Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
He's doing exactly what he did when he WAS champion. He was basically doing this exact thing when you first meet him in Black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

HulkaMatt posted:

That was one of the best battles I've read since you started doing these. Bravo.

This. When I first saw the picture of Yawni doodling in the sand I was like "WTF?" and then it clicked into place. :)
Truly hilarious including the use of healing items.

Riolu is pretty useless at this Gym. I used him, he can only counter once (if you're Lucky) before needing to heal.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

It's too bad the obedience level caps are always so lenient, I'd love for every gym battle to be like this :allears:

And you all are giving Alder too little credit. He has to get material for the second edition of his book somehow. :colbert:

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Super Jay Mann posted:

It's too bad the obedience level caps are always so lenient, I'd love for every gym battle to be like this :allears:

And you all are giving Alder too little credit. He has to get material for the second edition of his book somehow. :colbert:

I like to imagine that he was watching this last battle in secret.

"Chapter 7: How not to Hydrate your Pokemon"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Chorocojo posted:

He's doing exactly what he did when he WAS champion. He was basically doing this exact thing when you first meet him in Black.

Yeah, I guess so. It just seems like he's on your rear end so much more, probably because they're cramming in all this stuff early on.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, I guess so. It just seems like he's on your rear end so much more, probably because they're cramming in all this stuff early on.

He just has more free time after he fixed Cheren.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do traded pokemon obey you regardless of level/badges if you max out their friendship?

Bamboomancer
Oct 9, 2007
A druid of an "Asian" persuasion

Internet Kraken posted:

Do traded pokemon obey you regardless of level/badges if you max out their friendship?

No. It's an independent mechanic from friendship. It's also independent from Pokemon-Amie in X/Y, so you can get some very passive aggressive behavior from pokemon there.

McGwee
May 1, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

No badges and levels are all that decide that. Friendship or the lack of it only effects return and fustration respectively and evolves some Pokemon, like Riolu.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Darth TNT posted:

Riolu is pretty useless at this Gym. I used him, he can only counter once (if you're Lucky) before needing to heal.
They also bumped up the level it learns Force Palm from 11 in BW to 15 in BW2, so if you had the patience to grind a proper fighting move you'd be overleveled enough to win anyway.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Alder is just waiting for a Gym to open up. It worked for Blue in Gold/Silver, so why not?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Strangely enough, I think I enjoyed the early goings of Black 2, before being burned out by the end. I...think I beat the Elite Four? I genuinely don't remember, and that's depressing me all of a sudden.

Looking forward to this, since you always manage to put together nifty teams for your LPs.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

ddegenha posted:

Makes a certain amount of sense if you have somebody who really took the advice about a fighting type to heart. They should also have a basic flying attack at that level, which means they can hit a weakness. It's still that whole idea of being able to throw off your entire strategy that was referenced above, it's just that most people come into the first gym a bit overleveled.

Its only attacking move is Quick Attack, so really if someone took the fighting stuff to heart the Pidove will only really be a minor inconvenience rather than a team wrecker.

Of course, if someone were to obsessively catch every Pokemon they can, they would have both Riolu and Mareep at this point, and possibly have both on their team since there aren't too many options available right now.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Pyroi posted:

Alder is just waiting for a Gym to open up. It worked for Blue in Gold/Silver, so why not?

Except someone says that Alder was initially offered the job of gym leader at Aspertia and he turned it down

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I think Cheren earns points for being the second rival ever to turn Gym Leader, even if it is the first one. At least he looks male now.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

LeafyOrb posted:

I think Cheren earns points for being the second rival ever to turn Gym Leader, even if it is the first one. At least he looks male now.

I like that he basically confirms that Gym Leaders really are much stronger than they seem. They just hold back and use weak teams of one type (well, mostly) so rookie trainers can have a chance against them.

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013

Geostomp posted:

I like that he basically confirms that Gym Leaders really are much stronger than they seem. They just hold back and use weak teams of one type (well, mostly) so rookie trainers can have a chance against them.

