Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Well poo poo now I feel like I just read WebMD and have every symptom in the book. I'm usually fine throughout most of the day, but I tend to get pretty tired late afternoon, however, that's my 'window' if I don't nap in the afternoon once the sun goes down I'm wired and can stay awake all night no issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
My new cpap machine actually has a CDMA module in it that automatically uploads my usage stats to my doctor. Not even wifi, it does it via cell no matter where I am. Kind of cool.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Sent my first student on his stage check today and he passed. It feels like you're on a check ride

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Stealing this from the AI thread. Dreamlifter accidentally landed at the wrong airport last night and is preparing to depart.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Will plane take off? (Probably)

Edit: Well the Dreamlifter succeeded with what looks like a good margin for takeoff. Yay!

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
It looked to go very smoothly. Go go flaps 40.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Does anyone know if Southwest has FAA approval yet for electronic devices in all phases of flight? I'm flying them next week for thanksgiving and would like to have my camera handy.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rickety Cricket posted:

Does anyone know if Southwest has FAA approval yet for electronic devices in all phases of flight? I'm flying them next week for thanksgiving and would like to have my camera handy.

Not only that, they are the only carrier with WiFi in all phases.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Yeah I rode on them yesterday and it was terrific, gate to gate wifi w/ free directv. That said, the gate to gate wifi thing instead of having to wait to 10,000 ft is lessened a little bit by them not letting you use laptops until 10,000 ft. In my experience, Row44 based systems like Southwest's also seems faster than GoGo usually, although that's purely anecdotal.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Slaughter posted:

Yeah I rode on them yesterday and it was terrific, gate to gate wifi w/ free directv. That said, the gate to gate wifi thing instead of having to wait to 10,000 ft is lessened a little bit by them not letting you use laptops until 10,000 ft. In my experience, Row44 based systems like Southwest's also seems faster than GoGo usually, although that's purely anecdotal.

How does their Directv work? Pay for the internet and they throw in the channels they have on your device? I'd heard they only had like 6 channels.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
So I my second attempts at landings today (8-15th landings I'd guess). I did them perfectly! Hooray! Soon I'll solo!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Flew in the back over to Amsterdam on US Airways this weekend and it was fun listening to the flight attendants trying to figure out how to express what the new electronics rules are, especially since they don't apply in Europe so had to do different speaches for takeoff and landing.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

CBJSprague24 posted:

How does their Directv work? Pay for the internet and they throw in the channels they have on your device? I'd heard they only had like 6 channels.

No the directv works through the wifi, but it's separate from the internet package. You connect through the wifi to a walled garden which gives you the option of free tv, $5?(i think) internet, or $5 movies. Right now the TV thing is sponsored by Directv, so you sit through a 30 second ad and then it's entirely free, you don't need to buy anything. Yeah, they don't have that many channels, but you can usually find something to watch and there's VOD as well which is also free. Again, selection isn't amazing, but you can find something to watch.

Yeah, the flight attendants on every airline I've been on since the switch are still struggling a bit with the verbiage and new scripts.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Great! Hope to get some nice pictures of Cleveland the sky. I assume this gate to gate wifi thing is still the same old wifi that southwest charges for?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Indeed it is. The row44/hughesnet satellite poo poo. It's okay, it's pretty slow but they all are.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

I flew Delta 3 weeks ago Tokyo-Minneapolis and we were allowed to use electronics during takeoff and landing, but then on the way back yesterday no go? What?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

brendanwor posted:

I flew Delta 3 weeks ago Tokyo-Minneapolis and we were allowed to use electronics during takeoff and landing, but then on the way back yesterday no go? What?

They weren't supposed to let you do that going over - they have FAA approval, not JAA.

Flying the first week of November was interesting, the FAs were going through their script then correcting themselves on the mainline and trying to explain the difference between Delta and Delta Connection on the RJs.

edit: not JAA but w/e same idea

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 22, 2013

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I'll survive the 90 minute flight without internet

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Rickety Cricket posted:

I'll survive the 90 minute flight without internet

I've paid for internet once. I was on a friend's buddy pass going to DAB and wound up changing at the last minute to MLB because there was no way in hell I was getting into DAB that day, so I had to get a rental car in a pinch. I paid $2.99 for half an hour.

The most beautiful irony to this airplane geek was that I was using wireless internet on a DC-9. :allears:

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I've paid for it when I had work due that was time sensitive, otherwise I usually don't. It's good if you forgot to bring stuff to do on the flight.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."
I would like to thank the rear end in a top hat pilot who seems to think my jumpseat is a right rather then a privilege. Just because you're pissed you didn't get the jump seat because a FAA inspector took it on FAA business. In short don't imply the inspector is just using the jumpseat to travel sans paying for a ticket. Every time I have seen our POIs travel for leisure or whatever else they were doing they had bought a ticket. Period. Inspectors will get fired for just cavorting about the country like their badge is some sort of pass travel. So thanks rear end in a top hat(skywest, expressjet, or whoever else has a black and gold uniform these days) for angering the inspector riding with me by asking if he is "stealing his seat to go see granny."

