Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Taffer posted:

Do an ID dump with NEI and make sure there are no conflicts, MPS reacts weirdly to ID conflicts.

Figured it out. Apparently the generated config file didn't assign the other pieces of armor item IDs. I checked, and the range it seemed to have wanted wasn't even used by anything else. Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
How am I supposed to void items with itemducts? Besides the obvious Trash Can from extra utilities and void chest from that mod.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Khorne posted:

How am I supposed to void items with itemducts? Besides the obvious Trash Can from extra utilities and void chest from that mod.

I think you just answered your own question there.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Khorne posted:

Into lava? Can the itemducts throw stuff into the world? If not, a dropper should do it.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Khorne posted:

A Nullifier. It also voids fluids.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
KL any chance tiered dynamos are a planned feature? As it takes a metric gently caress ton of dynamos to power a mining laser at only 40 RF per dynamo.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Hagop posted:

KL any chance tiered dynamos are a planned feature? As it takes a metric gently caress ton of dynamos to power a mining laser at only 40 RF per dynamo.

He has said that there will be upgrades for dynamos later (I'm really interested to see how that goes).

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Related:

https://github.com/BuildCraft/BuildCraft/issues/1301

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
You gotta admit, that is a pretty good response. :sigh:

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

With the dental work? And no real answer?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Dunno-Lars posted:

With the dental work? And no real answer?
Is opening a ticket the best way to ask that question do you think?

Take a breath, this isn't the smoking gun you seem to think it is.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I thought COFH made the RF system in TE3 precisely because of the lovely changes in Buildcraft's power model?

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

KingLemming posted:

A Nullifier. It also voids fluids.

Do you still have valves and relays planned?

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I thought COFH made the RF system in TE3 precisely because of the lovely changes in Buildcraft's power model?

I think it was always kind of a work-in-progress but the change to BC power made them rush the RF system forward.

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!
I absolutely love Big Reactors but since the documentation is..uh..none, I was hoping someone could answer a few questions. I'm using the 1.5 version if that makes a difference.

1. What is the max safe reactor temperature? I'm insanely paranoid about it blowing up since there's no information about this.

2. I know from wylker's spotlight that putting water in the empty spaces helps, but how does it affect efficiency, and how thorough do you need to be with covering the fuel rods? Ie, can you just put water source blocks along the top, or do you need to fill every block inside with its own source? Along that vein, does the rod need to have water on all sides or will just one or two do? This is the design I'm currently using (R = rod, W = water):

R W W R
W R R W
W R R W
R W W R

It puts out about 200mj/t, but that number seems to fluctuate quite a bit and seemingly at random. The temperature hovers around 5200-5500C

3. Do reactors have some kind of auto-shutdown? Every now and then I'll check and it will be turned off for some reason.

4. Is there a use for the blue waste ingots?

Thanks for any help. :ohdear:

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

Varjon posted:

I absolutely love Big Reactors but since the documentation is..uh..none, I was hoping someone could answer a few questions. I'm using the 1.5 version if that makes a difference.

1. What is the max safe reactor temperature? I'm insanely paranoid about it blowing up since there's no information about this.

2. I know from wylker's spotlight that putting water in the empty spaces helps, but how does it affect efficiency, and how thorough do you need to be with covering the fuel rods? Ie, can you just put water source blocks along the top, or do you need to fill every block inside with its own source? Along that vein, does the rod need to have water on all sides or will just one or two do? This is the design I'm currently using (R = rod, W = water):

R W W R
W R R W
W R R W
R W W R

It puts out about 200mj/t, but that number seems to fluctuate quite a bit and seemingly at random. The temperature hovers around 5200-5500C

3. Do reactors have some kind of auto-shutdown? Every now and then I'll check and it will be turned off for some reason.

4. Is there a use for the blue waste ingots?

Thanks for any help. :ohdear:

Hello friend! There's actually a semi-complete wiki at the official Technic Wiki, which covers #4.

For (1), Big Reactors do not explode. As heat increases, fuel usage increases faster than power generated. High heats mean you will generate power faster, but less power per unit of fuel.