Don't most of the games let you refight gym leaders with powered up teams later on?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Livewire42 posted:

Don't most of the games let you refight gym leaders with powered up teams later on?
Only in Sinnoh/Unova/X&Y games. HG/SS allows you to fight a stronger version of the Elite 4 teams in the post game (since they were locked to Gen 1/Gen 2 monsters the first time through) as part of the new content for the re-release.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Livewire42 posted:

Pokemon: Origins flat out states that gym leaders scale their Pokemon based on the number of badges you have.

People should watch it, it's pretty good horrifying charmander screams not withstanding.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

AradoBalanga posted:

Only in Sinnoh/Unova/X&Y games. HG/SS allows you to fight a stronger version of the Elite 4 teams in the post game (since they were locked to Gen 1/Gen 2 monsters the first time through) as part of the new content for the re-release.

You can re-fight HG/SS gym leaders, but only in a really roundabout and specific way. You need to phone them up, but to do that you need their numbers which can only be found in arbitrary and specific ways depending on the day of the week.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

You can re-fight HG/SS gym leaders, but only in a really roundabout and specific way. You need to phone them up, but to do that you need their numbers which can only be found in arbitrary and specific ways depending on the day of the week.
Riiight, I forgot the phone system. Mostly because Joey and his Rattata would never SHUT UP. :argh:

Seraphroy
Jun 24, 2010

Jesus shit that Steelix is terrifying.

AradoBalanga posted:

Riiight, I forgot the phone system. Mostly because Joey and his Rattata would never SHUT UP. :argh:

To be fair, it was a pretty bitchin' Rattata.

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

It was in the top percentage of Rattatas, you're just jealous. :colbert:

Livewire42 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 22, 2013

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Of course, the implication of the medal guy is that he's either personally spying on you and racing to the pokemon center ahead of you, or that medal case has all kinds of surveillance equipment in it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Worst thing about the medal guy is he doesn't give you all your medals at once, he hands them over one at a time. So if you accumulated a ton of medals before talking to him again, he will take like 5 minutes to give you them all.

He doesn't lose his enthusiasm for doing it though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Well of course, he's got all these drat medals, he's got to get rid of 'em! Otherwise how will he get his Achievement Giver achievement?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

IIRC you could in Emerald too, but not all the time, and not all the Gym Leaders powered up the same amount. It could be helpful for grinding new Pokemon. Like in HG/SS, you could only arrange matches with your phone, so it was pretty inconvenient.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

pospysyl posted:

IIRC you could in Emerald too, but not all the time, and not all the Gym Leaders powered up the same amount. It could be helpful for grinding new Pokemon. Like in HG/SS, you could only arrange matches with your phone, so it was pretty inconvenient.

Eventually they all got fully powered teams of six in Emerald but you had to rebattle each of them multiple times before it would happen.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

Internet Kraken posted:

Worst thing about the medal guy is he doesn't give you all your medals at once, he hands them over one at a time. So if you accumulated a ton of medals before talking to him again, he will take like 5 minutes to give you them all.

Didn't talk to him until post game... Big mistake. I still like the feature though and even got one of my achievement obsessed friends to play this.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

LeafyOrb posted:

Pokemon: Origins flat out states that gym leaders scale their Pokemon based on the number of badges you have.

spoilers

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Either this was posted from a phone, or a Markov chain generator has infiltrated the forums.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 23, 2013

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I didn't think much of Maractus until I saw her punch out dragons in the most adorable way. Now she's one of my favorite grass types. Jawnie's shaping up to be adorable too. :3:

As for the gym leaders, I've always been behind the idea that they chose their Pokemon based on how many badges you had. It'd be nice if you could battle them in any order and see their teams change depending on what badges you have at the time.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nihilarian posted:

I didn't think much of Maractus until I saw her punch out dragons in the most adorable way. Now she's one of my favorite grass types. Jawnie's shaping up to be adorable too. :3:

As for the gym leaders, I've always been behind the idea that they chose their Pokemon based on how many badges you had. It'd be nice if you could battle them in any order and see their teams change depending on what badges you have at the time.

