Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Ocean Book posted:

Only if it was a government sponsored printing program :v:

With regards to buying book and not reading them, I think there is value to having a book just for the potential to have quick reference to it. Examples in my library are books like The Second Sex and Das Kapital, which are books that I haven't read cover to cover but are useful to have on hand when I want to see specific chapters from because I know an argument is well laid out there. I can see why people would want to have books from an ideologue they respect even if they don't read all of it right away.

This gives people who buy pundit books way too much credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
In full disclosure I would like to admit that I bought "Going Rogue" and haven't read it yet.

edit- I just hosed that up pretty good. I actually bought the Joe McGinnis book, "The Rogue: Searching for the Real Sarah Palin" and haven't read it yet. Not Palin's own piece of poo poo.

Listerine fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Nov 21, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Listerine posted:

It's even worse because the paper that is used for mass production of books today is not of a quality that it would last. All our modern books will end up falling apart and turning to dust in less than a century, in contrast to books from hundreds of years ago when paper wasn't mass produced.

This isn't true at all. Where did you even get this idea?

A lot of early paper was absolute trash, and has deteriorated to dust unless it lucked into being stored in absolutely favorable conditions, and many modern paper stocks will last far longer in worse storage conditions. And that's to say nothing of specific acid-free papers and archival papers, which are calculated to easily stand 500 years for common stocks, 1000 years for higher end stocks, and theoretically over 2000 years for high-end archival paper. Obviously we have no way of truly verifying these without simply waiting around.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I would like to say there are very few books I have ever purchased that I have not read, and those books are the ones I couldn't stand to finish.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I have a signed copy of Known and Unknown. Does that count?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Install Windows posted:

This isn't true at all. Where did you even get this idea?

A lot of early paper was absolute trash, and has deteriorated to dust unless it lucked into being stored in absolutely favorable conditions, and many modern paper stocks will last far longer in worse storage conditions. And that's to say nothing of specific acid-free papers and archival papers, which are calculated to easily stand 500 years for common stocks, 1000 years for higher end stocks, and theoretically over 2000 years for high-end archival paper. Obviously we have no way of truly verifying these without simply waiting around.

Honestly, I may be completely wrong, I heard this many years ago which has been reinforced by watching a lot of my commercial books yellow and become more brittle, over a period of 20 years. Extrapolating to another 60 or 80 years it made sense. If I'm wrong I'll readily admit it, but looking at some books that I know firsthand weren't preserved in absolutely favorable conditions and comparing to the decay I've seen in my own collection, it made sense.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
I haven't read my 1100 page Java Programming book, my HTML5/CSS3, JQuery, or PHP/MySQL books that I bought recently yet :P The Java book is for my programming class and the others I bought on an online deal.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Install Windows posted:

It's kinda telling that Books-A-Million is also now the second largest remaining US book seller. (Barnes & Noble being the largest and the only book chain that still has stores in all 50 states, BAM has them in 31)

The thing is, all bookstores I've seen are filled to the brim of conservative tell-you-what-to-think books. You can't walk 10 feet without a big rear end book with Coulter's face telling you liberals are terrorists who should executed, or O'Reilly saying he's smarter than you.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Young Orc
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/piers-morgan-to-bill-o-reilly-get-over-yourself-you-flaming-hypocrite

quote:

During a discussion about MSNBC commentator Martin Bashir's controversial comments on Sarah Palin, O'Reilly asserted that no host on Fox News would make such remarks. O'Reilly went further and said that no one on CNN would launch such an attack either, with the exception of "the guy in the 9 p.m. slot" who's "going to be fired soon."

kik2dagroin posted:

Here is a nice clip of Master Shake bemoaning Paul Ryan not returning his calls.

Is there a chance we get to a point where it isn't just Rush on AM that thinks he can change the course of the GOP? Can we have a time when Levin, Beck, and others all think they're the kingmaker and end up fighting eachother and the GOP at the same time?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Listerine posted:

Honestly, I may be completely wrong, I heard this many years ago which has been reinforced by watching a lot of my commercial books yellow and become more brittle, over a period of 20 years. Extrapolating to another 60 or 80 years it made sense. If I'm wrong I'll readily admit it, but looking at some books that I know firsthand weren't preserved in absolutely favorable conditions and comparing to the decay I've seen in my own collection, it made sense.

