick Daddy has new recruits for his "Den of Debauchery Variety Buffet!"

And the Saturday before that, I got 12 pounds of (nearly) new lego for free!

Join your local LUG today!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Got my replacement SHEILD piece from the Back to the Future set.

The replacement one also says SHEILD.

It's something.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'll take all those blue and dark grey wings! :v:

My mission the past month has been to beef up my selection of blue.. most of the stuff I have is from the 80's which is a lot of bricks and plates with a smattering of clips and smooth tiles. The first couple generations of Star Wars sets have provided an excellent selection of light grey pieces suitable for greebling, and my options in blue haven't kept up.

Like I bought a couple of set 31000 the other day just because it had some neat detail pieces and it's impulse buy territory. :v:

It's good they didn't have any of 6913 in or I might have gotten in trouble with the wife.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Cloks posted:

It's something.

That's pretty hilarious.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

ChesterJT posted:

That's pretty hilarious.

Apparently Lego put out the message about the spelling correction and didn't advise any of the customer service reps, so they have just been sending out straight replacement pieces from the still faulty batch.

I had the same issue despite double checking with the rep that he was sending out the correctly spelled piece.

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.
I built a Lego DeLorean...

...but Jacket doesn't drive a time machine.

Because of my poor photography/lighting skills it's hard to tell what I did to the rear, but it's mostly smooth, black plates and those small, smooth triangle pieces. I don't have the pieces to build louvers but I like how it turned out. A white out pen turned out to be the perfect tool to get the graffiti right.

I flirted with a couple of Chima heads before I decided that Crawley makes the most disturbing Jones (Furty and Wakz were also considerations). I got most of the BTTF stuff off the car except the dashboard which still reads "1958 Destination Time." There are speedometers on the local pick-a-brick wall so I'll grab one the when I fill up my holiday box.

Also, I just realized today that the City Fire Motorcycle would be great for Helmet's bike. I'm going to have to check for the right minifig parts.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

FingersMaloy posted:

Because of my poor photography/lighting skills it's hard to tell what I did to the rear, but it's mostly smooth, black plates and those small, smooth triangle pieces. I don't have the pieces to build louvers but I like how it turned out. A white out pen turned out to be the perfect tool to get the graffiti right.

I flirted with a couple of Chima heads before I decided that Crawley makes the most disturbing Jones (Furty and Wakz were also considerations). I got most of the BTTF stuff off the car except the dashboard which still reads "1958 Destination Time." There are speedometers on the local pick-a-brick wall so I'll grab one the when I fill up my holiday box.

Also, I just realized today that the City Fire Motorcycle would be great for Helmet's bike. I'm going to have to check for the right minifig parts.

I am in love with this so much.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Speaking of the DeLorean, is keeping one in box a worthwhile investment? They're fairly plentiful on Amazon/Lego.com, and anyone who really wants one can easily pick it up.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

FingersMaloy posted:

This is fabulous.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I bought a box of Lego from a charity shop for £6 today. I could see bits of a shuttle when I bought it, and it's just twigged what all the rest of it is, now that I've looked at it all. It's most of (if not all) of 10231 Shuttle Expedition. :stare:

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Lucky you, that's an awesome set.

Crop Top Skank
Apr 4, 2007

InfinEight posted:

I decided to try going to my local LUG back in September and one of the guys happened to be selling off his entire ginormous collection via silent auction. I didn't have much money to spend, but I did manage to grab an unopened Lunar Lander set, which is usually priced in the hundreds on eBay and Bricklink.

That was pretty cool, but then I saw some kid (who I think was there with his mom) walking away with a bin full of monorail parts. Probably a good thing I hadn't noticed it beforehand actually, or else I might have risked going broke trying to win it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Red posted:

Speaking of the DeLorean, is keeping one in box a worthwhile investment? They're fairly plentiful on Amazon/Lego.com, and anyone who really wants one can easily pick it up.

Generally, currently-produced sets aren't that difficult to find on amazon and such. It's when they've been out of production for a year or two that it really starts to show whether they're actually worth a lot or not.

Crop Top Skank
Apr 4, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Generally, currently-produced sets aren't that difficult to find on amazon and such. It's when they've been out of production for a year or two that it really starts to show whether they're actually worth a lot or not.

The unique elements in that set are already going for a pretty penny, so my guess is it will be a big collector's item once it's discontinued.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Cloks posted:

It's something.

I came to mention this too, I got a replacement brick that's still misspelled too. Wonder how long I should wait before trying again lol.

Corn Glizzy fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 22, 2013

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Welp, I'm doing pretty good. I got to step 38 before something was missing, and I know I have a bunch of them, but it's nearly 2:30am, so naw. I'll pick this up tomorrow. :)

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

InfinEight posted:

I tried. They weren't a good fit for me. They talk way too much about monetizing the hobby.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

djfooboo posted:

I tried. They weren't a good fit for me. They talk way too much about monetizing the hobby.

That's too bad, maybe you could check out http://www.virtualug.org/ ? I dunno what they're like but you might find a better fit with them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

InfinEight posted:

That's too bad, maybe you could check out http://www.virtualug.org/ ? I dunno what they're like but you might find a better fit with them.

Their Wizard of Oz build at brickworld was loving ridiculous, that's about all I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Well, that was £6 well spent. It was missing 5 parts, all of which are easily replaceable. There's a minifig missing too, but he's not an astronaut.