Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

PassTheRemote posted:

The uniform of the Time Lords reminds me a little of the armor of the Imperial Guard in 40k. I think the treason they lost is that they did not have any Time Lord Space Marines.

Who do you suppose the War Doctor is then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

So I have been dipping into Classic Who recently, and I have a question:

I watched "The Five Doctors". Was kinda weird. What was the deal with Tom Baker not really being in it? Like he was "in the movie" but had no speaking parts.

Also I have a question about Rassilon: I take it he is like some super powerful Time Lord wizard kind of character, The founder of Time Lord society, etc. But he was "dead" in the Five Doctors. Any info on how he popped back up, and was apparently president of the Time Lords again, in "The End of Time"? I caught that again the other night, and it didn't really explain much I guess. How did Rassilon manage to throw that diamond out of the time lock to earth? They never did clarify that did they? Timey Wimey plot hole stuff I guess?

I also watched the Caves of Androzani last night. I think I like Peter Davison a lot.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 22, 2013

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Dirt posted:

I watched "The Five Doctors". Was kinda weird. What was the deal with Tom Baker not really being in it? Like he was "in the movie" but had no speaking parts.

Tom Baker declined to appear in it, so all of the footage of him is unused stuff from Shada.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
In a society largely based around the use of time machines and regeneration, I suspect being dead is fairly easy to overcome. IIRC Ten says something to the effect that the Time Lords must have been really desperate if they brought Rassilon back for the War, which implies that it's possible but probably extremely frowned upon due to the possibility of paradox. Then again, if they're in the middle of a war throughout time, that amount of paradox may well have been considered acceptable.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dirt posted:

He refused to be in it. He was the most popular one and the only footage they used was from the unreleased was from Shada. When they did photos of the five Tom was a wax statue

Tom Baker was Who's William Shatner

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Edit ^^^ That's hilarious

thexerox123 posted:

Tom Baker declined to appear in it, so all of the footage of him is unused stuff from Shada.

Know of any reason why he declined?

PantsOptional posted:

In a society largely based around the use of time machines and regeneration, I suspect being dead is fairly easy to overcome. IIRC Ten says something to the effect that the Time Lords must have been really desperate if they brought Rassilon back for the War, which implies that it's possible but probably extremely frowned upon due to the possibility of paradox. Then again, if they're in the middle of a war throughout time, that amount of paradox may well have been considered acceptable.

This is what I figured. Time travel explains everything I guess. It's a pretty good plot device to fill in any continuity gaps, I'll give them that.

Sidenote: The Peter Davison era Cybermen theme that plays when they are wandering around doing Cybermen stuff is awesome.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Dirt posted:

Also I have a question about Rassilon: I take it he is like some super powerful Time Lord wizard kind of character, The Founder of Time Lord society, etc. But he was "dead" in the Five Doctors. Any info on how he popped back up, and was apparently President of the Time Lords again, in "The End of Time"? I caught that again the other night, and it didn't really explain much I guess. How did Rassilon manage to throw that diamond out of the time lock to earth? They never did clarify that did they? Timey Wimey plot hole stuff I guess?

I also watched the Caves of Androzani last night. I think I like Peter Davison a lot.

T Bakes was on the outs with the Who people at the time, and like Eccleston recently, declined to be a part of the special. There were several reasons I've heard, I can't recall which were debunked:

1) He didn't want to be typecast
2) He read the script and didn't like it
3) He didn't feel it was right to return and overshadow Peter Davison

So they scrambled to get a fix and they used footage from an unaired serial, Shada and "put him in a box" for the whole special. Incidentally, they did a photo shoot with all the Doctors and had a wax dummy stand in for Tom, which is where the wax dummy jokes you might see ITT come from.

