Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

I hope I'm not too late for Troper Tales. Some saved favorites:

quote:

This troper is a Celibate Hero, well, Celibate Villain, because he feels far too superior for something like romance. It's just human mating instinct no different from the kind every single animal on this planet has. Anyone with knowledge of biology can tell you that. That doesn't mean I don't have any urges when seeing anything of the nature to trigger such urges, but treats them as daily needs like eating, drinking and taking a bath, and that is all that needs to be said. The whole love mysticism on the other hand is utter bull. As is the whole misconception that getting a girlfriend is a man's most important goal in life. Sure having a girl is a status symbol, as the number of wives showed represented the power of a tribal leader in prehistoric times, and then some times later in certain cultures, but besides being disrespectful towards women, it is also a primitive atavism that I have grown out of. There are many things more important than finding a love interest. Like becoming rich, famous, and influential, eventually taking over the world. I find insults like 'no chance of getting laid' to be very childish. While it is most certainly true, it' not because I'm such a loser. It' because I've developed past the evolutionary stage where it's still significant.
This guy needs a business card with "celibate villain" on it.

quote:

This troper has had this happen exactly one time, and that was when he realized that his learning disabilities had caused him to push away the only girl...hell, the only person to ever love him for who he was. He sobbed hysterically, and while he was crying, was also busily shattering every mirror in his room (all 5 of them) with his bare hands, cutting the heck out of them, and all the while screaming "I am not a monster" over and over. The last one ended up with my 6 foot long Sephiroth Muramasa replica through it, since my hands were too bloody and the glass was too thick to break with my hands.
Surprisingly believable.

quote:

This troper has trained in using and caring for several firearms, to the point of being able to make a headshot with a Glock from 20 yards mid-stride (and is drat PROUD of it), all in case this troper is ever in an extreme survival situation (zombies, on run from government, secretly forced into centuries old assassin society, ect.). The current flaw lies in the fact this troper does not own a gun. But seriously, if the poo poo hit the fan, this troper could find one. After all, this troper is a U.S. citizen.
I need to know where I can go practice my midstride headshots.

quote:

This troper is a cyberbully hunter. Scarred from an awful experience with a particularly nasty flamer from fanfiction.net, she has vowed to ban all cyberbullies she sees on any of the many Wikias that she is a moderator of. When she sees another user being picked on, she is the first to stick up for them and report or ban the bully. She once said "I hate flamers with a burning passion deadlier than a forest fire." Sounds overdramatic, but not one bit of it is made up.
Hugbox perpetuator. I guess the anything-critical = bullying attitude has strong roots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

TVTropes Pleads the Fifth: "I hate flamers with a burning passion deadlier than a forest fire."

That shattering-mirrors story is amazing. It has reached that STDH.txt nirvana where the only thing sadder than the story itself is the possibility of someone making it up for attention. (I was going to ask if they actually sell 6-foot-long replicas of Sephiroth's stupid-rear end sword, but of course they do.)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Antivehicular posted:

TVTropes Pleads the Fifth: "I hate flamers with a burning passion deadlier than a forest fire."

That shattering-mirrors story is amazing. It has reached that STDH.txt nirvana where the only thing sadder than the story itself is the possibility of someone making it up for attention. (I was going to ask if they actually sell 6-foot-long replicas of Sephiroth's stupid-rear end sword, but of course they do.)

I want, genuinely want for this person's sake for that story to not be true. I can see, in a moment of weakness, posting some dumb story to fit into a community and then regretting it later but actually doing those things would mean enormous, overwhelming issues on many levels at once :(

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

crowfeathers posted:

I want, genuinely want for this person's sake for that story to not be true. I can see, in a moment of weakness, posting some dumb story to fit into a community and then regretting it later but actually doing those things would mean enormous, overwhelming issues on many levels at once :(

quote:

learning disabilities

Afraid you might be hoping in vain.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Who the gently caress has five mirrors in their bedroom?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

DStecks posted:

Someone who poses in front of them with their 6 foot long Sephiroth Muramasa replica, most likely.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DStecks posted:

Someone who accidentally broke one.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

You know its fake because no troper could ever lift a six foot sword, and if they could it'd be made of lovely cheap plastic and couldn't break any mirrors anyway.

