Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

I took Deponia, thank you very much! I enjoyed Edna & Harvey and The Whispered World so hopefully this one will be as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beto Rocha
Jan 2, 2010

Got this! Thank you!

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Glare Seethe posted:

I took Deponia, thank you very much! I enjoyed Edna & Harvey and The Whispered World so hopefully this one will be as good.

Deponia is actually pretty good aside from a couple of dumb puzzles! I couldn't get into the sequel though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The best part about Daedalic's games are the horrible theme songs sung by the same German guy. Seriously, I love him.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Hakkesshu posted:

The best part about Daedalic's games are the horrible theme songs sung by the same German guy. Seriously, I love him.
I sat there through the entire ~5 minute intro of Harvey's New Eyes twice, the first time because I thought maybe something would happen (and it doesn't, the whole intro exists just to showcase that song) and the second time just because the song was starting to grow on me. "I catered for these CIRCUMSTANCES and hands carry NEEDLE AND STITCH!" It's oddly catchy.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Hakkesshu posted:

I just played Deponia for the first time ever yesterday and almost cracked up at the opening song. I got that it was supposed to be humorous, but the super thick accent just defeats the purpose. It definitely adds a bizarre charm to the whole thing. I'm glad there are more of them.

Speaking of bizarre charm, I just whipped together a small Dropsy teaser as an excuse to make everyone watch this freaking incredible CG animation a fan sent me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D9weQcaCnY

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Deponia is actually pretty good aside from a couple of dumb puzzles! I couldn't get into the sequel though.

Goodbye Deponia is actually quite good. Chaos was the weakest of the three (it didn't help that a big chunk of the plot was kinda misogynistic besides Rufus' sleazeball views and the game had a lot smaller world compared to the first.)

Piekuuns
May 15, 2009
Just finished The Inner World, took about 7 hours and I enjoyed it. Puzzles are quite intuitive and logical, there’s even a built in hint system if you desire to use it. Setting is unique, dialog is well written and characters are likeable.

Overall, I recommend it.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Speaking of Daedelic games, does anyone know how to get the FMVs in Night of the Rabbit to play with sound when you're using Windows XP? Apparently this was an acknowledged problem back in May, and there was supposed to have been a patch?

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Wadjet Eye Games' The Shivah is getting an enhanced edition: http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/games/the-shivah/

The Shivah: Kosher Edition is basically the same as the original except with updated graphics. Highly recommended - it's probably my favorite WEG game. Like other WEG titles, it is a bit on the short side though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I like that it's so short, though. You can beat it in like an hour and a half, and it's a really cool, satisfying story. It might actually be my favourite Wadjet Eye game as well.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Shine posted:

Whenever I try that, it still sounds like it's doing a sound blaster (or PC Speaker, if I select that in the SQ3 installer). This is the sound I'm trying to get, but all I can manage is either PC speaker, or this. :(

Weird thing is, the Tandy music works just fine with SQ1 and KQ4. I have the 1997 SQ Collection, so maybe it's an issue with the SQ3 version in that package. I dunno but I'd love to get it working with Tandy music.

Sorry this response is a bit late, but the easiest way to get that music is to run the game under ScummVM(which supports Sierra AGI and SCI titles now), and select "IBM PC Jnr Emulator" as your sound device. Much, much easier than having to dick around with config files.

Seriously, ScummVM is an amazing thing. It even runs Return To Zork, if anyone ever actually wanted to play that for some reason.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Castle Radium posted:

Sorry this response is a bit late, but the easiest way to get that music is to run the game under ScummVM(which supports Sierra AGI and SCI titles now), and select "IBM PC Jnr Emulator" as your sound device. Much, much easier than having to dick around with config files.

Seriously, ScummVM is an amazing thing. It even runs Return To Zork, if anyone ever actually wanted to play that for some reason.

Thanks! I will try this as soon as I get home and if it works I will give you a kiss with tongue.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Castle Radium posted:

Want some rye? 'Course you do!

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

So Deponia is really good so far (minus the unfortunate portrayal of Lotti), but I've been horribly stuck for a day now. Can someone gently nudge me in the right direction? I'm almost done working on the espresso, but how do I get the post office to open? I am 95% sure I know everything else I need to do after I do that, it's just the first step that's stumping me. I'm past the point of using every inventory item with every other inventory item and various hotspots and I've exhausted all conversation topics with everyone.