But then GameFreak wouldn't be able to properly railroad you with HMs and "plot"! :downs:

Really, I don't think they'd be able to do something properly free-roaming like this on the DS or 3DS, and maybe not even on the Wii-U considering they've got to code animations for an increasingly absurd number of pokemon so by the time they're done with that they don't even want to make a game any more.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

KataraniSword posted:

But then GameFreak wouldn't be able to properly railroad you with HMs and "plot"! :downs:

Really, I don't think they'd be able to do something properly free-roaming like this on the DS or 3DS, and maybe not even on the Wii-U considering they've got to code animations for an increasingly absurd number of pokemon so by the time they're done with that they don't even want to make a game any more.

Cutting out the HM and Plot still leads wild pokemon pacing and trainer levels. Trainers would have to be level scaled and that means their exact moves and pokes are harder to design since they're in flux so it'd be harder to pin down how many trainers and what they have is appropriate for each stretch of the game. Same goes for Wild Pokemon and who shows up where and at what level. Generally speaking I'd much prefer a well paced linear pokemon game to some Open world Auto-Scaled bore.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Cutting out the HM and Plot still leads wild pokemon pacing and trainer levels. Trainers would have to be level scaled and that means their exact moves and pokes are harder to design since they're in flux so it'd be harder to pin down how many trainers and what they have is appropriate for each stretch of the game. Same goes for Wild Pokemon and who shows up where and at what level. Generally speaking I'd much prefer a well paced linear pokemon game to some Open world Auto-Scaled bore.

To be honest, I don't see why we can't follow the rails independent of the gyms, though. Maybe some players would be cool with leaving the gyms and the league to an "everything happens at the very end" rush. I don't know, maybe people (myself included) just expect too much out of a game about cartoon animal sports entertainment fighting.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

To be honest, I don't see why we can't follow the rails independent of the gyms, though. Maybe some players would be cool with leaving the gyms and the league to an "everything happens at the very end" rush. I don't know, maybe people (myself included) just expect too much out of a game about cartoon animal sports entertainment fighting.

Well I mean they could, but the Gyms kind of are used as both an XP boost (Much less of a problem in Gen 6) and as a sign post of how far you've come. It's a way of measuring your journey, and as that it's pretty okay and there's no real problem with it. I mean you're going to those towns anyway, if they don't just want to lock away 8 cities for post story poo poo, so why not have them be stops on the rail?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Well I mean they could, but the Gyms kind of are used as both an XP boost (Much less of a problem in Gen 6) and as a sign post of how far you've come. It's a way of measuring your journey, and as that it's pretty okay and there's no real problem with it. I mean you're going to those towns anyway, if they don't just want to lock away 8 cities for post story poo poo, so why not have them be stops on the rail?
What if I don't want to be the Champion at all. Maybe I just want to dress my Snorlax up in a top hat and become the very best Pokemon Coordinator.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

What if I don't want to be the Champion at all. Maybe I just want to dress my Snorlax up in a top hat and become the very best Pokemon Coordinator.

Then you've got wrong opinions.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

You also have to bear in mind that this is a game for kids, so the gyms make sure they can handle the upcoming plot battles and force them to learn type matchups.

I have enjoyed the few times they let you off the rails a little, like when DP let you pick whether to fight Maylene or Wake first & the Kanto games let you fight Sabrina, Koga, and Erika in any order(although they did railroad you towards certain cities first). But you're still fighting the gyms, and their levels will still be relatively close to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakuramei
Apr 6, 2010

Dreaming away...

McDragon posted:

Best bit of medals is when you ignore medal guy for a bit and then he gives you like fifty all at once. Well, I say all at once, what I mean is one after the other. It can take a while sometimes. Really liked the medal system in this. The milestone ones are nice to see how far you've been, and the more interesting ones are often quite fun to go after.

Yeah, I really love the Milestone medals and the... discovery/special medals by far. Those were where I really felt it shined. There were some medals though that really really bothered me however.

Hopefully there won't be too many instances of Jawnie lazing around now :P (Although, I enjoyed seeing all the drawings)

• Locked thread