The fact that the author wishes it was true says a lot more, really.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Headscratchers/Idiocracy

A whole lot of carrying on about a comedy film that was never supposed to be taken seriously. You know, carrying on about how "people haven't actually been getting dumber" or "these people are impossibly stupid" so it's a big case of not getting the joke.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Install Windows posted:

Someone who accidentally broke one.

He probably needed a friend to break one of them, because it was too hard.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Metal Loaf posted:

He probably needed a friend to break one of them, because it was too hard.

Better hope Nightwish doesn't come on his iPod because if it does he's going to kill you.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I posted this earlier in the thread, but as long as we're on Troper Tales I might as well post it again. It's from the page on "Dual Wielding":

quote:

No formal training beyond watching a crapton of anime, but I've trained both myself and my younger brother (who is surprisingly skilled for a six year old...he uses that size to his advantage) to swordfight. I taught him basic tactics, and allowed him to develop his own style. We currently differ, as he uses a full blown broomstick(I don't let him near the actual models...), and I counter with my shorter, nodachi-sized weapons. Very simple tactic, though effective, really. Parry, thrust. Win.

The first bolded part speaks for itself. As for the second, I'm not particularly knowledgable about Japanese swords, but weren't nodachi the really big ones they used against soldiers on horses?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

but weren't nodachi the really big ones they used against soldiers on horses?
Yes. Yes they were. It's actually in the name, and almost directly translates as "greatsword".

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Metal Loaf posted:

I posted this earlier in the thread, but as long as we're on Troper Tales I might as well post it again. It's from the page on "Dual Wielding":

The first bolded part speaks for itself. As for the second, I'm not particularly knowledgable about Japanese swords, but weren't nodachi the really big ones they used against soldiers on horses?

Its funny also because dual wielding outside of holding a dagger for parrying is totally pointless and no one did it. And the only reason people used the dagger is it would be awkward as gently caress to carry a buckler around everywhere. His elite self taught skills would not be so even if it was possible to learn swords from animes.

I also hope to god this is like an 11 year old.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Metal Loaf posted:

My favourite part of this is just how proud he is of beating a broom-wielding 6-year-old at swordfights. How does one man get to be so badass, teach me your secrets master sensei sir :allears:

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Metal Loaf posted:

I bet he was probably thinking of kodachi, which is literally "short sword", and could probably make a reasonable guess as to which anime he watched a crapton of.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Antivehicular posted:

The fact that he got the sword's name wrong makes that one double-hilarious.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I started trawling the TVTropes forums myself in the hopes of finding some content, and wandered into the World Building and Writers' Block subforums. Dear Jove is it painful to read. I need to read posts in short bursts because of how embarrassed I am by proxy.

quote:

I was wondering how I'd mix magic with war tactics. I suppose earth users would send boulders flying over the walls of a city (or hurl them at the walls), wind users would be able to send people flying, darkness users would be able to hide in the shadows and ambushing enemies etc., but all these ideas sound absurd to me.
I'm not sure if I should nerf that system quite a bit, simplify it or Take a Third Option. Help?

Now, people have already discussed how Tropers hate to change the rules of their work because they see it as canon. Easy ways to fix this don't seem to occur to them are: make magic really rare, make it difficult to learn, make mages non-partisan and untied to militaries, make magic dangerous for the user, make magic users suppressed because of the danger they pose to the reigning powers, change magic abilities to be more subtle, or making it less powerful over all. I came up with all of those in less than a minute. Now, let's see what other Tropers have to say.

quote:

What era you talking about? Also what sort of magic? We talking about stuff we could find in the D&D books kind of magic?
There was a D&D 3.5 Source book that had a section that nicely covered using monsters and magic in war.
Spells that spy, obscure, confuse, or misdirect are valuable. Things like lightning bolts, fire balls, shaking up the earth or manipulating stone or rock would be handy.
Healing magic would save lives and put boots back into the field. Magically enhanced projectiles like enchanted trebuchet stones or arrows.
Really there is a lot you can potentially do with magic.