(2) There's a long complex explanation, but the basics work like this:

Fuel rods burn fuel and generate heat. This heat is radiated to the reactor they are contained in. The environment around the fuel rod determines how fast this transfer occurs.

The reactor, as a whole, consumes its internal heat store to generate power.

Water transfers heat faster than air. Heat radiates out from a rod in the cardinal directions (north/south/east/west).

The fluctuation is because of fuel rod radiation and fertilization.

In addition to heat, the fuel rods shoot radiation out in the cardinal directions. Each tick, it picks one cardinal direction and shoots radiation in that direction. That radiation is attenuated by the environment it passes through; water will slow it down and convert some of it to heat and power. If radiation strikes another fuel rod, it will "fertilize" that fuel rod. The fertilized rod will generate extra radiation and heat (and burn more fuel) for a short time, slowly returning to its normal output.

Eventually, this stuff will more obvious as I'll add particle effects shooting out of fuel rods in the cardinal directions.

Edit: Oh, and the radiation is stopped by both reactor casing and reactor walls. There's no dangerous leakage into the outside environment. This is Big Reactors, not Big Chernobyls.

(3) Not that I know of, that sounds like a bug. If you see this, can you PM me your log? Any information you can supply will help.

Erogenous Beef fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 23, 2013

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
I noticed last night that Tinker's has some road blocks (which apparently can be made faster using its chisel), and I was wondering how the melted tin + gravel recipe compares, in terms of speed, compared to other road blocks from MFR and other such places?

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!

Awesome, I didn't really expect an author response! Thanks for taking the time, I think I understand the mod much better now. I will keep a closer eye on the shutdown thing and see if I can reproduce it. It may have had to do with the chunk unloading.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Is there a wiki/etc for Artifice? Would be nice to have an idea of what's going on, mosit of it's self-explanatory, but still.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009

Varjon posted:

I noticed this happening very occasionally too until I threw down a chunkloader that encompassed the reactor and automated fuel insertion and extraction with logistics pipes. I think it was the former causing it to hiccup, but I'm not sure. As to (4), you can put them in a Cyanite Reprocessor and it'll turn them into Blutonium, which works just like the Yellorium.

Falcon2001 posted:

Is there a wiki/etc for Artifice? Would be nice to have an idea of what's going on, mosit of it's self-explanatory, but still.
The Technic Wiki page is sparse and full of stubs, but at least gives an overview and an indication of what's included.

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

Varjon posted:

Awesome, I didn't really expect an author response! Thanks for taking the time, I think I understand the mod much better now. I will keep a closer eye on the shutdown thing and see if I can reproduce it. It may have had to do with the chunk unloading.

That wouldn't surprise me. Does your reactor straddle multiple chunks? You can hit F3 and watch your coordinates to check this.

There's some funky code to detect when a reactor disassembles due to chunkload and essentially puts it into stasis. It should, however, be restored when its whole again. There's probably a bug in that bit.

Edit: VVVVV I am a derp. Thanks.

Erogenous Beef fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 23, 2013

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Erogenous Beef posted:

You can hit F2 and watch your coordinates to check this.

If you're using NEI (which you probably are) you can hit F9 a couple times to turn on a visible chunk grid in-world. It's super useful if you're trying to watch chunk boundaries for something like this.

Edit: Also the vanilla info screen is F3.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So I'm using the Technic Launcher and I've tried both Big Dig and Tekkit so far and the game starts up fine and then about 20-30 seconds in the framerate slows to a crawl and I'm forced to quit out. I'm on Windows 8 and have a pretty decent processor/graphics card so it's not that.

Edit: The same thing happens while I'm in menus so it's not just a graphics thing, apparently.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

In the upper right corner of the launcher, click the gear. Find the Memory option and increase it to about 2G. Should work a bit better.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Zebrin posted:

In the upper right corner of the launcher, click the gear. Find the Memory option and increase it to about 2G. Should work a bit better.

The tab only goes to 1GB. I tried setting it to 2 because I remember last time that being an issue.