It was never explained how Rassilon returned, much like much of the Time War is unexplained. We're led to believe that in their hour of need, he either chose to come back from his immortal sleep in the Dark Tower, or they asked him nicely, and they made him President again. Remember he specifically is revealed not to be dead in Five Doctors, but immortal--the only Time Lord to have that ability. Though apparently he can choose to regenerate, as he regenerates into Timothy Dalton. Of course if you take the Big Finish audios as canon-as you should, Rassilon already came back and regenerated into another guy in between and did some stuff too.

The diamond is just Rassilon being Rassilon. He's more powerful, older, and more intelligent then all the other Time Lords put together, so if anyone could break the time lock it's him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dirt posted:

Edit ^^^ That's hilarious
Know of any reason why he declined?

He says it was to not overshadow David, but most likely it did not focus on him.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'll say this for Moffat, he at least didn't include Eccleston in it when he didn't want to be involved, instead of just splicing in footage from The Second Coming or something.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

2house2fly posted:

I'll say this for Moffat, he at least didn't include Eccleston in it when he didn't want to be involved, instead of just splicing in footage from The Second Coming or something.

Are you posting from the future? For all we know Day of the Doctor may end with Hurt's regeneration into 9.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

2house2fly posted:

I am holding out hope that Christopher Eccleston pops up for a cameo at the end of the 50th.

It probably won't happen, but I can dream. :allears:

edit: Also, the McGann thing would of been the most amazing opening sequence to the actual Day of the Doctor episode. It was awesome as a surprise mini-episode, but I feel like it would of rocked the Doctor Who fan universe if that was the opening 7 minutes of the 50th special.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 22, 2013

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It would have been great if they'd had the courage to show Night of the Doctor on tv.

One thing that shocks the hell out of me is how well they've been able to keep a lid on the plot. Normally I'd have to bail on the spoiler thread days before because all the details would be out. We don't know substantially any more then we did months ago, and a lot of that is based on leaked set filming pics.

Good job on this one Moffat!

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I have this vague hope that any Eccleston cameo will be like Matt Smith in the Laurel and Hardy clip - just sort of appearing on a monitor somewhere and waving at the screen. Or accidentally stumbling across Ten and Eleven mid-adventure and quietly sneaking back out. Subdued and simple. No pomp and circumstance.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

It would have been great if they'd had the courage to show Night of the Doctor on tv.

I wonder if it might have been meant for Children In Need but ended up being rushed out in response to the possibility of a leak?

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?
I just had the most incredible idea, for if Christopher Eccleston was involved.

We see The War Doctor regenerate into Ecclestone's Doctor and then get a few minutes of action with his Doctor before the end of the episode, like a montage building up to him meeting Rose in the department store in the first episode of 'The Revival'.

What do we see in the montage? Eccleston's Doctor standing at the side of the road as an on-looker at the assassination of President Kennedy, like the picture we see of that in the episode where Rose meets the guy who has found and collected pictures of The Doctor. Connects and ends the 50th Anniversary episode with the 50th Anniversary of JFK's assassination and ties into the first series of the revival when the picture of it turns up.

This:-

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

James R posted:

I just had the most incredible idea, for if Christopher Eccleston was involved.

We see The War Doctor regenerate into Ecclestone's Doctor and then get a few minutes of action with his Doctor before the end of the episode, like a montage building up to him meeting Rose in the department store in the first episode of 'The Revival'.

What do we see in the montage? Eccleston's Doctor standing at the side of the road as an on-looker at the assassination of President Kennedy, like the picture we see of that in the episode where Rose meets the guy who has found and collected pictures of The Doctor. Connects and ends the 50th Anniversary episode with the 50th Anniversary of JFK's assassination and ties into the first series of the revival when the picture of it turns up.

This:-

Is he there to stop Spock?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

That seems like it would be in pretty poor taste.

So, maybe.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pops Mgee posted:

Is he there to stop Spock?

He was probably hoping to meet the Red Dwarf crew.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mortanis posted:

Or accidentally stumbling across Ten and Eleven mid-adventure and quietly sneaking back out. Subdued and simple. No pomp and circumstance.