Having trouble writing your own setting? Just steal it from someone else!

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Its funny also because dual wielding outside of holding a dagger for parrying is totally pointless and no one did it. And the only reason people used the dagger is it would be awkward as gently caress to carry a buckler around everywhere. His elite self taught skills would not be so even if it was possible to learn swords from animes.

I also hope to god this is like an 11 year old.

Ah, but you're forgetting Musashi.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

vaguely posted:

My favourite part of this is just how proud he is of beating a broom-wielding 6-year-old at swordfights. How does one man get to be so badass, teach me your secrets master sensei sir :allears:

I want to know why he is using a blade when his brother is using a broom?

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Now, people have already discussed how Tropers hate to change the rules of their work because they see it as canon. Easy ways to fix this don't seem to occur to them are: make magic really rare, make it difficult to learn, make mages non-partisan and untied to militaries, make magic dangerous for the user, make magic users suppressed because of the danger they pose to the reigning powers, change magic abilities to be more subtle, or making it less powerful over all. I came up with all of those in less than a minute. Now, let's see what other Tropers have to say.

It is interesting that all the examples are more offensive magic. There are no defensive magic or protective magic. That could be another way to make his world suck less.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Testekill posted:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Headscratchers/Idiocracy

A whole lot of carrying on about a comedy film that was never supposed to be taken seriously. You know, carrying on about how "people haven't actually been getting dumber" or "these people are impossibly stupid" so it's a big case of not getting the joke.

That's odd. Usually when I hear about "Idiocracy" online, it's about how real life is becoming more like the future society depicted in the movie. Guess TVTropes wants to be "different" or it's a classic case of "justnotgettingthefreakinpoint"-itis. Take two baseball bat blows to the head and call me in the morning -- never mind that I always let my calls go to voicemail and I erase them without checking them.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

PassTheRemote posted:

I want to know why he is using a blade when his brother is using a broom?

It is interesting that all the examples are more offensive magic. There are no defensive magic or protective magic. That could be another way to make his world suck less.

He could focus more on less direct uses of magic. If you can summon a fireball, wouldn't it stand to reason that you might be able to create a more controlled burn? Seems like that'd be useful in metallurgy, especially ones where keeping a constant temperature is necessary. Using wind to blow people around? What the gently caress? A navy would love a guy who can control wind. Earth magic for breaking down walls is all very well and good, but what about using it for mining instead, or mass preparation of land for agriculture?

:goonsay:

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Mention a random quirk of your setting, guys!

quote:

Imagine The Secret World meets Xanth meets Cthulhutech meets Discworld meets Dragonfable during a global war. Then you might get the idea of what Arcana is like. It's beautiful, it's frightening, it's full of puns and references and it is all glorious.

I'm betting it's not.

quote:

Rock N' Roll was actually invented by the Chief Divine before it created humanity, demons just took the idea, stylized it and made it better. It's worth noting that the Chief Divine is not a fan of Divinity Rock (The equivalent of Christian Rock on Arcana).

Continuing on the subject of musical deities, the god of metal (the physical substance) is also the god of heavy metal (the musical genre) and is itself a divine machine. This gives me an excuse to say "Yo dawg, I heard you like metal, so we have a man made of metal work on metal while he plays metal."

Hnnngh.

quote:

By the way, there's no such thing as weekdays and weekends except for primary and secondary schools. All services are constitutionally required to be available 24/7. As such, even management level workers who are working in a 5 day work week can randomly end up working during Saturday and Sundays.

I think this guy works retail. Or was like, really pissed he couldn't get his Cheetos.

quote:

Everyone- and I mean everyone- has a necklace made of holy silver, that the Moon Goddess personally leaves for them in their childhood. It's always carved with something that will be significant to their future or who they are, though not always in the obvious way- it's up to you how you'll interpret it, it's a very personal thing, what it means.