Remember that many of the ancient texts we have were literally found in caves in the desert so they probably had a more forgiving atmosphere than where you live.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Yay, scumfight. Is it possible for Morgan to carry all those who ever feuded with him into a wormhole to oblivion?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I just kind of wish he was at least a little less obvious about desperately wanting a twitter war for the publicity. I mean 3 tweets in less than half an hour saying the same thing without any reply?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Listerine posted:

Mass market paper backs aren't printed on the best stock, but even with them, the thing you have to worry about aging is the glue. Their covers will fall off long before the paper crumbles.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/11/21/colorado-man-informed-his-dog-has-successfully-signed-up-for-obamacare/

So through a mistake a guy in colorado's dog gets signed up for Obamacare. Here is the best quote from the whole article.

“It was pretty funny. Typical ObamaCare, that they would insure your dog by mistake,” Smith told KDVR.

Typical ObamaCare

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
A couple more stories about that knockout game thing filtered through the news and apparently Mike Gallagher is gearing up for the race war. He's spent the last few days screaming about how the news isn't talking about blacks assaulting whites when they're literally posting pictures of the assailants. But I guess that's not enough and CBS needs to specifically call out 'black thugs'.

I need to find a transcript because he's getting sooooooo close to just saying what he really thinks. I'm practically convinced they have him on tape delay just in case he slips over the line and starts dropping n-bombs

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Flaggy posted:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/11/21/colorado-man-informed-his-dog-has-successfully-signed-up-for-obamacare/

So through a mistake a guy in colorado's dog gets signed up for Obamacare. Here is the best quote from the whole article.

“It was pretty funny. Typical ObamaCare, that they would insure your dog by mistake,” Smith told KDVR.

Typical ObamaCare
Until I here otherwise I'm going to assume he put his security answer in the [your name] textfield. Typical dumbass.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

A couple more stories about that knockout game thing filtered through the news and apparently Mike Gallagher is gearing up for the race war. He's spent the last few days screaming about how the news isn't talking about blacks assaulting whites when they're literally posting pictures of the assailants. But I guess that's not enough and CBS needs to specifically call out 'black thugs'.

I need to find a transcript because he's getting sooooooo close to just saying what he really thinks. I'm practically convinced they have him on tape delay just in case he slips over the line and starts dropping n-bombs
I've been waiting for FOX and other right-wing outlets to start taking the more overt racial angle as it slowly pops up more and more on my facebook and other forums.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Good Citizen posted:

There's a story in the news about a "shocking new game" called "knockout" being played by "youths" in New Jersey. It's probably going to be great fuel for the "crazy email forwards" thread.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Young Orc

Dr Christmas posted:

There's a story in the news about a "shocking new game" called "knockout" being played by "youths" in New Jersey. It's probably going to be great fuel for the "crazy email forwards" thread.

Drudge has been waiting for this to get big for so long.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I was curious as to how many victims of the "Knockout" game there have been since there must be some reason for this story coming up again. Wasn't it a thing a couple years ago?

wikipedia posted:

Deaths attributed to knockout

September 10, 2013 (Hoboken, New Jersey): Three teenage boys are charged with the murder of 46-year-old Ralph Santiago.[2]

May 23, 2013 (Syracuse, New York): 51-year-old Michael Daniels dies a day after being attacked.[3] A 13-year-old and a 15-year-old have been arrested and charged with manslaughter.[4]

September 20, 2012 (St. Cloud, Minnesota): 20 year-old local college student Colton Ryan Gleason dies from injuries after being punched in the head by a 17 year-old local teenager.[5][6]

April 16, 2011 (St. Louis, Missouri): 72 year-old Hoang Nguyen is killed when punched in the head by an 18 year-old local teenager.[7][8] Nguyen's assailant was sentenced to 55 years in prison.[9]

1992 (Cambridge, Massachusetts): 21 year-old MIT student Yngve Raustein, of Norway, dies when he is punched in the face and then stabbed in the heart by local teenagers.[10]

Serious injuries attributed to knockout

October 4, 2012 (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania): 50-year-old high school teacher James Addlespurger was struck while walking past a group of teenagers in an alleyway in broad daylight. Addlespurger fell face first and his head struck a curb.[11]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knockout_%28violent_game%29

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I was curious as to how many victims of the "Knockout" game there have been since there must be some reason for this story coming up again. Wasn't it a thing a couple years ago?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knockout_%28violent_game%29

If you read the political cartoons thread then there was at least one example most people remember from a a little over a year ago!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Listerine posted:

During the 19th century and the first half of the 20th century, a lot of books were printed on essentially untreated wood pulp stock. As a result of this, due to some chemistry stuff people figured out, they were too acidic and broke down rather quickly. By 1950 or so we had figured out so-called acid-free paper that was initially only for important stuff, but by the 1990s it became standard to make paper that happened to be acid-free for nearly all purposes - about the only stuff that stays as "non durable" paper types these days are newspapers and magazines.