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Thats hilariously hosed up. What a prick.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
"stealing his seat"

his seat?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Invoice him from the price of the aircraft and operational costs.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Ferris Bueller posted:

I would like to thank the rear end in a top hat pilot who seems to think my jumpseat is a right rather then a privilege. Just because you're pissed you didn't get the jump seat because a FAA inspector took it on FAA business. In short don't imply the inspector is just using the jumpseat to travel sans paying for a ticket. Every time I have seen our POIs travel for leisure or whatever else they were doing they had bought a ticket. Period. Inspectors will get fired for just cavorting about the country like their badge is some sort of pass travel. So thanks rear end in a top hat(skywest, expressjet, or whoever else has a black and gold uniform these days) for angering the inspector riding with me by asking if he is "stealing his seat to go see granny."

That's seriously hosed up. Any way to get his info and report him to his airline's Jumpseat Rep? I was JS Chairman at two different airlines and we took abuse like that pretty seriously.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

How does this whole jumpseat thing work?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

New TA for ExpressJet was leaked. Not as horrible as Pinnacle and PSA, but there are some concessions. I'll be surprised if the pilot group votes to pass it, though. There's been a lot of warpaint being passed around since those two other regionals bent over.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I can't understand why in gods name pilots would vote to take concessions with this many mandatory retirements finally happening and the airlines actually being profitable.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Slaughter posted:

I can't understand why in gods name pilots would vote to take concessions with this many mandatory retirements finally happening and the airlines actually being profitable.

Aren't there a ton of idiots that would be willing to pay regionals to "build time"?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Thank god that's not legal in the US anymore.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
"If we don't pass this TA united won't give us any of the new RJ's and as they transition away fro 50 seaters we'll stagnate and shrink! If we don't pass it we're all DOOOMED!"

This TA will pass. Over the next few weeks well hear a lot of people talking about voting no, yet it'll still pass with 60-70% voting yes.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Interesting article... I especially like the first video.
http://www.flight.org/blog/2012/04/22/gear-up-landings-and-pilot-error/

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Lol airbus pilots

I was so proud of myself for counting the number of white team passes then felt like a dumbass when I realized I missed the bear, haha.

From the outside looking in/in hindsight/armchair piloting/monday morning quarterbacking it's amazing to hear the gear horn going off and the pilot is just chatting away up front. But mistakes happen, as the Atlas Air guys just proved, so I prefer not to cast stones.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
No spoilers.

Yeah I went back to watch it again and it's so easy to see... if you're looking for it. Educational, certainly.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
That clip is in one of our ATC training modules and I fell for it the first time too.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Also the Flying Tiger 66 thing... I want to root for them so bad, especially when the captain says "If you're uncomfortable, if we don't break out, we'll go missed." :(

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Here's an update to that Canadian Cessna that crashed at Nashville without anyone noticing:

quote:

Pilot in Nashville plane crash listed Taylor Swift as next of kin, circled airport for hours
But none of the mysteries surrounding the incident compares to this one: Callan, the 45-year-old Canadian who died in the late-night crash, listed singer Taylor Swift as his next of kin.

That came as news to Swift when authorities reached out to her after the crash.

“The first we heard of this was when the appropriate authorities contacted Taylor’s management about the crash,” Paula Erickson, Swift’s publicist, wrote in an email response to questions. “Taylor does not know this person.”

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Protip: If you think you might have accidentally violated class bravo, don't fly ten minutes south, and then check on requesting flight following. We're probably already staring at your target, wondering who you are.

Pilot :v:: "Skylane 123AB, fifteen south of wemadeanoopsie, requesting VFR flight following."
Controller :what:: "Squawk 1234, confirm callsign is N123AB?"
:v:: "Affirmative."
:what:: "Skylane 123AB, you may have been involved in a pilot deviation, upon landing, please call 123-555-1234."
:v:: :stonk:

Poor guy was in an obviously good mood, too, flying around on a Saturday. :saddowns:

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Protip: If you think you might have accidentally violated class bravo, don't fly ten minutes south, and then check on requesting flight following. We're probably already staring at your target, wondering who you are.

Pilot :v:: "Skylane 123AB, fifteen south of wemadeanoopsie, requesting VFR flight following."
Controller :what:: "Squawk 1234, confirm callsign is N123AB?"
:v:: "Affirmative."
:what:: "Skylane 123AB, you may have been involved in a pilot deviation, upon landing, please call 123-555-1234."
:v:: :stonk:

Poor guy was in an obviously good mood, too, flying around on a Saturday. :saddowns:

What usually happens in cases like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Anything from an uncomfortable phone call to FAA certificate action. It depends on the FSDO, a little bit on the controller, and a lot on whether or not the guy was smart enough to call a lawyer first.

• Locked thread