I used to go weeks being stuck in adventure games back in the 90s, now I seek help after one day. :(

edit: Starting to think this is bugged or something, but I'd rather not look at a walkthrough cause that always ends up spoiling other parts of the game even if you're super careful.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 15, 2013

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

You don't have to access the post office for the espresso. :v:

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

HardDisk posted:

You don't have to access the post office for the espresso. :v:

:stare: You mean I don't need the lead weights from the gift vouchers to weigh down the scales and get the handcuffs so I can get the lockpick from the police station to open the doctor's box and get the final ingredient for the espresso? But it all made so much sense in my head. Thanks for the redirection - at least I know I need to look for something else now!

edit: Got it finally. Thought I needed to attach the foot fetters to the platform via the handcuffs but turns out just the handcuffs are enough. Clever puzzle with putting the fetters back in the other cabinet and all.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 15, 2013

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
Just saw this in the Amazon thread and thought I'd share: Metal Dead is on sale at Amazon for $1.25, DRM Free, until 11/30

Despite having no voice acting, this was one of my favorite old-school-style adventure games of the last few years. Every body should grab it and then go vote for the sequel on Steam Greenlight.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The Shivah remake is up on Humble Store, Steam, and WadjetEye's site. It's a good game lacking a lot of the pratfalls of the genre. It's definitely worth checking out especially if it goes on sale.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

choobs posted:

Just saw this in the Amazon thread and thought I'd share: Metal Dead is on sale at Amazon for $1.25, DRM Free, until 11/30

Despite having no voice acting, this was one of my favorite old-school-style adventure games of the last few years. Every body should grab it and then go vote for the sequel on Steam Greenlight.

For a second I hoped you were talking about the adventure genre masterpiece The Rocking Dead.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

There's buzz going around right now that Telltale is making a Song of Ice & Fire/Game of Thrones game :stare:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Glare Seethe posted:

:stare: You mean I don't need the lead weights from the gift vouchers to weigh down the scales and get the handcuffs so I can get the lockpick from the police station to open the doctor's box and get the final ingredient for the espresso? But it all made so much sense in my head. Thanks for the redirection - at least I know I need to look for something else now!

edit: Got it finally. Thought I needed to attach the foot fetters to the platform via the handcuffs but turns out just the handcuffs are enough. Clever puzzle with putting the fetters back in the other cabinet and all.

Man I love seeing people talk through adventure game logic.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

There's buzz going around right now that Telltale is making a Song of Ice & Fire/Game of Thrones game :stare:

I remember them saying a while ago that they'd want to do a game based on it since they're fans, is there something new and more solid that came out indicating they're actually working on it?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember them saying a while ago that they'd want to do a game based on it since they're fans, is there something new and more solid that came out indicating they're actually working on it?

IGN says they verified it with "multiple credible sources", for whatever that's worth.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Glare Seethe posted:

:stare: You mean I don't need the lead weights from the gift vouchers to weigh down the scales and get the handcuffs so I can get the lockpick from the police station to open the doctor's box and get the final ingredient for the espresso? But it all made so much sense in my head.
This. Forget cat-hair-moustache - this should be the go-to quote about stupid adventure game logic.

neongrey posted:

Man I love seeing people talk through adventure game logic.
Yeah.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
Some opinions on games not mentioned in the OP that I played fairly recently:

Book of Unwritten Tales: Critter Chronicles - To get it out of the way, the game is significantly shorter than the Book of Unwritten Tales and has just a handful of locations (they do call it an expansion and not a full sequel). Despite smaller scope the main characters get satisfying arcs - and Nate and Critter were my least favorite characters in the original. The game also has much better ending than the first game which ended a bit abruptly. They must have listened to criticism because ending here is long and :3: enough. Overall, a good game but maybe wait for a sale - I am not one of the dudes who obsess over hour-to-dollar ratio in games but it shouldn't be the same price as the original game.

Flight of the Amazon Queen - Dialogue, humor and characters don't have anything on Lucasarts and voice acting isn't very good. What saves the game is the super pulpy and pleasantly nonsensical plot and puzzles that mostly make sense. Had fun with the game although there is a section near the end where that was a bit tedious to me. It's free on GOG so it's worth checking out.

Simon the Sorcerer - I really liked this one. It's just a charming game with good humor, solid voice acting and an interesting world to explore. My problem was that you had to travel through a large forest to get to most of locations and it's just big and confusing. Although you get fast travel, it is limited and getting anywhere can be painful in the beginning, when you don't know where things are exactly in relation to each other. The game is also a bit nonlinear when it comes to smaller tasks you need to do. It actually made puzzles harder for me because it's hard to remember all the locations and things to do and items you currently have. Still, drat fine game. I was looking forward to the sequel, which apparently simplified the travel and made the main character more smart rear end.