These necklaces can not be stolen or destroyed or lost, ever. Usually you get it between the ages of seven and ten.

We don't want to hear about your OC. Actually, the saddest thing about this is that I actually a read a sci-fi book in middle school along the same lines. I don't actually remember the title, but it something about how everyone had some kind of special 'godmark' or something. Of course, the protagonists didn't have them, and it mostly dealt their attempt to survive after being rejected by their society. But whatever, heaven loving forfend we inject a little drama into this thing.

quote:

Underground (possibly cyberpunk, yet to decide) fairies who fight their version of zombies constantly and are undergoing civil war, declare war on the sky/inner space-dwelling steampunk angels, but the humans in between in no-man's-land (fighting their own colossal war that the (planned) book follows) are largely oblivious.

:allears:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

quote:

It's beautiful, it's frightening

I am absolutely certain this person watches Doctor Who.

And the whole metal thing sounds like third rate Discworld, so mission accomplished, I guess?

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

Slime posted:

He could focus more on less direct uses of magic. If you can summon a fireball, wouldn't it stand to reason that you might be able to create a more controlled burn? Seems like that'd be useful in metallurgy, especially ones where keeping a constant temperature is necessary. Using wind to blow people around? What the gently caress? A navy would love a guy who can control wind. Earth magic for breaking down walls is all very well and good, but what about using it for mining instead, or mass preparation of land for agriculture?

These exact uses are explored in the Circle series by Tamora Pierce. Used to love that series as a kid.

Actually... let's see what Tropers have to say about that on--

quote:

Badass: All four of the kids.

Never mind.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Look at these idiots chase their tails over giant robot semantics.

sleeptalker posted:

Ah, but you're forgetting Musashi.

Explaining Miyamoto Musashi to people is hilarious because the dude was essentially a crazy hobo with a sword who spent all his time wandering around japan killing people for fun, and at some point the rest of Japanese society started thinking "poo poo, this guy must be doing something right" and turned him into a rockstar.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

mr. stefan posted:

Look at these idiots chase their tails over giant robot semantics.

Explaining Miyamoto Musashi to people is hilarious because the dude was essentially a crazy hobo with a sword who spent all his time wandering around japan killing people for fun, and at some point the rest of Japanese society started thinking "poo poo, this guy must be doing something right" and turned him into a rockstar.

Yeah, Musashi is a badass just for being one of the greatest swordsman of all time. His status as a murder-hobo who refused to clean himself gets underplayed a lot.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Miyamoto Musashi: The original Player Character.

Testekill posted:

Yeah, Musashi is a badass just for being one of the greatest swordsman of all time. His status as a murder-hobo who refused to clean himself gets underplayed a lot.
Except when they play up the "old drifter who stopped caring" aspect. Like Chuck from Walking Dead if he was a murderous socipoath.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

GreenMetalSun posted:

Imagine The Secret World meets Xanth meets Cthulhutech meets Discworld meets Dragonfable during a global war. Then you might get the idea of what Arcana is like. It's beautiful, it's frightening, it's full of puns and references and it is all glorious.

Holy poo poo. Let's take the worst parts of the worst settings as our inspiration. Can't see this going wrong!

Speaking of Cthulhu Tech, let's see what TV Tropes thinks about that! For those of you unfamiliar with it, Cthulhu Tech is a tabletop RPG that is a mash-up of Lovecraft (naturally, only the Cthulhu mythos, because who cares about anything else he's written?) and anime, specifically mecha (although it branches out into Pokemon and Akira). It also has weird sexual and racial overtones. As you can imagine, tropers love it.

quote:

Butterfly of Death and Rebirth: The Chrysalis Corporation uses one of these as their insignia. Incidentally, they also specialize in turning people into hybrid monsters. Symbolism anyone?

It is a well-known fact that Tropers have entire forgotten what symbolism is.

quote:

Jerkass: The Migou aren't utter evil like other antagonists. However, they think of humans no higher than labor animals and experiment subjects. They'll also kill every Nazzadi, even the loyalists, simply because they remind the Migou of their dismal failure.