I click the button and it just scrolls to 1GB and that's it.

Edit: I might be a massive idiot and not have java 64bit installed....

Edit 2: I sure the gently caress am.

Should I set it past 2GB?

Saxophone fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 23, 2013

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

2 gigs is the limit I think, beyond that Java goes a bit wonky with memory. I don't know why. And yes, it is Java, not Minecraft itself. You can always try I guess!

massecurr
Dec 15, 2012
So everytime I launch Technic Launcher it crashes with this error: http://pastebin.com/rkH9fmjf what hosed up and how do I fix it?

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

I just released Big Reactors 0.2.0A for Minecraft 1.6.4. Requires Forge 916+ and some sort of Redstone Flux-compatible power system. You'll probably want Thermal Expansion 3, because it's rad.

RedNet ALL the reactors:

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Beef, you are officially one of my favorite people EVER, now. Thermal Expansion's only real problem right now is a lack of high-tier power capability. And now you come and save the day.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

A friend recently got me to install Minecraft again and set up a modded server. We're running Resonant Rise, it's a fairly comprehensive Forge-based modpack that we're enjoying quite a bit.

Unfortunately, I'm finding that I have literally zero self-control over my playing habits, and I'd like to set something up server-side that will kick me off after a period of time. Are there any mods out there that do that? I'm not seeing one in the MCF mod list.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Whatever happened to that force field mod? I can't recall the name of it to do a search and I'd like to plonk it into a server pack for my friends.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Is there any way to enable cheating in a single player game that you have marked as no cheating? I probably should have set it to ON when I created the world but alas I did not. I'm running Big Dig and I'd really like to turn on keepInventory.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.

blastron posted:

A friend recently got me to install Minecraft again and set up a modded server. We're running Resonant Rise, it's a fairly comprehensive Forge-based modpack that we're enjoying quite a bit.

Unfortunately, I'm finding that I have literally zero self-control over my playing habits, and I'd like to set something up server-side that will kick me off after a period of time. Are there any mods out there that do that? I'm not seeing one in the MCF mod list.

Sorry, the only mod that will kick you off after a set period of time requires diamond blocks and nether stars to create the block that kicks you.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Magmarashi posted:

Whatever happened to that force field mod? I can't recall the name of it to do a search and I'd like to plonk it into a server pack for my friends.

You mean MFFS (Modular Force Field System)?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Magmarashi posted:

Effector Fields? The only place I've seen a download link is in this thread. I think it's in Toast as well.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Fortis posted:

Effector Fields? The only place I've seen a download link is in this thread. I think it's in Toast as well.

Yes, that one! What was the last version it was available for and does anyone have a link to it so I don't have to comb through dozens of pages looking.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Saxophone posted:

Is there any way to enable cheating in a single player game that you have marked as no cheating? I probably should have set it to ON when I created the world but alas I did not. I'm running Big Dig and I'd really like to turn on keepInventory.

If you go into LAN mode, it gives you another prompt that lets you turn cheats back on. Cheat mode won't be turned on permanently, but that should be enough to let you change that rule and the rule change should be permanent.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Halibut Barn posted:

If you go into LAN mode, it gives you another prompt that lets you turn cheats back on. Cheat mode won't be turned on permanently, but that should be enough to let you change that rule and the rule change should be permanent.

Hurray! I had the same problem - sick of playing with inventory loss. Just lost a ton of stuff because I zoned into the nether and got shot by an arrow off the ledge before I had a chance to react, throwing me into the lava :(

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 25, 2013

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Our server crashed, and me and another people who were online at the time logged back in at spawn with no items at all. Anyone ever heard of this and know of a fix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

massecurr posted:

So everytime I launch Technic Launcher it crashes with this error: http://pastebin.com/rkH9fmjf what hosed up and how do I fix it?

EVERY TIME? You are a beautiful human being who is consistently reproducing an extremely rare error case. Please pastebin your entire (ENTIRE) latest log file from .technic/logs and PM it to me.

• Locked thread