Simon the Sorcerer 2 - Ugh. It's hard to pinpoint what exactly bothered me because at a certain point everything the game did annoyed me. Simon has these outbursts of assholery that aren't funny and are more like being forced to listen to an annoying teenager. A lot of the humor didn't connect with me. Voice acting seems worse. A lot of characters are annoying or unpleasant instead of being interesting and funny like in the original. The game feels padded at times, with puzzles that take longer to solve than necessary and made me feel like the game is just wasting my time. Some of the puzzles use very dubious logic that annoyed me. Game repeatedly stalls the player from reaching finale through not very interesting diversions and a lot of conversations are longer than they need to be. But the worst thing is probably the ending which rewards me with a crappy cliffhanger to be resolved in a game I know to be completely poo poo and which I won't play. I don't know what went wrong - maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind when I played this - but I didn't care for this game.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

For anyone who's interested in Discworld Noir but can't get hold of a copy or can't play it for whatever reason, Bacter's just started a Let's Play of it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Tiggum posted:

For anyone who's interested in Discworld Noir but can't get hold of a copy or can't play it for whatever reason, Bacter's just started a Let's Play of it.

It's too bad it's a screenshot LP, because that game has fantastic voice acting as I recall.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
I've been playing the Blackwell games over the last few weeks and finally finished Deception. drat, what a great series of games. I can't wait for Epiphany.

Deception was definitely the best in every aspect except visually. The backgrounds all looked good, but man the sprites were mediocre, worse even than the first game. I also really like the updated portraits in the new version that just came out. The originals were well made but the cartoony look didn't match the tone of the game that well.

The screenshots for Epiphany don't indicate any similar issues. Dave Gilbert was estimating February/March on the Wadjet Eye boards back last month or so. Hopefully he's able to stick to it.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Various news tidbits:

A new trailer for Moebius Empire Rising: A Metaphysical Adventure by Jane Jensen (yes that is the real title) is out.

Also the Presto Studios guys have come back to life, teasing the Journeyman Project: Pegasus Prime release as still on for 2013, which means it would be coming awfully soon.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Broken Sword 5 comes out on Dec 4th, apparently Kickstarter dudes can play a demo now.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The Simon the Sorcerer games are on sale on GOG; which ones are good?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Hannibal Rex posted:

I haven't played them but I remember hearing the first two are good, someone else could probably be more specific. 3D is god awful though, skip it.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Hannibal Rex posted:

1+2 >> 3 >>>>>>>> 4 onwards (made by Germans - apart from character names unrecognisable as the same series)

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

ookiimarukochan posted:

1+2 >> 3 >>>>>>>> 4 onwards (made by Germans - apart from character names unrecognisable as the same series)

Even 1 and 2 are pretty awful, from the rock-paper-scissors combat with unskippable dialogue to the sexism and racism and other juvenile humor.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
It's the second game that has lovely, questionable humor. The rock-paper-scissors bit in the first one takes like two minutes to complete if you are unlucky so not sure why that rubbed you the wrong way. It's not Monkey Kombat bad.

Personally, I would recommend getting the first game and stopping there (I wrote why earlier on this page). It amazes me that these games became a franchise.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Mq posted:

It's the second game that has lovely, questionable humor. The rock-paper-scissors bit in the first one takes like two minutes to complete if you are unlucky so not sure why that rubbed you the wrong way. It's not Monkey Kombat bad.

There is, fortunately, very little as bad as Monkey Kombat, but that R-P-S bit still took me a good 8 or 10 minutes -- when I lost there was over a minute of unskippable cutscene, followed by another minute or so of dialogue to get back to the minigame.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

gschmidl posted:

Even 1 and 2 are pretty awful, from the rock-paper-scissors combat with unskippable dialogue to the sexism and racism and other juvenile humor.
Apart from the Um-Bongo stuff (which was called out, repeatedly, in the reviews I saw at the time) it was just very much a product of the early/mid 90s in the UK. There was really nothing there you'd not see in PC Zone or Viz.
(replying to a German looking username, so I dunno - maybe cultural or translation issues? I've seen way too many films/TV shows destroyed by a god-awful Japanese translation (not to mention played - attempted to play - too many godawful German or Spanish adventure games - the only one I've actually enjoyed being Pendulo Studios' Next Big Thing, but none of their others which were written and translated by (I believe) the same people) to not expect that translating anything funny rarely works.
The rock-paper-scissors thing was the two demons, right? Because I remember them being very much a reference to Hale & Pace so I can imagine that not translating well across borders, let alone anything else.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Memoria is on sale over at Green Man Gaming. I remember mixed reviews of Chains of Satinav. Has anyone played Memoria and can recommend/dissuade it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Broken Sword 5 comes out on Dec 4th, apparently Kickstarter dudes can play a demo now.

I played the start of the demo. It's basically Broken Sword 1 or 2 at 720p instead of 640x480. Great backgrounds, music, voice acting, etc. Oh and and and you can show all of your disgusting inventory items to everyone and they're forced to comment on it. So it's pretty much exactly what I hoped for.

It's disappointing that they went with pre-rendered 3D sprites instead of hand-drawn animation but it turned out a lot better than I expected.

BTW, there are almost no graphics options. The demo runs at 720p windowed or fullscreen and that's it. I don't know if the full game has more resolution options.

epmode fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 2, 2013