Genocide and species-wide slavery: not evil, says Tv Tropes.

quote:

Green-Skinned Space Babe: Nazzadi women are often treated as such by the artists on this project. Seriously, go through the books and try to find one Nazzadi female who isn't Stripperiffic.

The fact that they have no nudity taboo doesn't help matters.

Hey, some self awareness! Maybe this huge page won't be so terrible after all!

quote:

Child by Rape: Most Deep One Hybrids, though hardly all.

Of course.

quote:

Cute Monster People: Subverted with the Horned Ones: they appear as this, but they are brainbending rape machines living to breed the armies of Shub-Niggurath.

Of course.

quote:

Everybody Has Lots of Sex: As part of the same process that legalized many illegal things (like drugs) in order to keep the general population sane, sexual morality became a lot looser: the average age when someones loses their virginity is 12; prostitution is legal and resembles modern-day Dutch practices; the porn industry rivals modern Hollywood; major porn stars are minor mainstream celebrities; and the sex in mainstream media is borderline softcore. Of course, Death Shadows and various other cults are trying to take this into Squick territory. There are indications that the cults set it up this way, and want to make it worse. Also see Free-Love Future below.

Of loving course.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

CthulhuTech is one of those rare ideas that's ruined not by its fans. Instead, it's ruined by the fact that it's an idea that could be done without making it creepy, but the only people who'd attempted are people who absolutely will make it creepy. The only person who willingly walks into a minefield is one who doesn't mind having his legs blown off.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

psy_wombats posted:

I hope I'm not too late for Troper Tales.

Same .

loving love how pretentious some of these are, like Genius Bonus.

quote:

* [[JohnnyBGoode This troper]] makes GeniusBonus IncrediblyLamePuns with his friends: mostly Shakespearean-sounding dick jokes and math-related puns on imaginary numbers.
Shakespearian sounding dick jokes...

quote:

* [[TsundeRay This troper]] decided to put the formula for arc length in one of his Facebook status updates, in the style of one of his friends, who semi-randomly brings up the quadratic formula and de Morgan's Laws in casual conversation. Big mistake; to this troper's non-computer science, [[EverybodyHatesMathematics math-hating]] friends, it was a form of MindRape.
loving dumbass jocks don't GET maths, it just destroys their feeble minds.

quote:

* On a website I was on a short time ago I was giving an example of a fictional president cheating in an election. I then said that I wasn't insinuating that any president cheated to win an election (except for a certain republican we all know about). Knowing some of the dumbasses on that site this counts as a genius bonus since I doubt many of them know that Nixon was a republican.
** You are my favorite person ever. It'd have been even better if you'd just said "a certain ''someone'' (I shouldn't have to tell you who)". Then let everyone who has proved the SevenYearRule throw their own political positions at you. It would be [[XanatosGambit marvelous.]]
Not sure what's more obnoxious here, the original poster thinking noone would understand a Bush reference, or the reply going on about loving Xanatos gambits.

quote:

* When [[TheRooster This troper]] watches MST3k or Rifftrax with friends, they'll laugh with him even if they don't get the joke under the assumption that it's a reference only he's getting, and a lot of the times it is, but sometimes it's nice to throw them off.
Only I understand the deep comedy of MST3K :rolleyes:

quote:

* Virtually every other sentence that comes out of this troper's science teacher's mouth is either this or a TakeThat. Naturally, this troper is the only one who understands any of it.
Sounds like a lovely teacher then imo.

quote:

* This troper has referenced {{Hyperion}}, SuzumiyaHaruhi, and {{Freelancer}} in his short stories. He even spent a paragraph on a ChekhovsGun, by describing a banner, with an AK-47 on it, with the words "This belongs to Chekhov!" under it. Dammit, nobody recognized it. Ah, it's like The Smart Man's Burden. (For all you tropers, it's a reference to Rudyard Kipling. Feel free to use that one.)
Truly only a genius would make such nuanced references to anims and videogames.