We hear a TARDIS in the background but 10 and 11 are arguing/fawning over each other too loudly for them to notice. 9 walks into the background, sees the two of them, mouths "NOPE!" and gets back into his TARDIS and leaves.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

PantsOptional posted:

That seems like it would be in pretty poor taste.

So, maybe.

Seriously? Hah! It's no worse than the 11th Doctor straight up murdering Solomon in Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Astroman posted:

We hear a TARDIS in the background but 10 and 11 are arguing/fawning over each other too loudly for them to notice. 9 walks into the background, sees the two of them, mouths "NOPE!" and gets back into his TARDIS and leaves.

If they did get him to record new lines, I hope one of them is something along the lines of "Are these my successors, a clown and a dandy?"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The best thing I can say about The Last Day is that it made me want to play Tiberian Sun again.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Astroman posted:

This would be pretty much perfect.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Astroman posted:

They sort of have? It's been running in fairly heavy rotation on the red button service in the UK, and advertising it as such, too. It was playing yesterday because I watched it again after AiS&T :3:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

James R posted:

Seriously? Hah! It's no worse than the 11th Doctor straight up murdering Solomon in Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.

Do you honestly not see the difference between the death of a fictional character and the assassination of a real President, especially right now when the anniversary of said assassination is all over the news?

James R
Dec 22, 2006

PantsOptional posted:

Do you honestly not see the difference between the death of a fictional character and the assassination of a real President, especially right now when the anniversary of said assassination is all over the news?

We know he was there in the show. There's a picture of him watching. We saw the picture on an anniversary of his death originally.

I live in the UK and I've already seen the back of his head blown off at least five or six times in different programs that have appeared on television in the last couple of days. Like every other god-damned year. Does anyone in the USA plaster the news, papers and create shows on the 11th May to remember our assassinated Prime Minister? We don't even do that in the UK!

We saw The President(Elect for some unknown reason) killed IN Doctor Who, we've seen plenty of historical 'real' deaths, hell.. we saw thousands die in Pompeii. No need to be touchy because in this case it was a guy who happened to be President for 1000 days, most of which he couldn't keep his dick in his pants for (well, when he wasn't being pumped full of prescription meds).

C.S. Lewis and Aldous Huxley both died on the same day of the same year, yet they are hardly mentioned, sadly. Yes, it's a shame that a President got assassinated, but it's not some holy untouchable moment.

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003
REDTEXTING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS YOU GUYS.

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.
Wanna touch on The Last Day. Underwhelming, but only because of what came before. But I find it really intriguing because of what it implies about the broader Time War. Speculation: If the minisode does in fact take place on the last day of the War, that means that in the last stage of the Time War, the Daleks launch an invasion of Gallifrey. So we have the Daleks on the very cusp of victory over the Time Lords, forcing the Time Lords hand into enacting the Ultimate Sanction - evolving to a higher plane of being but system-crashing the universe in its wake. Two unstoppable objects, so to speak, hurtling toward each other.

What this implies to me is that the Doctor used the Moment because he literally had no other choice - if he hadn't, either the Daleks win and plunge the universe into an eternal and unchangeable hellworld where the living would envy the dead forever, or the Time Lords would wipe out everything. Everything converging to a single point in time where everything is screaming at the Doctor "if you're gonna do something, you gotta do it NOW"

If that's how things turn out in the 50th tomorrow it'll be bloody brilliant. At least, I think.

Renzian fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 23, 2013

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

It's funny that you should bring up that, because that fake website (of which that picture is included) had something in it that has always stuck in my memory: An interview with a guy saying that he once saw a man matching that description, wearing fancy clothes, inconsolably ranting to nobody about how "he killed them all" and that they "were all gone". The implication, of course, is that this guy met 9 right after regenerating from 8.

I don't know why it's always stuck in my head, but the image of it was incredibly powerful. And in some way, I'm almost upset that it's been written out, even if it wasn't anything important.