Essentially for your average mass market publisher, it's cheaper to use long lasting paper because chalk is a very cheap "filler" material, and if you want to take advantage of that you have to remove acidic stuff from your pulp. Otherwise the paper would decay and discolor in a matter of months.

Also the best preserved older books or documents were printed or written on parchment, vellum, or other materials that were made from treated animal skins - you can see why such material wouldn't be viable for mass publishing!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sir Tonk posted:

Drudge has been waiting for this to get big for so long.

Why is Drudge concealing the truth by using a misleading graphic of a white fist? Who got to him??

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
I actually just got sent an article about the knockout game from my crazy rightwing dad by noted shitheel Thomas Sowell. Wondered why this is coming up so much lately, then I remembered that Zimmerman got into legal trouble AGAIN.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

People are saying the knockout game is going around Detroit now. It's been all over Facebook. Ugh. A handful of morons convince a plethora of morons that everybody is a moron and you'd better be fearful. Thanks, America.

Knockout game is basically the American happy slapping. Has happy slapping been mentioned in the UK over the past few years? The media obsession with it seemed to disappear.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Young Orc

SedanChair posted:

Why is Drudge concealing the truth by using a misleading graphic of a white fist? Who got to him??

He's encouraging oppressed whites to fight back against the rampaging hordes.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Reid just went nuclear and won on judicial nominations. Levin has already been ranting about court packing over the last week so expect him to go out of his god drat mind tonight.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Roxors posted:

I actually just got sent an article about the knockout game from my crazy rightwing dad by noted shitheel Thomas Sowell. Wondered why this is coming up so much lately, then I remembered that Zimmerman got into legal trouble AGAIN.

From dealing with the jackasses I've been exposed to, it's basically "Look at this problem with Black people. No, George Zimmerman was justified and all those white kids that are constantly murdering people by the dozens a time are all crazy. Why would their social environment have anything to do with it? They're white!"

Black - Punch - Race Problem.
White - Shoot - Muh Rahts

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 21, 2013

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Oh Thomas Sowell. Does your name even have to be Thomas?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
ed

quote is not edit

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 21, 2013

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
A friend of mine has really bought into this KNOCKOUT GAME fear-mongering, using it as his new defacto reason for getting a CCW permit.

For reference, we live in a tiny Midwest town and most people don't go more than a block on foot. You can tell where these people get their news from.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

You know I've lived in a majority black poor city for the past 16 years and I had literally never heard of the "knockout game" before the right-wing media started harping on it. My brother once got hit in the head with an empty 40 bottle when he was walking around, but that was the sort of bullshit behavior disaffected youth perpetrate everywhere regardless of race.

Anyway, so the most recent On Point with Tom Ashbrook was about Bitcoins and they had Tom Coburn on, it was pretty weird and he came off as reasonable.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
I'm betting most or all of these knockout assailants are men, and it isn't being reported as problem of male violence or toxic male culture, correct?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Fandyien posted:

You know I've lived in a majority black poor city for the past 16 years and I had literally never heard of the "knockout game" before the right-wing media started harping on it. My brother once got hit in the head with an empty 40 bottle when he was walking around, but that was the sort of bullshit behavior disaffected youth perpetrate everywhere regardless of race.
This poo poo runs in cycles. Two decades ago it was "wilding", last decade it was "flash mobs", now it's the "knockout game". Same as it ever was.

See also: "happy slapping" as part of last decade's UK Chav culture.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Don't forget planking. And rainbow parties. And satanic D&D heavy metal human sacrifices.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

comes along bort posted:

Don't forget planking. And rainbow parties. And satanic D&D heavy metal human sacrifices.

Yeah but planking was a real thing idiots did and the other two are completely imagined horseshit.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

FMguru posted:

This poo poo runs in cycles. Two decades ago it was "wilding", last decade it was "flash mobs", now it's the "knockout game". Same as it ever was.

See also: "happy slapping" as part of last decade's UK Chav culture.

My parents warned me when I was younger that black people will purposefully bump your car from behind so when you get out to inspect the damage they can rob you.

Same as it ever was.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I thought Flash Mobs were those asshats that ruined your lunch by blaring lovely music and re-enacting an episode of Glee?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

comes along bort posted:

Oh, poo poo. I knew I had something to do today. Thanks for reminding me.

*sucks cocks*
*worships devil*
*planks*
*cashes check from George Soros*

whew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I thought Flash Mobs were those asshats that ruined your lunch by blaring lovely music and re-enacting an episode of Glee?

Well sure, if it's white people upstanding youths.