There's even more.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

The guy who thought Mulholland Drive's sex scene was a weird surprise that didn't tie in with the rest of the movie has inspired me to check out what they think of David Lynch. Honestly there isn't too much, which shouldn't surprise me. If they're scared of My Little Pony, they would avoid him like the plague.

David Lynch Tropes posted:

Meta Twist: Blue Velvet

Wait, did Blue Velvet have a twist? Nope, a MetaTwist is when you're expecting a twist, but there isn't one. It's a trope!

David Lynch Tropes posted:

Shrug of God: Lynch flatly refuses to explain his movies, and that goes times ten for how he made Eraserhead's baby.

This must drive them insane.

Blue Velvet posted:

Ho Yay: Booth - purveyor of depraved, squicky ho yay.

This made it onto the main page, while the bit listing Frank as a "Complete Monster" got shunted to YMMV. So did "NoYay", which is when someone hits on another character and it's not sexy. People shipping Frank and Jeffrey is more acceptable than people saying that Frank just might not be a great guy.

Blue Velvet posted:

True Art Is Incomprehensible

Of all the Lynch films to put that loving trope on. I had to check that page to see if it meant something completely different, as tropes are wont to do, but it brought me into the world of tropers critiquing literary criticism and I got mad and had to stop.

Mulholland Drive posted:

Fanservice: Naomi Watts and Laura Harring

Ugh. Honestly, the entire Mulholland Drive page seems to be an ongoing war between people who tried to understand it, the "true art is incomprehensible" people, and the "I forgot everything but the lesbian sex scene and the masturbation scene" people.

The Twin Peaks page was boring, aside from my first encounter with DoubleStandardRapeDivineOnMortal, which is probably old news here.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nolanar posted:

Wait, did Blue Velvet have a twist? Nope, a MetaTwist is when you're expecting a twist, but there isn't one. It's a trope!
The sad thing is, they already have a name for that. It's The Untwist, and it's when it's so bleedingly obvious that there's going to be a twist, that there isn't one is the twist.

Which they then had to remove examples from because it was drowning in inane examples. Yes, the page got that bad.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Nolanar posted:

The Twin Peaks page was boring, aside from my first encounter with DoubleStandardRapeDivineOnMortal, which is probably old news here.

Actually that trope is news to me, but not surprising.

A simple search for "Double Standard Rape" features pages of results, which include gems like this or this.

Tropers, please don't "play with" rape.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

quote:

Ah, it's like The Smart Man's Burden. (For all you tropers, it's a reference to Rudyard Kipling. Feel free to use that one.)

Wait, they do get that people don't remember The White Man's Burden favorably, right? At best people will say "Rudyard Kipling was a complicated individual" and at worst he's grouped with L. Frank Baum in the "There are plenty of books for my kids to read that weren't written by crazy racists." category.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

All of the Double Standard Rape pages used to be named "Rape Is Okay When It's [Whatever] On [Whatever]". The admins changed it after too many tropers started interpreting those names literally.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

All of the Double Standard Rape pages used to be named "Rape Is Okay When It's [Whatever] On [Whatever]". The admins changed it after too many tropers started interpreting those names literally.
Because of course they did.

:tvtropes:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
It's even dumber than that. When Google yanked the site's ads for all their rapey content and generally for the fact tropers are worthless wastes of oxygen who should stop taking up resources the rest of us could use, Fast Eddie tried to get them back by just literally changing the names of/deleting any article with the word "Rape" in the title. No content changes, just taking out the literal word rape.

Naturally, you can guess what happened to pages about things like the Grapes of Wrath.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

It's even dumber than that. When Google yanked the site's ads for all their rapey content and generally for the fact tropers are worthless wastes of oxygen who should stop taking up resources the rest of us could use, Fast Eddie tried to get them back by just literally changing the names of/deleting any article with the word "Rape" in the title. No content changes, just taking out the literal word rape.

Naturally, you can guess what happened to pages about things like the Grapes of Wrath.