Other thought:

I'm not sure if I should discuss this here or in the other thread, but I have to admit I'm worried that my expectations are too high for Day Of The Doctor. From what the trailers tell us, we've got the 10-and-11-working-together stuff. We've got the War Doctor/Time War stuff. We've got a Zygon Thing stuff. We might have that Things-Leaving-The-Paintings stuff. Even without knowing the specifics on how these aspects/plots work together, that's four big things for a 75-minute show. I wonder how they are going to pull that off, because each seems like something worthy of delving into.

I hope I'm wrong, but something makes me think I'm going to wind up disappointed.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 23, 2013

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

James R posted:

C.S. Lewis and Aldous Huxley both died on the same day of the same year, yet they are hardly mentioned, sadly. Yes, it's a shame that a President got assassinated, but it's not some holy untouchable moment.

Two elderly authors dying of natural causes vs. a young head of state of a superpower assassinated in mysterious circumstances. Hmm, I can't imagine why the anniversary of one of those is remembered more than the other two.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Two elderly authors dying of natural causes vs. a young head of state of a superpower assassinated in mysterious circumstances. Hmm, I can't imagine why the anniversary of one of those is remembered more than the other two.

As a non-American, neither can I. Both of the authors actually did something useful with their lives. Kennedy on the other hand was nothing more than a philandering prototype of Obama.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Tornhelm posted:

As a non-American, neither can I. Both of the authors actually did something useful with their lives. Kennedy on the other hand was nothing more than a philandering prototype of Obama.

You know there was that civil rights thing. Also Cuban Missile Crisis.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

You know there was that civil rights thing. Also Cuban Missile Crisis.

Well yeah, as I said - a prototype of Obama. He failed to invade Cuba and then pissed off the Russians to the point where they decided to build missiles in Cuba. There's also the interesting parallel between Kennedy's "humanitarian" efforts and his fondness for having people assassinated and Obamacare with his predilection towards droning people to death.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tornhelm posted:

Well yeah, as I said - a prototype of Obama. He failed to invade Cuba and then pissed off the Russians to the point where they decided to build missiles in Cuba. There's also the interesting parallel between Kennedy's "humanitarian" efforts and his fondness for having people assassinated and Obamacare with his predilection towards droning people to death.

Kennedy had many strengths and many weaknesses, but calling him a proto-Obama is so simplistic and ignorant for so many loving reasons.

Either way, including it in the special would be foolish, in my opinion, and not just because the Americans who consider his assassination a flashbulb memory would be taken straight out of the narrative.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tornhelm posted:

You're right, Kennedy only helped end centuries of horrid institutional oppression of Africans. CS Lewis wrote hamfisted allegories about lion Jesus. I'm a loving idiot for thinking Kennedy did something useful with his life in comparison.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

This is what we're reduced to when we have no spoilers a few hours before the show, eh?

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003
REDTEXTING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS YOU GUYS.

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.

Chairman Capone posted:

You're right, Kennedy only helped end centuries of horrid institutional oppression of Africans. CS Lewis wrote hamfisted allegories about lion Jesus. I'm a loving idiot for thinking Kennedy did something useful with his life in comparison.

CS Lewis was a theological giant and contributed greatly to Christian theology and understandings of God within the Christian faith. He's a pretty big figure, come on dude.

Anyways, any Doctor Who stuff that we can talk about to end this dumb derail?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yes please continue your politics discussion somewhere other than the Doctor Who Spoilers thread.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Astroman posted:

This is what we're reduced to when we have no spoilers a few hours before the show, eh?

CARROT Juice????

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Renzian posted:

CS Lewis was a theological giant and contributed greatly to Christian theology and understandings of God within the Christian faith. He's a pretty big figure, come on dude.

Yes yes, we all know he's good at writing fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This, can we not do this?

Please?

Not now.

Maybe later. You know, in the next 50 years.

• Locked thread