Ah, precious memories. But as I recall the google ad removal happened years before the removal of the word "rape", because it was prior to any troperthreads. The google ad thing resulted in them removing their Fetish Fuel section and instead being (slightly) less open about their desire to gently caress cartoon characters.

Iirc Fast Eddie actually did that blanket removal of the word "rape" as a result of goon criticism, cause it was right before the gassing of the last pure troperthread.

I know far too much TVTrope history to be healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

GreenMetalSun posted:

quote:

Everyone- and I mean everyone- has a necklace made of holy silver, that the Moon Goddess personally leaves for them in their childhood. It's always carved with something that will be significant to their future or who they are, though not always in the obvious way- it's up to you how you'll interpret it, it's a very personal thing, what it means.

These necklaces can not be stolen or destroyed or lost, ever. Usually you get it between the ages of seven and ten.

We don't want to hear about your OC. Actually, the saddest thing about this is that I actually a read a sci-fi book in middle school along the same lines. I don't actually remember the title, but it something about how everyone had some kind of special 'godmark' or something. Of course, the protagonists didn't have them, and it mostly dealt their attempt to survive after being rejected by their society. But whatever, heaven loving forfend we inject a little drama into this thing.

A month or two ago, my friends and I had marathon of mecha animes. One of them was Broken Blade, set in a world where people were born knowing how to psychically manipulate quartz.(It's possibly our own world's future, after some great war bullshit) Technology was all quartz based. Cars, tools, giant quartz powered mecha with quartz powered bolt-guns and quartz swords :black101: all ran on thought-power... unless you were born WITHOUT that ability, a rare soul that was deemed an 'Unsorcerer'. It was viewed as a curiosity and a disability. Guess what the protagonist is! Now, guess who's the only kind of person who can operate the super-powered ancient 'golem' they just dug up?

My main point is, the whole 'Rudolph the red nose reindeer' (or 'All of the Other Reindeer' as tropers call it) is certainly not original, but it can still be used to make an effective story and a pretty kickass setting for a mecha RPG. It can be used to make a character more interesting - the protagonist's father insisted on his son attending military school, despite being unable to ever pilot a 'golem', and the kid did pretty well before dropping out, and befriended a classmate, who happened to be the crown prince.

And that's just the thing - there's so much more to a good story than one single trope (and I'm not necessarily calling Broken Blade a good story, but it's just an example of that particular trope). There's nothing bad about studying tropes, but it has led to this huge 'missing the forest for the trees' kind of mentality where everything is categorized into neat little labels and thrown together in an effort to make a good story - without realizing the effort and time it takes to meld all those tropes into a story that's actually engaging for others to read.

One can learn a lot from watching a lot of cooking shows. You can also learn a lot from reading cook books! And you can study and neatly label everything in your spice rack. The problem with troper mentality is they still manage to just loving wing it when it comes to dumping poo poo into the pot, and expect their poo poo stew to appeal to other people.

In GreenMetalSun's example, the author describes just one ingredient of their poo poo stew. What's about this Goddess? Is she really real or is it another entity posing as her? Why did people come to worship her image? Why does she leave a necklace, why does she assign symbols, and what makes the silver 'holy'? Why would she skip people? What do you mean 'it never gets lost?', what happens if someone gets lost and dies in the forest? There's actually a lot of ways to make something like that an interesting story, but only if you take those kinds of things into consideration. The creator of Broken Blade actually did, and ignoring the usual anime bullshit How the gently caress is that busty woman in the enemy mech only 12? Really?, was successful in making a fun story.

Sorry! I didn't start out to effortpost, but I find TVT fascinating. I still think that studying tropes is fun, but the site does itself no favors by inventing its own lingo, a troper 'culture', and that whole pedo thing. I cringe when people try and apply tropes to real life, and the fact that Fallout Equestria, a shitshow that's longer than War & Peace, has a trope page longer than the one for War & Peace.

In short, gently caress tropers. And also:

Namtab posted:

I know far too much TVTrope history to be healthy.

:(:respek::(

• Locked thread